Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I remember from Carnivale was how Clancy Brown didn't like the black contacts he had to wear sometimes. They were apparently super rough on the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Here comes the next AMC cancellation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSmrfqs3EM

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

thexerox123 posted:

Time will tell, since it doesn't return until January, but the original showrunner is back in control, and they've announced a lot of great guest stars for this season, so I'm hopeful, at least!

However, Chevy Chase is no longer in it, and Donald Glover will only be in 5/13 episodes this season. :(

Donald Glover is a loss, but Chevy Chase clearly stopped giving a gently caress somewhere during Season 3, and dragged down pretty much any scene he was in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Here comes the next AMC cancellation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSmrfqs3EM

You have no idea how much I want this show to succeed. And I know it probably won't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thexerox123 posted:

Time will tell, since it doesn't return until January, but the original showrunner is back in control, and they've announced a lot of great guest stars for this season, so I'm hopeful, at least!

If we can look forward to more episodes like the last half of season 3, you might as well kill off that hope right now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Boogaleeboo posted:

As for the Crow, I suppose there is technically room for an actual Crow story about the comic version which is....different to say the least. A lot of the basic ideas are there, but it's very much more of a psychological examination of loss than a dude going all Punisher blasting away. I'm just not sure why you'd *want* to make that movie, as it's a lot harder to convey and I don't know that it translates super well.
I've never had a problem with remakes of adaptations, they don't get knee-jerk negative reaction from me like a remake of a movie with an original screenplay typically does. If someone wants to try making another Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter in 20 years, have at it. Don't know if you'll be as successful, though.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 7, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mo0 posted:

Donald Glover is a loss, but Chevy Chase clearly stopped giving a gently caress somewhere during Season 3, and dragged down pretty much any scene he was in.

Are you implying that Chevy Chase ever gave a gently caress?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Conduit for Sale! posted:

There are moments in the first six episodes where Chevy is clearly enjoying himself, involved and giving it his all.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 7, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

He really gave his all in Nothing But Trouble and Cops and Robbersons.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

NBC could do Oaklahoma, Hugh Jackman would probably do it if you gave him $5 and lunch.

I can't really complain too much about that. I'm looking at paying a $100 per ticket to see the touring company production of the 'Book of Mormon.' I would love to be able to see all the hot Broadway plays on Thursday nights.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hah, you've reminded me that while I was criticising DS9's writing I forgot what is probably their biggest hubristic gently caress you. In an act of sabotage verging on the offensive they created Section 31. Ostensibly so that Bashir and O'Brian would have a reason to go around being Bro-Team (because no one had the backbone to just make them gay) the writers decided to explicitly undermine the central tenets of a universe that they didn't create. Every high-minded ideal of the characters and the show itself goes out of the window because Moore et-al wanted to do a (remarkably poor quality) X-files rip off, in space.

"Prime Directive? Nah gently caress those aliens. Exploration and science? No way, that's for homos. Let's get some mysterious Men in Black, it'll be so cool."

And there are people who profess to love the ideals of the franchise who unquestioningly eat it up because, presumably, they've been too busy watching Star Trek to be exposed to any scifi that's actual scifi and not a fantasy show about men in pyjamas (and occasionally skirts).

For a far better take on a galactic society that goes around arrogantly pushing its utopian ideals on other races, I suggest the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks. The Culture is like a better thought out Federation, that actually makes sense because it's built on top of brilliant, individualistic A.I.s, but they're massively arrogant, and have an agency called Contact whose mission statement is the direct opposite of the Prime Directive. Man, I think the setting of the Culture novels would make an amazing television series, but it will never happen. :smith:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pierce is really well written and when Chase made it work, it loving worked. I think he's a loss to they dynamic of the show, not as much as Troy will be. I really don't know how they're going to write around that.

E: Honestly, I can't remember a moment that sticks out to me as "man he's doing bad there"

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 7, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ya

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 6, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

At the bare minimum for the first season it really felt like he was giving it all he had and really cared. Then he decided he was too good for the show or something and just visibly wasn't trying as hard. Then, in the third season, it felt like they were writing around him to get him either off screen for an episode or off by himself so he would be out of the way.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Edit: wrong thread, sorry folks.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Spatula City posted:

For a far better take on a galactic society that goes around arrogantly pushing its utopian ideals on other races, I suggest the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks. The Culture is like a better thought out Federation, that actually makes sense because it's built on top of brilliant, individualistic A.I.s, but they're massively arrogant, and have an agency called Contact whose mission statement is the direct opposite of the Prime Directive. Man, I think the setting of the Culture novels would make an amazing television series, but it will never happen. :smith:

RIP Iain Banks :smith:

I'd love to see this too but I honestly can't envision how some of the more high-concept stuff, which is the best stuff in those books, could ever be translated to the screen without devolving into an meaningless arty mess similar to the ending of 2001 space oddessy.

E.g. how would you do the "off switch" chapter in Excession?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I loathe Chevy Chase, but he's legitimately good in Community.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Cactus posted:

RIP Iain Banks :smith:

WHAT. I didn't even know he died. That's a loving bummer.

All the M novels I read had Problems with a capital P (except maybe Player of Games) but the Culture novels had one of the best settings I've ever read and the Culture themselves were fascinating.

I thought there were murmurs of a movie adaptation of one of the Culture novels? Consider Phlebas maybe? It's the worst book of the series by far but it would be the easiest to make into a movie. That or Player of Games, but somehow I don't think people would go see a movie about Space Chess, even if it's really awesome Space Chess.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Slamhound posted:

Despite mocking him less than an hour ago, I do like the guy. I'm usually a big fan of people who manage to be stars despite themselves, though, and with his ego, he is his own worst enemy in the industry.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mo0 posted:

At the bare minimum for the first season it really felt like he was giving it all he had and really cared. Then he decided he was too good for the show or something and just visibly wasn't trying as hard. Then, in the third season, it felt like they were writing around him to get him either off screen for an episode or off by himself so he would be out of the way.

Can you give some examples of this?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Oh I thought he was great in Community, but I also thought his "thing" was not caring about anyone or anything ever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oh I thought he was great in Community, but I also thought his "thing" was not caring about anyone or anything ever.

This is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELNMWfyfRHA

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
There's seriously gotta be somewhere to talk about Eagleheart.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

There's seriously gotta be somewhere to talk about Eagleheart.

Let's talk about it here.

It's great.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

WHAT. I didn't even know he died. That's a loving bummer.

All the M novels I read had Problems with a capital P (except maybe Player of Games) but the Culture novels had one of the best settings I've ever read and the Culture themselves were fascinating.

I thought there were murmurs of a movie adaptation of one of the Culture novels? Consider Phlebas maybe? It's the worst book of the series by far but it would be the easiest to make into a movie. That or Player of Games, but somehow I don't think people would go see a movie about Space Chess, even if it's really awesome Space Chess.

I could see the setting being used I guess, but you would still need to invent some genius new filming/cgi techniques to represent the AI's, how they think and communicate with each other, and essentially run society. Like, even the concept of a "gun", what it is and what it does is just so much more than what you think at face value (see the culture short story in The State of the Art).

I think more could be done with the social aspects, such as the fact anyone can transition from one gender to the other at will and it is seen as a normal thing to do a few times in life. No-one has to work so the purpose of existence is to simply enjoy yourself in any way you can imagine. Everyone has drug glands they can use at will that have various effects for different whims/situations. Sex is completely non-taboo, whether it is in groups, in public, with same or opposite sex partner(s), the list goes on.

The right-wing media would poo poo a brick if the Culture ever came to our screens.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Cactus posted:

The right-wing media would poo poo a brick if the Culture ever came to our screens.

Doubtful, it's not very interesting inside the Culture. I mean no-one has any real conflicts, or does anything that matters, and they can make themselves happy at will, and they sort of exist until they get bored and stop existing. It might sound liberal as a proposal, but as a setting it's pretty loving boring. The boring bit kind of takes the sting out for even the most harsh conservative. There's a reason why quite literally every single Culture story has nothing to do with the average member of the Culture. When even your story admits "Yeah, all biological citizens of the Culture are probably totally irrelevant to the Culture", it's not really compelling commentary on anything. And as for the stories themselves? The Culture is diplomatically pretty much a neocons wet dream. It's just wall to wall interfering in lesser civilizations for their own good, by whatever means necessary, totally justified by your own innate development and moral superiority, with technology so advanced there is no risk to you for doing so. Rumsfeld just came, and he doesn't even know why.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tupping Liberty posted:

I would watch musicals live on Thursdays. Every time I see a Fathom Events commercial for the Met Operas at the movie theater, I wish they were also doing Broadway shows for those of us who live so, so far away from any big city where the plays tour.

Go to the opera showings. Better singing, better music.
Start with Mozart, Donizetti, Offenbach, Rossini, early Verdi, or Carmen. Good stuff,I promise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Opera costs like 50+ bucks if you don't want to sit in the bleachers.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Not for the fathom events they have on weekend days in the local movie theaters.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Long spergy tl;dr post incoming.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Doubtful, it's not very interesting inside the Culture. I mean no-one has any real conflicts, or does anything that matters, and they can make themselves happy at will, and they sort of exist until they get bored and stop existing. It might sound liberal as a proposal, but as a setting it's pretty loving boring. The boring bit kind of takes the sting out for even the most harsh conservative. There's a reason why quite literally every single Culture story has nothing to do with the average member of the Culture. When even your story admits "Yeah, all biological citizens of the Culture are probably totally irrelevant to the Culture", it's not really compelling commentary on anything. And as for the stories themselves? The Culture is diplomatically pretty much a neocons wet dream. It's just wall to wall interfering in lesser civilizations for their own good, by whatever means necessary, totally justified by your own innate development and moral superiority, with technology so advanced there is no risk to you for doing so. Rumsfeld just came, and he doesn't even know why.

Except none of them would take that deep a reading of it, they'd just see the superficial sex and drugs and liberalness of it all and want to ban the sick filth.

Anyway that's beside the point, this is an interesting article by Iain Banks on the Culture he created, and I recommend it as a very good read even if (especially if) you haven't read any Culture books. It's such a rich, imaginitive setting to explore you can't possibly be suggesting there wouldn't be enough opportunities for stories, characters and situations to interact with each other in a TV series.

Everything you said in your post about how boring it might become to live in that society, effectively being immortal until you decide to stop existing, having the technology available to remove all risk from everything you do, so you have to choose to remove the safety nets yourself for any kind of real thrill. The sheer difference in worldview inhabitents of such a society would have from us, along with the necessity of having a separate imperialistic interventionist wing (Special Circumstances) for the society to a) defend against potential threats to its existence and b) for the hell of it because it's more interesting to have than not have - all of that could be fascinating themes to explore.

As automation increases along with population in our world, we're going to have to transition from a work-based to a leisure-based society in the next few hundred years if war or climate doesn't wipe most of us out first, and the Culture is that idea taken to its extreme conclusion, with the benevolent AI's turning the Skynet trope on its head.

That's what sci-fi is (or should be) about, taking issues of today and postulating what the millenia-after-tommorow might look like once we've solved them, what new issues might arise, or how the same issues might re-surface under a different guise. Not just a replication of today's stories except guns are replaced with laser guns, vehicles with spaceships, continents with planets and nationalities with different rubber forehead moulds. A good sci-fi concept for the 1950's, for example, would have been to explore how society and the world might be different if every human had access to all the information in the world, and could record events unfolding and communicate an infinite number of copies of footage of those events instantly to every other human in the world at the touch of a button. Well, we're now slowly finding out what that's like, but most of the sci-fi at the time was just a re-enactment of stuff like the colonisation of the wild west or the world wars with sci-fi iconography attached.

The Culture is everything Star Trek wanted and failed to be. Iain M Banks is to Gene Roddenberry what Vince Gilligan is to Kurt loving Sutter.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cactus posted:

The Culture is everything Star Trek wanted and failed to be. Iain M Banks is to Gene Roddenberry what Vince Gilligan is to Kurt loving Sutter.

I couldn't agree with this more. It's why I hate how dominant Star Trek (which is the dictionary definition of anodyne) is in the popular perception of science fiction. Science fiction on TV is choked by poisonous weeds like Star Trek and Eureka that only pay the barest superficial lip-service to what scifi actually is and can be, while using the label as a cover for laziness and pandering.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Except neocons don't do anything because "it's for their own good". They do it to expand power and as a result expand capital. In a neocon future being a bird would be banned and if it wasn't it'd certainly cost money.

The culture is a bunch of machine intelligences at a level just below god-hood. The biological members of the culture exist because those machine intelligence's, the minds, are not evil. The minds do not need them. They just coexist because why not. That itself is a commentary on pragmatism. It might be a net gain if the biologicals were all broken down into their component particles, unfortunately fatal, and used for more valuable things. But they don't. Because that would be "wrong". Meaning the minds have a higher level concept of "wrong" than you can even imagine. Considering the realm that the minds do their thinking then right and wrong are real concepts, as real as an apple feels when holding it is to us.

In summary, agreed, this is in line with neocon thought.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Guys, Glee did a Xmas episode and it was really good. I don't know how to handle this :ohdear:

Seriously, look at this goddam beautiful thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3k0ATmUZM

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Shouldn't Tina have graduated two seasons ago??

regulargonzalez posted:

Go to the opera showings. Better singing, better music.
Start with Mozart, Donizetti, Offenbach, Rossini, early Verdi, or Carmen. Good stuff,I promise.

Good, but kinda dull and in a foreign language.

Opera is like J-Pop for theater nerds. They can't understand the lyrics, the music is outdated and nobody they talk to gives a poo poo about it, but at least its not *ugh* top 40s pop Broadway.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 7, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

Shouldn't Tina have graduated two seasons ago??

Tina and Artie were retconned to be a year younger than the others and then S4 only covered part of the school year so senior graduation is scheduled for some point in the middle of this season because Ryan Murphy.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rarity posted:

Tina and Artie were retconned to be a year younger than the others and then S4 only covered part of the school year so senior graduation is scheduled for some point in the middle of this season because Ryan Murphy.

I can see it now. American Horror Story: Lima.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

So how far down the shitter has Homeland gone this season? I'm not seeing much talk surrounding it and that I have seen has been vaguely negative. Did the it's going to go like 24 predictions from the first season finally reach fruition?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cactus posted:

So how far down the shitter has Homeland gone this season? I'm not seeing much talk surrounding it and that I have seen has been vaguely negative. Did the it's going to go like 24 predictions from the first season finally reach fruition?
Put it this way: some episode reviews read "hey, this episode wasn't actually poo poo". So that's what the bar is these days, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Cactus posted:

If you can make it past the big "shocking" gimmick reveal in the third or fourth episode the season isn't bad. I'm enjoying it more than I did last season.

• Locked thread