Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

GrabbinPeels posted:

Alpha Zeta Oph Majoris VI a (X -45255476 Y 6905122)

Is also a low threat planet with a ship to the left. Just build straight up when you find an anchor. Guns are 3-600ish pixels.

Well I found them, and they do sell guns and other cool stuff, but they are all Armor Penetration 1. So pretty much useless at this point since I'm able to do level 5+ planets. But thanks though, wanted to check out the sky pirate stuff anyway.

If anyone has the coordinates on a good level 5+ gun or merchant that sells em, please share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I started a new Hylotl and my first planet had poison lakes and trees that dropped plant fibre, and no wood or coal in sight. :slick: On the bright side I found a few toxic chests with toxic blueprints within.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Damo posted:

Well I found them, and they do sell guns and other cool stuff, but they are all Armor Penetration 1. So pretty much useless at this point since I'm able to do level 5+ planets. But thanks though, wanted to check out the sky pirate stuff anyway.

If anyone has the coordinates on a good level 5+ gun or merchant that sells em, please share.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/preview?sle=true

That gdoc should have what you need. :)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Onean posted:

Those Set Home and Go Home buttons on your navigation screen? That does exactly what you want here. I definitely would like to see more, maybe a system that allows you to add a note to planets, and then highlights any stars/planets in the system map that you've noted.
Ooooohhhhh. Geez I'm dense.

As for the combat, I'm cool with them trying out different systems during the beta rather than leaving things unbalanced.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know if it was part of the latest beta patch or not but the game seems to run much more smoothly for me now. Also I finally have enough materials to craft tools and the like so the game is 10x more fun now that I'm not digging and chopping with the matter manipulator.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Yeah, the first thing you should do on landing is chop down a tree and a 3x3 block of stone to make a pick, then use the pick to make an axe, then you're set.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Anybody who doesn't set up two different-tone gongs and Gong Along with your bitchin harmonica band is doing it Wrong.

I am just floored by the amount of content and things you can interact with in this game, major props to the developers just for that alone. I want to walk up to EVERYTHING and hit 'e'.

Also hurray for huge patch and changes!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

This game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Just picked this game up. It's pretty interesting so far. Feels like there's a lot more to discover than Terraria.

Is there any way to talk to NPCs? The only interaction option I've found so far is murder. Make no mistake, it's worked out pretty well so far, but it seems like there should be a diplomacy option.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

I've noticed that sometimes it seems like if you leave a planet with partially grown crops, they'll be fresh ungrown plantings when you return. I need to test this more thoroughly.
I just let some wheat grow a step, beam out, and beam back and it was still partially grown, I guess I was wrong.

EDIT: Switching planets also did not revert the growing status.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 7, 2013

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Rocketlex posted:

Just picked this game up. It's pretty interesting so far. Feels like there's a lot more to discover than Terraria.

Is there any way to talk to NPCs? The only interaction option I've found so far is murder. Make no mistake, it's worked out pretty well so far, but it seems like there should be a diplomacy option.

Not yet, for now it's murderous psychopath or nothing! There are some 'shopkeeper' NPCs who will sell you stuff, but generic dudes are there for you to kill them and take their stuff.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Press E.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My only regret about the upcoming save wipe will be losing my awesome harmonica. Oh and my cool scientist outfit. :sigh:

Other than that, looking forward to the changes, I hope combat is improved. Though I wish we were able to upgrade the matter manipulator instead of just making/upgrading pickaxes.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My only regret about the upcoming save wipe will be losing my awesome harmonica.

Mine is the blink tech :( I'd happily sacrifice all other items if I could keep that.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My only regret about the upcoming save wipe will be losing my awesome harmonica. Oh and my cool scientist outfit. :sigh:

Other than that, looking forward to the changes, I hope combat is improved. Though I wish we were able to upgrade the matter manipulator instead of just making/upgrading pickaxes.

Yeah, I wasn't too bummed about the wipe since I can easily get everything I have back, especially with the google docs to hunt down some tech. Then I remembered my Violin! :qq:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I have a harp, a keytar, a harmonica, and...I don't know, some other thing. I'm sad that I'll be losing my harp. A robot woman in a black dress and an iron helmet playing a harp was goddamned majestic, I tell you!

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
The only things I will be unhappy about losing are my wedding dress, ladies hat, and overdriven guitar. The power of rock 'n' roll will reunite us, though.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
For those of you wishing you could just upgrade your matter manipulator instead of using "caveman tier" pickaxes, now you can!

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/matter-manipulator-plus-new-manipulators-for-each-pickaxe-tier.39764/

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm glad to see the whole armor penetration combat model is getting scrapped. It was just so... Euro. Rigid and joyless and metric. gently caress yeah for large, arbitrary numbers that get larger and more arbitrary as gameplay progresses. :911:

Hopefully they add compelling incentives to explore the underground outside of looking for a meatcore comedy planet. Right now I already feel like I'm running into the meta-knowledge problem of "oh, it's a glitch castle planet."

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I actually kind of liked the armor penetration thing, not for what it actually is, but as some sort of weapon level.
Of course that gets thrown out of the window with hammers, but eh.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought I saw someone mention that Crystals turn into diamond somehow but I can't find any way to do that. Are diamonds just found the same way ore is?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Turns out that my planet didn't have an ice core. It just had a big ice layer above (at least part of) the lowest rock layer (blastrock), which was in turn above the molten core. Found some neat fire and ice areas though.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

I finally figured out how to setup a server. I will be running a dedicated one off one of my desktops here shortly. You fine gents/ladies are free to join. We might have to setup different levels of planets or help out the newer starboundiens with armor and goodies if we setup on a higher level planet. From what I have seen when you create a server, your own planet is there with everything that you have done to it (with the character you have selected), as well as other players planets. I will fiddle around tomorrow with the server some more. If anyone has any questions on setting one up please shoot it my way.

The server will be generic with no mods unless they are beneficial to goon-kind.

Equate fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 7, 2013

Liverslapper
Jun 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The music in this game had to of been heavily influenced by Cosmos. You can't listen to the title screen song and think of it.

Liverslapper fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 7, 2013

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
Sorry if this has been discussed, but how is the server hosting in this game? I had a terrible time trying to get people to connect to my server in Terraria outside of LAN play. Even after port forwarding there were serious issues.

Any hope of getting an official server browser? Is it impossible to program the game to use Steams server browser?

Edit: I know this is by a different developer than Terraria. Everyone keeps comparing the two though so I assumed they were perhaps on the same engine. Either way I'm still curious about server hosting.

SolitarySolidarity fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 7, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Came across my first base on that second world. God drat it's a good thing I crafted that Basic shield (thanks to there being like, 5 times more iron on this ball of snow and slush than my forest world), though threat 1 + Current Snow Gear protective power means the shots that slipped by didn't oneshot me, just hurt.

All the tiny robots were friendly :3: Except for the little white bots with gun arms that put bubble shields aruond themselves (to no apparent effect) not shown. And I could still (to no apparent effect) toggle the hand scanner despite comments.

And this guy went crazy like rambo for a few seconds, before his gun petered out to a mere 3 shots a second.

I also did not realize until cramming them into the scanner to scan, that even the mere act of scanning takes pixels :doh: Fortunately I had scanned the practical things like toilet, fridge, sliding doors, soda machine, and space heater's first before the pixels ran dry with barley any of my 'one of each cool item' taken to the point of full inventory touched.

All four of the dropped weapons were two handers though. Two super lovely (slow as hell too) compared to my crafted with TWO Iron bars "Pecker" little knife (5 Pen, 2.04 speed, 18 DMG) which oneshots the ice world wildlife, and takes out the robot soldiers in 4 hits or so.
The other two were the "Pathetic Prodder" Axe, which is super fast! (2.97), 3 Armor pen, and lights things on fire... with 9 damage. It took several (fast) swings to take out the wildlife. who tried to put themselves out in water but couldn't. HOW DOES IT FEEL rear end in a top hat!?

I also found a 'Feeble' stick spear with 3 Armor pen, but same speed, damage, and poison effect. That one still actually oneshots the T1 wildilfe, but cant use a shield alongside it to help against people with, you know, GUNS.

EDIT: Unrelated, I've noticed seemingly identical snow and dirt from the same world have been ending up in separate stacks that I can not combine.
... Though, on closer examination. The snow not cooperating is sliiiiiiiiiightly different color (I blame my need of glasses to not tell). The dirt is probably a case of 'Identical looking dirt from first world, does not stack with dirt from world it orbits'. Though that one I cant tell any visual difference even on closer look.

EDIT Two: Oh gently caress you plants on starter forest world. I don't need you to grow even after over a week on ANOTHER PLANET, I can grow wheat and feathercrowns and peppers on my ship <:mad:>

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 7, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What is the site that creates the abc music files, and what are the most popular ones to spam at other goons so far?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Ships are for scum.

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap

SWAGBOT has a long way to go to live upto it's randomly generated pink noble shirt.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

If anybody is looking for an easy pulse jump tech there's one pretty much right at spawn on:
X 36814905 Y -83702651
Beta Triaci Minoris I
I already added it to the google doc

Also, while killing the UFO on day one it didn't despawn after it killed me (twice), which was really nice seeing as how I was plinking away at it 3 damage at a time.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Section Z posted:

Came across my first base on that second world. God drat it's a good thing I crafted that Basic shield (thanks to there being like, 5 times more iron on this ball of snow and slush than my forest world), though threat 1 + Current Snow Gear protective power means the shots that slipped by didn't oneshot me, just hurt.

Shields really trivialize a lot of things, and I'm really glad I got an apparoximately level 10 one from a rare monster instead of another weapon now, paired with a level 10 pistol it made te Penguins a breeze, plus a red stimpack just in case.
I wonder how would it have fared against them before they got nerfed.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I might be a dumbass, but I'm having some issues using the coordinates in the google doc. I'm trying to buy a decent gun since I have 6k pixels and don't want to lose a third to a fall death :v:.

X= 59877410 Y= -70634422
Alpha Umbraxion 1207 II

Is there a way to fly directly there? Using those coords in the map screen when zoomed out, I get 'an' area of space that I can't seem to find an Alpha Umbraxion systemin.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

It should be near the center of the screen, make sure you include the - signs. You're looking for just "Alpha Umbraxion 1207" on the map then inside there the planet with a II

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Found a lot of goodies (including two techs!) at x1989 y 2008 Alpha AI Dibain 6052 Id

Anyone have some hints on where to find silver?

I did a runaround on this planet, couldn't find the techs you mentioned, where were they? Underground? Hiding? Also which techs were they?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
People keep loving with the googledoc, goons being goons and all that. Or filthy pubbies. Maybe it'd be a better idea to make a form that inputs things into a editable spreadsheet instead, to prevent tampering.

gently caress goons.

That said, the update will probably make it all null and void.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Hmm... Do I look evil enough yet?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh god. After blazing through the snow, slush, ice, and dirt with my copper pickaxe, going back to digging through cobblestones is horrible. So I decided I'd use the Iron I still had to make an Iron Pickaxe but there isn't one, it skips to silver and I've only found 13 Silver ore so far across both these worlds :shepicide:

I guess part of why it felt like there was so much coal and iron on the ice world wasn't just the RNG, but also for how deep and how fast you can go through a world where the hardest thing I've seen so far has been Ice. That and Iron and silver do not blend in with cobblestones. Turns out I've walked past a single piece of silver ore constantly in the past next to the house on the forest world, in the cobblestone right under my feet. That and the ice world only having ramming style enemies compared to "Everything has a rapid projectile attack except these two monsters, one easy, one still taking multiple hits with iron weapons at night".

qnqnx posted:

Shields really trivialize a lot of things, and I'm really glad I got an apparoximately level 10 one from a rare monster instead of another weapon now, paired with a level 10 pistol it made te Penguins a breeze, plus a red stimpack just in case.
I wonder how would it have fared against them before they got nerfed.

Even with the shield, even with the Snow Gear, my starter world monsters rapid attacks can slip in between the time it takes to swing my weapon and murder them and take a chunk out of my health, if I'm impatient and don't attack between the rapid fire blasts/needle bursts/blood vomit/sonic blades/etc.

Shield may "trivialize" a lot of things, but it's also pretty much what is standing between me and constantly getting my poo poo wrecked fighting one, two, or even four "T1, Level 1" monsters as they try to ram me and spray and pray at the same time.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This game really picks up fast, only twenty minutes in and I've already found my first S&M dungeon, looks like this planet was a..... OH gently caress, IT'S THE KLAN!

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

People keep loving with the googledoc, goons being goons and all that. Or filthy pubbies. Maybe it'd be a better idea to make a form that inputs things into a editable spreadsheet instead, to prevent tampering.

gently caress goons.

That said, the update will probably make it all null and void.

Someone posted it on 4chan's /vg/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Demicol posted:

It should be near the center of the screen, make sure you include the - signs. You're looking for just "Alpha Umbraxion 1207" on the map then inside there the planet with a II

There's 2 variations of the Y-coords on the gdoc, and neither of them have an Alpha Umbraxion (except a 304 one) even closeby. Oh well.

• Locked thread