Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Guys, guys! Look at what I did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73p9touo6o

I no longer suck as much as I did 6 months ago!

<3 Rocksmith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mercedes posted:

<3 Rocksmith

Boss beard you rocking there, brosef.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So just to be clear, do you still need an official DLC song on your PC to play customs for 2014?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mercedes posted:

<3 Rocksmith

I was kinda hoping the entire video was just going to be like the first few moments. Mrrrrrowwww plinky plink

Good job anyway, that's some good finger technique there! Thumb right on the back like a pro. You look pretty comfortable with it too, like you're getting into the style of it instead of having to worry about playing the right notes

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Behonkiss posted:

So just to be clear, do you still need an official DLC song on your PC to play customs for 2014?

Yes, just one. They're usually packaged to match cherub rock, since lots of people got it with preorder. If the song is packaged to match a different DLC id, you can open it in the toolkit and change the ID to one that you own.
However, buy all the DLC so that the game is popular and they get huge sales numbers and they keep making DLC and improving the game and unicorns and rainbows :banjo:

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

awesmoe posted:

Yes, just one. They're usually packaged to match cherub rock, since lots of people got it with preorder. If the song is packaged to match a different DLC id, you can open it in the toolkit and change the ID to one that you own.
However, buy all the DLC so that the game is popular and they get huge sales numbers and they keep making DLC and improving the game and unicorns and rainbows :banjo:

I went full :effort: and bought Cherub Rock so that I wouldn't have to edit every custom and change the song.

Jokes on me though since I have to convert most of them to Mac anyway, but hey Cherub Rock is cool so it works out.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

awesmoe posted:

This.

Also, I'm sure people downloading customs are a fraction of a percent of overall Rocksmith users, but I would be really bummed if I saw DLC sales trickle off after the release of 2014-compatible customs. Knowing Ubisoft, that'd lead to some sort of custom-prevention patch which would be a Big Bummer.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Can anybody tell me why the usernames on rock smith (uplay?) are so drat stupid? It's like peering into a made up chat room from the 90's.

Also does anyone who also just started to play the guitar want to be my friend? :blush:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'll be your friend.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

KARMA! posted:

Can anybody tell me why the usernames on rock smith (uplay?) are so drat stupid? It's like peering into a made up chat room from the 90's.

Also does anyone who also just started to play the guitar want to be my friend? :blush:

Yea I'll be your friend! What's your username? Mine is churchofraven

DaRandomGuy
Aug 27, 2013

toymach1ne posted:

It's a good song to learn for that situation when someone has an acoustic guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=496TL-1L5jI

Dose anyone know how to set it to show finger positions like in that video?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
How the hell do you play a B chord. :psyduck:

Also im a newb and will be friends.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PaganGoatPants posted:

I love B! You hold the root with your index, then squish an A shape with your ring finger. Let your index also hold the top note, but the middle of the barre can be messy as you like. You get lots of ring finger strength by playing B.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Apparently you're not supposed to care about the note on the high E, which I never knew when I started out, so I ended up using my pinky to barre the A shape bit since my ring finger has trouble clearing that top string. Yet another way I half-arse guitar

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

I love B! You hold the root with your index, then squish an A shape with your ring finger. Let your index also hold the top note, but the middle of the barre can be messy as you like. You get lots of ring finger strength by playing B.

Oh I was doing index on the top and the rest of my fingers to make an A, so all my fingers once. It wasn't pretty.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Oh I was doing index on the top and the rest of my fingers to make an A, so all my fingers once. It wasn't pretty.

You can do that (and will sometimes need to do that to switch between chords quick), but 99% of the time just mash your index and ring fingers down.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Is there any way to customize the individual pegs in the tuner? I'm hoping to try and make a custom song with C#G#C#F#A#D# tuning, but don't have a physical tuner of my own to test the tabs I found out first.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

baka kaba posted:

Apparently you're not supposed to care about the note on the high E, which I never knew when I started out, so I ended up using my pinky to barre the A shape bit since my ring finger has trouble clearing that top string. Yet another way I half-arse guitar

Yeah, my guitar's neck is a little narrower than average, and I have freakishly long fingers, so it's literally impossible for me to make a B-shape barre chord without completely holding down the first string. So I just lift up a little on my ring finger to deaden the string and play from the E to B or A to B strings.

I can make the shape perfectly fine on a standard-sized acoustic neck, but on the electric I use for Rocksmith I have to make do without that high e string.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaboobi posted:

You can do that (and will sometimes need to do that to switch between chords quick), but 99% of the time just mash your index and ring fingers down.

Looking up videos on youtube I came across this comment.

"You juuust put your finger there.... then you lszjfkdslkfjdakfjaøsdjfkølksøldnvjøsdfø and that's how you play B!"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mercedes posted:

<3 Rocksmith

Is that a tiny guitar or are your hands huge?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Behonkiss posted:

Is there any way to customize the individual pegs in the tuner? I'm hoping to try and make a custom song with C#G#C#F#A#D# tuning, but don't have a physical tuner of my own to test the tabs I found out first.
Buy a tuner. No, really.

Really.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

86% in Song 2 on my 4th day playing. :smug:

Still can't do bends to save my life. :(

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

86% in Song 2 on my 4th day playing. :smug:

Still can't do bends to save my life. :(

You have trouble getting the game to recognize them, or you have trouble getting them to sound right?
Either way, you're on your 4th day, who cares about bends. For now just focus on keeping your strumming under control while transitioning into and out of double-tapping, and make sure your pinch harmonics are consistent. Bends will come naturally later.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

prom candy posted:

Is that a tiny guitar or are your hands huge?

Big rear end hands son. On the plus, I can reach anything on the fret

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

No poo poo! I was cursing my square stubby hands while watching your video. I get by just fine, really, but it would certainly make somethings easier.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know if you guys ever go over to the Ubisoft rocksmith forums, but they have a community run weekly song challenge that is sorta fun. You put yourself in a division, there are four, from really experienced to just starting out, and play a song in score attack. It's not really competitive or anything, just for competing against yourself really, but I've been having a fun time the last few weeks participating. The OP of this weeks thread explains how it all works, http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/814005-Rocksmith-Weekly-guitar-challenge-week-6-Jack-White-Sixteen-Saltines-lead

Here is the thread for the bass players out there http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/813927-Rocksmith-2014-Weekly-Bass-Challenge-Week-6-Paranoid-Android-Radiohead

The only fault is you really have to sorta "game" the game if you are going for higher scores. I personally don't care about getting the highest score, it's just been fun playing songs I wouldn't normally spend time on, and trying to get higher scores then the other people throughout the week.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'm trying to learn bends, but the game is not picking up when I do them. I'm doing exactly what it tells me and 9 out of 10 times, it's telling me that I did it wrong. I dunno what the deal is, considering everything else has gone so smoothly. Is the detection for bends off or are bends just hard to get right or what?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Nocheez posted:

I'll be your friend.

Mercedes posted:

Yea I'll be your friend! What's your username? Mine is churchofraven

PaganGoatPants posted:

mantaworks

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KARMA! posted:

mantaworks

I was gonna add you but when I searched for that name, no user showed up :( I'm sether01 if you wanna be friends, friend. :)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cannot Find Server posted:

I'm trying to learn bends, but the game is not picking up when I do them. I'm doing exactly what it tells me and 9 out of 10 times, it's telling me that I did it wrong. I dunno what the deal is, considering everything else has gone so smoothly. Is the detection for bends off or are bends just hard to get right or what?

Does it sound right to you? For example, if you have to do a full step bend, does the end note sound the same as if you were fretting that note?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sether01 posted:

I don't know if you guys ever go over to the Ubisoft rocksmith forums, but they have a community run weekly song challenge that is sorta fun. You put yourself in a division, there are four, from really experienced to just starting out, and play a song in score attack.
I haven't found any Score Attack that I can get through without it kicking me out. Welp.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tunga posted:

I haven't found any Score Attack that I can get through without it kicking me out. Welp.

I'm sure on easy you can struggle through at least one song if you work on it a bit. That's why I like the entire thing, it challenges me, on a personal level, to keep working on a song instead of being a guitar ADD butterfly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, my guitar's neck is a little narrower than average, and I have freakishly long fingers, so it's literally impossible for me to make a B-shape barre chord without completely holding down the first string. So I just lift up a little on my ring finger to deaden the string and play from the E to B or A to B strings.

I can make the shape perfectly fine on a standard-sized acoustic neck, but on the electric I use for Rocksmith I have to make do without that high e string.

Use your pinky instead. Join ussss :unsmigghh:

Behonkiss posted:

Honestly this would be an excellent time to learn to tune by ear, with something like this:
http://www.fender.com/en-GB/community/guitar-tuner/
Have the note play and play your guitar at the same time, and try and get them to match. As you get close it'll sound weird and dissonant and then sweet sweet consonance will appear. Try a few chords when you're done and check that none of the strings sound out of place - if they do, tweak the tuning. It's tricky at first but you'll appreciate it when you can retune in the middle of a song

Alternatively you're trying to do Eb with Drop D tuning, which is half a step down on most of the strings, right? So fretting each string at the first fret will raise them back up a half step. Eb(D#) becomes E, Bb(A#) becomes B, Gb(F#) becomes G... you can see where I'm going here?

When your guitar's in tune at the notes you want (a half step lower than usual), the notes on the first fret will give Rocksmith's tuner the notes it's expecting for E standard. And since your low E is tuned down to Db (three semitones lower) you need to play that one three semitones higher to get the usual E note, so that's the 3rd fret. When Rocksmith asks you to tune a string, just fret it at those frets and tune away and you'll golden.

Tuning down affects intonation and the gauge of your strings matters too, especially on that low E, so don't squeeze too hard and you might need to tweak it slightly. Easiest way to check drop D tuning is to fret a power chord (333xxx for example) and make sure it sounds thick and heavy. If the bottom string's out of tuning slightly it'll sound a bit poo poo

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Cannot Find Server posted:

I think under-bending counts a miss more than over-bending does, even though they both sound bad. I'm still bad at them, but much better than I used to be since the game made me do them all the time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Behonkiss posted:

You could use the freeform tuner in the lower left corner of the Menu window. Or you could download the free Amplitube and use the tuner there with the cable.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone says Blitzkrieg is easy, but I can't change chords fast enough. :negative:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Everyone says Blitzkrieg is easy, but I can't change chords fast enough. :negative:

It'd probably help to practice outside the song and focus solely on the first chord of each measure, at your own speed. Once you have the chord progression down, all that's left is speeding up and strumming fast.

The hardest part for me on that song is trying to do a hard punk all down-strumming technique, which wears my wrist out fast.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KARMA! posted:

mantaworks

Sent you my first friend request. If anyone wants to add me, I'm "nocheez" in Uplay.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

Practice this way: Fret the A5 chord. Then the D5 chord on the next string up. Just fret back and forth slowly until you're able to speed up. Don't worry about strumming more than once, you're just working on the chord change and not the rhythm or strumming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think it's been said already, but the Back in Black custom is really, really good. Can't wait to see more like this.