Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Trying out Space Station mod with a new character. First priority is to build platforms so I can actually go up and down the thing, and to add better lighting. Don't want to get too crazy cus of impending wipe, just to feel out how long the setup takes. After wipe I'm going to use it to become an insane collector Glitch who pilots a mobile museum.

One glitch however is the teleporter sometimes not taking you down to the planet, but back to the station. For anyone who tries the mod out, if this happens you can fix it two ways. A) Kill yourself and B) hold E and W while teleporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So, is level 40 the highest the game goes right now? I thought they said it went up to level 100, and I'm finding plutonium, solarium, and uranium that I don't know what to do with if I dig really deep, but I can't find any way to get past level 40.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

pwnyXpress posted:

So, is level 40 the highest the game goes right now? I thought they said it went up to level 100, and I'm finding plutonium, solarium, and uranium that I don't know what to do with if I dig really deep, but I can't find any way to get past level 40.

Everything past tier 3 is smushed into one tier right now. It will be pulled apart into 7 proper tiers later.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

DrPaper posted:

One glitch however is the teleporter sometimes not taking you down to the planet, but back to the station. For anyone who tries the mod out, if this happens you can fix it two ways. A) Kill yourself and B) hold E and W while teleporting.

I think this may be a bug introduced with the newest patch. I recall it happening to me last night a few times and I was running without any mods.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
I just laid down some tasty licks with my electric guitar in the form of AC/DC Highway to Hell for a medieval looking bird people in front of their town fountain. Then I proceeded to steal the fountain and put it in my ship. Game owns bones.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
It happened to me too, but I just tried to teleport a few more times and it worked. No killing myself or holding extra keys.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I'm having a ton of fun modifying and extending ships, but goddamn it's a hassle getting the block maps just right. Lots of trial and error, but it paid off:

At least this game is pretty easy to mod. Looking forward to seeing what people end up making.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fishstick posted:

There's 2 variations of the Y-coords on the gdoc, and neither of them have an Alpha Umbraxion (except a 304 one) even closeby. Oh well.

Make sure you have the correct sector selected.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Make sure you have the correct sector selected.

Turns out I am an idiot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Where can I find a brain for my robot?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Where can I find a brain for my robot?

By zapping monsters with the brain extractor, an item you craft.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

By zapping monsters with the brain extractor, an item you craft.

What happens when you zap robots with it?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kikas posted:

What happens when you zap robots with it?

My robot sometimes has a glass plate covering his head showing the brain underneath.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
I have some concerns with the progression rebalance. Some of these are things people have already stated:

- Lack of differentiation between planets. It's nice to have some easy planets and some hard planets, or as someone said, the feeling that you're risking something by going to a very hard world for a greater reward. The difficulty level of a planet is very much a part of its character. I guess you can have easy, medium, and hard planets, but see below.
- Less of a sense of progression within a tier. You've got easy, medium, and hard, but more levels allows for more variety and seems less artificial. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to add granularity to a system once you already have multiple levels.
- I hope there's still an armor stat, because while basing a system on straight DPS makes weapon choice simpler, it also removes a lot of the strategy around weapon choice (pick the highest number, it's the best always).

The notion of making sure players at the end of each tier are exactly powerful enough to tackle the next tier is slightly disturbing too. Game balance is obviously the concern, but I guess I want the feeling that I'm exploring a universe, and that what's in the next tier may be completely unexpected. Not exactly one increment above my current character's progress. I'd be fine (and excited) by a tier that consists entirely of enemies that one-shot you, with a theme of techs that focus on avoidance, for example.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Hmmmm....

i accidently activated my mech tech on my ship and it made the sound of 100,000 jumps going off at once and scared me half to death

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

It's more that if you're kitted out with the very top-end gear from tier 2, you will be able to handle most of tier 3, in which you will find gear that will help you in tier 4. T2 gear will probably not cut it towards the end of T3, and not everyone will have top-of-T2 equipment by the time they reach 3.
It'd be cool if certain gear let you 'dodge' to avoid damage, but it'd be hard to not make it overpowered. What's the use of upgrading your armour if you can just wear that set and avoid all damage? At the moment shields do that and the 'balance' is in not getting flanked and timing your swing in between the enemy's shots, though I think it'll be nerfed by making it either a damage reduction instead of negation, or a durability that lets you only absorb so much damage.

One way I'd like to see armour implemented is having certain pieces having specific resistances against different weapons, going by tier.
Tier 1 would be mainly swords and bows, so leather and metal armour/shields would work great. Later tiers would introduce guns, requiring heavier armour (maybe synthetic/bullet-resistant materials?) and later still, laser weapons would pretty much ignore steel armour (or even super-heat it, doing more damage!) but can be reduced by energy shields and rare elements.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cybermg posted:

I have some concerns with the progression rebalance. Some of these are things people have already stated:

- Lack of differentiation between planets. It's nice to have some easy planets and some hard planets, or as someone said, the feeling that you're risking something by going to a very hard world for a greater reward. The difficulty level of a planet is very much a part of its character. I guess you can have easy, medium, and hard planets, but see below.
- Less of a sense of progression within a tier. You've got easy, medium, and hard, but more levels allows for more variety and seems less artificial. It doesn't seem like it'd be hard to add granularity to a system once you already have multiple levels.
- I hope there's still an armor stat, because while basing a system on straight DPS makes weapon choice simpler, it also removes a lot of the strategy around weapon choice (pick the highest number, it's the best always).

1. The difference between a level 1 forest planet and a level 2 forest planet are pretty much not noticeable anyway.
2. This is also the same answer is 1.
3. I'm pretty sure they're not removing the armor stat, because that would require coming up with another idea for giving you a reason to make armor. And as for your worries about simplifying weapon systems, with the current system it was STILL a case of pick the one with the highest number. It's just that in this case, you pick the one with the highest penetration because it can actually do more than scratch higher level monsters.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Slime posted:

1. The difference between a level 1 forest planet and a level 2 forest planet are pretty much not noticeable anyway.
2. This is also the same answer is 1.
3. I'm pretty sure they're not removing the armor stat, because that would require coming up with another idea for giving you a reason to make armor. And as for your worries about simplifying weapon systems, with the current system it was STILL a case of pick the one with the highest number. It's just that in this case, you pick the one with the highest penetration because it can actually do more than scratch higher level monsters.

The thing with armour and weapon penetration is that it acts as a multiplier. If I'm attacking a level 15 creature with a 20 penetration weapon I'm going to kill it in one hit. I'm not sure how the multiplier works exactly but it basically means that progression gets wonky.

The snow gear has excellent armour and cold protection considering you can get it right at the start. Make yourself an iron hunting bow and walk around one shotting everything on a level 1 planet and you'll have the leather you need very quickly, and from there you can jump straight up to a 12 hazard planet.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cybermg posted:

The notion of making sure players at the end of each tier are exactly powerful enough to tackle the next tier is slightly disturbing too. Game balance is obviously the concern, but I guess I want the feeling that I'm exploring a universe, and that what's in the next tier may be completely unexpected. Not exactly one increment above my current character's progress. I'd be fine (and excited) by a tier that consists entirely of enemies that one-shot you, with a theme of techs that focus on avoidance, for example.

I don't think anyone can say that the proposed changes are going to be an ideal solution, but the current progression system is pretty difficult to understand and this makes it feel really imbalanced. Playing through it myself, I'd be really struggling with monsters that took 5-6 hits to kill, then I'd pick up a weapon with 5 more attack points and suddenly I'm 1 shotting them. I was taking 50% damage from the UFO boss, upgrade my armour to be 2 points higher and suddenly I'm taking 8 damage.

It does have a real cliff edge problem right now and hopefully these changes will help to smooth that out. If it does have the additional effect of the problems you mention, hopefully these things can be added back into the system via other mechanics or extending the new system. Hopefully with a simpler and player-friendly underlying mechanic, it should be better all round.

I'm pretty pleased to see that Tiy has the balls to make a big change like this when something doesn't look like it's going to work. The worst thing to do would be to just stick with it until you're so embedded that you can't back out and it's clear to everyone that it's bad design. Sometimes a big overhaul is the right call and once that's done, you can reassess and work out how to bring the best parts of the old system into the new one.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
The way the system works now, penetration is the level of your weapon, if you have a penetration 15 sword its level 15, if it has a damage value of 20 and you hit a level 15 enemy you will do 20 damage plus a set base damage. The same goes for defense, if you have 15 defense and you get hit by a level 15 monster you will get hit for the monsters damage plus base damage. Basically you can have 999999 armor and you will still take a set base damage that continues to rise the higher level you get, at the rate it is right now by level 100 (possibly before) you would be getting one shot by everything even if you had infinite armor.

e: Not only that but at the moment the best armor you can make for each tier (save tier 1) is 5 levels below the cap of that tier, (tier 3s best armor is level 25) which means you will get one shot on a level 30 planet.

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 7, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm a little worried the proposed system would reduce the amount of difficulty variety available to the player, but the changes themselves seem preferable. The current weapon damage/armor system is pretty hard to understand and it tends to lead to weapons being very over or underpowered more often than it leads to them being balanced/useful. That's not a great state for the game to be in.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

At least the whole point of the beta is to see what works and what doesn't, and make changes appropriately. If you're not happy with something, let them know and if enough people share the opinion, it might influence how things turn out.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If the host of a multiplayer server has a mod, do all those connecting to them need it too?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Right now weapons are literally "higher AP = better" so I don't know how adding a raw DPS stat is simplifying that or whatever.

Considering how long we've had the beta, its pretty crazy how people feel so attached to the arcane current system. Just because they're making it simpler doesn't mean its not gonna be worse, y'all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How do you even get a foothold in sector X? There doesn't seem to be a durasteel armor so I can't even hit the wimpiest worlds without getting oneshotted by everything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

If the host of a multiplayer server has a mod, do all those connecting to them need it too?

No, actually, which is pretty odd. That said if you're using ship mods like the station and someone beams onto your ship who doesn't have it installed the way you do, bad things happen.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My favorite thing about this game is the race-specific object identification dialogue when you hit N and click on a thing. If an Apex finds Avian ruins they just guess about what everything meant but if you bring your Avian friend along to identify the same stuff they tell you the cultural significance of the rabbit sarcophagus as a tomb for heretics who will not fly in the afterlife, and that same pair can find an Apex lab where the former explains about the dystopian world they grew up in.

My second-favorite thing about this game is the random planets, it's the most elegant solution to 'we mined out/built up spawn' to keep the game in that fresh-world flavor while also having home planets to build up.

The weapon stats are slightly not very informative but I have faith future beta improvements will make it better. This is already a really good game.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

dis astranagant posted:

How do you even get a foothold in sector X? There doesn't seem to be a durasteel armor so I can't even hit the wimpiest worlds without getting oneshotted by everything.

Skip durasteel completely, just make the 40 for the next tier upgrade. Dig down once you land and avoid the surface monsters while getting salts and whatnot

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How does the game determine fuel costs for interplanetary/interstellar travel?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Reiley posted:

My favorite thing about this game is the race-specific object identification dialogue when you hit N and click on a thing. If an Apex finds Avian ruins they just guess about what everything meant but if you bring your Avian friend along to identify the same stuff they tell you the cultural significance of the rabbit sarcophagus as a tomb for heretics who will not fly in the afterlife, and that same pair can find an Apex lab where the former explains about the dystopian world they grew up in.

This is one of my favourite things too. I build a house for my Floran character using glass ceilings for sunlight and artificial light inside rather than burning torches and fires because every time you examine some fire they say how scary and dangerous it is. Then I decorated it with skulls on poles and stolen technology, because that's what they do!

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So my computer has a Nvidia GTX 550 TI and my FPS on Starbound are shocking. I've got 8 gbs of ram and a quadcore CPU so I have no idea why I'm having this problem. Anyone else had FPS issues with an Nvidia card and know how to fix it?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sailor Dave posted:

For those of you wishing you could just upgrade your matter manipulator instead of using "caveman tier" pickaxes, now you can!

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/matter-manipulator-plus-new-manipulators-for-each-pickaxe-tier.39764/

This seems to be a better mod, because it increases the size of the diamond manipulator's mining to 5x5.

Jacada posted:

So my computer has a Nvidia GTX 550 TI and my FPS on Starbound are shocking. I've got 8 gbs of ram and a quadcore CPU so I have no idea why I'm having this problem. Anyone else had FPS issues with an Nvidia card and know how to fix it?

I'm on a quad core CPU, 8GB and a GT 670. Yeah, my graphics card is better, but I'm also running the game at 2650x1440 resolution. It runs fine at 3x zoom, except for the rare hiccup when crazy poo poo is going down like a huge sand collapse. 2x zoom underground is pretty bad, though, I probably get 15 FPS there.

Revol fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 7, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/current-work-arounds-try-these-if-youre-having-issues.35207/

If you're getting weirdly low framerates and running an nvidia card, try turning off multicore/threaded optimization in your NVidia control panel. Doing this pretty much doubled my framerate, although that's not very hard(I have an ancient computer).

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
:siren: Low FPS FIX :siren:

Someone posted this earlier in the thread and it worked for me, no idea how. Just BE SURE you restart steam after you delete the key. I forgot to restart Steam and thought it didn't work at first.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I hope they let you make, find, upgrade to, etc bigger ships. I want a multi leveled dreadnaught.

iamded
Apr 26, 2013

Smile!
I tried out each race up to getting an anvil, just to peek at their starting gear. I also got a feel for each race by delving into dungeons and examining everything.
I carried on with my Avian, Cheep Trick, up to tier 2

Reiley posted:

Interestingly I examined an Avian tomb with an Avian and a Hylotl, and the Hylotl's guesses were all pretty much spot on. I'm quite diggin' the Hylotl dudes.

A shrubbery! posted:

This is one of my favourite things too. I build a house for my Floran character using glass ceilings for sunlight and artificial light inside rather than burning torches and fires because every time you examine some fire they say how scary and dangerous it is.
That makes sense, fire and plants tend to not mix well. I think after the character wipe I'll stick to a Floran, those dudes are fun to play as.

Oh this was also neat, Alpha Epingi 530 IIIa at X-50280509 Y-49794801 has a sweet Avian village with tonnes of merchants and at least 3 chests with schematics and stuff in 'em, as well as loads of Avian building inspiration and blocks.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I hope they let you make, find, upgrade to, etc bigger ships. I want a multi leveled dreadnaught.

I'm gonna make a Kill Krooza for me and my fellow Florian greenskins. And obviously it's gonna be red.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 7, 2013

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Just to clear it up, does anyone have first-hand experience of how tree-regrowth works, if it does work? I don't have time to test for myself right now, but do trees just grow back on their own from nothing eventually? Or do you need to leave a stump for the rest of the tree to grow back?
I'm going to start a giant tree-settlement after the character wipe and it's going to take a lot of wood!

Also, with characters being wiped, I guess it isn't possible to keep a world-save backed up to take a post-patch character back to? I don't know how the character/world saving system works, but I assume it'll be after the patch, it'll be basically a fresh install save-wise.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I found an Avian village myself.

Some of the inhabitants were rather rude.

I have no idea what this person is talking about, there were no Florans in town.

And I think something is off with the code for placing plants...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, that thing with plants is a bug.
I showed that to Molly yesterday accidentallyon purpose and she didn't understand why I had tomatoes on my bridge. I guess that means it will be fixed eventually.

• Locked thread