Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So what ever happened to the Novakids? They going to be a later addition, or did that stretch goal just not get met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Rookersh posted:

So what ever happened to the Novakids? They going to be a later addition, or did that stretch goal just not get met.

After beta.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Genocyber posted:

I heavily disagree. The Dash is great as is, as it makes traveling across a world not take forever.

Maybe you should wait for the second stage of beta then? Just sayin'.

If it's just a character wipe, you can find an Alpha planet, put all your poo poo from one planet there, then come with the new character and it should be there. But from the update, it sounds like it'll be a complete wipe so I doubt that would work in this case.

I feel like one of the few problems with terraria was the massive difference in power and mobility that came with just a few items. I think a smoother transition is better for the long term.

It's super easy to burn out with exploring when you are literally flying across the map at insane speeds. Especially if that happens in your first hour of playing. It's the difference between finding treasure and harvesting it en masse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so what's the downside to beaming back up to your ship when you're in trouble (on the surface, of course)? I see people camping out overnight, and I don't know why they'd bother. Granted, I havent' played the game all that much.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so what's the downside to beaming back up to your ship when you're in trouble (on the surface, of course)? I see people camping out overnight, and I don't know why they'd bother. Granted, I havent' played the game all that much.

You currently lose your place and beam back to the starting spot, making you walk all that way (assuming you were far away to begin with).

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Well, the only downside that I can imagine is that when you beam back down again you'll have to walk all the way back to where you were to continue exploring. Outside of that its usually not a bad idea.

Edit: Jinx!

Seriously though, getting killed on a larger planet can be a real pain for this reason. Maybe higher tiers will allow us to set a new teleport waypoint, wouldn't that be nice?

Tombot fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 7, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Some planets are pretty big and take a while to traverse.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

I guess some people have preference to just making a little place to stay until dawn breaks, I actually used to do this before finding the dash tech which made it easy to get back to where I was if I had to leave.

On techs, am I retarded or is there not a hotkey to quickly switch between them? I have dash and double jump but the latter never sees use because going through menus is a pain and I'm horribly lazy.

holy poo poo beaten by 3 people I am never posting from my phone again

Alyssa Milano
Dec 20, 2004

I've dated the sweet mama's boy, the musician rocker, the struggling artist - basically a lot of people without jobs.
Level 15 Ape Complex

Beta Graros Minoris IV a
Jungle LVL 14

X -11682795 Y -83276265

One ape complex directly to the left of the spawn, very close
Another complex farther to the right, past a small NPC house with a bed, in a Giant Flower tree forest. Inside is Gravity Neutraliser Blueprint in a high tech chest at the end of a/the maze.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

I feel like one of the few problems with terraria was the massive difference in power and mobility that came with just a few items. I think a smoother transition is better for the long term.

It's super easy to burn out with exploring when you are literally flying across the map at insane speeds. Especially if that happens in your first hour of playing. It's the difference between finding treasure and harvesting it en masse.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Taking forever to travel across a world for a chance at some treasure gets really boring really fast, for me. Being able to quickly move across a world and find big things like towns and dungeons is much nicer.

Random aside, I hope holdable torches are added at some point. A flashlight doesn't work too well for lighting up ana rea, and having to place a campfire or torch every few steps in a dark dungeon is annoying.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Florans have the best things to say about Apex propaganda. The "Obey" one has something like "Floran not obey dinner" and the "Big Ape" one has your character thinking that Big Ape is probably a big, tasty ape.

Also, Banana propaganda is wonderful.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't really like the dash tech, I keep vaulting off the edge of some sudden huge cliff and cratering to death. I like the double-jump a lot more, but I also wish there was a hotkey to toggle your active Tech like there is to switch your L and R hand weapons. Also: if you use a two-hand weapon in your L hand slot you can keep a pistol or a one-hand weapon in the R slot and when you take out your tree-chopping axe or your flashlight you'll offhand the other weapon. I have a little handgun I can hold tactical with my flashlight and plink things in the dark with right-click, it's a neat little feature.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So, er, does anyone know how to use the Pulse Jump?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reiley posted:

I don't really like the dash tech, I keep vaulting off the edge of some sudden huge cliff and cratering to death.

Dashing makes your velocity reset, so dash just before hitting the ground and you'll take no damage.

Rather Dashing posted:

Make sure you've equipped the tech and have it selected as your current tech, then just tap the jump button while in the air.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Rather Dashing posted:

Equip it in the tech menu on your ship and then double jump away to your hearts content.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Something else, the galaxy is full of planets populated by farting aliens. It seems every planet I visit has at least one flatulent species.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

McDragon posted:

Something else, the galaxy is full of planets populated by farting aliens. It seems every planet I visit has at least one flatulent species.

I find every planet I'm on has at least one species that uses the horse neighs. They're almost always unholy abominations too, plus that sound :stare:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Fall damage is weird, it seems to be tied to sudden changes in momentum rather than any kind of impact. If you fall far enough and double jump or activate the gravity bubble, you still take fall damage.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

This game is awesome. I finally got my lovely frame rate issues figured out thanks to that link detailing how to fix steam's compatibility mode, but I still get error-ed out constantly when connected to my boyfriend's server (we're on the same network, in the same room...). Hosting the server myself fixed that issue. Yay. :)

Decided to decorate my ship this morning. Since we use his as our main base, most of my crap is over there but I had a few things in my inventory with which to make a paranoid space explorer. Poor fish guy.

Also my flashlight is green and I'm wearing a scientist's coat. GOTY.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

It would be pretty nice if you could use multiple non-conflicting techs simultaneously. Like pulse jump and energy dash, they don't use the same button to activate so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to easily use both. If it's limited in order to make techs easier to balance, why have four tech slots except to taunt us?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

So, my friend and I are making good progress on that mod. All these blocks are craftable now. Recipes aren't balanced yet. Placing all the blocks into the world is helping us envision what component materials would best create the relevant blocks and platforms.

It really is kind of weird realizing how boring all my homes have been so far, made almost without exception from just wood and stone. There are all these awesome materials in the game but you have to go tear up a dungeon or village to get most of them. Being able to craft them yourself makes it much easier to build a visually diverse base.
Next up is decorative objects. We'll probably only do the simpler ones like furniture, so that there's still objects worth looting from the places you visit, to take as trophies or just decorations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wait, according to the Reddit, this'll eventually have a main storyline, and your ship will upgrade over the course of it?

I'm already seeing a few screenshots of ships with an upper level, how far do you have to go to get that? My buddy and I are planning on using my ship as our home base, and he wants to decorate the second floor as his, with the bottom floor being mine, Firefly style.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Genocyber posted:

Dashing makes your velocity reset, so dash just before hitting the ground and you'll take no damage.

Make sure you've equipped the tech and have it selected as your current tech, then just tap the jump button while in the air.

I didn't realise you could only have one tech running at a time. I had the thing loaded but had dash selected :cripes:. Thanks.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Nastyman posted:

Fall damage is weird, it seems to be tied to sudden changes in momentum rather than any kind of impact. If you fall far enough and double jump or activate the gravity bubble, you still take fall damage.

I have avoided cratering by Energy Dashing before I hit the ground, I do this quite a lot in fact, it just does take a bit of timing and sometimes I splat if i misjudge the ground.

e: beaten so hard

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nastyman posted:

If you activate the gravity bubble early enough that you start going up again you can seem to not take fall damage. But just lowering your speed to where it looks like you shouldn't, nope.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Is there any way to repair a mining pick? Also, what armor should I shoot for after the winter armor can no longer keep me from dying in 2-3 hits?

The game is miles away from properly balanced but otherwise I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Weirdly, using the dash boots will reset your fall damage, meaning if you dash right before you hit the ground you'll be safe.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Are there no quests after defeating the first boss?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There are ladders in the game? Where do I find them.

Rookersh posted:

Wait, according to the Reddit, this'll eventually have a main storyline, and your ship will upgrade over the course of it?

I'm already seeing a few screenshots of ships with an upper level, how far do you have to go to get that? My buddy and I are planning on using my ship as our home base, and he wants to decorate the second floor as his, with the bottom floor being mine, Firefly style.

No ship upgrading at the moment. That was done through a mod. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/extended-ship-mod.39427/

Office Thug posted:

Is there any way to repair a mining pick? Also, what armor should I shoot for after the winter armor can no longer keep me from dying in 2-3 hits?

The game is miles away from properly balanced but otherwise I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

IIRC you select an ore then right click on the tool.

Armor goes Copper -> Silver -> Gold -> some unique racial armor. There's also a secondary path that starts with Platinum you can do as well.

Lugaloco posted:

Are there no quests after defeating the first boss?

Use the molten core to make a forge, it will let you make the next item to summon a boss. Rinse and repeat. No actual quests for them yet, though.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Office Thug posted:

Is there any way to repair a mining pick?

Previous post + it's not always clear what type of ore to use, so try different kinds. Silver ore fixes diamond pickaxe for example.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Repairing picks is weird because sometimes the ore that matches the pick doesn't work but copper does. I can only repair my diamond pick with copper ore, for example.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

McDragon posted:

Florans have the best things to say about Apex propaganda. The "Obey" one has something like "Floran not obey dinner" and the "Big Ape" one has your character thinking that Big Ape is probably a big, tasty ape.

Also, Banana propaganda is wonderful.

"Silly ape flu, Floran will eat you." :3:

Florans are the best I swear to god.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So what kind of kit should I have to realistically take on the boss? I summoned him for the first time with Scavenger armour and the axe that you can craft. I wasn't expecting to win this time around but the hits I did land didn't even make a dent in its health and two hits from it killed me. I can't see any more weapons to craft on the anvil, despite having a fair bit of silver and some gold.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rather Dashing posted:

So what kind of kit should I have to realistically take on the boss? I summoned him for the first time with Scavenger armour and the axe that you can craft. I wasn't expecting to win this time around but the hits I did land didn't even make a dent in its health and two hits from it killed me. I can't see any more weapons to craft on the anvil, despite having a fair bit of silver and some gold.

Go to the threat level 10 planet in the gdoc that has avian pirates and buy a bitchin' sniper rifle. That + the tier 1 racial armor (or the snow infantry armor) should be enough, and especially if you have the Dash tech.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Man, the Apex flavor text for Apex-things is really sad. :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Also set terrain blocks to make an advantageous arena for you to fight in. It's less helpful against the UFO since it breaks terrain now, but it's quite useful for the later bosses.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Maybe you should wait for the second stage of beta then? Just sayin'.

If it's just a character wipe, you can find an Alpha planet, put all your poo poo from one planet there, then come with the new character and it should be there. But from the update, it sounds like it'll be a complete wipe so I doubt that would work in this case.

I don't mind losing all my items and poo poo, but I was slowly working to turn my starting planet completely into a death star covered in metal, but if I lose my progress on that I just don't want to continue.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

I beat him pretty easily with the snow armor and a pistol with 4 penetration I found on a robot. He only did like 6 damage to me at a time so I could pop a bandage and be okay if I stayed away from his minions.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Go to the threat level 10 planet in the gdoc that has avian pirates and buy a bitchin' sniper rifle. That + the tier 1 racial armor (or the snow infantry armor) should be enough, and especially if you have the Dash tech.

also summon the boss on top of that ship so the pirates help you

once the big ufo aggroed a couple of pirates it was over pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
How the heck do you play instruments without the stock canon in d? I must be missing something extremely simple.

• Locked thread