Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I greatly enjoyed Barry and Felicity's flirtation - it's a longstanding tradition that superhero team ups involve the visiting guy being a hilarious dick and romancing the hometown hero's love interest.

Here's a particularly fun one from the Superman/Batman cartoon crossover. Skip to 2:15 if you want to see Bruce taunting Clark in the most assholish manner possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe0gt60rNHI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

This was loving awesome. The arm wrestling question was hilarious. "Colton would be scrappy. Diggle would kick the poo poo out of all of us."

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Crunk Abortion posted:

I call bluff. They've been way too ham-handed with THIS JUST IN, PARTICLE ACCELERATOR TOTALLY HAPPENING GUYS on every newspaper and TV all season. I'm thinking it's just misdirection.

I've been thinking the same thing, at least I want it to turn out to be misdirection, because this show has earned the right for me to expect it to pull a move like that (and get away with it).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krad posted:

Yeah, we got it all wrong guys. Remember how Arrow is supposed to be a more down to Earth superhero show? Barry will only be called "The Flash" because of his ability to solve crimes really quick. They'll catch the criminal in the first 10 minutes of each episode. :shobon:

A guy called the Flash, pretty sure his costume is going to be a trench coat.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Aphrodite posted:

It's Ollie who's a bit too old, comparatively.

Goddamned ageist.

I think the last episode was the best of the series so far. I haven't been this excited since Iron Man/Captain America/Thor met for the first time on screen. I really hope DC plans on keeping TV and films in the same continuity.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sleepingbuddha posted:

Goddamned ageist.

I think the last episode was the best of the series so far. I haven't been this excited since Iron Man/Captain America/Thor met for the first time on screen. I really hope DC plans on keeping TV and films in the same continuity.

I hope the films stay their own thing. I really don't want them intersecting with the TV shows. And since they're looking to cast a Flash in the new Man of Steel movie I suppose they probably will be keeping them as their own things.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wouldn't mind either way, as long as they retain Arrow's fearlessness about actually using characters and tinkering with their backstories. So far the thing that annoys me about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is that it seems so terrified of stepping on anyone else's shoes that nothing really seems to happen.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/posts/544618005623471

Amell posted a really cool fan-made video. I really liked it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Phylodox posted:

Oh, hey, a Blue Beetle shout out this episode. That's not the first one for the show, either, is it?

Spoilered for comics-related name-dropping.

So glad I am not the only one to notice that

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Senerio posted:

Wow.

I normally find those sort of things super corny, but, that was actually really great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Senerio posted:

Clicked expecting the usual fan terribleness and was instead very much impressed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Senerio posted:

Video reminds me of how stylish the visuals in Arrow can be. Good poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My favorite thing about this episode is how unrestrained they got with the brutality of Cyrus' superstrength against a normal, albeit highly badass, human. The truck scene was of course great, then it got really awesome in the warehouse. Ollie's skills let him survive for more than three seconds, but when Not-Quite-Grundy landed that floor-to-ceiling uppercut followed by a haymaker that sent him clear across a packed warehouse, I was :stonk: for real. Compare these sequences to how Agents of SHIELD pulled their punches with the "strength of 20 men" Asgardian artifact (aside from the very first time the girl was powered up by it).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Guys. Guys. The particle accelerator is misdirection. Barry will get his powers the old fashioned way, chemicals+lightning, and then we'll all be like, oh I guess that particle accelerator was misdirection. Then they turn it on and boom! Captain Atom

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Deadpool posted:

I hope the films stay their own thing. I really don't want them intersecting with the TV shows. And since they're looking to cast a Flash in the new Man of Steel movie I suppose they probably will be keeping them as their own things.

Seconded. The last thing we need is a quality show cocked up by Goyer and Snyder. All of it's strengths lie in direct opposition to how the DC film canon has been handled lately.

boom boom boom posted:

Guys. Guys. The particle accelerator is misdirection. Barry will get his powers the old fashioned way, chemicals+lightning, and then we'll all be like, oh I guess that particle accelerator was misdirection. Then they turn it on and boom! Captain Atom

I would poo poo.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really want the films and TV shows to stay separate; Arrow does not deserve to be tainted by Man of Steel. Unfortunately, DC hasn't been making the best decisions lately and it's likely they're just going to continue trying to stupidly copy Marvel's everything.

My hope is that Arrow has already thrown so much DC poo poo at the wall that they are already hopelessly out-of-continuity with any potential movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spergatory posted:

I really want the films and TV shows to stay separate; Arrow does not deserve to be tainted by Man of Steel. Unfortunately, DC hasn't been making the best decisions lately and it's likely they're just going to continue trying to stupidly copy Marvel's everything.

My hope is that Arrow has already thrown so much DC poo poo at the wall that they are already hopelessly out-of-continuity with any potential movies.

You drat well know that if a season finale cliffhanger somehow links Arrow to the DC cinematic universe, everyone would go loving nuts. I'd be excited as hell, :gizz:ing all over the place in a perpetual state of nerdgasm-fueled euphoria. You're all liars if you say you wouldn't be excited.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 7, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009

teagone posted:

You drat well know that if a season finale cliffhanger somehow links Arrow to the DC cinematic universe, everyone would go loving nuts. I'd be excited as hell, :gizz:ing all over the place in a perpetual state of nerdgasm-fueled euphoria. You're all liars if you say you wouldn't be excited.
I will literally kill someone to have Manu Bennet in JL as Deathstroke, Lucy Lawless as Hippolyta, and Peter Mensah as J'onn J'onzz.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Habibi posted:

Well the LHC doubled the rate of earthquakes so why shouldn't the particle accelerator quadruple the rate of lightning strikes? Makes perfect sense. :smug:

I think it was just a coincidence that all the Earthquake machine testing started after the LHC was built.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

teagone posted:

I have never read a DC or Marvel comic in my life and I can honestly say that I would not be excited about such a development.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just personally would rather they stay separate. But it's not the end of the world if they don't. It's not like it would really change that much in the show.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

jscolon2.0 posted:

I think it was just a coincidence that all the Earthquake machine testing started after the LHC was built.

Don't you understand science??

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ollie wouldn't really work in the JLA movie because there would be that whole issue of killing people and he's kind of super antagonistic towards Batman and Superman. Not Superman to much , but Ollie makes Superman look conservative.

If they're using Grell's version of Ollie. He's almost practically a anarchist in some views.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

teagone posted:

You're all liars if you say you wouldn't be excited.

Man of Steel was dogshit and I hope it and everyone involved stay far far away from Arrow.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Habibi posted:

Don't you understand science??

I don't know anything about science, but I know plenty about Science! :science: (That said, that's a catch I didn't connect when they mentioned the LHC and earthquakes. So soon I forget about the Markov device.)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I don't know anything about science, but I know plenty about Science! :science: (That said, that's a catch I didn't connect when they mentioned the LHC and earthquakes. So soon I forget about the Markov device.)

Eh, I didn't think it had anything to do with it because it sounded like she was talking worldwide (that and it hadn't been around for some time by that point, anyway).

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

teagone posted:

Video reminds me of how stylish the visuals in Arrow can be. Good poo poo.

I think I really dig the song they used for this.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Also, when they stumbled onto the submarine that had mysteriously worked its way into the middle of the island, did anyone else think that those Japanese super soldiers just loving up and carried that thing there?

For some reason it only now occurred to me, but as much as it just seemed a throw-away method of both demonstrating Barry's mancrush on the Arrow and shoving another double entendre into Felicity's mouth, I wonder if Ollie switches to the aluminum/carbon whatever it was alloy that Barry suggested for the extra penetration given Felicity's very explicit exposition on the density of supermuscles and Ollie's uh...difficulty penetrating it.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 7, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not in universe. There actually have been more earthquakes since the LHC was started.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Habibi posted:

Also, when they stumbled onto the submarine that had mysteriously worked its way into the middle of the island, did anyone else think that those Japanese super soldiers just loving up and carried that thing there?

For some reason it only now occurred to me, but as much as it just seemed a throw-away method of both demonstrating Barry's mancrush on the Arrow and shoving another double entendre into Felicity's mouth, I wonder if Ollie switches to the aluminum/carbon whatever it was alloy that Barry suggested for the extra penetration given Felicity's very explicit exposition on the density of supermuscles and Ollie's uh...difficulty penetrating it.

The Submarine came from up river!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's not in universe. There actually have been more earthquakes since the LHC was started.

No there haven't.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

The Submarine came from up river!

I thought that was just Slade speculating that it 'must have' wandered down some canal or whatever verbiage he used. I mean, even if it was carried in by supermen, Ollie and Co's initial reaction would probably be to find a rational explanation for it. v:shobon:v I'm just going to believe my version because it's a lot cooler. :cool:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Aphrodite posted:

Even so, correlation is not causation.

I am super excited for the next episode, it is hard to believe that I could be so engrossed by a tv series on the basis of a comic. Is there a break after the mid-season finale and if yes, how long?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Even so, correlation is not causation.

:thejoke:

Hey, I got this rock that keeps away tigers. You interested?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Habibi posted:

I thought that was just Slade speculating that it 'must have' wandered down some canal or whatever verbiage he used. I mean, even if it was carried in by supermen, Ollie and Co's initial reaction would probably be to find a rational explanation for it. v:shobon:v I'm just going to believe my version because it's a lot cooler. :cool:

I was a making a joke about Uncharted, where there is a nazi u-boat in a similar situation that they speculated "came from upriver".

Pretty sure this was also a reference actually, because it's just so drat similar.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Hey, hey look at this guy here. Where are the Japanese supermen to cart him and :thejoke: to the middle of a mostly deserted island?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Habibi posted:

Slade immediately said there must have been a fissure in the island to let the sub get there.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

Very interested.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Habibi posted:

Maybe there is some sort of time-space displacement device hidden somewhere that made the island move from one location to another, making all sorts of strange events happen on it! ... nah, no one would make something that stupid.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Very interested.

I just wanted to say that the Bronze Tiger fight was the coolest one the show has had right after Merlyn's. Proto-Grundy's was pretty sweet as well, as short as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Man of Steel was dogshit and I hope it and everyone involved stay far far away from Arrow.

Ok.

• Locked thread