Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The TNG characters that were recycled on DS9 were all improved on, so O'Brien being a better character in the second series he appeared in is hardly surprising. It also helps that Colm Meaney is a fantastic actor.

Also, this thread is well overdue a new title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tony Montana posted:

Well holy poo poo that owned too. The slow mo of the engineer coming through the crowd with the pistol (it was all a bit Undiscovered Country, wasn't it) and Sisko's unity speech and pretty much the whole thing. No techo-babble, no silly characters, lots of juicy plot. DS9 has begun to own.

Don't forget about Sisko's slow motion leap to block the shot.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Vedius Pollio posted:

Hey Goons, I finally have copious amounts of free time and lots of mind-altering substances, I've been planning all year to spend my free month in a glorious haze of Star Trek the original series in all its wonderful retro '60s sci-fi glory. The problem is that I'm really, really not into the remastered version's special effects, like, the CGI honestly makes me feel really weird and takes the fun out of watching Star Trek. So I'm intent on finding some way to watch the whole thing in the original for the first time.

I've received really conflicting reports on the presence of the original special effects in the various releases. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, and I'm on a little bit of a budget, I was planning to buy this version, but I've heard conflicting reports as to whether it has both the remaster and the original: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Complete-Original-Seasons/dp/B001DHXT6G

If that's not what I'm after then how should I go about finding a way to watch TOS in the original?

Throw in some TAS for maximum enjoyment.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cat Hatter posted:

That BOP was the personal flagship of the Duras Sisters. If a Starfleet admiral can soup-up the 80+ year old Lakota to go toe-to-toe with the Defiant, a brand new purpose-built warship, then I don't have a problem with the leaders of a house that almost took over the Klingon Empire being able to pimp out a 20 year old warship to stand up to the ~8 year old Enterprise whose shields weren't working.

The Duras Sisters were on their last legs, in an outdated Bird-of-Prey. The Lakota was taken down pretty quickly when the Defiant actually fought back. And is there a reason that Worf couldn't cycle the shield frequency?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Odo has also become some sort of super-detective, continuing him being the Data/Spock character but without the super-sperg.

Vagabundo posted:

It also helps that Colm Meaney is a fantastic actor.

So I was looking at his wiki and man, has he done a lot of work. Then I wanted to see a picture his first wife and I found this. I don't know what it is but I'm pretty sure it's awesome

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
That looks like it came from Zardoz.

If you like Sean Connery in a red banana hammock and string bikini and giant stone floating heads talking about evil penises, hell yeah it's awesome.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Admittedly some people don't enjoy the Bajoran heavy episodes in DS9 but I rather liked watching the growth and politics of the planet and DS9's relationship with it, especially since helping prepare it for Federation membership was why Sisko was sent there in the first place. S2 also opens with a nice little 3 parter of them so you might want to save starting it until you can do them back to back.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

I think what you might want to do is not limit yourself to a few moments but put each episode where the bulk of the action is. In other words, "Trials and Tribbleations" mostly takes place in the TOS era and placing it there makes sense. However, "All Good Things" actually spends more time with Old Picard than anywhere else and therefore should be shown pretty much last. That should put each story in place that makes more sense rather than "All Good Things" right at the beginning because there was one scene set at the dawn of time.

That also lets you use "All Good Things" to conclude the whole of Star Trek and that's about as good a way to conclude as I can imagine.

It would make more sense to do it that way but then the series wouldn't end on All Good Things, it would have to end with a series of Voyager/Enterprise episodes taking place in the 29th/31st century :v:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Circutron posted:

That looks like it came from Zardoz.

If you like Sean Connery in a red banana hammock and string bikini and giant stone floating heads talking about evil penises, hell yeah it's awesome.

Oh.. I have no idea what it is, so perhaps it's not awesome.

edit: what the gently caress is this poo poo

In the year AD 2293, a post-apocalyptic Earth is inhabited mostly by the Brutals, who are ruled by the Eternals. Eternals use other Brutals, called Exterminators, as the Chosen warrior class. The Exterminators worship the god Zardoz, a huge, flying, hollow stone head. Zardoz teaches:

The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth ... and kill!

The Zardoz god head supplies the Exterminators with weapons, while the Exterminators supply it with grain. Zed (Sean Connery), an Exterminator, hides himself within Zardoz for an initially unknown purpose. He shoots and apparently kills its pilot, Arthur Frayn (Niall Buggy), who has already identified himself as an Eternal in the story's prologue.

Reception
The film received mixed to negative reviews, with many feeling it was not as strong as 1984 and 2001: A Space Odyssey, both films were mentioned in its poster ad.

This is not awesome.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Admittedly some people don't enjoy the Bajoran heavy episodes in DS9 but I rather liked watching the growth and politics of the planet and DS9's relationship with it, especially since helping prepare it for Federation membership was why Sisko was sent there in the first place. S2 also opens with a nice little 3 parter of them so you might want to save starting it until you can do them back to back.

If they're like the last 2 of S1 I can watch that poo poo all day. I won't start on S2 tonight then as it's already late.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 7, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Honestly you should watch the remastered TOS because the cleaned up film looks gorgeous in HD

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Goddamn that was dumb. It seems like something aristocratic military officers from the 19th century would do, not the senior officers on the Enterprise.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

So I was looking at his wiki and man, has he done a lot of work. Then I wanted to see a picture his first wife and I found this. I don't know what it is but I'm pretty sure it's awesome

Seeing as how that's a young Sean Connery and a young Charlotte Rampling, it's probably from Zardoz, directed by John Boorman of Deliverance fame. Charlotte Rampling is a great actress and you should probably see Francois Ozon's Swimming Pool, if you haven't already.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Deliverance, that was good. This does not look good. I'll take a look at Swimming Pool, though, thanks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zardoz is shite, but it's worth at least one viewing just for the sheer craziness of it.

In Star Trek news, Alex Kurtzman has been replaced by the relatively new duo of JD Payne and Patrick McKay for the next film, which is expected to be released in 2016, to mark 50 years since the start of the franchise.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 7, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Farecoal posted:

Goddamn that was dumb. It seems like something aristocratic military officers from the 19th century would do, not the senior officers on the Enterprise.

Data pushing in Beverly Crusher was also funny, and it rang false that everyone acted like he was a robojerk for doing it.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The writers for the next movie have been revealed, J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay alongside Roberto Orci.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Farecoal posted:

The Duras Sisters were on their last legs, in an outdated Bird-of-Prey. The Lakota was taken down pretty quickly when the Defiant actually fought back. And is there a reason that Worf couldn't cycle the shield frequency?

The Defiant fought back the whole time and only fared better because of its ablative armor. Either ship could have destroyed the other with quantum torpedoes had they wanted to murder a bunch of fellow officers.

Except for Picard's quip about the D12 being old, 20 years isn't a huge amount of time in terms of capital ships (with a few exceptions like during world wars). The F-22 first flew 16 years ago and airplane technology/procurement progresses much faster than that of ships. poo poo, the Excelsior class was over 80 years old by then and seemed to be the second most powerful ship on active duty during TNG.

I will concede that according to http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/bop-size.htm the Durases probably had one of the 110m BOPs, not the 300m version used through most of TNG. Also, Worf is dumb for not fiddling with the shields but not as stupid as the Klingons were for retiring an entire class of ship for having a dicky cloaking device. Its not like they built the ship around the cloaking device like a space A-10 Warthog and now they can't figure out how to get the damned thing out to replace it. Actually that seems pretty funny.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jesus Christ why sperg out over imaginary starship stats?

Might as well post on stardestroyer.net or something.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Kikkoman posted:

Is Farscape any good? Anything I should know before I get into it?

Okay, I guess it's time for a rant, so here goes: Watch Farscape

The only background you need to know:

a) It's Australian and incredibly low-budget
b) Muppets and practical creature effects

Farscape is the story of Michael Crichton, a mediocre actor astronaut who does some sort of extreme dive-turn on present-day Earth and somehow falls into a wormhole onto the other side of the universe. How? Frell you, that's how. It happens. He makes friends with some escaped prisoners and a huge living ship. They have adventures.

It's sort of like Lost in Space made by the people who came up with Mad Max, bondage gear and all. Seriously, half of the cast in this show wears some sort of fetish gear. The primary villain wears a gimp cooling suit and is Evil with a capital E. He makes Gul Dukat look like the sort of guy you'd want to play golf with.

Farscape does something you don't see on television: it makes the alien really, well, alien. This isn't the land of bumpy foreheads. They do alien things for alien reasons, and the only other "humans" Crichton meets are an insanely xenophobic military force that hunt him down like vermin.

Every main character has a compelling backstory that comes into play and makes a lot of the episodes insanely personal. There's also a crazy amount of stuff going on at once; instead of stand-alone episodes with little bits of season arc dribbled in, there are two to four major arcs interacting all at once, and they don't usually wrap up at convenient times like the end of a season or episode as you might see in other shows. They pick up new friends (because one blue chick wasn't enough, here's another!) and make new enemies and it turns out just about everything they do matters in the future.

The show also refuses to take itself seriously. It's not afraid to ham it up or play itself for comedy, and it'll break the fourth wall in surprising ways. By the middle of season two you get to see an entire episode set in Crichton's subconscious, complete with a muppet in bondage gear and one of the male villains dressed as a cop in pink nylons and pumps. Basically, it just gets crazier and crazier. Oh, and Farscape did space swearing before space swearing was cool.

I'd been reticent to pick the series up for years; it looks silly and stupid and you know what? It is. It's also amazing, entertaining, and unlike anything else you'll watch before or since. So go watch Farscape. Yes, you. Before you rewatch Deep Space Nine for the twelfth time or pop in your lovely Babylon 5 DVDs or loving convince yourself to watch Voyager, watch this show.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Gau posted:

or loving convince yourself to watch Voyager, watch this show.

Just to remind everyone:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BurnBlackJay posted:

The writers for the next movie have been revealed, J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay alongside Roberto Orci.

2 posts up, man. It's on the same page, jesus.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Bravo, Gau. I shall watch Farscape.

For Banks readers, the main ship is an animal and communicates and has feelings. Not quite Banks style AI, but more interesting than the ship's computer.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gau posted:

He makes Gul Dukat look like the sort of guy you'd want to play golf with.

Hey is there any mention of what becomes of Golf in the 23rd/24th century?

I hope it goes away as a colossal waste of space and time, but I'm not a big golf guy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Otisburg posted:

Hey is there any mention of what becomes of Golf in the 23rd/24th century?

I hope it goes away as a colossal waste of space and time, but I'm not a big golf guy.

It still exists, unfortunately. Baseball, golf, polo - Star Trek writers sure do like the lovely sports.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm sure golf was folded into ambo-jyutsu at some point, along with curling.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

For Banks readers, the main ship is an animal and communicates and has feelings. Not quite Banks style AI, but more interesting than the ship's computer.

The ship not only has feelings, it's intelligent and has a perspective on life. Moya (the ship has a name) is also bonded to a Pilot, who is the animatronic guy they talk to. And when I say bonded, I mean literally; they are grafted together and communicate mostly by neural transmission. A surprising amount of time is spent convincing Pilot and/or Moya to do what they want her to do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm sure golf was folded into ambo-jyutsu at some point, along with curling.

No, that's a martial art, not really a sport. Parrises Squares is the all-sport. Golf clubs slowly evolved into ion mallets and the ball was replaced by Harry Kim's ribcage.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Regardless of how anyone rationalizes that it makes sense that the Enterprise-D was killed by a 20 year old BOP, that it's really a newer class and the shields were down or whatever, it still looks pretty much identical to the one in the Search for Spock. It's pretty goddamn lame that the flagship of the fleet and one of the most iconic ships in the series was taken out by a lone BOP that looks like one from Kirk's era, captained by a pair of comic relief villains who were played for laughs.

We all know the real reason why this is the case: Generations was cheap, they had the studio model for the BOP, and they could reuse footage from older movies (like the scene where it explodes). They probably didn't think the Romulan Warbird or Borg Cube models were detailed enough for the big screen and were too cheap to make or new ones or modify the existing ones.

The idea behind the movie was a good one - make a film where Kirk can pass the torch to Picard, but it was just executed in such an underwhelming way. It's like an episode of the TV show pretending to be a movie. (Insurrection has this same problem.) It's not even that Generations is a fundamentally terrible movie or a terrible idea - it was just a promising premise that they totally squandered and was just simply disappointing.

Generations isn't all bad. It certainly has its moments. But it's just underwhelming, and Kirk and the Enterprise-D deserved to go out with a bang instead of a whimper.

Generations also isn't anywhere near as lovely as Insurrection or Nemesis and is one of the two TNG movies that's actually worth watching.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Man, imagine if after all those times of threatening it, we'd finally seen a Romulan Warbird just loving go to town on the Enterprise on the big screen. THAT would have been a worthy end.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gammatron 64 posted:

The idea behind the movie was a good one - make a film where Kirk can pass the torch to Picard,

There was a post awhile ago in a closed Trek thread. I believe it went something like: "Generations was made so that Kirk could pass the torch to Picard, even though TNG had had seven successful seasons and didn't need to bow to the old crew. Nope, gotta pass the torch. Pass that torch. C'mon, pass that torch. Pass it."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tony Montana posted:

It's also fun because the main character is a science-fiction fan, and sometimes reacts to the plot in some very meta ways because he's seen this episode of Star Trek before.

"Godlike aliens! Man, do I hate godlike aliens..."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Gau posted:

Man, imagine if after all those times of threatening it, we'd finally seen a Romulan Warbird just loving go to town on the Enterprise on the big screen. THAT would have been a worthy end.

Yeah, exactly. It's a drat shame it never happened.

Farecoal posted:

There was a post awhile ago in a closed Trek thread. I believe it went something like: "Generations was made so that Kirk could pass the torch to Picard, even though TNG had had seven successful seasons and didn't need to bow to the old crew. Nope, gotta pass the torch. Pass that torch. C'mon, pass that torch. Pass it."

Yeah, that's true. Granted, I think they did it because a lot of more casual moviegoers might be more familiar with Kirk and Spock, although TNG was probably the most mainstream and well known series after the original so it likely didn't need it. That said, people had wanted a Kirk and Picard crossover for years. And well... I guess Generations just shows you should be careful what you wish for.

I myself went on in a previous thread how cool it would have been if we had got a TNG \ DS9 crossover movie instead of Insurrection, or if Picard and the Enterprise-E showed up in the middle of a battle during the Dominion War, but while that would be really cool in my head, in practice they probably would have hosed it up.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Farecoal posted:

No poo poo.. there was never a TNG moment of .. James T. Kirk.. ah yes, the legendary Captain. Or was there? I seem to remember something.. at ANY point in TNG was Kirk directly referenced? Come on, Trek Thread..

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tony Montana posted:

No poo poo.. there was never a TNG moment of .. James T. Kirk.. ah yes, the legendary Captain. Or was there? I seem to remember something.. at ANY point in TNG was Kirk directly referenced? Come on, Trek Thread..

Hmmm Unification count?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ah yeah, maybe that's what piqued my memory.. but that was just Spock.

hang on, TNG ran till 94. Generations came out in 94. Why is the torch being passed after the series has finished?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Ah yeah, maybe that's what piqued my memory.. but that was just Spock.

hang on, TNG ran till 94. Generations came out in 94. Why is the torch being passed after the series has finished?

I'm sure it's just them wanting to bridge the movies.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Not mentioning TOS characters was a weird cultural thing from the producers at the time.

Talking about the season 3 episode Sarek:

Ira Behr posted:

I broke open the barrier and made it possible for The Next Generation to use names like Spock on-screen. That was a major taboo when I got there. No way could you mention the original Star Trek characters. It took days and days of arguing to slip in a single reference to Spock. So I like to think in my own sort of incoherent way I helped start to push open the door to what was a very, very closed and narrow franchise.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm sure it's just them wanting to bridge the movies.

Hell of a bridge.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It makes no sense though.. we've been watching TNG for years by this point. Picard is the man, has been so for 7 drat seasons. Riker has grown a beard. Troi's Mum never got into Picard's pants. Who the gently caress even is Kirk by this stage?

If it was some cool 80s flick and then kicked off TNG.. ok. I guess like the TOS movies, happened years after.. except the TOS movies were cool because everyone was oldfucks by then and that was woven into the plots.

Star Trek: It makes no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

hailthefish posted:

Hell of a bridge.

To put a finer point on it, yes.

• Locked thread