Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Constable Lemon posted:

Quick Attack, Swords Dance, Return, and Earthquake is undoubtedly the best Mega Pinsir set. Unless you are doing Doubles, in which case Feint is probably a decent choice. But Return does an absurd amount of damage thanks to Aerialte. It, along with STAB, doubles its base power. I can't really stress enough the fact that after a Swords Dance, Return will OHKO everything that doesn't resist it, with very little exception. Close Combat is generally worse than Earthquake coverage-wise, plus it makes you weaker to physical priority moves.

And X-Scissor wouldn't be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

re: Return and Amie. Welp, shows how much I actually know about this.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

198 is a bigger number than 120.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

X-Scissor would, in the best case, do about 20% more damage to Psychic and Dark types, and 25% more damage to Electric and Rock types, compared to Return. Meanwhile, it would do about a third as much damage as Return to Fairy, Fire, Flying, Ghost, and Poison types, and some ludicrously more effective number to Fighting, not to mention about 66% more against every other type.

X-Scissor on Mega Pinsir is a terrible idea.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Guess I've got a dinner date with Pinsir then.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Guess I've got a dinner date with Pinsir then.

Get it a massage and fill it with EV-reducing berries. Pokemon-amie affection and friendship are not the same thing.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Alternatively, give it a Soothe Bell and bike around the Eiffel Tower for half an hour.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You bred this guy, actually, so I think you'll hit 220+ Friendship after the first few rounds of Le Wow battles with all of the levels you're due to get. It's not max, but you'll be pretty close.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Millions posted:

Alternatively, give it a Soothe Bell and bike around the Eiffel Tower for half an hour.

A romantic bike ride in Paris with Pinsir-chan sounds like a perfect Saturday evening! Too bad I've still got to evolve Riolu but I think I have another Soothe Bell

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Apparently, Smogon has banned Gengarite. Smogon really hates Shadow Tag.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Constable Lemon posted:

It is significantly more useful in 6v6. It's the same reason they love Stealth Rock so much.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Constable Lemon posted:

:zoid:Now it's Gothitelle's time to shine!:zoid:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Chain fishing today yielded a bright pink Quilfish!

BTW, it turns out that catching a shiny resets the chain, if anyone else thinks of doing it and tries carrying on afterwards like I did. The guide I used didn't mention that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
In case anyone else was still in the dark, Pokemon Bank is open in North America the 27th. https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/386183184398168064

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 7, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Is there any level it's preferable to evolve Gligar at? Don't want to miss any of his moves.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there any level it's preferable to evolve Gligar at? Don't want to miss any of his moves.

Level 2. Unless you really need Poison Sting or Slash. Then level 27.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Constable Lemon posted:

Noooooooo... :(

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well "banned" means "moved to Ubers," and I'm sure Mega Gengar will do acceptably in that tier.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I find it interesting that a lot of people on the battle spot seem to follow Smogon's bannings. I've not seen a Blaziken or a Mega Gengar since Smogon banned them even though there's nothing stopping people using them.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-68219855

Holy poo poo, just had a 70 turn match where avalugg and rear end in a top hat tree pulled my rear end out a failed slurpuff sweep. I don't care which tier smogon puts them in, these guys are OU in my heart

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I picked Charmander as my 1st gen starter despite having the Mystery Gift Torchic and a Fletchinder. Truly I am a master pokemon tactician. :downs:

Loving the game so far, looks great on my Zelda 3DSXL. My only complaint is that the 3D feature isn't used all that well.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Holy poo poo, just had a 70 turn match where avalugg and rear end in a top hat tree pulled my rear end out a failed slurpuff sweep. I don't care which tier smogon puts them in, these guys are OU in my heart

70 turn? Try 421 turns (not my game):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-68178871

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You both did a million things that make no drat sense in this match and it's messing with my head.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Like what? I've never done competitive before, so critique would be appreciated.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Unfortunately, play back stopped at Turn 224.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Starhawk64 posted:

I picked Charmander as my 1st gen starter despite having the Mystery Gift Torchic and a Fletchinder. Truly I am a master pokemon tactician. :downs:

Loving the game so far, looks great on my Zelda 3DSXL. My only complaint is that the 3D feature isn't used all that well.

I did pretty much the same thing. TEAM FIRE STARTERS 4 LYFE. I also like the change to the Experience Share because it reduces the need to grind and I usually try to have an evenly-leveled team. It's just that I ended up going against the Elite Four with a team full of monsters of at least level 70.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Like what? I've never done competitive before, so critique would be appreciated.

The worst things I saw were bad/missed predictions. There were a few times you left a pokemon in (presumably expecting the switch) and hit him with something not really worth it, and a few where you hit his switch-in with something non-effective. The latter were in situations where had had made the switch before (such as bringing in Scizor/Conkeldurr on your Avalugg).

The problem I run into in those situations is not having a good answer for the switch, but it's best to go ahead and bring your predicted response in rather than waste a move. Against a good opponent, you have to figure out how many switches ahead to go.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Unbound posted:

Unfortunately, play back stopped at Turn 224.

...How the hell does he not run out of PP? Slack off has a base 10 pp what the hell I am very confused right now.

Nevermind I didn't catch the leppa berry that's just nasty.

_Endgame_ fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 8, 2013

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Leppa berry + Recycle

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

_Endgame_ posted:

...How the hell does he not run out of PP? Slack off has a base 10 pp what the hell I am very confused right now.
Harvesting a Leppa Berry, maybe?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

_Endgame_ posted:

Leppa Berry.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Neither of you were predicting obvious switches and somewhere around the fifth time you hit a switched-in Scizor for like five damage I wanted to cry.

e: Also, that Slowbro set will be a lot meaner in gen six once the bank opens up, since Oblivious makes him immune to Taunt now. :getin:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The worst things I saw were bad/missed predictions. There were a few times you left a pokemon in (presumably expecting the switch) and hit him with something not really worth it, and a few where you hit his switch-in with something non-effective. The latter were in situations where had had made the switch before (such as bringing in Scizor/Conkeldurr on your Avalugg).

The problem I run into in those situations is not having a good answer for the switch, but it's best to go ahead and bring your predicted response in rather than waste a move. Against a good opponent, you have to figure out how many switches ahead to go.

Oh yeah, i definitely messed up some switches. But I mean, thats just guessing, not a lot I can do right? (other than just don't guess wrong )

LAY-ZX posted:

Neither of you were predicting obvious switches and somewhere around the fifth time you hit a switched-in Scizor for like five damage I wanted to cry.

I had nothing effective against scizor, goodra had my fire

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I had nothing effective against scizor, goodra had my fire

Mostly I think I just couldn't figure out why Gogoat didn't have Earthquake. It would have at least done SOME damage. What's his moveset?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Mostly I think I just couldn't figure out why Gogoat didn't have Earthquake. It would have at least done SOME damage. What's his moveset?

He did. I didn't keep him in against scizor cause scizor loving wrecks him. Mine is specially defensive with milk drink/horn leech/EQ/ bulk up. Without a bunch of bulks hes loving dead against a physical threat like scizor

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Oh yeah, i definitely messed up some switches. But I mean, thats just guessing, not a lot I can do right? (other than just don't guess wrong )

It's not really just guessing, though - especially after he has done the same thing several times. You know something else is coming in, so either switch or set-up or target the expected switch-in.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Millions posted:

Vitamins increase happiness too. Use bargain power level 3, buy 20 or so; and you're set.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
What's a good way to build Mega Banette?

Banette @ Banettite
Frisk
Nature? EVs?
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp

I'm not sure what to do with the nature and EVs. 252 HP and 252 Atk?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Immer posted:

What's a good way to build Mega Banette?

Banette @ Banettite
Frisk
Nature? EVs?
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp

I'm not sure what to do with the nature and EVs. 252 HP and 252 Atk?

If you just want something to taunt/burn dudes, go with Sableye instead. Banette should be getting more use of that titanic attack stat. At the very least he wants Sucker Punch and Shadow Claw (or Phantom Force if you want to get even more firepower at the cost of telegraphing your attack). The other two slots I think Destiny Bond and Will-o-Wisp would probably be your best bet. EVs would probably do best in attack and HP, and Adamant nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Does anyone have any 3+ IV Zorua's they'd mind tossing me? Looking for one to kick off my quest for the best Zoroark.

• Locked thread