Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

verybad posted:

It's not like INT is terribly important for mages unless you're playing on Core+/No-Reload, either.

The EEs actually have spell scribing limits based on Int implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Moving on through my IWD run, I just finished the whole Severed Hand tower, and it was amazing. Is it normal that I like that game a lot more than BG? I like the mini story arcs a lot.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
IWD is a beautiful game, both of them are.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Furism posted:

Moving on through my IWD run, I just finished the whole Severed Hand tower, and it was amazing. Is it normal that I like that game a lot more than BG? I like the mini story arcs a lot.

This might be heresy, but Icewind Dale's music, atmosphere and environments are all superior to BG's. It's not surprising that some people prefer it.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Well I get tired of looking at snow all the time, but overall it's pretty good.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think if there's one thing I didn't like about IWD, it's the fact they spring enemies completely immune to non-enchanted weapons on you in like the second dungeon. It's like, okay, your normal swords and arrows mean nothing, you're hosed. Especially if you were used to Baldur's Gate and had went in with an Archer loaded with standard arrows. Whoops.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Pimpmust posted:

A Monk might not be that great, but I never get tired of importing a Kenshiro portrait and making dudes explode with punches :allears:

I did see some interesting bracers in the Black Pits module that seem to be new with the EE edition, anyway those show up / can be bought in the regular games?

Just wait til your monk gets some levels. By the end of BG2 Rasaad was loving everything sideways. Absolute monster

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

jneer posted:

This might be heresy, but Icewind Dale's music, atmosphere and environments are all superior to BG's. It's not surprising that some people prefer it.

The Kuldahar theme alone is worth a playthrough.
http://youtu.be/-kMsj9Pb6Ms

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
To whoever complained about not playing evil characters in BG1, you're dead on.

I'd never played an Evil character before in PnP or computer D&D, but I decided an evil Fighter/Thief was for me. Holy poo poo is it worthless. If you say evil things you don't get rewards from so many quests, but 10% of the time you might get an extra 10-50 gold. Not worth it. You can't really murder anyone or do anything because the penalties are so severe.

The story itself is even good focused. You can't decide early on to stop helping people in the mines or solving their crises and instead hunt Sarevok down like a dog. You get no benefit from killing Imoen to steal her power. You can't meet a priest of Cyric (there's at least 2) and decide to join him.

And the worst is Viconia talks poo poo every time your reputation goes up, but I had to use EEKeeper to bump my reputation to positive levels when I met her just to be able to recruit her rear end. They made it so a loving evil cleric drow won't join you if your reputation is too low.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MrTheDevious posted:

Just wait til your monk gets some levels. By the end of BG2 Rasaad was loving everything sideways. Absolute monster

Don't they end up with +5 weapons for hands and immune to anything less than a +3, in addition to their punch that can kill things instantly and insane AC bonus?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcaeris posted:

To whoever complained about not playing evil characters in BG1, you're dead on.

I'd never played an Evil character before in PnP or computer D&D, but I decided an evil Fighter/Thief was for me. Holy poo poo is it worthless. If you say evil things you don't get rewards from so many quests, but 10% of the time you might get an extra 10-50 gold. Not worth it. You can't really murder anyone or do anything because the penalties are so severe.

The story itself is even good focused. You can't decide early on to stop helping people in the mines or solving their crises and instead hunt Sarevok down like a dog. You get no benefit from killing Imoen to steal her power. You can't meet a priest of Cyric (there's at least 2) and decide to join him.

And the worst is Viconia talks poo poo every time your reputation goes up, but I had to use EEKeeper to bump my reputation to positive levels when I met her just to be able to recruit her rear end. They made it so a loving evil cleric drow won't join you if your reputation is too low.

Well to be fair, if you have a low reputation she probably has heard that you like to lure people into the woods and murder them. I wouldn't join you too, no matter how evil I was.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Either that or you thought it would be a fun idea to steal an idol from a digging expedition and cause the death of everyone there.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The fact remains that even evil people don't want to spend time near people who might murder them.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Don't they end up with +5 weapons for hands and immune to anything less than a +3, in addition to their punch that can kill things instantly and insane AC bonus?
This is like a legend of a monk that has grown in the telling

IIRC Their fists end up +4, they're immune to normal weapons, they have an ability that makes anything they hit for 1 round save vs death or die and their AC gets better as they level up but as they can't wear armor or shields it never gets insane.

They do also end up with a natural 83% magic resistance, immunity to slow, poison, disease, charm, move amazingly quickly and have +2 to saves vs spells

Iggles fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 7, 2013

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

caleramaen posted:

The fact remains that even evil people don't want to spend time near people who might murder them.

So you're saying that an evil party as a concept shouldn't exist? Maybe for all CEs even, but the idea of several LEs grouping up for a common goal is not a weird idea at all. Or the idea of one leader (the PC) and a bunch of evil henchmen who are along for the loot.

You could just be a self-serving opportunist dick and still be D&D evil, and it will still get you a reputation of -infinity and no chance to recruit followers.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Just loaded an old ToB save to check -- My Rasaad's level 32

-13 AC base which is by far the best in my party, -11 THACO
Fists are +4 1d20, 4 attacks/round, immune to basically everything and 88% raw magic resist.

He plows.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcaeris posted:

So you're saying that an evil party as a concept shouldn't exist? Maybe for all CEs even, but the idea of several LEs grouping up for a common goal is not a weird idea at all. Or the idea of one leader (the PC) and a bunch of evil henchmen who are along for the loot.

You could just be a self-serving opportunist dick and still be D&D evil, and it will still get you a reputation of -infinity and no chance to recruit followers.

I'm saying that the game is written in a way that all evil characters come off as psychopaths. The good dialogue is fine, but the evil stuff is way out there. And reputation isn't a repetition of the deeds you've done. It's how rumors interpret your actions. You kill one guy for no reason, and now the rumor is that you are a serial killer. I agree, you should be able to play the game the way you want, but that isn't how it's written.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I always liked how aside from raising a demon at the mining operation, one of the easiest ways to tank your reputation is to get in a fight with that guy who poisons you at Baldur's Gate. One of his first moves is almost always Confusion, which since you're fighting upstairs in a packed inn, is most likely going to cause your group to run off and slaughter everyone there. It wasn't my fault!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MrTheDevious posted:

Just loaded an old ToB save to check -- My Rasaad's level 32

-13 AC base which is by far the best in my party, -11 THACO
Fists are +4 1d20, 4 attacks/round, immune to basically everything and 88% raw magic resist.

He plows.
I think you can hit like -20 AC at that level but yeah, monks are pretty stupid at high levels.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

jneer posted:

Not heresy at all. As far as replay value goes, IWD1 (never finished 2) is the crowning achievement of the Infinity engine games. The Baldur's Gates may be the one that everyone's heard of, and PS:T may have the deepest story, but IWD delivers fun gameplay in an excellent package in such a way, that it never gets stale. PS:T was a real eye opener for me, in regards to roleplaying games, but it's IWD that I've completed more than a dozen times over. In that company, Baldur's Gate is a bit of an afterthought, really.

dvl
Mar 9, 2007
n/a

Arcaeris posted:

It's not because of the reputation alone. You get a reaction roll which is then modified by reputation and charisma. Some NPCs won't join if that roll is too low. Having a bit higher charisma would have probably allowed you to recruit her even with low reputation.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Dorn appears to be flirting with me. Talk about unexpected :stare:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MrTheDevious posted:

Dorn appears to be flirting with me. Talk about unexpected :stare:

How does Dorn get along with good party members in BG2? I'm going to be starting my first BG2EE run soon and I'd like to use him since I skipped him in BG1 due to that game's insane hatred of evil conduct, but I don't want to lock myself out of cool dudes like Mazzy and Keldorn.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Kanos posted:

How does Dorn get along with good party members in BG2? I'm going to be starting my first BG2EE run soon and I'd like to use him since I skipped him in BG1 due to that game's insane hatred of evil conduct, but I don't want to lock myself out of cool dudes like Mazzy and Keldorn.

It seems like they didn't introduce any alignment fights with new characters to maximize uptake but I could be wrong.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

oswald ownenstein posted:

It seems like they didn't introduce any alignment fights with new characters to maximize uptake but I could be wrong.

Several characters fight with Hexxat or just leave if she's in the party, as I understand it, and I believe Anomen leaves if you recruit Dorn.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The way Reputation is set up it's less a Good/Evil scale and more... well, what everyone else thinks you are about. It's silly that your evil party members gets upset about having a "Heroic" reputation if you think about it, I usually switch that mechanic off with a mod when I play.

As for the story being "good aligned", on my last replay I reflected over the fact that I had murdered some 20 bears before even hitting Nashkel, and not to mention a village or two of Smurfs. And that was with a good party :haw:

Oh yeah, and the whole collecting scalps for money. Only human scalps, mind you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anomen definitely drops the party if you pick up Hexxat (though he doesn't disappear, he goes back to the Copper Coronet). I'm not aware of any duels, though. I imagine Dorn would actually fight.

I wonder if the community will eventually mod out those conflicts for the tweakpack

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I wonder if the community will eventually mod out those conflicts for the tweakpack

Probably. Lots of folks like using Keldorn and to a lesser degree Aerie even in otherwise all-evil parties due to how powerful they are, and don't like that those two characters get into fights with evil NPCs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Several characters fight with Hexxat or just leave if she's in the party, as I understand it, and I believe Anomen leaves if you recruit Dorn.

Everyone hates Hexxat. She pretty much had my entire party bitching. The only reason nobody left was because Keldorn murdered her so quickly. I at least knew he was getting ready to slaughter Viconia...Hexxat he has like one "I don't like this bitch" line then immediately tears her head off.

Dorn I've not had any issues with at all, but I didn't use him in BG2 on my good playthrough. He's drat happy in my evil party. Almost too happy... His quest owns though

vvv That's probably true since Keldorn happily murders basically every NPC that isn't ponies and rainbows level of good

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 7, 2013

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
I tried recruiting Keldorn with Dorn in my party and I got a dialogue that (I think) always leads to one or the other leaving the party and attacking.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

Everyone hates Hexxat. She pretty much had my entire party bitching. The only reason nobody left was because Keldorn murdered her so quickly. I at least knew he was getting ready to slaughter Viconia...Hexxat he has like one "I don't like this bitch" line then immediately tears her head off.

Dorn I've not had any issues with at all, but I didn't use him in BG2 on my good playthrough. He's drat happy in my evil party. Almost too happy... His quest owns though

vvv That's probably true since Keldorn happily murders basically every NPC that isn't ponies and rainbows level of good

Interesting.

What's funny is that Hexxat's writing is hardly evil at all. She has one little bit of evil when you first complete her quest and she's basically been chaotic neutral at worse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrTheDevious posted:

Personally? I think Dorn and Hexxat were added specifically for evil players due to the dearth of evil-aligned characters in the base game. You've got Korgan, Viconia, and Edwin. True, they're the only single-classed examples of their classes in the game and they're very strong as a result, but that's still only three. Dorn adds an evil Keldorn-equivalent, and Hexxat is the best thief in the game, I believe. With BG2EE, you can now have a complete party of evil characters.

quote:

He attacks Edwin (a possibly rogue representative of the Red Wizards), Viconia (an unrepentant drow and priestess of one of the FR's primary evil deities), Hexxat (an undead monster), and Dorn (a blackguard). He doesn't attack Korgan or Haer'Dalis, much less any other neutral or good characters. CN Anomen will pick a fight with him, but Keldorn doesn't start that one.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Interesting.

What's funny is that Hexxat's writing is hardly evil at all. She has one little bit of evil when you first complete her quest and she's basically been chaotic neutral at worse.

Yeah, but there's a pretty obvious extenuating circumstance with her that makes everyone want to butcher her immediately regardless of her actions. Everybody's super chill with her until you finish that portion of her quest

^^ yeah my party's all-evil now except for Jan, who has zero issues with the rest of us murdering babies and such. The party banter almost makes up for how awful the quests are for evil people

You should spoiler that Hexxat reason :colbert:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 7, 2013

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

Yeah, but there's a pretty obvious extenuating circumstance with her that makes everyone want to butcher her immediately regardless of her actions. Everybody's super chill with her until you finish that portion of her quest

^^ yeah my party's all-evil now except for Jan, who has zero issues with the rest of us murdering babies and such. The party banter almost makes up for how awful the quests are for evil people

You should spoiler that Hexxat reason :colbert:

What are you talking about?

Using the drone to restore her own life? After that's done she is basically true neutral or chaotic neutral.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

What are you talking about?

Using the drone to restore her own life? After that's done she is basically true neutral or chaotic neutral.

No, just the fact that she's a vampire. regardless of how she actually behaves. I agree on the neutral behavior, some NPCs just give no fucks about it.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

dvl posted:

It's not because of the reputation alone. You get a reaction roll which is then modified by reputation and charisma. Some NPCs won't join if that roll is too low. Having a bit higher charisma would have probably allowed you to recruit her even with low reputation.

I understand this, but with 15 CHA there's only so much higher it can go. Another +2 at 18 wouldn't have mattered much when I had to raise reputation by like 11.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As much as I love IWD I never made it through IWD2 and I am thinking of starting up again. All the character creation guides are huge treatises on 3e rules. Is it possible for anyone just to describe what to or not to do for the various member archetypes in general terms so I don't feel like the character guide is playing my game for me?

vvvvvvvvvvv
e. I've got the general idea down, just wondering about major non negotiables like hardiness is a trap and spell casters should take X meta magic and spell pens but not even think about y. I guess that's slightly different for everyone but in the internet guides its all hidden in detailed character builds instead of summary broad strokes.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 8, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

zedprime posted:

As much as I love IWD I never made it through IWD2 and I am thinking of starting up again. All the character creation guides are huge treatises on 3e rules. Is it possible for anyone just to describe what to or not to do for the various member archetypes in general terms so I don't feel like the character guide is playing my game for me?

The reason they're all mega complex is because 3e has a ton of booby trap feats (toughness) and the ability to totally gently caress up your character without realizing it. You can permanently lock characters out of all kinds of later poo poo by not distributing stats/feats correctly and there's no way to know you're doing it except having advance 3e knowledge.

3e did a lot of things right, but it's far worse than 2e as far as being able to gently caress yourself at character creation without knowing it. I'm not sure what kind of description to give since it'd turn into a novel length post, but I've played a ton of 3e so I can answer whatever specific questions you have or check your party once you've made it and point out ways you accidentally hosed yourself.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

zedprime posted:

vvvvvvvvvvv
e. I've got the general idea down, just wondering about major non negotiables like hardiness is a trap and spell casters should take X meta magic and spell pens but not even think about y. I guess that's slightly different for everyone but in the internet guides its all hidden in detailed character builds instead of summary broad strokes.

It's really hard to do this without just writing out a full feat guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Does anyone know for sure how spells that have a level-based duration work with dual classed characters? I was thinking about a Cleric of Lathandar dualled to Fighter at level 6, which lets you get to level 8 in BG and wondered how long Boon of Lathandar would last for as it's meant to be 6 seconds/round according to the kit description, though I know that's not always accurate.