Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Edmund Honda posted:

The game came out two weeks ago and the response is pretty clear by now; it's the lowest rated Forza game by critics and users by some distance.

With promos like this, i'm not sure how they went wrong! :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
All they really even had to do was deliver Forza 4.5 on the bone, instead I feel like I'm playing Forza 0.5 :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
GT6 is pretty awesome guys, just sayin' :shobon:

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Damnit, hard locked. Could someone spam a club invite or something?

Edit: nevermind, found the game.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Falken posted:

GT6 is pretty awesome guys, just sayin' :shobon:

A friend of mine rented it and said it's just like GT5, but with added frame lag. And to think I almost bought a PS3 for it...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Lots of fun racing this afternoon. Probably try to do some racing again next weekend or maybe this week some time, I'll post up here in advance if so.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Edmund Honda posted:

The game came out two weeks ago and the response is pretty clear by now; it's the lowest rated Forza game by critics and users by some distance.
I expected this result due to fan reaction to the reduction in cars and tracks, and microtransactions alone. That comes as not only no surprise, but as a completely inevitable reaction. I hope MS learns from it.

Now that that's out of the way, having played it, the sorts of things I really would like to know are:

Does it drive like Forza?

Does it look good? Any framerate issues? I already know about the 2D spectators.

Is it terribly grindy to get new cars? I like to spend time with my cars, but I like to be able to try new ones, too.

How are the new tracks (except Abby Dabby, I know everyone hates that one)?

Is the vinyl-creation system still in place/basically the same?

Thanks to anyone willing to share their thoughts on these questions, and I'm open to any other feedback you owners would care to add.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr. Faustus posted:

I expected this result due to fan reaction to the reduction in cars and tracks, and microtransactions alone. That comes as not only no surprise, but as a completely inevitable reaction. I hope MS learns from it.

Now that that's out of the way, having played it, the sorts of things I really would like to know are:

Does it look good? Any framerate issues? I already know about the 2D spectators.

Is it terribly grindy to get new cars? I like to spend time with my cars, but I like to be able to try new ones, too.

Thanks to anyone willing to share their thoughts on these questions, and I'm open to any other feedback you owners would care to add.

Abu Dhabi isn't actually that bad of a track to race on (I haven't played F5, but I've driven on it in F1 2013). It's just that the races there are boring on TV.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I'm sorry guys, I thought I was in the FM5 thread because of Harrison's post. Should I move this or is it fine, here?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Lots of fun racing this afternoon. Probably try to do some racing again next weekend or maybe this week some time, I'll post up here in advance if so.

I'd be cool to have us meet up on Saturdays at 8pm GMT, even if we only got one Eurogoon today (and I overslept and was a half hour late :sweatdrop:)

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 8, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

speedtek posted:

A friend of mine rented it and said it's just like GT5, but with added frame lag. And to think I almost bought a PS3 for it...
Not trying to GT6 ra-ra-ra in a bone thread, but no, it's not.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry guys, I thought I was in the FM5 thread because of Harrison's post. Should I move this or is it fine, here?

Nah, I got ya. I'm out right now but I'll give you a meaty response later.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

General Probe posted:

Nah, I got ya. I'm out right now but I'll give you a meaty response later.
Most appreciated, good news and/or bad.

Those screenshots in the FM5 thread are pretty.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

We did 4 laps at Sonoma in R2 earlier. On the 4th lap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_h238QYDs

What the hell is wrong with me :sweatdrop:

e: holy poo poo Panda, you were not kidding about d-pad steering. I almost wish I didn't know about it now because my god it's overpowered as gently caress. It only took me 4 laps of Catalunya in C class to adapt to it, and the only downside is that if you should get sideways, trying to correct it sends you off track immediately. Other than that, this is insane. Even more so with sim steering off.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 8, 2013

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

1. Yes, it should feel very familiar. Transition shouldn't be difficult at all. No doubt physics have been improved but they were already so good in 4 I think you'll hardly know the difference

2. Sort of. T10 has,for now, listened to the fans and gifted a number of very expensive cars and try to ameliorate some concerns by having a half price weekend. As far as long term changes are concerned I THINK they've made the update to the rewards system permanent, at least that's how it read in the WIR. For December it was 1,000,000 per rewards tier. Level up rewards also apparently extend all the way up to level 999 now but they are capped at 31,500/level (if you're a VIP). There also aren't any 20,000,000 cars like in 4, the most expensive it gets is 6,000,000 and only 2 cars cost that much. The next most expensive is 4,300,000 I think. BUT no more free upgrades, between swapping parts in and out and fiddling around with cars creating a single tune can cost a good 60,000. If you want to start swapping engines, drive-trains and aspiration expect to pay closer to 100,000 for a tune.

3. Everyone hate AD but I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. I like it better than any Silverstone or Hockenheim layout in existence....but not by much. Prague is beautiful and fun but no replacement for Maple Valley. Bathhurst is great and made me realize that Blue Mountain from the first game was almost an exact facsimile. Spa is solid but I get echoes of Le Mans. New test track is OK I guess.

4. Yes, just don't try and create more than 200 Vinyls, you are limited to 200 of any file type (tunes, vinyls, paints-jobs).

Other feedback: Community features have been absolutely gutted to the point where it doesn't feel like there's a community at all, it's shocking. It starts with the absence of clubs which and all the cool poo poo associated with them like the common garage, the ability to send out group invited to easily get a lobby going, rivals sucks because who the gently caress are these strangers I'm racing against and why do I care about their times? A lot of these changes were transparent money grabs, a subject I might revisit in a little more detail later. Others are stupidly arbitrary like the limit to the number of liverys, tunes, etc. and made worse since file management was taken out of the users hand. I can't just transfer them to a USB stick. The menus are a disaster, the worst in the series by a long shot, stunningly counter-intuitive. Forzavista is sort of a mish-mash between the Vista of 4 and the homespace but not really in a good way since you can't fully explode most cars and you can't change your homespace.

I think that covers the major things if you have any more questions, ask away.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

General Probe posted:

Others are stupidly arbitrary like the limit to the number of liverys, tunes, etc. and made worse since file management was taken out of the users hand.

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that they did this to cut down on hardlocks. The more tunes and designs you have in Forza 4, the more often you hardlock; I confirmed this a while ago by starting a new game with another account where I had no vinyls or tunes at all, and raced online for hours and hours without hardlocking even once. Of course, this causing hardlocks in the first place is dumb as all hell and it's a kinda half-assed way to prevent them, but it makes more sense at least.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cubey.gif

Basticle fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 8, 2013

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

Cannot Find Server posted:

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that they did this to cut down on hardlocks. The more tunes and designs you have in Forza 4, the more often you hardlock; I confirmed this a while ago by starting a new game with another account where I had no vinyls or tunes at all, and raced online for hours and hours without hardlocking even once. Of course, this causing hardlocks in the first place is dumb as all hell and it's a kinda half-assed way to prevent them, but it makes more sense at least.

Fair enough, but shouldn't these things have been solved by being, you know... next gen?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Someone on the forzamotorsport forums said something about that, so I deleted all my tunes and paints. I still had the problem with hardlocking. So I don't know if it's true, or if you just had good luck when you made a new profile, or what. But being limited to 200 tunes/paints is ridiculous.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
I should clarify it's 200 of each just so there's no confusion. I had all feasible tuning combinations for all 550 cars as well as 1 livery for each car in Forza 4 and I didn't ever have a hardlocking problem.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Someone on the forzamotorsport forums said something about that, so I deleted all my tunes and paints. I still had the problem with hardlocking. So I don't know if it's true, or if you just had good luck when you made a new profile, or what. But being limited to 200 tunes/paints is ridiculous.

Hmm, I dunno then. Did you clear your cache as well?

Also I've done hot laps all the way up through C class and started on B today. Positano continues to be the most frustrating track to try and run fast laps on and I now actively hate that shithole.

e: I've also realized that I am inexplicably poo poo at every Alps track.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 9, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So how much interest is there in getting some kind of weekly or bi-weekly racing going again? We didn't get as many eurogoons last Saturday as I had hoped, so if you guys want to get together and do some racing but that time and day didn't work, feel free to suggest another day and time. I'm still playing this game lots, but racing against pubbies can get tiring after the 5th straight race you get knocked out of, and racing the leaderboards takes a lot of effort and patience and can be seriously demoralizing sometimes.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
I'm in for some semi serious stuff, being a Eurogoon I'll try and fit in with everyone regarding times but no 3am stuff though. :)

We had some good bi / tri weekly events going on with SAEG and it would be good to keep them going as it was a great laugh and has produced some great racing along with some epic crashes... BREEEEEEET! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkWBqMg0FwY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El9qEydJcr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYOyfC86olE

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

We did 4 laps at Sonoma in R2 earlier. On the 4th lap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo_h238QYDs

What the hell is wrong with me :sweatdrop:

e: holy poo poo Panda, you were not kidding about d-pad steering. I almost wish I didn't know about it now because my god it's overpowered as gently caress. It only took me 4 laps of Catalunya in C class to adapt to it, and the only downside is that if you should get sideways, trying to correct it sends you off track immediately. Other than that, this is insane. Even more so with sim steering off.

Are you talking about the there-since-forza-2 cheat where the game automatically drives corners for you when you use the D pad to steer?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Are you talking about the there-since-forza-2 cheat where the game automatically drives corners for you when you use the D pad to steer?

I never tried it at all until now so I'm unclear as to how it might differ from Forza 2, but in 4, using the d-pad prevents oversteer a whole shitton. I can dive into corners a lot more aggressively without losing the back end. It's barely any faster in the lower classes, but even in C class, it allows a lot more room for error and punishes gently caress-ups a whole lot less. I am using it for certain corners even now in B class, and I can totally see how advantageous it will be in S and above, especially when using cars like the Hennessey.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I think they've toned it down since 2 but the element remains the same - basically, the game has to make a judgement on your input and determine whether your pushing the D pad down 1 mm meant you wanted a gradual turn (whereas pushing it down 1.2mm means you want full lock) and then interprets that to best make the driving experience work for every input style.

It was hilariously overpowered in 2, and I only noticed it by watching some of the top lappers telemetry, but it was definitely used to game the system then. You could literally just push the D pad in the direction you wanted to turn (timing was critical, though) and the game would make the turn like you were on rails with no oversteer/tank slapping.

One other thing I really miss from 2 - if you quickly downshifted as far down as you could go (1) and then got bumped without applying the gas or brake, you would force cars into neutral and then could push them around with faster cars (or roll down hills backwards at high speeds, etc.)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I've been getting frustrated on some tracks trying to set leaderboard times. And then a minute ago, I set a top 200 time at a track with almost 750,000 users on the leaderboard and all the frustration feels worth it now :unsmith:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Typical GBS posted:

I'm in for some semi serious stuff, being a Eurogoon I'll try and fit in with everyone regarding times but no 3am stuff though. :)

We had some good bi / tri weekly events going on with SAEG and it would be good to keep them going as it was a great laugh and has produced some great racing along with some epic crashes... BREEEEEEET! :argh:

Wow that AWD spec was sure, something........ I was a bit bummed when I missed it but that was some carnage. Although 99% of the time our races round the ring were usualy won by the person to survive the first braking zone.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

bald and fail II posted:

...the person to survive the first braking zone.

W-w-w-welcome to Forza F-f-f-five! :rice:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
GTCC is dice racing in 90 minutes. Dust off all your cars.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

burtonos posted:

GTCC is dice racing in 90 minutes. Dust off all your cars.
I've been training a new employee at work so I'm actually already home. You have my Pacer. See you online.

poo poo, these cars are FILTHY.

Holy poo poo, mice have infested my V8 Vantage! British mice in tweed jackets with briar pipes!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 12, 2013

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Typical GBS posted:

I loved that AWD event, had some of the best and worst racing ever. My poor little Audi just couldn't cope with the chaos of Nurbergring.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

bald and fail II posted:

Wow that AWD spec was sure, something........ I was a bit bummed when I missed it but that was some carnage. Although 99% of the time our races round the ring were usualy won by the person to survive the first braking zone.

That clusterfuck on the ring was mostly Luminaflare and me, he span me out a couple of times during other races and i wanted to get some revenge. Turns out that being accurate and precise in a hella heavy bentley isn't that do-able.(That rainbow wagon in the murderbentley.)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ugh, loving system update

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Reminder that I'll have a lobby up tomorrow at 12pm GMT. No real plan for classes or tracks, just wanna drive some cars fast.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Reminder that I'll have a lobby up tomorrow at 12pm GMT. No real plan for classes or tracks, just wanna drive some cars fast.

So no stupid f class racing, right?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zinjnok posted:

Trying (and failing) to set a top 1000 time on Positano for about three hours kinda ruined F class for me, not gonna lie.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zinjnok posted:

I know they say opinions can't be true or false, but...

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I know they say opinions can't be true or false, but...

I know. 100% true. Thank you for pointing that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zinjnok posted:

I know. 100% true. Thank you for pointing that out.

Stock Pintos at dawn, you.

• Locked thread