Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, I'm up to cerulium and haven't seen an armor upgrade since titanium, what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I saw a euphoric atheist snowman on a snow world, but when I pulled his hat off he just became snowballs. What a dick.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, I'm up to cerulium and haven't seen an armor upgrade since titanium, what gives?

At the Robotic Work-bench or whatever it's called, you can craft a Durasteel Tech Upgrade out of Durasteel bars. This will let you use Aigisalt, and make an Aigisalt Tech Upgrade, etc etc.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

MisterFuzzles posted:

You can get reallllllly far up into space before hitting the ceiling. Didn't see anything special though.

World height and asteroid height seems to be related to the physical size of the planet. On small planets I've been able to get to asteroid level in seconds and I can usually find one about halfway through my heat bar, on bigger ones it takes me ages just to get to the outer atmosphere and unable to find asteroids before I would have frozen to death.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

crowfeathers posted:

At the Robotic Work-bench or whatever it's called, you can craft a Durasteel Tech Upgrade out of Durasteel bars. This will let you use Aigisalt, and make an Aigisalt Tech Upgrade, etc etc.

Yes, I've made those and they don't let me make anything but weapons and misc placeable items like lights and consoles.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Yes, I've made those and they don't let me make anything but weapons and misc placeable items like lights and consoles.

Once you hit the tiers after Titanium/Platinum you craft everything on the workbench instead of the metalworking station

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Reason posted:

Did they release the character wipe patch already? Or are you talking about the patch released on thursday?

They haven't disappeared, I just crash every time I try to access them.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I came across a huge stone beak, which ended up being the entrance to an Avian catacombs. Inside were (I guess?) Avian mummies and skeleton birds. Also lots and lots of saw traps, which I'm cloning to make a horrible Super Meat Boy shenanigans labyrinth. I looted literally everything in it except the walls and made out like a bandit with gold and platinum bars, and pixels. I was hoping for a tech at the end, but nothing. Still, it was a really nice dungeon, and sufficiently creepy because it was night; I had to use a flashlight/weapon combo. I actually ended up falling into one of the pit saw traps because of the lack of light.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 7, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Whoever decided the implement the left/right hand system in this game, you succeeded in confusing me because now I cannot figure out how to switch bandages to my left hand.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So, I got bored on one of the goon servers and did something.

Thanks to everyone who filled it up with furniture. And wow, that lag produced by all of those npcs was something.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Bleugh, really not a fan of only being able to use one tech at a time. I want to dash AND double jump dag nabbit :(

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I have a new dedicated server up on a pretty powerful machine I'd like to share with you. It will be up for at least the next month, with hopefully little interruption:

== Down for maintenance ==

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 8, 2013

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

InfinityComplex posted:

So, I got bored on one of the goon servers and did something.

Thanks to everyone who filled it up with furniture. And wow, that lag produced by all of those npcs was something.

the power of SCIENCE!!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zeether posted:

Whoever decided the implement the left/right hand system in this game, you succeeded in confusing me because now I cannot figure out how to switch bandages to my left hand.

use the shift key

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kaedric posted:

Bleugh, really not a fan of only being able to use one tech at a time. I want to dash AND double jump dag nabbit :(

Yeah I'm not a fan of this limitation either. Isn't only having 4 techs enough of one, if there's supposed to be so many.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Apparently, using those L and R things in the middle, you can dual wield.

It's Warhammer 40K ALL THE TIME NOW! :orks101:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

For such a technological place, they do have some leak problems. Yes, there's the whole pyramid entrance above.

Also I wonder what's the deal with those purple Glitches.
Edit:oops tables

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 8, 2013

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

The nighttime ambiance is amazing on my starter planet, now if only I could find some fuel.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lemon King posted:

now if only I could find some fuel.
Those trees look OK

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lemon King posted:

The nighttime ambiance is amazing on my starter planet, now if only I could find some fuel.

Wood burning starships, coal burning starships, when will this profligate use of carbon end?

Edit: What the guy above me said, chop down tree, feed into starship.

Getawhale
Jan 10, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I came across a huge stone beak, which ended up being the entrance to an Avian catacombs.

Wait until you go there with a fellow Avian player who can "Inspect" everything and tell you about the meaning of all the artifacts..

Honestly do this

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Unlike Terraria, which had an extreme focus on building, and only a light focus on exploration/finding stuff

I REALLY disliked Minecraft, and was never able to get past the Copper/Steel age of Terraria due to boredom.

Terraria had a tremendous focus on exploring, building in Terraria and Starbound are pretty much identical in that it is as significant as you want it to be, outside of building those few things that are required to go up a tier in craftable equipment. If you got bored at the copper/iron stage(which is pretty much the very start of the game) then it seems like you dropped the game way too early to say what it had any sort of focus on.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of this limitation either. Isn't only having 4 techs enough of one, if there's supposed to be so many.

Maybe they'll let us use more than one at a time later on, I imagine it might have something to do with some of them having the same activation method. Or maybe they just think it'll make player characters too powerful.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~
Man they weren't kidding about this game being extremely easy to mod. I can't wait for the full release.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I went to a moon planet and found a Medic Spawner in a chest so I put it on my ship and it spawned my own personal med supply seller:

I showed a friend of mine and that friend very promptly splattered the medic with a hammer. :(

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Anyone wanna do some MP? Just started a new character to gently caress around this weekend until the patch hits. Hit me up in the Steam group chat, PartyAlarm

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Is there a way to change your spawn point on a planet? I just murdered a castleful of Glitches and I want to set my spawn point there to cement my conquest.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Reiley posted:

I went to a moon planet and found a Medic Spawner in a chest so I put it on my ship and it spawned my own personal med supply seller:

I showed a friend of mine and that friend very promptly splattered the medic with a hammer. :(

That's alright, because those prices are just appalling. 100 pixels for a bandage, are you kidding me? Maybe 10 wouldn't be a ripoff. Maybe.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Getawhale posted:

Wait until you go there with a fellow Avian player who can "Inspect" everything and tell you about the meaning of all the artifacts..

Honestly do this

The Avian stuff can get pretty :stare:

This is also the only Avian tower I've found so far.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's alright, because those prices are just appalling. 100 pixels for a bandage, are you kidding me? Maybe 10 wouldn't be a ripoff. Maybe.

Having ready access to red stimpaks was a godsend but lo, it was never meant to be.....

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Is there a way to change your spawn point on a planet? I just murdered a castleful of Glitches and I want to set my spawn point there to cement my conquest.

The devs have promised that it will be in the final product, but for now, you're having to beam down in the direct middle of the planet.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Kimsemus posted:

I have a new dedicated server up on a pretty powerful machine I'd like to share with you. It will be up for at least the next month, with hopefully little interruption:

IP: 98.251.113.217

I'll jump in after the big patch hits!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Who wants to fart rainbow butterflies?

99240383 60347657 Beta Nu Per Majoris IIIa, lvl 14 forest, Apex lab to the left.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Bandages regen you to half of your heatlh, red stims regen you to full.
Also what's wrong with you if you can't make your own bandages. It's easy to get the materials for them. Also completely outclassed by burgers and cooked food.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Am I missing something about armor progression? Level 25 armor takes platinum, which only seems to exist in chests on planets up to level 30. There's no way I'll get enough to make a full set. I'm currently one shotting monsters on level 30 planets that also one shot me, and I have a buttload of titanium with no apparent use.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
armour and weapon progression is completely borked and is gonna be overhauled next patch. That's why.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Where is a good place to score some lvl 5 guns? Not necessarily a single location, but what am I looking for? Pirates? Vendors?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

a slime posted:

Am I missing something about armor progression? Level 25 armor takes platinum, which only seems to exist in chests on planets up to level 30. There's no way I'll get enough to make a full set. I'm currently one shotting monsters on level 30 planets that also one shot me, and I have a buttload of titanium with no apparent use.

You might as well get used to armor being useless. Even the very best armor is only level 36 so you get oneshotted by everything on high level planets.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a slime posted:

Armor / Weapons progression is just broken and is getting completely revamped in the next update.

I'm in T2 right now with lv15 armor (maximum available) and a lv23 weapon. If I stay on lv14-16 planets the enemies do reasonable damage to me but I one-shot them. If I go up to a higher level planet then I still do decent damage because my weapon is good but I get one-shot by everything.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kimsemus posted:

== Down for maintenance ==

This is amusing.

Anyway, here's a mod to change your ship into a space station, if you guys want it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gknlykg4z6y22if/Derelict+Space+Station+Mod-3.rar

Plenty of room for whatever you need, decorate it yourself, you can place blocks on the background. Does not come with furniture. You will fall to your death repeatedly putting up platforms. Compatible with multiplayer; invite your friends. See included readme for installation instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A shrubbery! posted:

How I like to play is, if your inventory is getting full, you've adventured enough and it's time to either use what you've found to build something, or trash it because it's worthless.
Yeah, this is about what I thought. Unless you're a total packrat saving up for some huge imagined project with all your multicolored resources (like me) or you don't need four thousand dirt and you can just take five seconds to dump all the blue/red/purple/orange dirt you don't need. Or you can turn any color of dirt, sand, and stone into packed dirt, glass/windows, and bricks that'll all stack together with any other variety and look better for building anyway.

• Locked thread