Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rorus Raz posted:

Their VGX thing: a new character in Donkey Kong :haw:

It was so bad that even the hosts were like "So...do you have anything more than this? People might be mad."

"So, how 'bout that football, Reggie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo at E3 2014: "What new titles? We have a Smash Bros coming out soon. What more do you want? See you next year!"

Nintendo at E3 2015: "Didn't you like Smash Bros? What's the complaining for? See you next year."

thats some nice hyperbole

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pixeltendo posted:

thats some nice hyperbole
Thanks! When's Nintendo planning on telling us what they have in the works other than Mario Kart and Smash Bros (which isn't even them but Namco)? Or will they eventually adopt the Sega Saturn marketing model of "We have a new game AND ITS OUT TODAY!!!"

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Box of Bunnies posted:

"So, how 'bout that football, Reggie?

Reggie only knows what he is previously programmed to know.

Before video games, it was pizza.

In an alternate universe instead of Scott and Dominos we would have had Reggie and Pizza Hut announce a partnership with Miku.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thanks! When's Nintendo planning on telling us what they have in the works other than Mario Kart and Smash Bros (which isn't even them but Namco)? Or will they eventually adopt the Sega Saturn marketing model of "We have a new game AND ITS OUT TODAY!!!"

well first off you seem to be ignoring a bunch of other big titles like X, Yarn Yoshi and that SMT x Fire emblem title, and secondly who says they won't reveal other titles at E3 for 2014?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's wearing an 8-bit metroid pin. :smith:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nintendo has so much stuff coming up they only literally delayed Donkey Kong a quarter of a year to plug the q1 Wii U schedule

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alteisen posted:

He's wearing an 8-bit metroid pin. :smith:

Now Metroid fans get to share the same pain Majora's Mask fans have felt in the past twelve months with a Year of Teasing ritual.

Which isn't really fair since Majora's Mask fans got two Zelda games this year intertwined with all the teasing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pixeltendo posted:

well first off you seem to be ignoring a bunch of other big titles like X, Yarn Yoshi and that SMT x Fire emblem title, and secondly who says they won't reveal other titles at E3 for 2014?

X doesn't even have a loving title yet!

As for who says they won't reveal something at E3, the fact that they won't loving be there. Again.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fulchrum posted:

As for who says they won't reveal something at E3, the fact that they won't loving be there. Again.

They were there last year.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

X doesn't even have a loving title yet!

They were there, they just didn't have a live conference.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They were there last year.

I thought they did that cutesy Best Buy E3 thingy. I mean, my understanding was they weren't REALLY there.

edit: wait, you mean 2012. My Reading comprehension good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

I thought they did that cutesy Best Buy E3 thingy. I mean, my understanding was they weren't REALLY there.

edit: wait, you mean 2012. My Reading comprehension good.

No, they were there last year too. The big difference was that they didn't do a live presentation, they just showed a pre-record, but all the key personnel were there and ended up doing their own weird quasi-presentation thing the day after, so it made no appreciable difference.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Yeah they were there this past June, they even shot Miyamoto out of a barrel.

One big thing journalists there attending really complained about was at the end of a basic overview thing with Nintendo before the expo opened they said they had one more surprise for them to report on and it was the Wii Fit Trainer reveal.

And they were piiiiiissed.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wii Fit Trainer in Smash is the best thing Nintendo have done all year.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Box of Bunnies posted:

Wii Fit Trainer in Smash is the best thing Nintendo have done all year.

This is true, and I hope everyone realizes how loving sad this is.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

Nintendo has so much stuff coming up they only literally delayed Donkey Kong a quarter of a year to plug the q1 Wii U schedule
Delaying DKC was a smart move. Look at how Mario World is doing, and then have Donkey Kong try competing for those scraps.

It's wiser to release it when there's a big hole in the schedule. The problem is that, for Nintendo, that hole is "2014"

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Fulchrum posted:

What's more sad for you, this or it getting a retweet by the official Nintendo twitter?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Are you seriously upset over a silly parody?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fulchrum posted:

All they did last year was replace the big press conference with a Nintendo Direct. Other than that there was no difference.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alteisen posted:

Are you seriously upset over a silly parody?

What? No I like it.

I wanted to know he was on the Wii Fit Trainer Hype Train or not.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Wii Fit Trainer is hilarious what is wrong with you people

Fulchrum posted:

I am loving sad and loving crying. loving

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the biggest selling points for the Wii U is the gamepad. What are some of the neat features you can use it for in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze?

Well you see, you can play the game on the gamepad while your spouse is watching tv...You can also use the wii u pro controller, as well as the nunchuck and wiimote.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bef posted:

One of the biggest selling points for the Wii U is the gamepad. What are some of the neat features you can use it for in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze?

Well you see, you can play the game on the gamepad while your spouse is watching tv...You can also use the wii u pro controller, as well as the nunchuck and wiimote.

You say this like it is a bad thing. Not every game has to use every feature.

That said, while watching college football yesterday I did see the Wii U advertised pretty heavily! By Disney, of course, in conjunction with DI. They also touted either the game pad or the off screen play, I forget which. It was odd for them to be pushing non-Infinity related features I thought so I wonder if Nintendo chipped in for that spot.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cliff Racer posted:

You say this like it is a bad thing. Not every game has to use every feature.

That said, while watching college football yesterday I did see the Wii U advertised pretty heavily! By Disney, of course, in conjunction with DI. They also touted either the game pad or the off screen play, I forget which. It was odd for them to be pushing non-Infinity related features I thought so I wonder if Nintendo chipped in for that spot.

Because it sounds like a waste of money. If I want a WII U and DK:TF why do I have to buy a mandatory $100+ tablet when there's no incentive to it besides offscreen play? If I could use the same Wiimote + nunchuck I used for my wii why shouldn't I have the option to purchase the Wii U for $200?

If you're not making the prime feature of your console useful for one of your major first party titles, you have a problem (although that's pretty obvious at this point).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

bef posted:

Because it sounds like a waste of money. If I want a WII U and DK:TF why do I have to buy a mandatory $100+ tablet when there's no incentive to it besides offscreen play?

For goons, being able to play Nintendo games while they take a poo poo IS a major incentive...

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaurusOxford posted:

For goons, being able to play Nintendo games while they take a poo poo IS a major incentive...

Out of curiosity, whats the maximum distance you can play the Wii U on the gamepad?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
About eight meters is the maximum distance, which will of course vary depending on the way your house is built.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
You know drat good and well DKC:TF is going to have something stupid and jarring like having to tap the gamepad to open a door, or some boring minigame or something else. It's going to goddamn happen, because Nintendo ain't going to let this albatross of a peripheral go unused. It's every bit as bad as Wiimote waggle and pointing.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo's next big REVOLUTIONARY device is going to be a Kinect-like camera, and all games are going to be required to use it and you're going to have to make idiot Mario noises to play a game. Scream "IT'S A ME" to start the game. Do the Mario to select your character. Awkwardly point towards a coin to pick it up. Fart to post to the MiiVerse.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bef posted:

Because it sounds like a waste of money.

Then every system since around the SNES's time has been a waste of money because not every game uses every button. Its unbelievable that you actually want them to tack stupid poo poo on just so that you'd feel justified in paying for the controller when doing so would only make the game worse. Not every game needs a tablet just like not every game needs motion controls or shoulder buttons or what have you.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cliff Racer posted:

Then every system since around the SNES's time has been a waste of money because not every game uses every button.

Yeah but

Cost of a button: a few cents
Cost of the gamepad: about $100

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Do the Mario to select your character.

I would get any game system that asks me to do the Mario.
Do the Mario erry day.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Got directed here from the general discussion thread, so I guess I'll just repost what I had there:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, so I don't know if that would make me an "outsider", but to me it seems that Nintendo's attitude is more that they're banking on the history and strength of their first party franchises, and expect Mario, Zelda, etc to sell their consoles; Not that they're inept at marketing. They exude a holier-than-thou attitude that they don't NEED to market, and that their poo poo is strong enough as it is. Also, you can't discredit the fact that Nintendo's consoles have always leaned more towards being youth-friendly, so they probably feel they don't need to market that hard towards the "core gamer," which is now the 18-34yo range.

It really just ties into their business practices all the way back to the NES. They basically are trying to be Sony-lite; requiring their consoles to use proprietary poo poo, then charging companies a buttload to use that proprietary poo poo. The problem is, their poo poo doesn't catch on like VHS & Blu-ray did. Look at how long it took them to abandon cartridges, and even then the CD format they used for the Gamecube was proprietary. They think whatever they do is best, they can do no wrong, and anyone that thinks differently can piss off. I know most companies have a fairly similar attitude, but even the most staunchly stubborn company will adapt when needed, such as Microsoft using Blu-ray for the XBone drive.

Also, to go back to the youth oriented bit, DKC not having any real gamepad function other than being able to play it remotely is actually a huge plus. I don't know the number of times my kids wanted to play something on the 360 when I wanted to watch TV (or the wife wanted to watch something, and I wanted to play). It's one of the contributing factors of me finally getting a Wii U this Christmas for the family (that and Wind Waker HD!).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Orgophlax posted:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, so I don't know if that would make me an "outsider", but to me it seems that Nintendo's attitude is more that they're banking on the history and strength of their first party franchises, and expect Mario, Zelda, etc to sell their consoles; Not that they're inept at marketing.
This was the case with N64 and GameCube and the original fat DS, but then they were awed at an entire year of Wii demand exceeding supply and "the Wii Sports audience" of normal, somewhat technology-phobic people they had attracted. Since then, they've spent E3 saying "it's about the core gamer" and showing off anything with guns and aliens that they have, but their actual messaging in the public channels has been very mixed.

Wii U has been exceptional in this regard, as it's debut at E3 focused heavily on the tablet with the console unit itself featuring mostly in the distant background of some promotional images. All the post-show recap shows were confused at what they had just seen and when Reggie dropped by G4 minutes afterward Adam Sessler actually had to ask him if the Wii U was just a controller accessory for the Wii or what exactly.

quote:

They exude a holier-than-thou attitude that they don't NEED to market, and that their poo poo is strong enough as it is.
This is somewhat exemplified by their attitude that they never need to lower the price on first-party games, even ones two or three years old, because "people will still buy them at that price." Of course, people who bought their system will because otherwise the expensive toy will just go unused; but that same consumer may next time decide that Nintendo hardware isn't worth buying unless you're willing to be put over a barrel on hardware. If Nintendo had a big third-party library they could get away with selling first-party games at day one prices for years, but given that the market and Nintendo themselves understand that you buy a Nintendo machine just for Nintendo games and very little else, it's really just exploiting an audience that's somewhat captive until this generation came along and gave them a chance to leave.

I have no idea if that's part of the thinking behind what seems to be some recent sales lately involving Pokemon and Zelda on 3DS, or if those are just retailers taking a loss for attention, but anyway, there they are.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 8, 2013

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Craptacular! posted:

This is somewhat exemplified by their attitude that they never need to lower the price on first-party games, even ones two or three years old, because "people will still buy them at that price." Of course, people who bought their system will because otherwise the expensive toy will just go unused; but that same consumer may next time decide that Nintendo hardware isn't worth buying unless you're willing to be put over a barrel on hardware.

I know I would have bought many more both Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS games if they had been cheaper. I'm constantly on the lookout for sales, because I know that poo poo isn't going to drop.

I wish Nintendo would do something like Sony's Platinum or Microsofts Classic range. Didn't they do that briefly for the Gamecube?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Pixeltendo posted:

Those are "big titles", huh? If so, the Wii U is absolutely hosed even more than I thought it was.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

You know drat good and well DKC:TF is going to have something stupid and jarring like having to tap the gamepad to open a door, or some boring minigame or something else. It's going to goddamn happen, because Nintendo ain't going to let this albatross of a peripheral go unused. It's every bit as bad as Wiimote waggle and pointing.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo's next big REVOLUTIONARY device is going to be a Kinect-like camera, and all games are going to be required to use it and you're going to have to make idiot Mario noises to play a game. Scream "IT'S A ME" to start the game. Do the Mario to select your character. Awkwardly point towards a coin to pick it up. Fart to post to the MiiVerse.

It' astonishing how bitter you are about the gamepad. Sell your WiiU and move on with life if having to blow at your gamepad in like one level of Mario really hurt you so badly.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm struggling with the idea that SMTxFE is going to be a 'big title' anywhere outside of a hardcore of devotees on SA & similar forums. It's a crossover between two B-grade franchises, not Smash Brothers.

Maybe it'll be a big hit in Japan? Here it'll be closer to W101 than 3D World.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Peel posted:

I'm struggling with the idea that SMTxFE is going to be a 'big title' anywhere outside of a hardcore of devotees on SA & similar forums. It's a crossover between two B-grade franchises, not Smash Brothers.

Maybe it'll be a big hit in Japan? Here it'll be closer to W101 than 3D World.

It's probably going to do about the same as Persona 4 Arena did for it's respected system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ugh... I was playing 3D World yesterday and I got to the Ninja themed level that forced me to use the Gamepad. I thought that there must be something kind of cool about the level to require it, and all it made me do was slide doors open.

I actually wish all gamepad mandatory levels were gone from that game, because they really do add nothing to it.

• Locked thread