Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Also stuff like whether you put sugar in cornbread. It doesn't all have to be super serious.

Just gonna go slice my veins open in a bathtub, don't mind me folks. Keep up the whole "is it technically a game even though it depends on sympathy" conversation, I'm sure it'll go far.

Yo, I think it's a game. I think it's a game that people should play and like. I don't like it, because it asks me to care about things it doesn't quite prove. don't be so defensive when I'm not even attacking the game, Brahe.

New page: I can't draw and I can't sing, so I'll describe.
My first thought on entering the house was to find my bed and sleep until everyone relevant came back. And then I found a locked door, and I lost it. I spent at least 30m making sure every door was unlocked because we don't lock doors in this house.

Polyseme fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Polyseme posted:

I'm just going to...right, so: I think this is a bad game, but a step in the right direction. It is, by strict definition, a game: it has complex mechanics with which the player interacts (physical, mainly) and a series of easily enumerable, completable goals (opening doors, reading notes, etc.). It is, however, excessively dependent upon sympathy.

I am, as far as I can tell, in the intended demographic (working, vaguely modern pc). That said, after 2 mildly-different play-throughs, I felt as if the game relied too much on the audience sympathizing with their (in-game) sister and her plight. I did not, and found the game therefore somewhat boring.

I am a queer man in the Southern US who was vaguely a teenager in the '90s. I do not dispute the good the game does by making the main character - Sam - female, nor the usefulness of having her being homosexual, at least for this story.

Instead, I question its adoption of video games as the correct medium. It is, here, novel, but reserves far too many relics of the designers' past experience creating standard FPS' (my preferred grouping, of course).

I am compelled to do everything I can, as per the game's explicit constraints, in my first play-through, because surely they would make a coherent argument no matter what you did outside of the basic necessities? Thus, I collected everything but the extra journal entry on my first play-through. I did my best to find out everything about everyone, unlock everything the game presented as locked, and know everything there was to know by the time I hit the end.

That said, I didn't much care for any characters presented, because I was never presented with a reason in game to care. Yes, were these people living near me, I might care, but they aren't, and everything interesting has already happened. Thus, I simply awaited confirmation of things I'd predicted: I'll admit, I was hoping the parents had split. I only collected all of Sam's entries because I could, and the game expected it not because it mattered to me.

I am, however, interested in further games like this one, preferably with better in-game reasons to do what I'm doing. Because when I get home, and my younger siblings have written me a run-away note and nobody else is home, I just got to sleep. That's not convincing.

edit:woo, that was long. I really like my keyboard, y'all.

I agree it isn't necessarily a super great game even though I really like it and that you don't really care about the other characters. However, the thing that really sucked me in was the voice acting was really good. Sam's voice work is what really sucked me in and made me excited to keep going.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

It's not really anything innovative though.

What I think is innovative here is that they took the object/archaeologist storytelling mechanic (from the Shock games mostly) and relied on it far more heavily than to just move the plot. Instead of picking up audio logs and having things explained to you, there are also multiple items which you have to figure out the meaning of without any assistance from the game. Sam's plot is spelled out in narrative but Oscar's plot flies right by most gamers (I missed it the first time) because it's pretty subtle. I'm not aware of any other game that has done this.

Probably the big game/notgame divide comes from whether you regard this core mechanic as gameplay or not.

Polyseme posted:

I'm just going to...right, so: I think this is a bad game, but a step in the right direction. It is, by strict definition, a game: it has complex mechanics with which the player interacts (physical, mainly) and a series of easily enumerable, completable goals (opening doors, reading notes, etc.). It is, however, excessively dependent upon sympathy.

This too. A game that relies on emotional connection is automatically shutting out a portion of the market just because it doesn't grip them or they're not interested.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 5, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Contextual story telling isn't a new or innovative thing, though. Gone Home relies on it far more than other games but that doesn't mean it's an original approach to story telling. The Souls' series of games, as well as the latter Fallouts, spring to mind as there's a lot which goes unsaid or isn't buried within a text dump.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Well I think it feels more personal somehow than something like Fallout, maybe that has something to do with the mundane nature of the narrative, it's sort of hard to put into words for me. I think it certainly makes it easier to identify with on a personal level, hence the personal and emotional nature of the game (which also explains why if somebody doesn't really identify with the characters, they won't really get the same level of emotional weight and thus the game would likely end up just being a mildly boring romp through a house for them). I can't really comment on the Souls series but I was under the impression that the story wasn't actually that important to the game (also don't those games also get praise for the way the story is told/implied?).

At any rate I'm not sure if it can be called "innovative" because I don't really know how to suss out whether something is truly innovative or what have you but at any rate the way it's used certainly adds to the enjoyment of the game for many people. Also I think that the fact that the game as a whole is something very different is generally good to see, obviously being different doesn't necessarily make a game good but it's nice to see people getting into experimental territory if only to see what other places the medium can go.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lilli posted:

A lot of stuff.

Thanks for clarifying some of the stuff. I'm not from the US since you asked. I just couldn't wrap my head around why criticizing the gameplay would lead to sexism and marginalization and things. I mean if I did it at any other game, which I have very often, no one would care at all. In this case I got yelled at a lot and I couldn't understand why at all. I kind of get the reasoning now I guess even if I can't quite agree with it, but in the end I don't have to buy these interactive media things and making a lot of noise about it is totally pointless.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Oh hey, over 100 new posts in the Gone Home thread, maybe the developers released something new and interesting I think to myself.
Nope, just the same loving argument still going on about whether it's a game :suicide:

You know what would be really great? If we could agree to disagree. Wouldn't that be nice?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think we should all just talk about the JAZZ mug.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think we should all just talk about the JAZZ mug.

Or about how Jillian Anderson was really good looking in the mid 90's, can the thread at least agree on that?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feeble posted:

Or about how Jillian Anderson was really good looking in the mid 90's, can the thread at least agree on that?

It's Gillian you piece of poo poo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DrNutt posted:

It's Gillian you piece of poo poo.

Gillian isn't a real name. Names like that are an affront to the very idea of naming.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

Gillian isn't a real name. Names like that are an affront to the very idea of naming.

The Sipper would probably agree with you

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Crappy Jack posted:

Gillian is a great moniker but I don't think it fits the definition of a name. I'm not saying parents shouldn't call their kids "Gillian," I just think they shouldn't put it on the section of the birth certificate marked "name" and if someone asks you what her name is, Gillian definitely isn't an acceptable answer. I don't see why people would get worked up about this either: it's just a word, and even if I don't think Gillian is a name this doesn't mean I'm saying anything mean about Gillian.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gillian is a great moniker but I don't think it fits the definition of a name. I'm not saying parents shouldn't call their kids "Gillian," I just think they shouldn't put it on the section of the birth certificate marked "name" and if someone asks you what her name is, Gillian definitely isn't an acceptable answer. I don't see why people would get worked up about this either: it's just a word, and even if I don't think Gillian is a name this doesn't mean I'm saying anything mean about Gillian.

People who dislike the name Gillian are part of an international conspiracy to kill all babies. Way to go.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nurge posted:

People who dislike the name Gillian are part of an international conspiracy to kill all babies. Way to go.
We're not talking about people who dislike 'Gillian' - we all agree it's good, whatever it is. We don't dislike it. Crappy Jack and I are just arguing that it's not technically a name. It's a moniker, sure, and people might call her Gillian, but it's good to get clear about this sort of stuff lest we start treating any non-names as if they're names.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I think this thread needs to go home and visit its family for a little while.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gone Home just won "Best Indie Game" at the Spike TV VGAs. I don't know how I feel about this.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It feels great that first person exploration sims where you pick up useless objects are coming in vogue because those are legit my favorite games.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
To establish a basis for a response, is your uncertainty toward the Spike TV part, the best part, or the game part?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

Gone Home just won "Best Indie Game" at the Spike TV VGAs. I don't know how I feel about this.

It was short so enough judges bothered to play it. Games journalism y'all

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zombies' Downfall posted:

To establish a basis for a response, is your uncertainty toward the Spike TV part, the best part, or the game part?

Spike TV. It's just a weird clash. I just imagine all the dudebros chugging mountain dew and getting super pumped about a subdued love story.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

the black husserl posted:

It feels great that first person exploration sims where you pick up useless objects are coming in vogue because those are legit my favorite games.
Oooo, have others started coming out? I seriously love this kind of thing too, and I'm looking forward to Gone Home inspired games to start hitting the market hopefully soon. I want it to create it's own specific sub-genre.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

the black husserl posted:

Elder Scrolls?! :v:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP-E9hWVQak

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

This too. A game that relies on emotional connection is automatically shutting out a portion of the market just because it doesn't grip them or they're not interested.

I think it's even more about the fact that if you don't care about the narrative and characters, this game has very little to offer you. But I don't see that as a failing, as the same can be said of books and (certain) movies, and there's an overwhelming amount of games out there that offer only action, and if that particular kind of action isn't interesting to you, you're similarly not going to be engaged at all.

I completely disagree with any implication that this was the wrong medium to tell the story in.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oooo, have others started coming out? I seriously love this kind of thing too, and I'm looking forward to Gone Home inspired games to start hitting the market hopefully soon. I want it to create it's own specific sub-genre.

There are a lot of very bad detective/horror games that have about as much mechanical challenge as gone home and a comparable amount of non-essential lore/background details to experience to piece out the narrative. The main difference is that their narratives are very, very bad, and a lot simpler.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 8, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The most Portland of all possible game developers.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Beautiful, all that's missing was a trip to Salt & Straw.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This might be time to revisit another classic Gone Home award show video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJyRZ-W_ok

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I thought there wasn't a better reason to hate the game than lack of gameplay, but those videos pretty much seal the company right up there with brad wardell. Amazing.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

I thought there wasn't a better reason to hate the game than lack of gameplay, but those videos pretty much seal the company right up there with brad wardell. Amazing.

Christ, just gently caress off already. Workplace sexual harassment is nothing like this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maybe ignore him rather than throw a poo poo fit every time he posts.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Before this thread was closed, this is actually close to the point I wanted to make. I think what we're arguing here in whether it's-a-game or not-a-game can really be summed up as such: this is the birth of a sub-genre of new video games.

Now, why all the vitriol from both sides? :iiam:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Let's not get the thread locked again.

On topic, how do the winners of the awards get chosen? Is it an audience vote or are there blocks of judges? The awards seem rather schizophrenic. Naughty Dog is the best company but GTA 5 was the best game except for on Xbox where it was the Two Brothers game.

I was somewhat impressed with what they had for the indie games though. Spike is... Spike, but they actually picked some decent indie games that collectively didn't feature a single zombie.

E. Oh hey, it also beat out BF4 for Best PC Game. Sorry :dice:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

DreamShipWrecked posted:

On topic, how do the winners of the awards get chosen? Is it an audience vote or are there blocks of judges?

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/69033335628/jeff-as-a-spike-tv-judge-do-you-have-any-input-on-the

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Osmosisch posted:

Christ, just gently caress off already. Workplace sexual harassment is nothing like this.

Relax, guy. There's no need for posts like this.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Nominated for IGN GOTY, and someone got a sick tat:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I nominate that tattoo for most elaborate but still terrible looking tattoo of the year.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILO-kzVEXj4

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is Adam Sessler's GOTY. To celebrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2E0cekEdvQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This game keeps freezing for me right at the beginning. Shows me the front door and wont let me move. Did anyone else have this problem. I am on Windows 7

• Locked thread