Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

lohli posted:

Terraria had a tremendous focus on exploring, building in Terraria and Starbound are pretty much identical in that it is as significant as you want it to be, outside of building those few things that are required to go up a tier in craftable equipment. If you got bored at the copper/iron stage(which is pretty much the very start of the game) then it seems like you dropped the game way too early to say what it had any sort of focus on.

Not really?

The first 30 minutes or so of Terraria is building basic equipment/checking surroundings. The next two hours or so is digging your way through the Underground layer to try and find the Caverns. At best during this part of the game you'll find some bombs/coins/shurikens in urns, but probably won't find many structures/QoL items. Eventually you'll hit the Caverns. At this point you better have had enough ore to build some armor/weapons, and even then without any of the QoL items of the Caverns, traversal will suck upfront.

It takes something like 3+ hours to even hit the point you can really start exploring, and even at it's best, exploration is almost entirely at the whim of how much you like building/digging.

In Starbound I was able to explore most of my planets surface within the first hour, had enough fuel to explore the galaxy, and had taken off with some basic armor by the hour thirty mark. From that point on, I spent most of my time wandering various planets stealing poo poo from people, and finding cool stuff like Apex labs, Glitch castles, and Avian tombs. Eventually I cared enough to start upgrading myself, and I quickly built a pickaxe/axe and cleared most of a hill in ~3 minutes. That same hill would have taken me 30+ minutes in Terraria.

They are almost entirely different games in that regard. I imagine near the end Terraria gets really cool to explore but gently caress getting to that point. And I'm not saying that's worse, I'm in the minority, most goons enjoyed the digging as evidenced by this thread/the Terraria thread. It just wasn't for me, and I felt it put digging/building above exploring/tinkering, while Starbound switches that focus around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I already rushed to the last tier, and since weapons don't really change at all (no cool new effects) I'm starting over with a fresh character. Going to be playing on the 420swag goon server in the PGS thread. Get in the CTS mumble if you'd like to join me

dxpong
Sep 19, 2004
10/6
Alpha Chi Lup 341 III -69148683 74894200 TL10 Forest

Lots of sand, easy to dig. Poison pools. Cell Materia.
Monkey Base to West - Pulse Jump

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I gotta say, I feel like some of my favorite things are just quality of life additions compared to terraria, I kinda hate making the comparison because starbound is just in a different league in terms of scope; but stuff like pressing ctrl to look around, and right clicking while placing blocks making backgrounds are just so nice compared to what you get used to in terraria.

Also butterfly boost is ridiculous when you have 6+ energy regen, by the time you get to 10 energy regen you can just hold down the boost continuously (also if you teleport while boosting with it you arrive on your ship in an explosion of butterflies :3:). I do like how the engergy regen on your gear gates how useful some tech is, that said, grav bubble really needs to consume more energy to be balanced for early game.

I think all I will miss from the reset will be my tech (really only bubble and butterflies), and my growing collection of instruments.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

How does the durasteel upgrade tech work? I've made it but i can't seem to use it nor is it giving me any blueprint unlocked warnings, I have the X sector unlocked.

Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to sell things to the merchants you find in villages and the like?

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

Cowstomper posted:

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to sell things to the merchants you find in villages and the like?

I don't think you can.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

BrainMeats posted:

I wouldn't mind if the hundreds of different dirt, sand, moondust, cobblestone, poo poo and obsidian blocks all got abstracted down into maybe a few levels of "construction materials" or something. Maybe digging up dirt and sand just increases your count of light matter. Then when you want to build a sick fortress the matter manipulator has a dropdown list with different materials you've learned. They clearly saw it as a problem already what with an entire second inventory for building supplies. After a dozen planets you've just got half stacks of cobblestone that all look nearly the same but don't fit together.

Goddamn, that is a beautiful idea. It'd be awesome if they did something elegant like that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

anuj posted:

Man they weren't kidding about this game being extremely easy to mod. I can't wait for the full release.
Not until you find the weapon stats, when virtually none of the stats work the way they're supposed to :suicide:

BrainMeats posted:

I wouldn't mind if the hundreds of different dirt, sand, moondust, cobblestone, poo poo and obsidian blocks all got abstracted down into maybe a few levels of "construction materials" or something. Maybe digging up dirt and sand just increases your count of light matter. Then when you want to build a sick fortress the matter manipulator has a dropdown list with different materials you've learned. They clearly saw it as a problem already what with an entire second inventory for building supplies. After a dozen planets you've just got half stacks of cobblestone that all look nearly the same but don't fit together.
Tiy really, really, has to read this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Where is a good place to score some lvl 5 guns? Not necessarily a single location, but what am I looking for? Pirates? Vendors?

For guns, at the moment you want to find some pirates, though they also can drop from mini boss mobs. Pirates sell guns at the level of the planet you find em on.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
If you have ten stacks of cobblestone or whatever that don't fit together, you can spend about about as many seconds making them all into one giant stack of packed earth/glass/stone bricks or throwing them away.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does the Rum Barrel do anything or is it just cosmetic?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BrainMeats posted:

This was proposed. Tiy came in asking for advice on the hundreds of dirt colors. Most people said they wanted it to stay the same.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think it's fine as it is. You either care about having different resource colors or you don't. If you do, make some storage. If you don't, toss it. Either way you can turn them into generic building materials that stack universally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Squeegy posted:

This was proposed. Tiy came in asking for advice on the hundreds of dirt colors. Most people said they wanted it to stay the same.

And that is why putting design to a vote is a stupid idea. A large group will almost always lean toward keeping things the same when given a choice. See also all the people rushing out to defend the current weapon/armor system.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vib Rib posted:

I think it's fine as it is. You either care about having different resource colors or you don't. If you do, make some storage. If you don't, toss it. Either way you can turn them into generic building materials that stack universally.

As it is my inventory fills up with sand blocks and makes me angry. So I wouldn't say it's great.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Squeegy posted:

No one had played the game. Getting feedback was pretty retarded, all things considered. Definitely something to resubmit for consideration, because the standing system is, frankly, pretty much poo poo. It works, don't get me wrong, but when the system can theoretically output hundreds of "sand" blocks that are identical as far as the player is concerned, something is wrong. Materials really do need to breakdown into some sort of base resource in order to at least make inventory management rational over the long run.

I really like the idea of "learning" material variants that can then be picked through some sort of unique interface to the matter manipulator, which then consumes this base resource material. It encourages exploration to find JUST the right color of sand, or whatever, but doesn't render inventory a nightmare when even a single planet can return two or three variants of the same material.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

More miscellaneous beta feedback for Tiyuri and crew:

-Random armor should exist and drop from chests, and should have random stats like weapons do, so people don't necessarily have to mine for literally hours to craft a soft gold blingsuit.
--The blingsuit should still be superior to most of what you would find.
--All armor should provide either -damage or damage resistance% with diminishing returns in addition to the warmth and energy (capacity? regeneration? this is never made clear) stats, but going the +HP route is fine too. Just make healing items do percentages instead of flat values, else bandages become useless.
-The damage system should be purely numeric and lose any damage differentials because that adds a pointless layer of complexity to the game. For example, tier 1 could be 1-1.5x in damage/all entity health/weaponstats, tier 2 could be 1.5-2.5x in the numbers, tier 3: 2.5-4.0x, tier 4: 4.0-6.0x, tier 5: 6.0-8.5x and so on. You can probably figure out the pattern I'm going for here.
--You might want to refer to the Diablo 3/Torchlight 2 systems for this.
-Needs more variety in enemy types beyond "ground" and "flyer". NPCs and NPC robots actually have way more variety than this. I suggest stuff that crawls in walls, stuff that's stationary and possibly embeds itself in terrain/walls/objects, and stuff that explodes on death/contact, among other things.
-Remove "simple collision" damage entirely. Enemies should have to attack to deal damage. Stuff like "Body Slam" could have a glowing trail effect to make it obvious that's an attack.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 8, 2013

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-Remove "simple collision" damage entirely. Enemies should have to attack to deal damage. Stuff like "Body Slam" could have a glowing trail effect to make it obvious that's an attack.

That's how it works already.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

That's how it works already.
Not for hostile animals.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Yes it is. The attack simply persists for a short time unless you Block it with a shield or get hit by it. Then it's "off" and you can hit the creature(s) with your pokin' stick.

stealthedit: Your trail idea would make this more obvious.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Denzine posted:

Yes it is. The attack simply persists for a short time unless you Block it with a shield or get hit by it. Then it's "off" and you can hit the creature(s) with your pokin' stick.
There's a very hilariously poor visual indicator for that then, since I could die from things by just running into them when they're seemingly not alerted.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Some creatures have a bite or claw attack animation which is probably what you are running into.
They actually don't.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 8, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This. I am pretty sure monsters need to actively be attacking, but things like Charge/Body Slam have a very strange attack window, which practically speaking makes the enemy constantly attacking, if certain hostile monster type enemies are not simply always damaging (just a note: spiky enemies may be a viable enemy type that always damage on contact, but they should be clearly distinct from others types, which right now isn't something that would be clear because of the way monster attacks work in practice). Having a visual cue would go a long way toward improving combat. Good suggestion.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's a very hilariously poor visual indicator for that then, since I could die from things by just running into them when they're seemingly not alerted.

Some creatures have a bite or claw attack animation which is probably what you are running into.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Ahahahahaha one of the randomly generated names for humans is Batman

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

crowfeathers posted:

As it is my inventory fills up with sand blocks and makes me angry. So I wouldn't say it's great.
At most I've found like 2 or 3 colors of any given material per planet, far from what would fill up your material inventory. Since the jump between planets in unskippable you can spend it just throwing that stuff in the trash. How long does moving an item to the trash slot reasonably take you?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

AndroidHub posted:

I gotta say, I feel like some of my favorite things are just quality of life additions compared to terraria, I kinda hate making the comparison because starbound is just in a different league in terms of scope; but stuff like pressing ctrl to look around, and right clicking while placing blocks making backgrounds are just so nice compared to what you get used to in terraria.

Also butterfly boost is ridiculous when you have 6+ energy regen, by the time you get to 10 energy regen you can just hold down the boost continuously (also if you teleport while boosting with it you arrive on your ship in an explosion of butterflies :3:). I do like how the engergy regen on your gear gates how useful some tech is, that said, grav bubble really needs to consume more energy to be balanced for early game.

I think all I will miss from the reset will be my tech (really only bubble and butterflies), and my growing collection of instruments.

The biggest thing for me is foreground/background blocks being on the same tool and the picks being able to mine a 3x3 square.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

At most I've found like 2 or 3 colors of any given material per planet, far from what would fill up your material inventory. Since the jump between planets in unskippable you can spend it just throwing that stuff in the trash. How long does moving an item to the trash slot reasonably take you?
More than people are willing to spend. Some people actually like to explore planets rapidly and just spelunk for loot and doing just that will overflow your terrain inventory into your actual inventory within two hours or less.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-Needs more variety in enemy types beyond "ground" and "flyer". NPCs and NPC robots actually have way more variety than this. I suggest stuff that crawls in walls, stuff that's stationary and possibly embeds itself in terrain/walls/objects, and stuff that explodes on death/contact, among other things.

As an addendum to this, though, please don't bring over the worm-type enemies from Terraria. In fact, think very hard before adding any burrowing enemies in general.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

But why should I throw it out when abstracting it would work better? I might want to make a castle out of purple sand but I only have 20 blocks of it compared to the 3000 sand blocks of other various colours.

Anyways maybe make it optional so all the people who want all those blocks in their inventory can, and everyone else can use a bank style system.

Basically I want something Equivalent Exchange style from MC (minus collectors that is)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rocketlex posted:

As an addendum to this, though, please don't bring over the worm-type enemies from Terraria. In fact, think very hard before adding any burrowing enemies in general.
They should all be docile and be harmless loot pinatas to solve this problem. :v: I don't think those enemies are that much of a problem in particularly hostile places, but restricting ones that actually attack to NPC toys / crashed ship and eldritch abomination defenses would be nice.

Additional feedback:

-Matter manipulator should be upgradeable to a tier below the best pickaxe you can make. Making a copper core for the matter manipulator would make it have the power of stone picks, silver for copper power, gold for silver, and so on.
-Please, PLEASE reinstate 3D printer replication for seeds. I want to make amazing farms.

Slime posted:

The problem I found with a lot of enemies in Terraria was that they weren't so much a threat so much as they just loving pissed me off. gently caress off you little fucker, I'm trying to loving mine! Go AWAY endless hoard of flying assholes, I just want to break this shadow orb and beat the piss out of this lovely baby boss!
Damage on contact causes a lot of that annoyance (and it's still in this game due to very poor visual indicators). Harmless happy worms that may have valuable ores inside them milling about while you mine would be pretty neat.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 8, 2013

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They should all be docile and be harmless loot pinatas to solve this problem. :v: I don't think those enemies are that much of a problem in particularly hostile places, but restricting ones that actually attack to NPC toys / crashed ship and eldritch abomination defenses would be nice.

The problem I found with a lot of enemies in Terraria was that they weren't so much a threat so much as they just loving pissed me off. gently caress off you little fucker, I'm trying to loving mine! Go AWAY endless hoard of flying assholes, I just want to break this shadow orb and beat the piss out of this lovely baby boss!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Some people actually like to explore planets rapidly and just spelunk for loot
Yes, I like that too. And it takes one second to click on a slot, then on another slot. If having pink sand or rainbow dirt in your inventory bugs you, trash it.
I seriously can't believe people are suggesting we need a smaller inventory or less options over this. My options shouldn't be cut down because someone else can't take less than a minute to manage their inventory every two hours.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Yeah as it is , sorting through and clearing out the piles of materials you get on long digs is pretty tedious, I'd like to see some changes there. I think a backpack slot item that converted mined ores into a generic building substance would be really cool, especially if doing so allowed you to re-craft anything you mined. Maybe it could have a mechanic that made any given material cheaper the more of it that you mine, to give finding rare materials a little more meaning. So like if you found just a handful of a particularly unusual wall block it would cost a whole bunch of build units, but if you mined out a lot of them you could make them on the cheap. I think having a building material index like that that you could fill by exploring and mining or through it's own material skill-book mechanic would be really neat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

canepazzo posted:

Seems there's no player limit on starbound MP, or rather whatever the server can handle.

We had about 20 people on my server earlier. The only problem some folks had was the chugging that can occur due to the bad optimization at the moment. Seems like the upper cap this time is whatever you can handle.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Yes, I like that too. And it takes one second to click on a slot, then on another slot. If having pink sand or rainbow dirt in your inventory bugs you, trash it.
I seriously can't believe people are suggesting we need a smaller inventory or less options over this. My options shouldn't be cut down because someone else can't take less than a minute to manage their inventory every two hours.
Do you really want more busywork in your busywork game? More power to you, but most people aren't much for grognarding when they want to be interior decorators or fortress builders, and I loot because I want to make more powerful things, not for the sake of looting.

Doc Dee posted:

I stumbled across a penal colony full of humans with weapons, and they only drop stims, and all the containers only hold stims. What do all these stims do?
They're like potions in roguelikes. Try them to find out what they do!*

*Death by sudden combustion or toxic injection may be a result.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 8, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
I stumbled across a penal colony full of humans with weapons, and they only drop stims, and all the containers only hold stims. What do all these stims do?

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Either way you can turn them into generic building materials that stack universally.

Wait what are you referring to here? Am I missing a mechanic?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Cool let's argue about dirt for 20 pages again

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zoe posted:

Cool let's argue about dirt for 20 pages again
You can probably trace the problem to people who want the game to be exactly or most like Terraria when the point of a lot of things is to remove a lot of the annoyance that game has.

• Locked thread