Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there anyway to make plots go off faster besides getting their numbers higher? It kind of sucks to have them sitting at 150% for 10 years and never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there anyway to make plots go off faster besides getting their numbers higher? It kind of sucks to have them sitting at 150% for 10 years and never happen.
Even better is when your plot allies blab all about it in a drunken stupor EVERY loving YEAR. But no, there is not, you can try to throw manual assassins at your target if you have a pile of 350 gold left

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Hambilderberglar posted:

Even better is when your plot allies blab all about it in a drunken stupor EVERY loving YEAR. But no, there is not, you can try to throw manual assassins at your target if you have a pile of 350 gold left

I always thought that that event only happened with drunkards but then I realized I was wrong, it happens with pretty much anyone. I assume things like that affect MTTH but still, loving, how drunk do you even have to get before "YEAH WE'RE GONNA MURDER THE KING IT'S DUKE BUTTLORD'S IDEA" becomes a thing you say

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I always thought that that event only happened with drunkards but then I realized I was wrong, it happens with pretty much anyone. I assume things like that affect MTTH but still, loving, how drunk do you even have to get before "YEAH WE'RE GONNA MURDER THE KING IT'S DUKE BUTTLORD'S IDEA" becomes a thing you say

I think it happens much more readily with drunkards, though. But yeah, it happens to everyone. In fact, I once got an event that I blabbed on a scheme I was backing while in one of my drunken stupors, and my character is not a crackhead drunkard.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Did they remove the ability to make vassal doges kings? I just created my Empire of Britannia and I can't give a kingdom to my awesome Duke of Leinster who gets me like 1000 gold a year in taxes :[

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

hellsjudge posted:

Did they remove the ability to make vassal doges kings? I just created my Empire of Britannia and I can't give a kingdom to my awesome Duke of Leinster who gets me like 1000 gold a year in taxes :[

You never could?

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

alcaras posted:

You never could?

Oh I could have sworn I tried that once in another game, I think I had to fudge it a bit by going into the save file and picking my doge and creating the kingdom, but I thought you could give it to them outright.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

Oh I could have sworn I tried that once in another game, I think I had to fudge it a bit by going into the save file and picking my doge and creating the kingdom, but I thought you could give it to them outright.

It's cheesing the system, but you could give them all the land of Ireland and not hold the king title of Ireland. They will create it themselves, and this works (supposedly) with bishops too. The only problem is that you get a really powerful vassal that you have to keep in check. They should have the money for creating it too if they're giving you that much at year!

Destroying the title and letting them create it works too, I think...maybe? At least it used to.
Gamey ways, but I liked having strong republics in my empire too. They'd often do plenty of conquest for me as well.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Getting a CTD trying to Start a game w/Sonendar :( --- after selecting a character,
in the middle of loading process. Not a CK error either, just a window crash dialog.
Non-mod start looks fine. On 2.0.1 w/pretty much all the non-cosmetic DLC (Aztec invasion off,
others on).

I extracted it into
C:\Users\OddObserver\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
--- there is a Sonendar.mod and a Sonendar directory in there. Was that wrong?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
My Umayyad sultan just died in a battle against the newly risen Shi'a Egypt with their event troops... in BENGHAZI! OBAMA! :argh:

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Here is my info:

MacBook Pro
Mac OSX: 10.7.5
CPU Type: Intel Mac
CPU Cores: 4
CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
System RAM: 4 GB
Drive Space: 347.9 GB
Video RAM: 416 MB
Video (Intel): Intel HD Graphics 3000

I have the game through Steam.

So I bought this game around the time it first came out. I had some issues where, after a couple centuries of running smoothly, the game would randomly "freeze." Sometimes it would be after playing for half an hour, sometimes after playing several hours. I assumed at the time it was due to issues with the Mac version of the game, so I left it alone, moved on with my life, etc.

The other day I decided to fire it up and see if the game had been fixed through patches and the like. Last night I played for several hours without any issues at all. No freezes. Then this morning I had a freeze, again after an hour or so. Now it keeps happening. Usually I get a few hundred years on, but then it just freezes. Since I play full-screen, I have no choice but to hard restart -- hold down the power button and cause my computer to restart. The freezing itself doesn't annoy me that much, but I am worried that so many hard restarts will have a detrimental effect on my hard drive.

My computer is fairly old and I know the game is probably taxing its limited system. I just wanted to see if this is an issue I can workaround or if my computer just can't run the game adequately (even though, according to the Mac game store, my system meets the minimum requirements). I have tried various performance tweaks, like editing the map settings and downloading mods that eliminate some of the resource-hogging things about the game. The game runs faster because of these things, but it still ends up freezing.

Any tips?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
4gb of ram is not optimal for gaming any longer. 8gb is recommended. Also try the flat map mod and see what results you get.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Torrannor posted:

My Umayyad sultan just died in a battle against the newly risen Shi'a Egypt with their event troops... in BENGHAZI! OBAMA! :argh:

Earlier today I got a message about the populace of Benghazi converting to Norse and I seriously considered taking a screenshot and keeping it in reserve to respond to obnoxious Facebook posts with. "NOW THEY'RE VIKINGS THANKS OBAMA"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Panama Red posted:

Here is my info:

MacBook Pro
Mac OSX: 10.7.5
CPU Type: Intel Mac
CPU Cores: 4
CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
System RAM: 4 GB
Drive Space: 347.9 GB
Video RAM: 416 MB
Video (Intel): Intel HD Graphics 3000

So I bought this game around the time it first came out. I had some issues where, after a couple centuries of running smoothly, the game would randomly "freeze." Sometimes it would be after playing for half an hour, sometimes after playing several hours. I assumed at the time it was due to issues with the Mac version of the game, so I left it alone, moved on with my life, etc.

The other day I decided to fire it up and see if the game had been fixed through patches and the like. Last night I played for several hours without any issues at all. No freezes. Then this morning I had a freeze, again after an hour or so. Now it keeps happening. Usually I get a few hundred years on, but then it just freezes. Since I play full-screen, I have no choice but to hard restart -- hold down the power button and cause my computer to restart. The freezing itself doesn't annoy me that much, but I am worried that so many hard restarts will have a detrimental effect on my hard drive.

My computer is fairly old and I know the game is probably taxing its limited system. I just wanted to see if this is an issue I can workaround or if my computer just can't run the game adequately (even though, according to the Mac game store, my system meets the minimum requirements). I have tried various performance tweaks, like editing the map settings and downloading mods that eliminate some of the resource-hogging things about the game. The game runs faster because of these things, but it still ends up freezing.

Any tips?

Play it in windows. I think we have the same macbook, or very similar (2011 model?), and I had the same problem when playing in Mac OS. But playing it in windows using bootcamp I have had no troubles at all. Restarting whenever you want to play CK2 isn't too much trouble.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

YouTuber posted:

4gb of ram is not optimal for gaming any longer. 8gb is recommended. Also try the flat map mod and see what results you get.

That was one of the performance mods I have tried. Like I said, it makes the game run faster, but the freezes still happen.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
What's a good Republic to learn to play? I picked up all the (major) DLC except SoA and I want to give something new a try. Should I wait until the patch that fixes event troops hits?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

What's a good Republic to learn to play? I picked up all the (major) DLC except SoA and I want to give something new a try. Should I wait until the patch that fixes event troops hits?

Pisa 1066 is the newbie republic imo, just because of the sheer amount of adult male relatives you already have.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

OddObserver posted:

Getting a CTD trying to Start a game w/Sonendar :( --- after selecting a character,
in the middle of loading process. Not a CK error either, just a window crash dialog.
Non-mod start looks fine. On 2.0.1 w/pretty much all the non-cosmetic DLC (Aztec invasion off,
others on).

I extracted it into
C:\Users\OddObserver\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
--- there is a Sonendar.mod and a Sonendar directory in there. Was that wrong?

Try turning off Sons of Abraham. Apparently Sonendar is incompatible with that DLC. Which is okay, really, since it doesn't need to use any of the new mechanics introduced.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My game just crashes eventually for no reason. I don't think it's CK2+, and I've kind of come to accept it.

Anyways, high Diplomacy seems to be underrated. My Komnenian empress is a Grey Eminence, and literally no courtier or vassal dislikes her, except for the boy whose father I executed - which balances out for a total opinion of zero. Also, I purged most of the rebellious vassals, but you know there's something special when every faction leader and member has an opinion of 100 towards you before you've ruled for ten years.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

marktheando posted:

Play it in windows. I think we have the same macbook, or very similar (2011 model?), and I had the same problem when playing in Mac OS. But playing it in windows using bootcamp I have had no troubles at all. Restarting whenever you want to play CK2 isn't too much trouble.

Thanks for this, but I don't have an installation disc.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anyways, high Diplomacy seems to be underrated.

I don't know how that's possible, since virtually everyone agrees it's the most important stat for Kings and Emperors.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Try turning off Sons of Abraham. Apparently Sonendar is incompatible with that DLC. Which is okay, really, since it doesn't need to use any of the new mechanics introduced.

That worked. Thank you!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't know how that's possible, since virtually everyone agrees it's the most important stat for Kings and Emperors.

Yeah, but everyone seems to talk about Stewardship instead.

I guess it's the first time it's had such a dramatic effect in my games.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
yeah if you're're not eductating your heir in diplomacy then you messed up son.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think all stats are now nicely balanced.

High intrigue really helps if you play a vassal or a small independent count/duke. Plotting against fellow vassals or your liege can give you great rewards. Later, in a big realm where you nearly always have a good spymaster, the stat becomes less important, making it probably the weakest stat.

Learning used to be poo poo, but now high learning can really help. Especially since you get the most out of a highly built up capital county, it can really pay off if you are one or two tech tiers better than your enemies. It's usefulness decreases in long games, but it is still probably the fourth best stat.

Stewardship is always nice. You get a bigger demesne, you get more money out of your demesne, and you get economic tech points, arguably the most useful tech points. I'd say it is the third best stat.

Martial is now actually important. -50% troops with 0 martial against +50% troops at 20 martial is huge. In my current game as the Sultan of Al-Andalus I can raise 14.000 troops from my capital county alone (3 castles and 2 mosques), which are more troops than any other state can raise, except the Byzantine Empire and Egypt! With diplomacy you might get less angry vassals, but with high martial they will rebel later (because of faction strength against liege strength calculations), and you are better able to fight them off. Military tech points are also nice. I'd say martial is the most useful stat, together with diplomacy.

Diplomacy makes all people like you more, which is very powerful in a relations based feudal world. Now that martial is so much stronger, it is no longer automatically the best stat. If you play Norse pagan a faction revolt is almost inevitable once your heir inherits, you are then better off with high martial to help put down the rebels. With the nerf to levies it is also no longer that important to have the highest relations, in a big empire you get drastically fewer levies from the outlying regions, a few more points in opinion will not give you meaningful more troops. It is still nice to get high levies from your core, but there are diminishing returns to diplomacy now. On the other hand, if it stops people from rebelling in the first place it is still really powerful. So I think diplomacy must now share the place as the most important stat with martial.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

You could always cheat yourself a quiet republic in Ireland, that sandbox of monarchs. Aside from that, I would say Gotland is a simple start. The Italian republics can quarrel quite a bit between themselves, or get mangled by the HRE/Byzantine.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

fool_of_sound posted:

Stewardship is better unless you have waaay too many vassals. If some vassal opinion of me is low I simply send some gold his way and its all good. Plus if you crush any major civil war most vassals will step in line and love you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Panama Red posted:

Thanks for this, but I don't have an installation disc.

You should definitely track one down, it was over a year ago that I had this problem, so Paradox obviously don't give a poo poo about fixing the mac version. You don't need the latest and fanciest windows, I just have Windows 7 and I'm pretty sure CK2 will run on Windows XP even.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

BillBear posted:

Stewardship is better unless you have waaay too many vassals. If some vassal opinion of me is low I simply send some gold his way and its all good. Plus if you crush any major civil war most vassals will step in line and love you.

This is my line of thinking, plus once you're at the king or emperor level having more baronies/counties boosts your taxes and levies so you can beat down rebellions, plus having Midas Touched gives you a boost to every stat as well as fertility to make more babies!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Blackray Jack posted:

Jesus Christ this just happened twice to me in a row now. I buy Sons of Abraham and another expansion and they go on sale the very day after. Last time it was me buying Don't Starve. There is no justice :argh:

SoA did not go on sale. :)

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

SoA did not go on sale. :)

First day it came out it was a dollar off, that's when I bought it!

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I can't destroy king titles despite being able to afford the prestige hit, controlling the whole loving thing, being the current holder of the title and it not being gavelkind, yet the tooltip still complains it's not met the condition of "not gavelkind". What gives? I really want these king titles to gently caress off.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

I can't destroy king titles despite being able to afford the prestige hit, controlling the whole loving thing, being the current holder of the title and it not being gavelkind, yet the tooltip still complains it's not met the condition of "not gavelkind". What gives? I really want these king titles to gently caress off.

You cannot destroy ANY of your titles if ANY of your titles (even those not being destroyed) is Gavelkind, maybe that's it?

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 8, 2013

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Excelzior posted:

You cannot destroy ANY of your titles if ANY of your other titles is Gavelkind, maybe that's it?
gently caress me sideways that is stupid if it's true.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

gently caress me sideways that is stupid if it's true.

Well having a Gavelkind title increases your Demesne limit across all titles; this prevents you from abusing it to get a larger demesne without risking anything but that one title.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Well having a Gavelkind title increases your Demesne limit across all titles; this prevents you from abusing it to get a larger demesne without risking anything but that one title.
This is the case. I changed the gavelkind titles to primogeniture and they're now all destroyable. I assume it's still bad to have king level vassals?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Edit: Nevermind

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

This is the case. I changed the gavelkind titles to primogeniture and they're now all destroyable. I assume it's still bad to have king level vassals?

Oof I haven't played a game with king vassals in a good while, did they change anything recently that makes it worse? I just made three kings and haven't had an issue yet :ohdear:.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Panama Red posted:

Any tips?

Yeah, my only advice is the same thing the other guy said about using Windows. My Mac has worse specs than yours in everything except the 4 GB of RAM, but I've never had any problems running it in Windows. I know you said you didn't have an installation disk, but maybe you could try VMWare or something if you have access to that. Although, that might not work well for something like this, I originally set up the other partition because running stuff in VMWare was so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is there a way for me, as a republic, to declare a successor for my family? Right now my heir is only a couple years younger than I am and I'm worried he'll die very shortly after, leaving me in the poo poo.

• Locked thread