Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Choco1980 posted:

(Note: :tinfoil: theater approaching. Feel free to skip. )

I'm old enough to remember, clowns didn't used to be scary almost ever. Sure, there might be one or two in a horror movie, but they'd be scary not because they were a clown, but because they were a bad guy disguised as a clown--something that was nice. I do think Stephen King's IT had a hand in turning perceptions, but more the tv mini-series than the book. And even then, it was at best a suggestion. No, what turned clowns scary always appeared to me to be a weird bit of contagious subconscious. Around the late 80's, early 90's (right around when that miniseries tangentially came out) TV and movies and whatnot seemed to suddenly pick up on a gag of it being funny to have a character irrationally afraid of clowns. ie "Ha ha, that spider made you jump." "Well you're afraid of clowns!" "That's not funny!!" (cue audience laughing The biggest seen offender of this running gag was probably Animaniacs, using it as a defining character trait of Wakko after a while. But it was just a thing that seemed to spread, this joke of haha scary clown. I think what happened next is that in the late 90's, the low-budget horror companies, like say Full Moon Pictures, as well as Halloween companies, caught on to this trend, and decided to run with the "scary clown" idea in earnest. The results are laughable for all the wrong reasons. But at the same time, I started noticing that people were taking the scary clown idea seriously all of a sudden. More and more I would start hearing people honestly talk about how much scary clowns freaked them out. And eventually that turned into just all clowns scared them--to the phobia level. And I'm not talking about just a few people, I'm talking most people. I've worked a couple years at a box office for a Jaycee haunted house during Halloween, and regularly people ask about how scary it is and whatnot. When people ask about content, probably the number one question is "Are there clowns?" because the clowns will freak them out. I recently read a list of current top ten phobias in America, and coulrophobia was like #3. The weirdest part about this whole thing is I remember when clowns were still funny and nice, less than 30 years ago even, but I can't even look at photos of any clowns from any time period without thinking they're creepy or sinister, or just weird and unwholesome. It's like there's some weird thing that changed the very way we think about clowns. :iiam:

Poltergeist came out in 1982 and had that creepy clown doll, I always felt that contributed a lot to the "clowns are scary" meme. Killer Klowns from Outer Space came out in 1988, a year after It was published. And the clown costume, because it conceals identity, has always been kinda mysterious. In The Greatest Show on Earth from 1952, Jimmy Stewart plays a clown who never takes off his make-up; later, you find out it's because he's wanted for murdering his wife (but it's ok, he's really a good guy, turns out she was terminally ill)

Edit: Ok, recent irritation, I can't remember if I've seen here: in Thor 2 when Thor and Loki's mother dies, I can't believe they just let a random guard tell Loki she'd died. It seems like the first time Thor even goes to see Loki in prison is after the funeral. How much time passed is kinda vague but surely it was a day or so. It just seems really out of character for Thor not to go tell Loki in person.

Tora! Tora! Tora! has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Dec 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A minor one in The Wind That Shakes The Barley. There's a training scene early on where the guerrilla leaders are trying to demonstrate the importance of cover, so one of them gives a recruit a packet of cigarettes and has him set it up on a distant rock (to show the recruits that even exposing yourself a little bit can be fatal). He tells the recruit to be careful, because there are cigarettes in the pack and he's going to want them back (okay, he says 'fags', not cigarettes, but whatever, it's an Irish movie). Then, once the pack is set up, he shoots it, putting a giant hole right in the center of the pack and presumably destroying at least some of the cigarettes in the process. I don't think he thought that one through very well.

Later in the same movie, a firefight breaks out and one side shoots a bunch of people, then the other side shoots back and hits someone, which is treated like this horrible atrocity and one of the protagonists begs and cries for them to stop shooting because oh no now someone's been hurt and it's just so terrible. You didn't have any problem with violence two minutes ago when you killed a bunch of guys, I don't think the enemy is going to be particularly keen on your suggestion of 'don't shoot this guy, he's my friend!'

Mister Bates has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Dec 8, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The worst thing is when people try and earnestly explain that clowns are objectively scary because of :biotruths: about their eye makeup or whatever, as if for centuries human beings were scared of clowns but just went along with it for no reason.

I was reading recently that it's partly due to the "uncanny valley" effect created by the makeup being a parody of normal features, but turns into full blown phobic reaction because of the pranks and jokes which a small child might perceive as cruel or mean. Additionally, modern clowns often dress as stylised homeless people, who children are frequently warned against by their parents. The combination embeds itself as the thought that there's someone who doesn't quite look normal who might do mean things to them and not only will nobody stop this person even if the child is in a crowd, they will actually side with the weirdo. So clowns haven't always been frightening, it's the modern development of the clown that has made them so to some people.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The worst thing is when people try and earnestly explain that clowns are objectively scary because of :biotruths: about their eye makeup or whatever, as if for centuries human beings were scared of clowns but just went along with it for no reason.

There was a UFO guy years ago that said kids who are afraid of clowns are likely victims of alien abduction and see the features of clowns similar to the Greys.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Neo goes to see the Oracle. She pulls a fresh batch of cookies out of the oven. Three minutes later, she sends Neo on his way with one of the cookies. He take a bite and it sounds like he's eating Cap'n Crunch. Almost no cookie would make that noise, and certainly not one that just came out of the oven. IT WOULD STILL BE SOFT AND CHEWY.

SOFT AND CHEWY. BAD FOLEY. BAD.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lincoln posted:

Neo goes to see the Oracle. She pulls a fresh batch of cookies out of the oven. Three minutes later, she sends Neo on his way with one of the cookies. He take a bite and it sounds like he's eating Cap'n Crunch. Almost no cookie would make that noise, and certainly not one that just came out of the oven. IT WOULD STILL BE SOFT AND CHEWY.

SOFT AND CHEWY. BAD FOLEY. BAD.

It's overcooked.

WAY overcooked.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously the cookie baking program needed deletion and replacement

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The Oracle knew Neo likes crunchy cookies and doctored the code.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Razorwired posted:

Whoa.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Razorwired posted:

That cookie was full of code. It was literally a piece of software that he accepted into his system, represented by a literal cookie.

A hacker should have known better than to allow cookies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mister Bates posted:

Later in the same movie, a firefight breaks out and one side shoots a bunch of people, then the other side shoots back and hits someone, which is treated like this horrible atrocity and one of the protagonists begs and cries for them to stop shooting because oh no now someone's been hurt and it's just so terrible. You didn't have any problem with violence two minutes ago when you killed a bunch of guys, I don't think the enemy is going to be particularly keen on your suggestion of 'don't shoot this guy, he's my friend!'

I think it's in the terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible movie Pearl Harbor when the Americans finally manage to get to their planes and take the fight to the Japanese up in the sky. They're blasting down Japanese pilot after Japanese pilot to the sound of heroic, upbeat music and then ONE of the Americans gets shot down and suddenly every character is,"NO! NOOOOO YOU BASTARDS NOW IT'S REALLY PERSONAL!" and the music goes all,"Oh nooooo a REAL person got killed, not one of those fake Japanese ones!" - I would have loved it if the Japanese pilots had all gotten super-pissed the moment one of their comrades-in-arms got shot down.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Kind of reminds me of how in Thirteen Days, an American spy plane keeps getting sent over Cuba and gets shot at quite a few times. Even though everyone in the entire world knows that America is sending spy planes over Cuba, the main characters all act really surprised when the plane gets shot down.

Also, why did they hire Bruce Greenwood to play JFK. He looks and sounds nothing like him.

But by far the worst thing about Thirteen Days is Kevin Costner's horrible Boston "accent." I mentioned this earlier but I forgot to give a link. It really needs to be seen to be believed. It's especially awful because you have to listen to it for two and a half hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tho5ZYLiuoc&t=4m3s

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Dec 8, 2013

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Independence Day, Will Smith's character somehow knocks out an alien wearing an exosuit that survived a crash landing (but not the hardest punch in the world apparently)

Also the fact that everyone on the internet seems to think he says 'earf' when he very clearly pronounces it as 'earth'

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

In Independence Day, Will Smith's character somehow knocks out an alien wearing an exosuit that survived a crash landing (but not the hardest punch in the world apparently)

Also the fact that everyone on the internet seems to think he says 'earf' when he very clearly pronounces it as 'earth'

Smith had every reel of film, first release VHS and DVD with the 'earf' audio switched out for altered copies. This used up a lot of his Scientology points and his children will be in servitude for several thousand parsecs.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Smith had every reel of film, first release VHS and DVD with the 'earf' audio switched out for altered copies. This used up a lot of his Scientology points and his children will be in servitude for several thousand parsecs.

Parsec is a unit of distance you son of a bitch.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I know that Escape from LA was supposed to be highly stylized and unrealistic, but I cannot believe that some hardened-rear end thugs would give Snake a sporting chance to quick draw on them when they have him dead to rights and outnumbered four to one.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Parsec is a unit of distance you son of a bitch.

No, he meant all of his children within a radius of several thousand parsecs will be in servitude.

Danstanster
Jan 5, 2010

:barf::barf:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A

I liked Chronicle but everything I've seen Max Landis in makes me want to punch him right in the face. Or at least point out the similarities between Chronicle and Akira because apparently that makes him flip the gently caress out.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I liked Chronicle but everything I've seen Max Landis in makes me want to punch him right in the face. Or at least point out the similarities between Chronicle and Akira because apparently that makes him flip the gently caress out.

Everything makes Max Landis freak out. For the amount of times I've been at a party with him there, or at the same coffee shop, it feels like I'm forced to share Los Angeles with him. A lot of outbursts and why isn't anyone looking at me moments.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Finally got around to watching Cloverfield, and the evacuation helicopters taking civilians and wounded to safety are flying, like, twenty feet off the ground. You're fighting Godzilla, guys, not the Viet Cong. You don't have to hug the earth to avoid the enemy's anti-air fire when the enemy is a giant monster. In fact, since it's confined to the ground, you should probably be flying as high as you possibly can.

Also, another thing from the same movie. There's a bit where the military is fighting the monster and the smaller bug-things in a street, firing directly at it, and the vehicles firing at this big honking thing right in front of them include a Paladin, which is a self-propelled artillery piece, and an MLRS launcher, also an artillery piece. They should be miles away from the battlefield, they're not designed to be pointed directly at things.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Celery Face posted:

Kind of reminds me of how in Thirteen Days, an American spy plane keeps getting sent over Cuba and gets shot at quite a few times. Even though everyone in the entire world knows that America is sending spy planes over Cuba, the main characters all act really surprised when the plane gets shot down.

Also, why did they hire Bruce Greenwood to play JFK. He looks and sounds nothing like him.

But by far the worst thing about Thirteen Days is Kevin Costner's horrible Boston "accent." I mentioned this earlier but I forgot to give a link. It really needs to be seen to be believed. It's especially awful because you have to listen to it for two and a half hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tho5ZYLiuoc&t=4m3s

They spend the whole movie talking about how this is a crisis and INNOCENT PEOPLE are in danger and at the end of the movie we find out what USSR wants is for the US to remove american missiles from Turkey!

So two hours of making the viewer hate the soviets for being dicks and in the end its the US that are the original dicks that are responsible for the crisis in the first place.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Present posted:

They spend the whole movie talking about how this is a crisis and INNOCENT PEOPLE are in danger and at the end of the movie we find out what USSR wants is for the US to remove american missiles from Turkey!

So two hours of making the viewer hate the soviets for being dicks and in the end its the US that are the original dicks that are responsible for the crisis in the first place.
Yeah, I never got why the USSR were depicted in that movie as being totally evil bastards for not wanting America to have nuclear weapons by their borders. It was pretty confusing when the main characters got pissy whenever Russia told them that they'd take the missiles out of Cuba if America took theirs out of Turkey. It's a perfectly reasonable demand. It was even worse when the main characters whined about America's pride being damaged when both countries agreed to withdraw the missiles. Just be glad that no one got nuked, you stupid assholes.

I never liked Kevin Costner either. He always seemed kind of full of himself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Does it count as a Movie Moment if it's what really happened?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Byzantine posted:

I agree. The Cold War was full of completely rationally irritating moments, but this isn't the "PYF great historical fuckups" thread.

That's a pretty good idea for a thread, though.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Dec 8, 2013

The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

Byzantine posted:

That's what I was thinking when reading the complaint too. For the movie, it was much better to build it the way that Americans actually saw it. For that, it was making the USSR out to be the bad guys for the whole thing, then later finding out what we were doing to instigate. That's how it really happened, and we were not exactly telling people about our nukes in Turkey.

The Duke of Ben has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Dec 8, 2013

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mister Bates posted:

Finally got around to watching Cloverfield, and the evacuation helicopters taking civilians and wounded to safety are flying, like, twenty feet off the ground. You're fighting Godzilla, guys, not the Viet Cong. You don't have to hug the earth to avoid the enemy's anti-air fire when the enemy is a giant monster. In fact, since it's confined to the ground, you should probably be flying as high as you possibly can.

That also really annoyed me in the actual Godzilla remake. There's a bit where some helicopters are weaving between skyscrapers going "I can't see the monster! What if it jumps out at us?" seconds before it jumps out at them. Jesus, just fly up.

Though to be honest, that was probably the least worst part of that film.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pilchenstein posted:

That also really annoyed me in the actual Godzilla remake. There's a bit where some helicopters are weaving between skyscrapers going "I can't see the monster! What if it jumps out at us?" seconds before it jumps out at them. Jesus, just fly up.

Though to be honest, that was probably the least worst part of that film.

The opening of Pacific Rim has fighter jets attempting to fire missiles, then swerve under the monster's arm. All while the narrater describes how ineffective planes and tanks were,

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr_Amazing posted:

The opening of Pacific Rim has fighter jets attempting to fire missiles, then swerve under the monster's arm. All while the narrater describes how ineffective planes and tanks were,

That was the very first encounter with a Kaiju, where they found out how ineffective planes and tanks were.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That was the very first encounter with a Kaiju, where they found out how ineffective planes and tanks were.

That's not how fighter jets work though, they'd hit it from two miles away with missiles. Not flutter around it going "pew pew pew"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's like declaring bears "immune to guns" while showing a clip of someone trying to pistol whip a grizzly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was a UFO guy years ago that said kids who are afraid of clowns are likely victims of alien abduction and see the features of clowns similar to the Greys.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space, believe it or not, actually gave a solid reason / guess about it. The aliens in the film are the cultural source of what we consider clowns, and somewhere through human history most people forgot that the chalk-white dudes with floppy shoes and red noses were dangerous and to be avoided. Those that are scared of clowns have that instinctive reaction that most don't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EmmyOk posted:

That's not how fighter jets work though, they'd hit it from two miles away with missiles. Not flutter around it going "pew pew pew"

Maybe they ran out of missiles.

e: all kidding aside, I'm sort of convinced that the incompetent jet fighters are intentional since nearly all the technobabble in the movie is wrong. Like the stuff about alloys, dinosaurs, analog, etc.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Byzantine posted:

It definitely does because the viewer only finds out about the missiles in turkey in the end-of-movie text, right before the credits roll. There was zero mention of those missiles in the movie before that point as far as I remember. So the script deliberately omits that information until the very end in the most manipulative way.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, I know that most of the events of 13 Days really happened. My problem with it is that the movie goes out of its way to make the Americans seem like heroes and the USSR like bad guys.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think that's part of the "it'd never happen but it looks cool so let's do it!" thing all films like to do. It's stupid and schlocky but people are expecting it and would probably get angry if it didn't happen that way, like how missles suddenly change direction in mid air or guns always make that noise from chambering a round or whatever.

I hate it when they do that on a large scale though, like Independence day where they can upload a virus to the alien ship using a mac computer. Blegh. As if.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I hate it when they do that on a large scale though, like Independence day where they can upload a virus to the alien ship using a mac computer. Blegh. As if.

That's another thing like the earf thing mentioned earlier, that bugs me in how it bugs people. Didn't the aliens hack into our communication satellites? Jeff Goldblum IIRC says they are going to use the aliens' own signal (that is hacked into Earth's satellites) to upload the virus. So to me that always sounded like it would be a mac computer talking to our own satellite networks.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

That's another thing like the earf thing mentioned earlier, that bugs me in how it bugs people. Didn't the aliens hack into our communication satellites? Jeff Goldblum IIRC says they are going to use the aliens' own signal (that is hacked into Earth's satellites) to upload the virus. So to me that always sounded like it would be a mac computer talking to our own satellite networks.

Didn't they say during the opening tour of Area 51 that our modern technology was based off the alien saucer? Including computers and operating systems or something?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Didn't they say during the opening tour of Area 51 that our modern technology was based off the alien saucer? Including computers and operating systems or something?

Yeah, all the alien technology obviously ended up being turned into apple products. I could understand linux or some weird operating system, but a mac? After watching various people in my life struggle with using one I'm not buying that it's supposed to be the superior, alien fighting option.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Am I to late for clown chat?

I think the reason so many people have a clown phobia is young kids don't see them as quite human, at least my kid didn't when she was younger.

Their standing there in outdated clothes, strange makeup, acting odd.
A young child has the logic of well I guess these guys are kinda people but not. Which is enough to make them scary.
Add to that the fact that they just do look creepy anyway.

My kids always found them creepy up close and she's too young to be touched by the cultural osmosis theory.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Guys, "earf" is funny because he's black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Danstanster posted:

Everything makes Max Landis freak out. For the amount of times I've been at a party with him there, or at the same coffee shop, it feels like I'm forced to share Los Angeles with him. A lot of outbursts and why isn't anyone looking at me moments.

It's just occurred to me that Max Landis is the Max from "...tell Rachel and Max I love them" in An American Werewolf in London. :eek:

• Locked thread