Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Dolemite posted:

One little trick I was taught in the boxing class (which is really how to adapt boxing to Muay Thai) is that you can try slapping/knocking down your opponent's lead hand and then punch them in the face during the confusion.

I love the swat. Theoretically, I would say it's a game changer in Muay Thai because of the swat-elbow (even though you can't really do it in light sparring). For example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySoU0d0Qbok&t=74s. Dude's standing southpaw to his opponent's orthodox and is a little bit outside of kicking range, goes in, swats the lead hand, fakes a knee but comes in with a massive elbow for the KO.

Dolemite posted:

Anyways, so, how do you all deal with:
1) Aggressive rear end guys that charge at you with a barrage of attacks?

Assuming this is Muay Thai, I would just clinch it, and do a throw or a sweep from there. It cuts into their rhythm and can be quite frustrating for someone who wants to fight at a particular range. I find that turtling up may work for novices, but when I got aggressive flurries from a professional-level MMA dude, he could work past the slips/blocks and eventually get in a hard one -- couldn't wear him out. If you got got really really good counters in, they might tone down the aggression for a more delicate approach.

Dolemite posted:

2) Guys that keep me away with teeps and kicks in general?

If they're primarily using kicks/teeps, I think your strategy would be to stay out of their kicking range to assess the situation, then try to close the distance into boxing range at the right time and then go to (3) with Ligur's hooks + uppercuts, and possibly pulled knees strikes (the ones where you hit people with the inner thigh, rather than the patella). I think feigns would work well in these situations - stuff like superman punches, feign a teep but step in for a punch combo, etc would help you get the opportunity to close the ranger. In a longer match, you can additionally punish them at range with hard low kicks to the thigh after they spam their kicks/teeps to weaken their kicking power.

Dolemite posted:

4) Do you all actually do the catches in sparring? If so, I guess that's something that's just going to have to come with time and practice.

I just find it difficult to catch if kicks connects more commonly at the hips than the waist and if your opponents are generally all shorter than you then you also might not find it that common. May be different at a higher level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Is this a cool place for some general absolute beginner questions? Because I don't have any clue what I'm getting into.

My gf wanted to get into some kind of martial arts and she wants me to do it to. We live in South Korea, but I don't really care to learn taekwon do. I was thinking about finding some Kung fu or something but she got all excited about something called 특공무술, I guess it would be tukgongmusul, but I'm not sure really what it would be in English, she only knew the Korean.

I couldn't find much in English (maybe because I'm not looking for the right English name?) so, anyone know what this is? Can you give me a basic rundown?

Is it some Rexkwon do bullshit?

mewse
May 2, 2006

BrainDance posted:

BOW TO YOUR SENSEI.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Is this a cool place for some general absolute beginner questions? Because I don't have any clue what I'm getting into.

My gf wanted to get into some kind of martial arts and she wants me to do it to. We live in South Korea, but I don't really care to learn taekwon do. I was thinking about finding some Kung fu or something but she got all excited about something called 특공무술, I guess it would be tukgongmusul, but I'm not sure really what it would be in English, she only knew the Korean.

I couldn't find much in English (maybe because I'm not looking for the right English name?) so, anyone know what this is? Can you give me a basic rundown?

Just watch a class or two. I doubt anyone has heard from it. Watch for sparring, which is good; watch for kid black belts, which is bad. Etc.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
A brief google search shows that the english is something like "Special forces martial arts." In terms of context I guess it's the South Korean equivalent of Krav Maga. Whether or not it's worthwhile beyond that is way beyond my knowledge though. Also, an alternate english spelling is apparently Teuk Gong Moo Sool if wikipedia is anything to go by as a starting point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Combatives martial arts tend to be pretty terrible since they're designed around teaching soldiers how to fight, sort of, in about two weeks before they go back to shooting guns and hiking with heavy gear.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Regarding catching teeps/other kicks during Muay Thai sparring, you should try to make it a task for yourself to try it during your sparring rounds.

There's guys who can just catch kicks on instinct- i've never been one of those guys, so I have to focus hard on catching them.

Let your partner throw a couple of teeps or roundhouses and block them, watch how they set them up. Most low level amateur guys (myself included) telegraph
their kicks from a mile away.

Hang back and watch out for the signs, then try to catch their kick- there's nothing more disrupting than getting your kicks caught. Most people stop their teep game almost entirely if you catch them a couple of times. And there's countless opportunities for great counters.

My latest fascination in Muay Thai techniques has been with sweeps. I find it really hard to get the right angles, and since my feet are frail as gently caress, i often end up with toes or ankles hurting like hell. But man it's so satisfying to catch someone off balance and put them on their rear end.

Sweeps and dumps are also the favorite thing our coach does when sparring. You can hear people loudly thumping on the ring floor anytime he's in there.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

She made me watch this video http://blog.naver.com/marsh811?Redirect=Log&logNo=40168249019&jumpingVid=40A64F22FAF11E8E01237E788E22A210D8B9

Just looked like a bunch of guys flailing around screaming but, I dunno anything, maybe that's just what martial arts are or something?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

BrainDance posted:

She made me watch this video http://blog.naver.com/marsh811?Redirect=Log&logNo=40168249019&jumpingVid=40A64F22FAF11E8E01237E788E22A210D8B9

Just looked like a bunch of guys flailing around screaming but, I dunno anything, maybe that's just what martial arts are or something?

Looks like Korean wushu. That's actually pretty cool.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Looks like Korean wushu. That's actually pretty cool.

Yeah. Probably pretty useless if your aim is to become good at fighting, but can probably be a ton of fun as general athletics and gymnastics training.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

BrainDance posted:

At the very least I know there are a few quality MMA gyms in Korea. A friend of mine trains at UFC fighter Dong-hyun Kim's gym in Busan, and I think Korean Top Team is in Seoul somewhere. Korea is also pretty big on judo. The instructor I had in college was an Olympic competitor for South Korea. I would also think you could find boxing/kickboxing gyms fairly easily. But yeah, generally I think if you want to get good at fighting then most of the Korean martial arts (TKD, hapkido, that combatives thing, etc) probably aren't a good bet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Martial arts are also about setting a montage to 80s style synth metal

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Well, after seeing that it definitely looks like it borrows from TKD or something like that. Also it's a bunch of clips of some kind of demonstration team (teams?) that the school has put together. Basically as others have said, based on that you'll get a fair amount of physical prowess and fitness out of it. Combative use? Can't tell from that video. Go down to the school and check it out.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Combatives martial arts tend to be pretty terrible since they're designed around teaching soldiers how to fight, sort of, in about two weeks before they go back to shooting guns and hiking with heavy gear.

Even more so I think they're designed to instill confidence and desensitize you to violence. Learning two weeks of technique and then trying to apply it under battlefield conditions is a joke. But training your soldiers to think of themselves as highly trained combat machines who won't flinch at stomping on some testicles, not a joke.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

BrainDance posted:

At 1:01 they do honest-to-God elbow drops. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know, then I've got nothing to offer.

This is clearly the greatest martial art.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Also duel nunchucks. It looks pretty awesome.

If you wanted to learn something practical you could probably do it and maybe supplement it with 1-2 classes a week of boxing/mauythai? It looks like a great workout, but learning how to punch properly instead of flailing about would probably complete it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Well I'm gonna be doing it. I don't have much of a choice since she's the one fluent in Korean.

So at least it's cool I guess. I'm more concerned with looking like a badass than having any actual real life fighting skill. And nunchucks and elbow drops sound pretty badass.

Edit: I just wanted to take a yoga class.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 6, 2013

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I,m gonna X-post from the grappling thread because I can

Hey so one of my rashguard ended up teaching the point of no return in term of funkiness so I threw it in the garbage and am now in the market for a new one.

I've usually just bought whatever I could find that more of less met the description of a rashguard, but I'd like to treat myself to a nice one. Ridiculous designs are a big plus (for example I think this is totally a good idea and would probably have impulse-bought it if it wasn't out of stock)

What are your favorite brands/why. Also good sellers if there are any (other than BJJhq which I will watch until my purchase is done)

Thanks!

(by the way it'S mostly to wear under a gi if that makes any difference)

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 7, 2013

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
drat, slept through open mat today and it turns out Thiago Alves showed up. :smith:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Kekekela posted:

drat, slept through open mat today and it turns out Thiago Alves showed up. :smith:

You in South Florida?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dangersim posted:

You in South Florida?

Tampa

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Ah, was wondering cuz I'm only about 20 minutes from the main ATT, and my school also has an open mat on Saturday mornings.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Doing a lot more sparring these days and my coach is recommending that I get headgear that has a bar across the face (mine has regular cheek pads). He says the pros all use them these days. Does it really make that much of a difference?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

Doing a lot more sparring these days and my coach is recommending that I get headgear that has a bar across the face (mine has regular cheek pads). He says the pros all use them these days. Does it really make that much of a difference?

I assume it affects your vision quite a bit

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

BrainDance posted:

Holy crap. This rules. It's like tkd crossed with lucha libre. Staged or not, it's pretty impressive/dumb that at least one of those groups looks like they're practicing and eating those throws on hardwood.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BrainDance posted:

Looks like the Wushu version of Haedong Kumdo.
Let me guess. They also call it an original Korean Martial suppressed by the evil Japanese/Chinese?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Looks like the Wushu version of Haedong Kumdo.
Let me guess. They also call it an original Korean Martial suppressed by the evil Japanese/Chinese?

Just had my wife translate. Supposedly it's the Special Forces Demonstration team.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I can't stop staring at this guy, he just clearly gives no fucks about what is going on in front of him.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

"What is a martial artist? A miserable little pile of techniques."

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dangersim posted:

Ah, was wondering cuz I'm only about 20 minutes from the main ATT, and my school also has an open mat on Saturday mornings.

Sup FL MMA buddy :respek:

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

We used a high speed camera to film some pad work and sparring in slomo today. It's incredible how much you can see about yourself! All the little flaws and giveaway movements come at you, it can be pretty harsh.
We filmed one round of sparring which went great for me, then watching the video I could see that my defense is simply horrible. Well, at least my footwork was good :smith:

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
New article on periodization for MMA:
http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Abstract/2013/12000/Periodization_for_Mixed_Martial_Arts.6.aspx

The authors are against doing any long slow cardio work, which I disagree with. Otherwise not a bad article.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

New article on periodization for MMA:
http://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Abstract/2013/12000/Periodization_for_Mixed_Martial_Arts.6.aspx

The authors are against doing any long slow cardio work, which I disagree with. Otherwise not a bad article.

Requires subscription. Other than that, HIIT has been promoted as better for most sports for some time now.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Yeah, but that shouldn't be coming from the scientific community. I don't expect the neighborhood PT to say any different right now.

Sorry about the subscription. If you are a student you should have access otherwise handing out copies is :filez:I believe.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I thought recent research had long cardio increasing some performance factors that you don't get from HIT?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

I thought recent research had long cardio increasing some performance factors that you don't get from HIT?

This is like the deepest swamp ever. I never feel I actually know what anyone should do when trying to gain something on something anymore.

Ok, if you want to increase your raw strength, and are starting from pretty much not lifting at all, do the 5x5 or such for a while like 3 or 4 months. Never heard anyone disagree with that (even though that must be only because I've never seen one do it).

But as for training for a fight in striking, HIIT or run? Or both? Spar a lot, or concentrate on short technique drills? Both? Depending on what? Lift something, or don't lift at all? All of that seems to change every three weeks :v:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

For the most part, until you reach a certain level of skill as long as you're working hard you don't need to have an optimal/optimized training program. Just consistently work hard.

Also specifically regarding combat sports are not a contest of strength (and to a lesser extent conditioning). Strength helps but being the strongest != victory.

You don't have to be the strongest, just be strong enough. Don't worry about lifting x% of your bodyweight or whatever over just being good at the sport you are trying to do.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Exactly, but it easier to ignore that kind of stuff and so you end up producing the article above. I'm still trying to get a review out on long slow cardio but it is a slow process.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Exactly, but it easier to ignore that kind of stuff and so you end up producing the article above. I'm still trying to get a review out on long slow cardio but it is a slow process.

So what you're saying is cycling OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

hi liter posted:

For the most part, until you reach a certain level of skill as long as you're working hard you don't need to have an optimal/optimized training program. Just consistently work hard.

Oh yeah true for hobbyist/amateur level people, but they still sometimes ask "what should I do first to get fast results" and with all the stuff out there, all I can say is "work harder than the other guy". Like in amateur fights the person who wins is 90%+ times is the guy/girl with the better gas tank, and there seems to be a lot of ways to achieve it on that level, most of which consists of just doing:

1) your sport related drills
2) doing them more than your opponent

And I'm fine with that.

It's the honest work!

• Locked thread