Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Holy poo poo, that episode was so good. Kaiki's "I really want to not be an rear end in a top hat but damnit that's what I am" monologue was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This was the best week of anime this season, and Monogatari just capped it off perfectly.

Senjougahara is back and more amazing than ever, and the whole beginning bit with her and Kaiki trying to one-up the other absolutely owned.

Someone remind me, what was it that Kaiki wanted with Kanbaru back in Bake?

RabidWeasel posted:

Holy poo poo, that episode was so good. Kaiki's "I really want to not be an rear end in a top hat but damnit that's what I am" monologue was amazing.

It was hilarious that he was basically trying to sate his inner rear end in a top hat, like a vampire's thirst for blood.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

It's so great that he bullshited his way through an immoral crisis so he could justify scamming a god. It's gonna be a good arc.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Holy poo poo, I lost it when Kaiki sits down in a pink Hawaiian shirt and declares that he's won. I have never said "Oh my god, yes" aloud so many times while watching two people sit at a table and negotiate a business deal.

Between this and Log Horizon, today may go down in history as the single greatest day for entire episodes dedicated to people sitting around a table discussing business transactions in the the history of anime.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 24, 2013

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
The image of Kaiki in a Hawaiian Shirt and Sunglasses talking with Senshougahara, who is wearing loving beaglepuss glasses, is hilarious. I never realized how great Kaiki is (probably because he has only been a villian so far). His narraration is entertaining and his soliloquy was great. This arc is off to an amazing start.

I doubt we'll get an OP though, considering the last one didn't have one either. Maybe they cut it to give more time to the show, which is cool. The ED is pretty good, though.

i300 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 24, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally, an ED sequence that lives up to Bake and Nise :toot:

Looks like Hitagi End is going to own.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I really have to hand it to this show. All that happened over a span of 20 minutes was two people having a conversation in a empty cafe, yet I wasn't the least bit bored. If this show was handed to anybody other than SHAFT I imagine it would've bombed.

HudsonFromAliens
Jun 14, 2012
Kaiki is my favorite character of the whole shebang so I'm very pleased that he turned out to be the narrator here. The image from Nisemonogatari of him in the spiral room was my favorite part of that series.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nadeko is not even gonna know what hit her.

All these people ganging up on a middle schooler should be ashamed of themselves.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

trucutru posted:

Nadeko is not even gonna know what hit her.

All these people ganging up on a middle schooler should be ashamed of themselves.

Well she is a god now who's planing to killing everyone, might as well gang up on her.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Every single variation of Kaiki's theme is literally the best music ever produced.

I also don't think I've ever been more disappointed in my life over the fact that we didn't get to see ANY of the dinner with the Araragis and Senjougaharas.

At first I was worried spending so much time away from Araragi as the narrator, but Hanekawa's stint was great, and Kaiki's is even better. It's interesting to see these character interactions through the interpretation of a man who's relatively impartial.

Cute, childish, and creepy.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Kaiki is a better straight man than Araragi. The theme really helps too.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Kaiki just shot up to maybe being my favorite character with this episode. His inner voice is as entertaining as Araragi's

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh my god Kaiki is amazing. I was in stitches after "I ignored that." Then it got even funnier.

Also, "She died in a traffic accident"? Seriously? Is Nisio loving with us or does Kaiki have a connection to Hachikuji?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sindai posted:

Oh my god Kaiki is amazing. I was in stitches after "I ignored that." Then it got even funnier.

Also, "She died in a traffic accident"? Seriously? Is Nisio loving with us or does Kaiki have a connection to Hachikuji?

I highly doubt Kaiki's first love was an elementary schooler/ghost.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Kaiki is the best. I will never tire of his narration.

I missed this in the last episode, but SHAFT pulled their ultimate head tilt.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Everything about that episode was amazing. I had to pause the show a few times just to take it all in.

Sindai posted:

"She died in a traffic accident"? Seriously? Is Nisio loving with us or does Kaiki have a connection to Hachikuji?

My guess is that it's Kanbaru's mother/Gaen's sister. I think that Kaiki was once a lot more like Araragi, until his meddlesome good guy nature got his girlfriend killed. The Kaiki we know and love is probably a backlash from that incident, which would explain a lot about his behavior in these last few episodes. Crazy speculation: Kanbaru is Kaiki's daughter :tinfoil:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, who would have known that this show would improve that much by replacing the narrator from mega-creep Araragi to someone much more interesting.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love his new digs. Reminds me of a sarcastic/:effort: version of this dude.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

Wow, who would have known that this show would improve that much by replacing the narrator from mega-creep Araragi to someone much more interesting.

It's the natural result of having the better Gundam-meister at the helm :smug:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I like the town hazards map he had. Potential risk of being beaten to a pulp by hot blooded middle schoolers. Heh.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Kabukimonogatari vol 2 BD/DVD package is pretty nice. :unsmith:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Now with TWICE the head-tilting action!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I think we have our OP of the year!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darkgray posted:

:psyduck:

And that goddamn cliffhanger. This is going to be a painful wait.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

darkgray posted:

Shaft had been slipping with their OPs lately, but between Otori's and now this masterpiece I think they've found their edge again.

As for the episode, Kaiki is still amazing and Nadeko is just straight up :stare:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The whole "Nedeko is a dumb airhead" thing really has me all :ohdear: .

We know she actually isn't quite what she appears right? With her classroom outburst?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

We know she actually isn't quite what she appears right? With her classroom outburst?

At the end of the day, while dangerous, I will always think of Nadeko in the same words an actual villain used to describe a bunch of wannabes, especially with our current main-man. :allears:

She might talk the talk, fancy-walk the walk, but at the end of the day, she has no moxie or pluck. And she's in dire need of both to be a proper Snake Goddess.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I would watch a show of Kaiki and Oononoki talking.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

The whole "Nedeko is a dumb airhead" thing really has me all :ohdear: .

Well keep in mind that she was in such heavy denial of her own jealousy and hate that she subconsciously created a complete distinct personality in her head based on a god she knew little to nothing about on which to deflect the responsibility and consequences of her deceptions.

So yeah, she probably really is just a dumb airhead :v:

i300
Dec 30, 2012

Nadeko is either the playing Kaiki and has seen through the whole thing, or she is literally the worst god ever. I'm scared. I think everyone is being too confident, and I really don't want Senjougahara or Araragi getting hurt in the process.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haha, that freaking OP, with gorgeous 90s animation rendered in loving SD resolution. How much of this story is Kaiki just lying to us???

I see two different ways things can go bad.

1) Araragi taking it upon himself to confront Nadeko after he's supposed to be dead.
2) Gaen sabotaging everything and making Kaiki take the fall. This on the other hand is suspicious, Kaiki is never going to put himself at serious risk, there's something he's not telling.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's also the whole meta logic of Kaiki entirely describing his plan, so now its doomed to fail.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That OP was the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Never stop being SHAFT.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh my god, so 90's. Yeah that takes the cake.

The most obvious development is there likely being a third party at play behind the scenes, with Ougi being the most obvious. They will act to undermine Kaiki's strategy and he will have to improvise. At the very least, his current plan seems to be to have Nadeko left alone in the shrine forever as a god which I doubt is the way this whole thing will shake down anyway.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
There's also [regarding Senjougahara/Araragi]Kaiki's plan to make Araragi choose one or the other has already failed once before, in the beginning of Nise. Senjougahara had Araragi chained up in the abandoned school, and the moment he heard that his sister was in trouble, he broke the chains and said (paraphrasing) "I don't care who you are, someone I care about needs my help and you're standing in my way." Now, I know Nadeko doesn't have anywhere near the familial bond that Karen and Araragi have, but as Senjougahara puts it, she fell in love with him chiefly because of how much he cares for the people around him. I think Kaiki is sorely underestimating Araragi's strength of character; Senjougahara is far more likely to relent than Araragi because her position isn't anywhere near as strong as his.

Also that OP is the best that's ever been created in the history of OPs.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Haha, as the OP started I thought they're not going to have Kaiki's VA sing? And then the perfection started. :getin:

I want a spinoff about Kaiki grumpily solving supernatural problems so bad it hurts. I'm worried this arc is going to ruin all future Monogatari arcs for me.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sindai posted:

I want a spinoff about Kaiki grumpily solving supernatural problems so bad it hurts. I'm worried this arc is going to ruin all future Monogatari arcs for me.

Well, the arc following it (bookwise - Tsukimonogatari) is the worst one in the series, so there's that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that OP! I kinda wanted a Kaiki-only opening but this one is hilarious.

The Kaiki show continues to deliver. The only thing I don't like is the Senjougahara art shift. I know we are watching this in Kaiki-vision but cute Gahara is kinda off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
K-kaiki...:swoon:

• Locked thread