Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

nyerf posted:

Dunno about the first one, but Boone Rings (https://www.boonerings.com) could make you either of the latter two. Bruce is a good guy, I highly recommend his excellent service. Lots of interesting things on his site in our opinion too, and if I could justify a second set of rings I would definitely buy from him again!

Those are nice. I especially like the meteorite rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

TheFreshmanWIT posted:

So I signed up for the list last night (perhaps too late to get in on the list?). I don't think it has unlocked anything for me, but I see the color changing sapphire. Is it just lowerish prices on the same public page, or is there an additional set of stuff?

On another note:
I've been stalking this thread since before I was a subscriber here and I've always been in love with Johnny's work. I'm currently in the early-shopping phase of engagement ring purchase, but made sure to check out his stuff. She mentioned at dinner the other night that she wants a Ruby rather than a diamond, which lead me to this one (which I personally fell for!): http://www.johnnybrookheart.com/collections/colored-gem-engagement/products/two-twenty-two-ruby-ring

It is an incredible ring, though I have some concerns.
1- I see the measurements, but don't really have a sense of scale on this one. I imagine 2.22 carats of Ruby is significantly larger than a 2 carat diamond, but I'm not sure how well it would fit? I stole her right-hand ring the other day, and found she is between 5.5 and 5.75 (so I'd order 5.5, since her left hand is smaller slightly), and am a bit afraid that something too big would get in the way.
2- Does a ruby react to light/get 'brighter' at all? The image here makes it seem a little dark.
3- She's a fairly active person, so I'm a bit afraid it might get 'bumped' a bit. Is that going to be a problem with something like this?

Thanks to Johnny/whoever can give answers, I'm a little nervous about this whole process (for obvious reasons, plus spending that much!).

If you look at the gem report image you can get the actual measurements of the stone, if that helps at all.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Rurutia posted:

Hey Johnny, are you selling any platinum chains to go with your pendants?

I don't keep any listed online, but shoot me a message and I can pull a few together for you.

TheFreshmanWIT posted:

So I signed up for the list last night (perhaps too late to get in on the list?).

Ruby ring stuff

There's actually a second website with special pricing and a few extra items. I'll PM you the password and link.

Gemstones are typically deeper cut to maximize the color depth. So a two carat ruby would be a little smaller sized than a two carat diamond.

And gems are notoriously tough to photograph (especially red and green ones, for some reason). The photo on that ring was pretty tough to shoot. If you look at the certificate scan that has a photograph of the stone by itself - That's the more accurate color. It's very bright and nice.

Rubies don't have any durability issues so everyday wear won't be a problem.

TheFreshmanWIT
Feb 17, 2012

JohnnyRnR posted:

There's actually a second website with special pricing and a few extra items. I'll PM you the password and link.

Gemstones are typically deeper cut to maximize the color depth. So a two carat ruby would be a little smaller sized than a two carat diamond.

And gems are notoriously tough to photograph (especially red and green ones, for some reason). The photo on that ring was pretty tough to shoot. If you look at the certificate scan that has a photograph of the stone by itself - That's the more accurate color. It's very bright and nice.

Rubies don't have any durability issues so everyday wear won't be a problem.

Ok, good to know! I saw the report, and the size measurements aren't that helpful, but a little smaller than a 2 CT diamond probably about right.

I didn't have PMs until a few minutes ago, so I may have missed it. If you don't mind sending it again, I'd be grateful. I just want to make sure I don't miss something awesome.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I tried to sign up for the sale, but it looks like I'm too late too. Can you PM me as well? Thanks!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Sure thing. If anyone missed the sign up sheet feel free to shoot me a PM or an email.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Just chiming in to say that all of those products are amazing. Personal favorites are the tiffany jadeite ring, and the cinnamon zircon cocktail ring! Oh and those limestone lithographic pendants!!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah -- no way in Hell I'm actually going to be able to afford any of the stuff in the sale (although I am tempted to try and scrape up for that tsavorite ring or moonstone pendant, or Christ, those lithographs), but it's an uncommonly beautiful collection.

Speckylicious
Feb 29, 2008

Get off my lawn, you Goddamn hippie

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah -- no way in Hell I'm actually going to be able to afford any of the stuff in the sale (although I am tempted to try and scrape up for that tsavorite ring or moonstone pendant, or Christ, those lithographs), but it's an uncommonly beautiful collection.

Same here. I'd love to, I think that sapphire and diamond ring is the business, but even scraping my wallet, I can't quite afford anything. Supergorgeous, though, JESUS.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I can't believe no one has picked up the cobalt spinel necklace or the sunset garnet ring. Both just rock my world.

You Hurf My Durf
Sep 7, 2007
drat, the Sky Blue Sapphire Ring is sold out. I've had that bookmarked for months now and I missed my chance.

Anyway, it is incredible of you to offer this, Johnny. Thanks and thanks for all the advice you've given in this thread. I've been following since the beginning but I don't think I've ever posted in it.

Speckylicious
Feb 29, 2008

Get off my lawn, you Goddamn hippie
Oh my loving GAWD that new tsavorite ring, Johnny!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Thanks everyone. I'm glad everyone has enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun for me.

It'll be up for another week and then I'll push the button to make it disappear. :)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
So, I convinced my fiance to work from home so he could sign for the package. They are way more gorgeous than I thought they'd be. I'm totally in love. Thanks so much Johnny.

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
I received the color change sapphire ring yesterday and it's even more gorgeous in person! The change from the most beautiful blue to a wonderful purple is even more striking than I had anticipated. Thanks so much for the opportunity to snag it at such a (relatively) low price!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This thread is just what I was looking for.

I'm trying to buy my wife a Christmas gift, and she has always wanted a diamond tennis bracelet. I'd like to get her one, but my budget is on the low end for such a thing. She would want white gold, but I imagine that's the biggest cost to them, so I'd consider silver if I needed to. I wouldn't want anything that had poor quality diamonds (Looking for at least SI clarity and G color, if possible), but I don't really care about TCW unless they were comically small.

She has a larger wrist (I'd need an 8" bracelet), so I know I'll be paying a little more for that. Does $1000-1200 sound reasonable for a budget? What could I expect to get in that range? I could go up to about $1500, but I'd prefer not to.

If that's not a reasonable budget, I'll have to find her something else. I really want to get her one, though, since I know she would never expect it and she's wanted one since she was a little girl.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
Is she hooked on the idea of diamonds? While diamonds are super hard, they are not the toughest of stones, so if they are worn on the wrist and get banged around a lot, they risk cracking. White sapphires are a very popular pick in a tennis bracelet for this reason, as they are still very hard, but don't have cleavage so are more durable to shock.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

She has a larger wrist (I'd need an 8" bracelet), so I know I'll be paying a little more for that. Does $1000-1200 sound reasonable for a budget? What could I expect to get in that range?

To be blunt? You can expect a real piece of poo poo. Check any place online, and you're going to be looking at at least $1,500 for the privilege of buying a <1ct total weight, sterling silver bracelet with HIJ I3 stones - and it will most definitely be 7". For what you want - an 8" GSI2, metal not specified - you're looking at more than $4,000, easy.

The thing that's tripping you up is the idea that the biggest cost is in the metal. There's a decent amount of metal in a tennis bracelet, but you're paying way more for the diamonds and the labor. The smaller the stones, the less they cost, but then you've got more stones to set in the bracelet.

Let's say, for the sake of math, you're making a tennis bracelet with 100 .01ct stones. Say your goldsmith is charging you $5 per stone to set them, plus you're paying $300-400 for the diamonds. You've got to charge almost $1,000 right there just to make up the cost of the goods. Add in the cost of the metal, which is going to be at least another $300-400, and you're at $1,400. Since your jeweler isn't going to sell it to you at his cost (because, you know, he needs to be able to pay his staff and his bills), he's probably going to end up doubling the price to cover all his expenses. Hence, you end up with a $2,800 bracelet full of extremely tiny diamonds.

You can't really do a tennis bracelet with diamonds that small (unless they're illusion set, and even then I think they're a little small for the true tennis look), so your cost per diamond is going to go up as the size of your diamonds increases. Your setting cost goes down because there aren't as many diamonds, true, but the exponential rise in the price of the stones will more than offset any savings you gain from using fewer stones.

To make a long story short, I bet you can find someone to sell you a tennis bracelet for what you want to pay, but you're not going to like what you get. You're far better off putting that same amount of money towards a nicer 'diamonds by the yard' style bracelet, or something else that isn't quite so stone-intensive. Alternatively you could try moissanite and get a bracelet similar to what she wants (quick search found this: http://www.moissaniteco.com/round-moissanite-bracelet-33ct-25mm-14k-wy-p-6091.html ), but that's still a little outside your price range and if she has her heart set on a diamond, it may not make her happy.

I hope I didn't come off like Sally Dreamcrusher here (and my numbers may be wrong since I've been out of the industry for some time now), but I'd rather be straight with you instead of seeing someone sell you something you don't want.

Also if somehow Johnny swoops in and makes a tennis bracelet for you for $1200 and saves Christmas, disregard everything I just said!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Johnny does have this up right now: http://www.johnnybrookheart.com/products/diamond-tension-bracelet

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for being honest with me. I figured that might be the case.

That's a very nice looking bracelet. It's not quite a tennis bracelet, but I think she would be happy with something like that. I don't see a size, though. Are all of Johnny's pieces made to order?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Naerasa posted:

Nice tennis bracelets are expensive.

I have to wonder...I have an older tennis bracelet I don't wear and will probably eventually sell. There have to be other people like me out there. Where would you find the secondary market on something like this? EBay?

(Killhour, I'd talk to you directly about selling it if it was long enough.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I have to wonder...I have an older tennis bracelet I don't wear and will probably eventually sell. There have to be other people like me out there. Where would you find the secondary market on something like this? EBay?

(Killhour, I'd talk to you directly about selling it if it was long enough.)

Send me a PM.

If I was buying new, I would want it to be the right length to begin with, but for a good deal on a used bracelet, I could have a local jeweler extend the chain a bit.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

KillHour posted:

She would want white gold tennis bracelet (maybe silver), G SI diamonds, in a nice size. Sized for an 8" wrist.

I will have to burst your bubble, but the bracelet you've described is about a $2,600 bracelet if you buy it from someone with a small markup. Unfortunately a lot of the things here are hard to quantify (nice diamonds, a good size), but a 1ctw bracelet in a fine quality is approximately $2,600.

You could always buy a bracelet from guys like these, but notice how they don't advertise the quality of their diamonds. There is no telling what you'll get when a store uses stock photography. http://www.jewelryexchange.com/Tennis-Bracelets-White-Gold_pi11058

The bracelet on my site is one I bought from a manufacturer's closeout. I buy from a lot of bankruptcy sales and store overstocks bundles so I occasionally get things at below the new manufacturing cost. I think that bracelet is a touch on the smaller side so I don't think it would fit an 8" wrist.

Zratha posted:

While diamonds are super hard, they are not the toughest of stones, so if they are worn on the wrist and get banged around a lot, they risk cracking.

I can't think of the last time I saw a tennis bracelet with a broken stone. The Mohs scale is a bit deceptive because it doesn't draw a line of how much harder one thing is from another. Diamond is always the first choice for durability.

Naerasa posted:

Fancy math.

I agree with everything you've said here. I couldn't have described it any better.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Most of the time the two options are craigslist (dangerous to meet in person) or ebay (lots of scammers). These days most jewelers and pawn shops buy jewelry outright. So if you have a good relationship with a jeweler they may be able to help. I always caution customers against leaving their jewelry with someone on consignment - I have seen that end up poorly many times.

(Commercial)I am always buying and need secondhand jewelry. Broken jewelry, estate pieces, gold scrap, engagement rings, etc. Feel free to shoot me an email with anything you would like a price on. (End commercial)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

JohnnyRnR posted:

I will have to burst your bubble, but the bracelet you've described is about a $2,600 bracelet if you buy it from someone with a small markup. Unfortunately a lot of the things here are hard to quantify (nice diamonds, a good size), but a 1ctw bracelet in a fine quality is approximately $2,600.

You could always buy a bracelet from guys like these, but notice how they don't advertise the quality of their diamonds. There is no telling what you'll get when a store uses stock photography. http://www.jewelryexchange.com/Tennis-Bracelets-White-Gold_pi11058

The bracelet on my site is one I bought from a manufacturer's closeout. I buy from a lot of bankruptcy sales and store overstocks bundles so I occasionally get things at below the new manufacturing cost. I think that bracelet is a touch on the smaller side so I don't think it would fit an 8" wrist.

I can't think of the last time I saw a tennis bracelet with a broken stone. The Mohs scale is a bit deceptive because it doesn't draw a line of how much harder one thing is from another. Diamond is always the first choice for durability.

I agree with everything you've said here. I couldn't have described it any better.

Most of the time the two options are craigslist (dangerous to meet in person) or ebay (lots of scammers). These days most jewelers and pawn shops buy jewelry outright. So if you have a good relationship with a jeweler they may be able to help. I always caution customers against leaving their jewelry with someone on consignment - I have seen that end up poorly many times.

(Commercial)I am always buying and need secondhand jewelry. Broken jewelry, estate pieces, gold scrap, engagement rings, etc. Feel free to shoot me an email with anything you would like a price on. (End commercial)

Thanks for the info. 8 inches is actually with a finger-width of spare room. Do you think a bracelet like that could be resized? How much would it cost?

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

JohnnyRnR posted:

Different experiences, I guess. I have seen a whole bunch of banged up bracelet diamonds.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

KillHour posted:

Thanks for the info. 8 inches is actually with a finger-width of spare room. Do you think a bracelet like that could be resized? How much would it cost?

Unfortunately the cost to add an extra custom-made link would be pretty high. You would be better off to buy another bracelet. Sorry.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for all the help. Honestly, at that point, I don't ever see myself buying diamond jewelry (except for the cheap stuff you can get at Kohl's); the price of a single nice piece is seriously approaching the price point of "Week long trip to Disney World", which I'm sure she would rather have. I guess it's true that jewelry is only for the super rich.

Ah, well. She would have killed me if I spent that much, anyways. I told her she had a $300 budget for me.

Thanks again, guys. I would have probably gotten suckered at a mall kiosk if not for your help. :)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

I guess it's true that jewelry is only for the super rich.

I don't understand what's wrong with moissanite? I get not wanting CZ since it can go dull and doesn't have the nearly as good durability, but moissanite (especially at only 1ct) is a very solid and cheap analog. If you wait for the patent to wear out (2015), I'd expect its cost to plummet quite significantly more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I don't understand what's wrong with moissanite? I get not wanting CZ since it can go dull and doesn't have the nearly as good durability, but moissanite (especially at only 1ct) is a very solid and cheap analog. If you wait for the patent to wear out (2015), I'd expect its cost to plummet quite significantly more.

Nothing's wrong with it. Diamond companies just have everyone brainwashed to think that if it's not diamond, it's worthless. My wife doesn't really want a tennis bracelet because it's pretty. She wants it because it's a "statement piece."

Personally, I'm the type of person that would be fine buying moissanite/semiprecious/whatever for an engagement ring. My wife doesn't seem to think that way, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 7, 2013

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

She wants it because it's a "statement piece."

Tell her that in the year of our lord 2013 there is no greater statement one can make than disregarding corporate marketing bullshit in favor of sound financial decision making.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I'm actually confused about the idea of a statement piece that a) isn't about the beauty and b) isn't about showing off how rich you are. Then what is it for?

Are you sure she didn't mean statement piece in the context of a fashion outfit? Like I wear a pair of bright orange pumps with spikes as a statement piece, so I tone down the rest of the outfit, kind of thing?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Naerasa posted:

Tell her that in the year of our lord 2013 there is no greater statement one can make than disregarding corporate marketing bullshit in favor of sound financial decision making.

I love this. There are so many other amazing stones than diamonds too! Why just look at Johnny's stuff...makes you almost forget diamond center stones exist :D

TheFreshmanWIT
Feb 17, 2012
So, I picked up the Emerald cut Ruby engagement ring and gave it to her last night! However, she went to resize it, and it seems that Jared is unable to do it! Apparently the X1 White Gold is harder to resize or something?

Anyone have an idea of someone in the Portland area that could do this? We could go to the "Shane Company" or "Fred Meyer Jeweler", but I figure if Jared cannot, that they won't be able to either.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

TheFreshmanWIT posted:

So, I picked up the Emerald cut Ruby engagement ring and gave it to her last night! However, she went to resize it, and it seems that Jared is unable to do it! Apparently the X1 White Gold is harder to resize or something?

Anyone have an idea of someone in the Portland area that could do this? We could go to the "Shane Company" or "Fred Meyer Jeweler", but I figure if Jared cannot, that they won't be able to either.

Try A local jeweler rather then a chain store. I took my X1 in to be re-sized and the local guy was able to do it no problem. Had I taken it to a mall store I would have my doubts they would be able to do it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I was looking at opalized ammonites, probably as a pendant, for a christmas gift. Anybody have any suggestions for somewhere that will sell a nice one? Ebay and Esty both have lots of them for cheap, but I'd rather spend a bit more money on something decent than roll the dice on an ebay/amateur grab bag.

Any thoughts on where to look? or warnings from people who care about jewelry that that would be worse than giving her a macaroni necklace?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Slo-Tek posted:

I was looking at opalized ammonites

They're beautiful and cool. Go for it. But sadly I don't have any suggestions for where to buy them.

And it's 9am EST so I've closed down the special goon store for the season. I'm glad that everyone enjoyed it, and it was a lot of fun for me.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Johnny, thanks for running the specials. I didn't end up getting anything because my girlfriend really wanted a new laptop for Cristmas instead, but it was great to check out and it sounds like some folks did take advantage of it.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Ammonite is fairly common here in Alberta; most jewelery stores in places like Jasper would have it and might be able to provide a distributor if you wanted raw stone vs a packaged product. Any of the jewelery stores you could find online for there usually have a few cases worth of it, as both loose stone and in settings. Here in Edmonton I see it in the malls as well, so I expect other cities like Calgary would be the same.

I don't have any names of good stores offhand (I've not bought much jewelery in years, and never ammonite specifically) but if needed I could try to get a few store names.

PIUGoddess
Feb 20, 2006
Jewelry people, I need help!

For various boring reasons, I'm in the market for a new wedding band (white gold). I have a platinum solitaire and I fell in love with an enhancer at Zales. Remembering this thread, I went to my local jeweler. I spent an hour in there, only to come out with a quote for a custom ring that may or may not look like what I want (can't visualize it well and I don't think the guy was really listening to me) for double the Zales price.

I hate to go buy at a mall but....they will honor the price of my ring from them (a boring $250 band) as a "trade in" and what they had is exactly what I want - minus my desire to have my platinum ring reset into a white gold band.

What do I do???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
If you're in a place big enough to have a mall, you likely have more than one local jeweler. Shop around-- the guy we got my engagement ring from was so much better than his competitor across the street. We had a really simple request-- solitaire sapphire, set plain old Tiffany-style.

Jeweler A had gems (in various carats) and a number of settings on hand and spent a half hour making sure he knew what we wanted, and could have everything ready by a week's time. (OK, maybe about 10 minutes of this was us looking at gems under a loupe because :sparkles:. That guy was really proud of what he'd collected from consignments and happy to show it off.)

Jeweler B didn't have any gems/settings on hand, said it would take weeks to get anything in to look at plus another two weeks turn-around time, and was really pushy about encrusting everything with diamonds and wouldn't we be happier with what all the other couples were buying?(Obviously that store didn't do much in-house.)

There were a few other places we looked, but Jeweler A had the best prices and was nicest so we went with him.

• Locked thread