Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for all the E30 starting issues info, I'll dig into all that this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed with all of the above. That's it for local selection, gotta look out of state now.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

S.W.G. posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed with all of the above. That's it for local selection, gotta look out of state now.

If I were you I'd look for 2009's with the M-Sport package. They look so much better and you get the greatly improved nav system too. You can probably grab one for under $30k.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The weather today was a little rough

So I parked my touring appropriately at work.

I was the first one at work today, since nobody else in this place knows how to drive in snow.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

ynotony posted:

If I were you I'd look for 2009's with the M-Sport package. They look so much better and you get the greatly improved nav system too. You can probably grab one for under $30k.

Ideally, that'd be perfect. I'm floating right around 25k budget, so it gets a bit challenging to find one thats not already 80k highway miles.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

S.W.G. posted:

Ideally, that'd be perfect. I'm floating right around 25k budget, so it gets a bit challenging to find one thats not already 80k highway miles.

There's no reason to buy a questionable car, especially a 3 series. They are a pretty common car, so you can always find a better example out there. Its not like your buying a rare car IE an 8 series that you can live with some faults or low production car.

The 3 series is the Camry of BMW. There's plenty of them out there and you will find a good one in no time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can also look for a 135 if you want the coupe. It's the same engine but smaller and less weight. It isn't too much smaller on the inside.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You can also look for a 135 if you want the coupe. It's the same engine but smaller and less weight. It isn't too much smaller on the inside.

I drove both, the 335i just seems to have a size that I like a bit bitter. The 135i felt a bit cramped in the dash area to my liking.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How stupid would I be if I was looking at 2011 335i M-Sport 6 speeds as my next project? They have an N55. I can't really get a feel on the E90 boards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What do you mean as a project? It's an E90, it has some problems but is a good car still.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Well, project mostly in terms of suspension upgrades similar to what I did with my E46 - like sways, struts, springs, control arms, etc as needed, as well as other upgrades (exhaust, wheels). None of these are really an issue though.

A search of the E90 boards found mostly N54 problems with fuel injectors and the obvious high pressure fuel pumps. I wasn't seeing those issues on the 2011's so I was hoping the N55 engine at least remediated a significant percentage of them. I have an N55 in my F10 (which I would trade for an E90) and it's been great so far.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's an 03 320i going through auction tomorrow listed as having an overheating problem.

What's the worst that could happen? :haw:

edit:

I'm game for a grand.

edit: it's going to be -32*c, or -44*C with windchill tomorrow morning, and it's a small auction at only ~300 cars, it should be fairly quiet there.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 6, 2013

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

There's an 03 320i going through auction tomorrow listed as having an overheating problem.

edit: it's going to be -32*c, or -44*C with windchill tomorrow morning, and it's a small auction at only ~300 cars, it should be fairly quiet there.

Looks like your overheating problem is solved.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But i don't want the overheating problem to be solved, i want it to piss coolant on the first 3 rows of bidders.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for coil overs on an e36 M3? I was considering getting the Dinan Koni suspension package for $1k but my buddy who has been working on e36's forever is trying to convince me to go for the coil overs.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Popete posted:

Any recommendations for coil overs on an e36 M3? I was considering getting the Dinan Koni suspension package for $1k but my buddy who has been working on e36's forever is trying to convince me to go for the coil overs.

Are you going to bother learning when to change the settings? I decided I wouldn't and just used Bilsteins.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

televiper posted:

Are you going to bother learning when to change the settings? I decided I wouldn't and just used Bilsteins.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm planning on doing a few upgrades over winter and getting the car ready to do Autocross this spring with a few friends who have been doing it forever. Depending on how into I get I could see myself messing with the coil overs but the car is also my DD for most of the year. He's pointing me towards Ground Control, TC Kline, Vorshlag coilovers but they are all around $2k and I'm not sure how much I would gain over a cheaper strut/spring combo or the $1500 Bilsteins. I would like to do a few other projects (exhaust, CAI, ECU upgrade) so I'm not sure if it's worth dumping $2k into just the suspension but he seems to think it's much better.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My 540 is officially in the shop in pieces. Lower chain guide was in pieces. It had slack at idle, but thankfully didn't skip timing.

It is still a very, very expensive repair. :(

Powershift posted:

kbb on my 540 is like $5500, i paid a grand, i doubt i could get more than 4k out of it.

Also, pretty much everybody else here with a 540 needs to stop posting. I don't need to be worrying that any part of the car will blow up at any moment, I already own a subaru.

oops

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drat you and your expsnive troubles :argh:

My 540 just started surprisingly easily in -37*c, even after being parked for well over a week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's lulling you into a false sense of security.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It's lulling you into a false sense of security.

It might be. It hasn't even asked me to check my coolant level yet today.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

It might be. It hasn't even asked me to check my coolant level yet today.

It's hiding something from you :ohdear:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's like a guilty dog; it's gone all quiet in hopes that you won't discover the steaming pile of dogshit on the front carpet that is a radiator fan ready to explode.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

ynotony posted:

One just popped up last night. Took it for a test drive, I'll be the happy new owner of and 09 coupe with sports package, cold weather, nav (non poo poo idrive), and 19"s. I pick it up monday. I'm excited to be bitching about my GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM shortly :allears:

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

S.W.G. posted:

One just popped up last night. Took it for a test drive, I'll be the happy new owner of and 09 coupe with sports package, cold weather, nav (non poo poo idrive), and 19"s. I pick it up monday. I'm excited to be bitching about my GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM shortly :allears:

I think I've convinced myself that this is my dream car. Please post pictures when you get it! The montego blue is the one that's unique to the M-sport coupe's right?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if it would be awesome or incredibly lame to paint my e36 Laguna Seca Blue. I'd probably never do it but that is a sexy colour on the e46.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just installed the water pump pulley and tensioner on the 540. We currently have about 6" of snow and an inch of ice, all the roads are slick. I'm half-tempted to take it out for a drift, but i know I'd just get in trouble. Sticking to the Jeep for now.

I actually don't mind working on the car when it's cold as long as I am staying active, don't have to lie on the ground and am staying clean enough that I can stick my hands in pockets every few mins.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

I can't tell if it would be awesome or incredibly lame to paint my e36 Laguna Seca Blue. I'd probably never do it but that is a sexy colour on the e46.

This is actually my plan for my (currently black) E36 M3 'vert. Gonna probably do it in the spring.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Probably not the worst thing to happen but they couldn't get that 320 running so they didn't run it through.

So I spent my December car budget on computer parts

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

This is actually my plan for my (currently black) E36 M3 'vert. Gonna probably do it in the spring.

Make sure to get pics up when you do, the few I've found online look good with a nice paint job. It's just one of those colours people either hate or love and I'm a sucker for it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

Make sure to get pics up when you do, the few I've found online look good with a nice paint job. It's just one of those colours people either hate or love and I'm a sucker for it.

Yeah. I'll be having a good place do it, at that. Don't want a sloppy job.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Wow, just took the 540 out to the gas station -- this is the first time I have driven it on slick roads.

Terrifying and hilarious. TC kept my nuts safe although i did have to flip it off to make a couple slight uphills. Sometimes you just gotta burn 'em and pray...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

my DSC goes off as soon as i turn the steering wheel while slipping, i think it's the steering angle sensor, i don't really care enough to fix it.

even with my winters, if i mash the throttle, the car doesn't hook until 4th, then again they are pretty skinny.

Also, i want to see a laguna seca blue m3 beside a grabber blue mustang.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

Wow, just took the 540 out to the gas station -- this is the first time I have driven it on slick roads.

Terrifying and hilarious. TC kept my nuts safe although i did have to flip it off to make a couple slight uphills. Sometimes you just gotta burn 'em and pray...

I know that my old 540i and 550i was pretty decent on snow. Throw some winter tires on that thing and watch it handle the snow like a pro.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Kenshin posted:

It would be awesome, but it will need to be paired with some good wheels. I think the esoteril blue with M Contours are a very attractive combo and would look great with LSB.

Three weeks into ownership of my E36 and I'm in love. It appears to be happy with me as well. The brake light on the spoiler wasn't working when I bought it, but one day my OBC told me that the brake lights failed. On next start up all three brake lights were working and haven't done anything since :iiam: and then 5 miles after passing safety/emission the CEL came on, with my scan tool it said the o2 sensors had failed and the light came on after clearing the code twice. I checked the oil level, it was about in between the lines so I put a little in. The CEL turned off and hasn't done anything since. The car is healing itself

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It would be awesome, but it will need to be paired with some good wheels. I think the esoteril blue with M Contours are a very attractive combo and would look great with LSB.

Three weeks into ownership of my E36 and I'm in love. It appears to be happy with me as well. The brake light on the spoiler wasn't working when I bought it, but one day my OBC told me that the brake lights failed. On next start up all three brake lights were working and haven't done anything since :iiam: and then 5 miles after passing safety/emission the CEL came on, with my scan tool it said the o2 sensors had failed and the light came on after clearing the code twice. I checked the oil level, it was about in between the lines so I put a little in. The CEL turned off and hasn't done anything since. The car is healing itself

Great, now Stephen King's going to write a third book about this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
E36 brake light sensors are fucky. I had eternal problems with one of the brake lights the whole 3 years I had that thing, no amount of contact sanding or bending would make it right. Then I switched bulbs and the problem completely went away.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My E34 does the same thing. At first id scowl at the OBC and then do a walk around to see all brake lights working fine, now I just do the scowl part and start driving.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
There's also "brake circuit failure" which is the pedal switch and not anything to do with the lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have a pedal switch waiting to go in, I've seen the circuit failure message a few times sporadically.

I found the trick on seating the bulbs is to lock them in firmly in one motion, it's fixed my issues.