Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Binge posted:

Also, here's the latest Auto Awesomed video Google gave me. I was just recording my friend's new puppy. But I took a picture of a BMW 650i at my dealership on the way there, so it decided to throw that in the middle of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIPegwlcsS8

Haha, I had the same thing happen to me. It made a quick compilation of my kitten playing in a basket, but decided to lump in a very unrelated picture I took at a different place and time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-AQY11N2Q

(it was a quote from the movie Tommy Boy; "lots of people go to college for seven years!" I'm drat near hitting that milestone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
My second HTC One bricked. The first one had a charger failure in July (guessing the charge electronics), which AT&T replaced with no issues, and this phone - I have no clue. Went to take a power nap on thursday (set an alarm for 30 mins) and was woken up 2 hours later by someone else. Pulled out my phone and it wont turn on, it wont charge (the LED doesnt even come on), when plugged into a computer via PC it will recognize that something is plugged in, but claims that it is "not configured"

:/

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mitztronic posted:

My second HTC One bricked. The first one had a charger failure in July (guessing the charge electronics), which AT&T replaced with no issues, and this phone - I have no clue. Went to take a power nap on thursday (set an alarm for 30 mins) and was woken up 2 hours later by someone else. Pulled out my phone and it wont turn on, it wont charge (the LED doesnt even come on), when plugged into a computer via PC it will recognize that something is plugged in, but claims that it is "not configured"

Hi jonmitz :)

Did you try any of those hard reset methods like holding power+vol up or power+vol down for 30 seconds.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

mitztronic posted:

Probably stuck in QSD Download mode, which probably means it doesn't have an HBOOT anymore

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422847465"]
If it's not making your battery life bad, then stop worrying about it. 25% of your battery over 12 hours isn't that crazy an amount. If you extrapolate your usage, then you'll still have 30% battery left after a full day, which is completely doable.

Turning off GPS tracking fixed it. I guess I'll just have to remember to turn it back on whenever I need driving directions.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Yep - I was on the phone with HTC support and tried everything. THey wanted me to ship it into them so they could "repair" it and they would ship it back in 6-8 business days.

I almost laughed at the guy. (because it's glued together, and because I dont pay over half a thousand dollars for a piece of technology and then going to go without it for 2 weeks because of a failure. What I told him is that's unacceptable because I need it for work)

Went into an AT&T store this afternoon and the guy could tell it was obviously bricked by talking to me and swapped me out on the spot. Lost a few contacts but that is what facebook is for :)

edit: minor correction: was an AT&T device support center not a store

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 8, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Apparently starting Monday, when you boot up your Moto X, you'll see this adorable holiday-themed boot animation.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Moto has done an amazing job with the X. If only it had qi.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Yeah. I was going to sell my N5 and buy an X, but I made the mistake of ordering the Nexus Qi charger to try.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

IuniusBrutus posted:

Yeah. I was going to sell my N5 and buy an X, but I made the mistake of ordering the Nexus Qi charger to try.

You can still use it with a nexus 7. Or use it as an excuse to buy one.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--
So that magnetic Qi car dock I posted a while back, forget about it. If you have a Nexus 5 all you need is a flat surface and the official charging pad to make an excellent car dock.

All I did was put it on that "Mountek nGroove Snap Magnetic Vehicle Mount" and it's on there good enough not to fall apart when I pull off my phone. That silicon stuff on the bottom of the charging pad is like magic. I didn't use anything else (glue, magnets, tape, etc). The nGroove thing has magnets in it already so those probably help too.

Then I just routed the cable inside my dash.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
That microUSB coming out of the top would trigger :spergin:

But it does look to be a great idea. I'm surprised there isn't a real, non-janky OEM solution (mass-produced) for a Qi car charger. It's confusing. I know, market share of Qi devices, but theres gold in them hills for a major company to do it right and not charge $99. If a clean solution landed on the market from, say, Moto (they do have non-X Qi phones) for like $49, they would sell a boatload of them.

Owl as an option, but I'd prefer a major OEM, personally.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 8, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Up until recently, I don't think it would have been possible due to the variance in positioning of the charging coils. But, Qi has that free positioning system that the Tylt Vue uses that could be used.

I would really just like cars to start integrating them into center consoles.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Civil posted:

You can still use it with a nexus 7. Or use it as an excuse to buy one.

I could deal with having a useless Qi charger - I'd just sell that too. But I really, really like wireless charging of my phone. Every time I pick up my phone at night, it is worth it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does the droid maxx have magnets in it too or is that just a Nexus 5 thing?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Awesome robpol86

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does the droid maxx have magnets in it too or is that just a Nexus 5 thing?

It doesn't have positioning magnets from what I read, but having a magnet in position x activates charging mode and x-.5" activated car dock mode

I'm actively shopping for a dock/charging solution now. There is a Garmin one for 40$ but its wired charger.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
How do I install custom system fonts without rooting my phone?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Robpol86 posted:

So that magnetic Qi car dock I posted a while back, forget about it. If you have a Nexus 5 all you need is a flat surface and the official charging pad to make an excellent car dock.
Is it pothole proof?

bull3964 posted:

But, Qi has that free positioning system that the Tylt Vue uses that could be used.
Where "free" is a set of coils in specific positions, and some chip detects which coil can get the better coupling. If your phone's coil is in an awkward position, you'd still get lovely draw. To work really properly, you'd need more coils with more overlap.

What I'd really like was a mat the size of a piece of paper, packed with lots of overlapping coils, so that I can just toss one or more phone-sized QI devices on it and not care about positioning. Such a charging pad would however be prohibitively expensive.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 8, 2013

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
What are recommendations for a good external USB charging pack? Preferably one that isn't too large that could go in a pocket easily.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it pothole proof?

Living in Pittsburgh, this is a serious concern for me.

hotsauce posted:

But it does look to be a great idea. I'm surprised there isn't a real, non-janky OEM solution (mass-produced) for a Qi car charger. It's confusing. I know, market share of Qi devices, but theres gold in them hills for a major company to do it right and not charge $99. If a clean solution landed on the market from, say, Moto (they do have non-X Qi phones) for like $49, they would sell a boatload of them.

I'd like to see Brodit / ProClip do one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chin Strap posted:

What are recommendations for a good external USB charging pack? Preferably one that isn't too large that could go in a pocket easily.

I've used the mophie 6000 mAH and the tylt powerplant ones and can recommend either.

The tylt one is slightly bulkier, the mophie fits in a pocket easily.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 8, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
My Nexus 5 shattered the screen being put down on a desk. Any ideas how much this is going to cost to replace?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Kafka Esq. posted:

My Nexus 5 shattered the screen being put down on a desk. Any ideas how much this is going to cost to replace?

I can't help with the repair, but was it slammed down on the desk? Being put down on the desk makes it sound like it was laid down gently.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Call Google and tell them what happened, maybe they'll be sympathetic? Always worth a try. Failing that, you might want to check with your card issuer. Some of them have a 90 day (or somewhere thereabouts) warranty on electronics that you purchase with the card. Something else to think of if you have homeowners or renters insurance, some policies cover electronics, or have special riders that do (my renters policy from Amica has a rider for like $2 year that it'll replace any electronic device that get's broken, regardless of reason. $50 deductible, and it doesn't raise my (laughably low) rate if it's under $500/claim)

Unfortunately, the Nexus 5 has a bonded LCD/Digitizer, so replacing the entire thing is going to be pricy, and I'm not even sure if there are any replacement kits available.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

"This morning I woke up to find my S4 covered in some wet, smelly substance. It was all over the back of the phone. Even inside the back cover. I have no idea what it was."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

With regards to a low-power bluetooth thingy to use with the Moto X's Trusted Devices feature, I just read that the Fitbit Flex is BT 4.0 LE. I don't have one to test out, but that might be a good option to use.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

ilkhan posted:

I'm so impressed by mine (bought during the Cyber Monday sale) I'm probably going to keep it and sell my two-month-old iPhone 5S. I wish the camera was better on the Moto X but it does everything else so well that I'm ready to drop iOS for the first time in 5 years.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm so impressed by mine (bought during the Cyber Monday sale) I'm probably going to keep it and sell my two-month-old iPhone 5S. I wish the camera was better on the Moto X but it does everything else so well that I'm ready to drop iOS for the first time in 5 years.

Yeah the X has the same internals pretty much as the MAXX which I just picked up, and this phone is amazing, but has a very mediocre camera.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I'm finding it difficult to decide on my latest and greatest phone. My contract ends in mid January but buying out the last month is really cheap anyway so there's a 50/50 chance I just do that.

I'm in the UK so there's no Moto X option and HTC One is in danger of being injunctioned. My options are pretty much HTC One 32GB, Nexus 5 16GB and LG G2 16GB.

I'm stumped, they're all pretty much the same in my eyes. My last phone was Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB which is same size more or less. I just want something that can browse the internet, play emulators, play native games and listen to music (with headphones so HTC On stereo has no draw for me).

It all boils down to Nexus 5 16GB or HTC One 32GB, is the Nexus 5 more powerful than the HTC One to warrant half the memory?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Xachariah posted:

It all boils down to Nexus 5 16GB or HTC One 32GB, is the Nexus 5 more powerful than the HTC One to warrant half the memory?

Pony up the extra £ and get the 32gb N5?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Xachariah posted:

I'm finding it difficult to decide on my latest and greatest phone. My contract ends in mid January but buying out the last month is really cheap anyway so there's a 50/50 chance I just do that.

I'm in the UK so there's no Moto X option and HTC One is in danger of being injunctioned. My options are pretty much HTC One 32GB, Nexus 5 16GB and LG G2 16GB.

I'm stumped, they're all pretty much the same in my eyes. My last phone was Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB which is same size more or less. I just want something that can browse the internet, play emulators, play native games and listen to music (with headphones so HTC On stereo has no draw for me).

Any reason why the 32gb Nexus 5 is off the table? https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

With regards to a low-power bluetooth thingy to use with the Moto X's Trusted Devices feature, I just read that the Fitbit Flex is BT 4.0 LE. I don't have one to test out, but that might be a good option to use.

I could not get it to work with my Fitbit Force. It only connects when it's actually trying to sync my stats (every 15 minutes), so it doesn't show up in the list of trustable devices.

It shows up in the Bluetooth menu but you can't actually pair it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Yeah it has to be on a subsidized contract and only one provider is allowed to offer N5 32GB in the UK, and they want like twice as much money for it monthly.

EDIT: The provider with the exclusivity agreement is the one I'm currently with, so I might be able to get 32GB if I go to their shop front and do some negotiating (I'm deaf and can't use voice minutes so maybe I can eek a better deal out of that too).

EDIT2: Here's what they offer for new customers: http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=84824675

To upgrade to 32GB through them directly would cost me £32 per month for unlimited texts and 750MB data, voice is irrelevant. So extra 50% cost per month for 16GB memory and 250mb per month extra data.

And frankly I prefer T-Mobile's offer, "unlimited" data instead of 750MB cap, but they aren't O2 so no 32GB version: http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=84825316

For the HTC One I'm leaning towards: http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=84825113 which has unlimited data.

This is getting complicated, I'll make a list, it boils down to:

Current: Galaxy Nexus, £22 per month, Unlimited Texts, 500MB data (O2)
Potential1: N5 16GB, £22 per month, Unlimited Texts, 500MB Data (O2)
Potential2: HTC One 32GB, £28 per month, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited Data (T-M)
Potential3: N5 16GB, £27 per month, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited Data(T-M)
Upgrade1: N5 32GB, £32 per month, Unlimited Texts, 750MB data (O2)
Upgrade2: HTC One 32GB, £32 per month, Unlimited Texts, 750MB data (O2)

As a deaf guy, the more texts and data the better, so P2 and P3 are the most tempting, I can upgrade to N5 32GB if I don't mind the extra £5 per month for less internet.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 8, 2013

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Can't you buy the N5 unlocked off of Google Play and then find a contract that suits your needs? Surely that would be cheaper?

e: though I know jack and shite about contracts in the UK.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Cheaper in the long run maybe, but I don't have £300/£340.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

A fair point.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'd recommend Vodafone if you can, my 4g contract is currently 2gb with an extra 4gb added on for a year, and no charge for going over that for the fort 3 months.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yay, Anandtech found out that you can't run the N5 at maximum volume on the headphones without it loving up the sound, because the amp doesn't get enough juice apparently.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smartphone-audio-quality-testing/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yay, Anandtech found out that you can't run the N5 at maximum volume on the headphones without it loving up the sound, because the amp doesn't get enough juice apparently.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smartphone-audio-quality-testing/2

This is what you get for buying a phone that's ~$350 unsubsidized. Corners get cut.

• Locked thread