Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

PrBacterio posted:

It isn't. But it was a huge opportunity for them to come out with something big and gain some momentum at a time when they sorely need it, and they utterly blew it.

They can't show very much, if anything now because they if they do, they won't have enough for a big splash at E3.

They greatly underestimated the manpower required for HD development. The only reason we're getting consistent updates for Smash Bros. is because another company is doing much of the legwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They've stopped doing big splashes at E3 and other big press events, too - their new habit is to show up and say almost nothing, and then drop a whole bunch of new info in a Direct a week later because they don't give a gently caress.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Pixeltendo posted:

its cute people think the reveal is spelling the end of Nintendo

But it's a hell of a chance to take the piss out of them, again.

How many months until another exclusive is released on the system?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They've stopped doing big splashes at E3 and other big press events, too - their new habit is to show up and say almost nothing, and then drop a whole bunch of new info in a Direct a week later because they don't give a gently caress.

Or they drop it a week later because, honestly, it'd get lost in the deluge of info from other companies.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Synthetic Hermit posted:

They can't show very much, if anything now because they if they do, they won't have enough for a big splash at E3.
Yes maybe, but don't they kinda need that big splash more right now, in the middle of the Christmas shopping season?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

February for DKC, Mario Kart and Watch Dogs sometime in the Spring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

February for DKC, Mario Kart and Watch Dogs sometime in the Spring.
Watch Dogs is the opposite of an exclusive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endless Mike posted:

Watch Dogs is the opposite of an exclusive.

Oh right. I was looking over the list and forgot about that part.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Tropical Freeze comes out before any major exclusives for PS4/Bone sooooooooo

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Was anyone else underwhelmed by DKC Returns for Wii? I played a few levels but just couldn't get into it like I did the originals for SNES. I wonder if I will feel the same about Tropical Freeze.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

funzo2226 posted:

Was anyone else underwhelmed by DKC Returns for Wii? I played a few levels but just couldn't get into it like I did the originals for SNES. I wonder if I will feel the same about Tropical Freeze.

It was a lot better on the 3DS where you didn't have to waggle to roll or whatever, though it was a touch too busy for the smaller screen.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

funzo2226 posted:

Was anyone else underwhelmed by DKC Returns for Wii?

I felt the opposite; I was impressed by how challenging I found the game in comparison to previous DKC games. I only played it briefly because I had so many other games competing for my attention at the time, but now that I've culled my game collection considerably I'm looking forward to Tropical Freeze.

DKC Returns WAS more challenging than the SNES DKCs wasn't it?

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

I felt the opposite; I was impressed by how challenging I found the game in comparison to previous DKC games. I only played it briefly because I had so many other games competing for my attention at the time, but now that I've culled my game collection considerably I'm looking forward to Tropical Freeze.

DKC Returns WAS more challenging than the SNES DKCs wasn't it?

The original DKC's are pretty drat hard in spots. DKCR is pretty much the same way. Some really tough levels but in general not too difficult.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

monkeu posted:

What's Wii Party U like? I haven't got a Wii U, but I plan on getting one soon. The original Wii Party was a great game for when you had people around. Obviously it was terrible / a non-event single player, but why you'd factor playing a party game (that has the word "party" in the name of the game no less) single player into a review score is beyond me. The Mario Party series has always suffered the same fate review score wise. I guess my question is, with the knowledge that I'm not bored / stupid enough to play a party game by myself, is Wii Party U fun with other people?

My current wish list for when I buy a Wii U is:

Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario / Luigi Bros. U
Pikmin 3
Nintendoland
Game & Wario
Wii Party U?

Thoughts?
No clue :shobon:, but if you're pretty much buying to get a remote, Nintendo's online store still has refurbished Remote Plus and nunchuk sets for $20 right now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I get a friend request from someone I've never heard of or played with before, so I checked out their profile before rejecting it. This is uh...well, see for yourself.

quote:

Hello! My Names Andrew Clark!

Used Mods Pro
  • Track Tiers Pro
  • Burn Nitrous Pro
  • Powershot Nitrous Pro
  • Lightweight Chassis Pro
  • Aero Body Pro
  • Long Gears Pro

This Is My Games Awesome! No More Misbheaves Forever! And Watches My Little Pony, Rocket Power, GO! Animate Others For Youtube.

Do Guys Join The My Speed List?

This Is For You Goodness Guys! And My Most Wanted Speed List Is Real Forever!!

Man, I haven't even played Most Wanted in months. How the hell did he even find me? :psyboom:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Look you fools, Spike TV Video Game Xwards is the make it or break it of the video game industry. If you don't give it all you've got you are screwed forever

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

whaley posted:

Look you fools, Spike TV Video Game Xwards is the make it or break it of the video game industry. If you don't give it all you've got you are screwed forever

Just another item to add to my "nintendoisdoomed.txt" file I've been working on for the past 20 years or so. :smuggo:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm sure we are all looking forward to DKC Returns 2, but honestly for the audience they were appearing in front of they might as well have shown a trailer for Wii Party U. If you are going to Doritos Presents the Mountain Dew SpikeTV Video Game Awards, you show whatever is closest to shootmans or swordmans in your catalog.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I really did figure they'd show off more of X or whatever though since there is probably a really good amount of fat people watching Video Game X and fat people really love themselves an RPG.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
At least Nintendo did not promote their game with Pewdiepie.

I have to wonder if Retro committed to Cranky using the pogo-stick-cane jump before Capcom announced they were updating Ducktales. It seems like a mechanic that would have been seen as a nice homage if the original game hadn't just been re-released, but in light of the re-release will just be seen as cashing nostalgia chips.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Artix posted:

So I get a friend request from someone I've never heard of or played with before, so I checked out their profile before rejecting it. This is uh...well, see for yourself.

Man, I haven't even played Most Wanted in months. How the hell did he even find me? :psyboom:

I got a friends request from the same guy. I was wondering if he was one of you creepers but going down his recent miiverse posts he had some japanese in there.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up
While it was kind of an underwhelming presentation, I'd like to speculate name dropping Metroid in the Reggie interview was a big hint.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I thought Tropical Freeze was a silly choice to showcase compared to other 2014 titles, but Cranky Kong was trending worldwide on twitter for a good while so what the hell do I know?

They were probably coming from the angle that they wanted to promote their next big release on the schedule, rather than choose a later release better-suited to this show's audience.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Silver Sound posted:

While it was kind of an underwhelming presentation, I'd like to speculate name dropping Metroid in the Reggie interview was a big hint.

No good can come of this.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made a Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze thread.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I thought Tropical Freeze was a silly choice to showcase compared to other 2014 titles, but Cranky Kong was trending worldwide on twitter for a good while so what the hell do I know?

They were probably coming from the angle that they wanted to promote their next big release on the schedule, rather than choose a later release better-suited to this show's audience.

Trending on twitter means absolutely nothing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'm excited for Nintendo's next big release: a video of Reggie beating Geoff Keighley to death with a cane

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The kids on Miiverse worry me sometimes.

"just found out that one of my friends uncle's is going to die soon" - from someone in the final world of Mario 3D World.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Regy Rusty posted:

The kids on Miiverse worry me sometimes.

"just found out that one of my friends uncle's is going to die soon" - from someone in the final world of Mario 3D World.

Saw this today: https://www.twitter.com/BadMiiversePost

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

"My wife left me and took the kids." - Pulp088, Super Mario 3D World

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I never knew that Bowser was female.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

funzo2226 posted:

I think it's the best 2D platformer ever made, even better than Super Mario World and the most under appreciated game last generation if not ever. So no.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

DKCR was many things, but under-appreciated it was not. It got rave reviews and sold millions of copies.

Also Holy poo poo Reggie just needs to stop posting on Miiverse.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Austrian mook posted:

the most under appreciated game last generation if not ever.

This is a very stupid statement. I can't even begin to understand how stupid this statement is.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
Anyone know when WiiSports Club Golf is going to be released?

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is a very stupid statement. I can't even begin to understand how stupid this statement is.
If only there was some kind of warning, perhaps red text of some kind.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Only the most under-appreciated games of all time manage to sell 6 million copies.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've never heard anyone say much of anything about the game after it's release date. It came out, and everyone forgot it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
"I think we should bring back Cranky Kong. Kids will want to see the original Donkey Kong."

"I keep telling you, he's 73 years old and he's dead."

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

If Cranky is playable who sells you discount resurrections?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Chaltab posted:

If Cranky is playable who sells you discount resurrections?

Time to bring back Swanky Kong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mercury Crusader posted:

Time to bring back Swanky Kong!

Only they make him like Stan from Monkey Island, down to the jacket.

• Locked thread