Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

edit: roof rack, snow tires and mudflaps will be mandatory. Gonna be sweet.

As long as you use the roof rack, there's nothing wrong with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oogs
Dec 6, 2011
Has anyone here re-attached an '09 impreza front bumper lately? Is that something that can be done on my own (with the appropriate Haynes manual), or do I really need "specialized equipment"?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

oogs posted:

Has anyone here re-attached an '09 impreza front bumper lately? Is that something that can be done on my own (with the appropriate Haynes manual), or do I really need "specialized equipment"?

I'm not 100%, but it could definitely be done without specialized equipment.

I think it's all just push-clipped in.

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

I'm not 100%, but it could definitely be done without specialized equipment.

I think it's all just push-clipped in.

That's what some cursory googling suggests, I'm hoping for someone with experience to give me a definitely yes/no.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, you can put it back together without specialized tools, haven't checked the service manual if the proper way does involve specialized tools, but I've helped a friend rebuild his 09 sedan that was hit in the front and it was no problem putting on a new bumper.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks. 0.8" circ difference :/

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

BoyBlunder posted:

As long as you use the roof rack, there's nothing wrong with this.

Skiin' every weekend in the winter, campin in the summer. Tying disobedient children to all the time.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So is the new WRX CVT only, I drove an Xtrail with CVT and it's so bleugh.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

No, it's MT or CVT.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The standard is manual-only. The limited and premium have the option of either manual or CVT.

si
Apr 26, 2004

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Thanks. 0.8" circ difference :/

If it makes you feel any better, 6/32s is the bare minimum you want to use a tire in snow anyhow. So you'd be wanting to retire those things to non-winter use soon anyhow.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

If you already have a DCCD for ice racing you're better off just setting it to full 50:50 with the standard controller I believe. I think that's one of the times they say in the DCCDpro instructions to just adjust it all the way to lock anyways.

I forgot to reply to this.

Last winter I tested full 50:50 vs auto with the STi on ice and keeping DCCD in auto resulted in faster times (timed with a autox timer) around the road course we had set up. I didn't fully test the other settings however, but I doubt it would be a huge improvement. I spent hours out there running laps too.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

oogs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqSfCZzEJ3A This might help.

Our bumpers are more or less held on with a hope and a prayer these days. You can perform the installation without any specialized tools, seeing as you're dealing with plastic rivets.

Did you hit something causing it to pop out or are you installing a new bumper?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I test drove the WRX and the Focus ST today. Definitely prefer the WRX. I think Ford has made some advances but it just felt so much more cheaply made. I know everyone was raving about how nice the inside of the Focus ST is, but I didn't see it. Clutch and break felt much more "economy" as well. Looking at the WRX Limited with a bunch of options included for 28.2, before tax and tag. Going to drive the Mazdaspeed 3 tomorrow. If anyone feels like tossing anymore WRX wisdom my way, I'd appreciate it!

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
My heater doesn't work and as of today the engine thermostat rises to the top as soon as I start driving.

I just moved from New Orleans to Denver and the heater worked until we got snow the other day.

Sounds like it could be a coolant leak, should I tow it to a dealer?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Isaac Asimov posted:

My heater doesn't work and as of today the engine thermostat rises to the top as soon as I start driving.

I just moved from New Orleans to Denver and the heater worked until we got snow the other day.

Have you checked the fluid levels? If you had NO coolant the coolant temp gauge wouldn't read high.

E: could be a poo poo water pump.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 8, 2013

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Isaac Asimov posted:

Have you checked your coolant? Missing coolant is a sure sign of a coolant leak. However, no heat + high operating temp is a sign of a stuck thermostat.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
It doesn't seem like any coolant is missing, and I last topped it off a few days ago.

On my drive home, after being parked for 40 minutes, the thermostat didn't rise higher than normal levels. So, maybe it's just the thermostat? My engine sounds very lean too, like sharp ratchets vs the usual smooth rumble. What can I do to winterize my car? Different oil?

Can a stuck thermostat ruin my engine if I drive to a dealer?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Internet Explorer posted:

So I test drove the WRX and the Focus ST today. Definitely prefer the WRX. I think Ford has made some advances but it just felt so much more cheaply made. I know everyone was raving about how nice the inside of the Focus ST is, but I didn't see it. Clutch and break felt much more "economy" as well. Looking at the WRX Limited with a bunch of options included for 28.2, before tax and tag. Going to drive the Mazdaspeed 3 tomorrow. If anyone feels like tossing anymore WRX wisdom my way, I'd appreciate it!

The focus st or the fiesta st? I'd agree that the fiesta is cheap, cheap, cheap but the focus st is worlds ahead of Subaru in terms of material quality and refinement. I would have to disagree with you regarding the clutch and brake as well, the clutch is good and heavy with a nice progressive engagement. It is a little long in throw but otherwise I find it superior to my 03 and my buddies cloud like MY11. The only annoying thing I find about the peddle arrangement on the focus st is how deeply recessed the throttle is making heel toe shifting nearly impossible.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So im trying to figure out what i need to get the sat radio working in my 13 wrx premium. My HU has the sat button but it doesnt do anything. Google tells me that it should be "pre-wired" for an on dash antenna. Subaru sells a sat package for $400 and im wondering if i can just find an antenna online and just find the pre wired connection. Any help would be great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Amandyke posted:

The focus st or the fiesta st? I'd agree that the fiesta is cheap, cheap, cheap but the focus st is worlds ahead of Subaru in terms of material quality and refinement. I would have to disagree with you regarding the clutch and brake as well, the clutch is good and heavy with a nice progressive engagement. It is a little long in throw but otherwise I find it superior to my 03 and my buddies cloud like MY11. The only annoying thing I find about the peddle arrangement on the focus st is how deeply recessed the throttle is making heel toe shifting nearly impossible.

The Focus ST. They only had the base model (no ST1 or ST2 packages), but it really felt cheaply made to me. My wife came and test drove it as well, and when I asked for her opinion after we left the lot she actually mentioned it before I did. Almost everything I have seen posted by people online says that the Focus ST is the nicer car in the interior, but personally I just felt cramped, felt it had a ton of buttons and doodads that were not well thought out, and to me it felt like the same old American made car interior. Again, I realize I could be subjectively in the wrong here.

Regarding the clutch, I have only recently learned to drive a stick so again, I could be in the wrong. I liked how the clutch pedal was very short and could be engaged while keeping my heel on the floor. Every other clutch pedal I've touched, including the Focus ST, pretty much required me to pick my foot up off the floor to engage/disengage it. And on the shifter, I am unsure if it was the short-throw shifter or the standard one, but when shifting it just seemed to want to go into the right spot. Even my wife, who is great with a stick (:mmhmmm:) felt that the shifter had to be actively "pushed" into the right gear.

The brake on the WRX was also a lot less sensitive, which felt like it gave me more granular control. The Focus break was like every other economy car I've ever driven where the break is basically on or off. Again, I could be subjectively wrong here as well.

I was also really disappointed with the hatch on the Focus ST, which again I had heard great things about. Putting the rear seats down required way too much fiddling with the front seats, and it did not sit flush at all. There was a huge 4-5 inch gap. And both of those facts are basically a dealbreaker for me, as I use my hatch all the time.

Going to go test drive the Mazdaspeed 3 today. Unfortunately, there are like 2 within 60 miles of me. I never thought they'd be harder to find than the WRX.

Things I am going to miss if I choose the WRX are features like blind spot monitoring, door keyless entry, remote start, keyless start, dual climate control, auto-sensing wipers, auto-sensing headlights, blinker integrated into the side mirror, and maybe even the nice touch-screen head unit.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 8, 2013

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Sometimes you can change the clutch-stop so that you don't have to step all the way down on the clutch pedal.

I "installed" a nut where the back of my pedal touches so traffic would suck less.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

TheFargate posted:

So im trying to figure out what i need to get the sat radio working in my 13 wrx premium. My HU has the sat button but it doesnt do anything. Google tells me that it should be "pre-wired" for an on dash antenna. Subaru sells a sat package for $400 and im wondering if i can just find an antenna online and just find the pre wired connection. Any help would be great.

If no one answers this, I can check when I'm at work tomorrow and see if anyone knows.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TheFargate posted:

If they haven't changed anything for the 2013 from the 2010 model, it should have a module like this right above the radio:

If that's a part you'll need, I have it.

This is the antenna I pulled from the 2010 as well, I think it might be needed for the satellite radio. If anyone has a picture of what the OEM sat radio antenna looks like I can rummage through my parts and try to find it.

If it's prewired for the satellite radio it should be as easy as putting these pieces in and it should work.

PM or post if you need any of those parts.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 8, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was going to replace the rear rotors and pads on the 92x a couple of months ago but got sidetracked and forgot what I was going to order.

For rotors I'm thinking

CENTRIC Part # 12047011CRY Centric Premium Cryogenically Treated Rotor

The car is just a spirited DD so I'm guessing I don't want drilled/slotted, but you tell me, I know nothing about brakes.

For pads I'm thinking

POWER STOP Part # 161004 Evolution Ceramic

or

CENTRIC Part # 30910040 StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads; Para-Aramid Material
Rear.

Does this look good to you guys? Which pads would you choose?

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

Bajaha posted:

If they haven't changed anything for the 2013 from the 2010 model, it should have a module like this right above the radio:

If that's a part you'll need, I have it.

This is the antenna I pulled from the 2010 as well, I think it might be needed for the satellite radio. If anyone has a picture of what the OEM sat radio antenna looks like I can rummage through my parts and try to find it.

If it's prewired for the satellite radio it should be as easy as putting these pieces in and it should work.

PM or post if you need any of those parts.

After browsing NASIOC i do indeed believe those are the parts i need. I suppose the only way to find out 100% is to pull the HU when i have the chance. I am definitely interested in that stuff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Isaac Asimov posted:

Sometimes you can change the clutch-stop so that you don't have to step all the way down on the clutch pedal.

I "installed" a nut where the back of my pedal touches so traffic would suck less.

Interesting. Thanks for that.

So Mazda wanted 30k for the Mazdaspeed 3 with the tech package. Apparently new ones are getting fairly rare. Look like I'm getting a WRX! No way I'm paying more for a MS3.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TheFargate posted:

After browsing NASIOC i do indeed believe those are the parts i need. I suppose the only way to find out 100% is to pull the HU when i have the chance. I am definitely interested in that stuff.

well, once you know exactly what you need and you want to get it from me, PM me on here, or find my thread in the Baja subform on NASIOC and PM me there if you want.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

blk posted:

I was going to replace the rear rotors and pads on the 92x a couple of months ago but got sidetracked and forgot what I was going to order.

For rotors I'm thinking

CENTRIC Part # 12047011CRY Centric Premium Cryogenically Treated Rotor

The car is just a spirited DD so I'm guessing I don't want drilled/slotted, but you tell me, I know nothing about brakes.

For pads I'm thinking

POWER STOP Part # 161004 Evolution Ceramic

or

CENTRIC Part # 30910040 StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads; Para-Aramid Material
Rear.

Does this look good to you guys? Which pads would you choose?

Centric blanks with stoptech pads are my go to. I ran them on my rally car this summer even expecting them to get nuked from left foot braking, but they held up great, my suspension blew up miles before I had the brakes too hot.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Isaac Asimov posted:

It doesn't seem like any coolant is missing, and I last topped it off a few days ago.

On my drive home, after being parked for 40 minutes, the thermostat didn't rise higher than normal levels. So, maybe it's just the thermostat? My engine sounds very lean too, like sharp ratchets vs the usual smooth rumble. What can I do to winterize my car? Different oil?

Can a stuck thermostat ruin my engine if I drive to a dealer?

Yes, a stuck thermostat will ruin your engine. The coolant in your engine isn't getting to the radiator (or the heater core) so the engine will overheat. You should tow the car if the temp gauge climbs higher than normal. I wouldn't rely on the temp gauge to tell if the engine is okay either, because it's basically an idiot light. Higher than normal = bad.

The gas mileage in my '02 WRX has decreased from ~26mpg to 22mpg. No check engine lights, what could it be? Boost leak? I have an AccessPort, can I use that to diagnose any problems?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I blew a radiator end cap in big white and in waiting for a tow truck to a shop in the nearby town. Weeeee!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I fitted my new dampers to the WRX today, and it looks like it's given me what I want - the ride is still reasonably firm, but the harshness and choppiness is much reduced. I also took the opportunity to make sure the front camber bolts were set to maximum negative camber while I was putting it back together.

I'll see how I get on with it, and when spring means I can justify some more performance-oriented tyres I may well go for an anti-lift kit and proper setup at the same time.

Slow is Fast posted:

Centric blanks with stoptech pads are my go to. I ran them on my rally car this summer even expecting them to get nuked from left foot braking, but they held up great, my suspension blew up miles before I had the brakes too hot.
Irritatingly, I can't get those in the UK. I'm strongly tempted put up with the brakes as they are for a bit until I can go for a 335mm kit from Godspeed, as I'd be spending a fair percentage of that amount on standard discs and decent pads anyway.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Neptr posted:

The gas mileage in my '02 WRX has decreased from ~26mpg to 22mpg. No check engine lights, what could it be? Boost leak? I have an AccessPort, can I use that to diagnose any problems?

Winter gas?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting. Thanks for that.

So Mazda wanted 30k for the Mazdaspeed 3 with the tech package. Apparently new ones are getting fairly rare. Look like I'm getting a WRX! No way I'm paying more for a MS3.

Intereseting, TrueCar has the MS3 with tech package at around 23-24k before TTL. http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/m...7&zipcode=90210

Insert your zip code to find participating dealers and avoid getting ripped off :)

Here's the WRX Wagon Limited: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/subaru/impreza-wagon-wrx-pricing/2014/38DD9177/

And just for giggles, here's the ST I bought: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/f...1&zipcode=90210

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

InitialDave posted:

I fitted my new dampers to the WRX today, and it looks like it's given me what I want - the ride is still reasonably firm, but the harshness and choppiness is much reduced. I also took the opportunity to make sure the front camber bolts were set to maximum negative camber while I was putting it back together.

I'll see how I get on with it, and when spring means I can justify some more performance-oriented tyres I may well go for an anti-lift kit and proper setup at the same time.

Irritatingly, I can't get those in the UK. I'm strongly tempted put up with the brakes as they are for a bit until I can go for a 335mm kit from Godspeed, as I'd be spending a fair percentage of that amount on standard discs and decent pads anyway.

Get the stoptech pads. Whatever is cheap for rotors. Don't bother with a big brake kit unless you are tracking the car frequently. You have the 4/2-pot brakes with subaru written across them, right? The part numbers you have are not the right ones:

Rotor shapes are:
12x.47018
12x.47026
pad shapes are

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 9, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Amandyke posted:

Intereseting, TrueCar has the MS3 with tech package at around 23-24k before TTL. http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/m...7&zipcode=90210

Insert your zip code to find participating dealers and avoid getting ripped off :)

Here's the WRX Wagon Limited: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/subaru/impreza-wagon-wrx-pricing/2014/38DD9177/

And just for giggles, here's the ST I bought: http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/f...1&zipcode=90210

Oh, I know the Trucar price, which is why I walked out. It is the only Mazdaspeed 3 around, so I guess they feel some sicker is going to buy it. No skin off my back, I really want the WRX and was just doing my homework.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

jamal posted:

Get the stoptech pads. Whatever is cheap for rotors. Don't bother with a big brake kit unless you are tracking the car frequently. You have the 4/2-pot brakes with subaru written across them, right? The part numbers you have are not the right ones:

Rotor shapes are:
12x.47018
12x.47026
pad shapes are

Not sure, haven't actually pulled the wheels yet. I'm going off the Rockauto catalog. The car's an 06.

I really need a driveway and a garage.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oh, sorry, I gave the parts for an 06 wrx. The 06 92x didn't get the same brakes as the 06-07 wrx (likely because they say "subaru" across them)

Rotor shapes:
12x.47018 turbo 294mm
12x.47012 n/a 276mm
12x.47011 rear all
pad shapes:

I carry all this stuff but probably can't beat rockauto. But if you let me know the total and a zip code I can check.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Ugh, after two broken socket adapters, and three broken impact extensions, I'm still not done with my weekend suspension swap on the wrx.

I've got a stuck strut to knuckle bolt (bottom) that's starting to round despite all my efforts. It was torqued to spec the last time I swapped out the struts to 129ft-lbs, and went on without issues, but now it feels like it's seized. Apart from penetrating oil, hitting it with a rattle gun, and jumping on a breaker bar, am I just left with torching and a prayer?

I don't really have enough working room to cut it off with my equipment, so I'm kind of hoping you guys have better ideas before I gave in and take it to a shop for them to tackle. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

24" breaker bar, 6-point 1/2" socket. And make sure you are trying to loosen the nut and not the bolt.