Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Captain Novolin posted:

Is there a way for me, as a republic, to declare a successor for my family? Right now my heir is only a couple years younger than I am and I'm worried he'll die very shortly after, leaving me in the poo poo.

Go to your favoured successor, Award Honorary Title -> Designated Heir

e: note if you nominate someone too young you're going to have enormous difficulty getting him elected because age is the primary factor in winning the election. Be prepared to sink several hundred gold into a campaign fund, because not being the doge is not a very nice place to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Allyn posted:

Go to your favoured successor, Award Honorary Title -> Designated Heir

e: note if you nominate someone too young you're going to have enormous difficulty getting him elected because age is the primary factor in winning the election. Be prepared to sink several hundred gold into a campaign fund, because not being the doge is not a very nice place to be

That's simple :downs:

I had to dump some money in a campaign, but not much more than I already was. Most of the new cantidates are young, since everyone else was in their 60s or had their cabins blow up.

E: Gotland is a really, really good place to learn how a republic works. You might have to fight off a duke with a de jure claim, but that's not too hard, even early on. If you play your cards right it's easy to expand bigtime early on and buy yourself out of any trouble. I lost the last election when my character died, but I'm next in line for when this 73-year-old decides to bite the dust. I had enough cash laying around to spend on the campaign to make a 20-something beat out some 40 and even 50 year old dudes.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 8, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

YouTuber posted:

4gb of ram is not optimal for gaming any longer. 8gb is recommended. Also try the flat map mod and see what results you get.

4gb of ram is what i've got in the PC i'm using now, it runs fine. Its not just the ram.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

hellsjudge posted:

Oof I haven't played a game with king vassals in a good while, did they change anything recently that makes it worse? I just made three kings and haven't had an issue yet :ohdear:.
Way back when I was last actively playing this it was generally held to be accepted forums wisdom that King level vassals are a massively poo poo idea since a rebellion can snowball out of control *very* rapidly.
I'm the Roman Empire and there's maybe 26 king level titles in there. Depending on which ones revolt I'd be well and truly *hosed* so I've been destroying whichever ones I manage to inherit or steal at the end of a ruler's lifetime. Sure, all his vassals hate him, but with a little luck he'll croak soon anyway and then my heir doesn't have to deal with this. The only exception is the Kingdom of Burgundy, even though it is elective and wholly within my empire I can't seem to ever nominate anyone for election. There's just a random elected king that switches around among my vassals.
I've left the King of Taurica alive since his ancestors managed to conquer outside of the realm as a Doux and make the title all by themself. It also helps they're all of my blood. I can respect that sort of gusto. Also because it's a small two-duchy poo poo-kingdom in the path of the Golden Horde.

E: How/where do I modify the title creation requirements for CK2? I wanted to tag over to Nubia, give it some money and piety so it could create the empire of abyssinia and port over to eu4 but apparently you have to be despot of egypt for that one to work, I assume there's a file in which I can remove this requirement?
Never mind, I found it! For future people who are curious: SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\common\landed_titles holds all landed titles and their creation requirements as far as I can tell.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 8, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
King vassals bring an extra element of danger in that one of them mounting a rebellion can wreck your day... but by the same token, it also means you have one kingly vassal to keep happy rather than seven dukes, who might not be as militarily great a threat but who can each join in plots and factions and otherwise make your life more difficult. I, at least, find vassal Kings to be no big deal; throw money at them until they like you, then just wait for the short reign penalty to expire and suddenly you're golden.

Really, the choice of whether or not to make Vassal Kings comes down to "which are you better at - keeping your vassals happy, or killing them when they're unhappy?"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

King level vassals can deal with rebellions (if you have TOG) so you don't have to. I find that a major plus. It is also easier to raise their levies.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

King vassals bring an extra element of danger in that one of them mounting a rebellion can wreck your day... but by the same token, it also means you have one kingly vassal to keep happy rather than seven dukes, who might not be as militarily great a threat but who can each join in plots and factions and otherwise make your life more difficult. I, at least, find vassal Kings to be no big deal; throw money at them until they like you, then just wait for the short reign penalty to expire and suddenly you're golden.

Really, the choice of whether or not to make Vassal Kings comes down to "which are you better at - keeping your vassals happy, or killing them when they're unhappy?"

I always see this argument, but it's a double-edged sword. With dukes, if at least some of them are gonna come back to your side with bribes, you are weakening the rebellion's powerbase, whereas with a king level vassal, if he doesn't care about your money (which is probably a huge sum after the AI has revoked all the titles it wants to max its demesne) then that's it. You have a pissed off dickhead that's lending 100% of his strength to a rebellion.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I keep my diplomacy high enough that giving a gift of gold to a Doux usually results in a 30 to 70 relation improvement and on inheritance most of my vassals have a positive opinion of me. I'm mainly worried about edge cases where I've pissed despot pissmypants off and a gift of gold plus a honorary title isn't enough to do the trick. With dukes this isnt much of a problem because a bunch of stubborn malcontents will have pitiable manpower and won't dare revolt once I've stripped away all the dukes who are in there with opinions of +30 and a bag of gold. I imagine a stubborn king or two (especially one of something big like Greece, Italy, Africa, Egypt or Syria, all title-dense and rich, can really ruin your day. Orthodoxy and Autocephaly means I can't wield the excommunication hammer in every case either.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

dogstile posted:

4gb of ram is what i've got in the PC i'm using now, it runs fine. Its not just the ram.

And also 4 GB is fine in most cases but it certainly isn't going to be an issue in Crusader Kings II.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Wait, why is Random McCourtier trying to kill one of my kids? All the current claims were bred out recently. You'd have to have something seriously wrong with you to want to whack my youngest daughter for no reason.

..oh.

Does the devilspawn chain still fire without SoA? I have a hard time imagining there is a breeding program that would coincidentally result in this unholy creature.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

I keep my diplomacy high enough that giving a gift of gold to a Doux usually results in a 30 to 70 relation improvement and on inheritance most of my vassals have a positive opinion of me. I'm mainly worried about edge cases where I've pissed despot pissmypants off and a gift of gold plus a honorary title isn't enough to do the trick. With dukes this isnt much of a problem because a bunch of stubborn malcontents will have pitiable manpower and won't dare revolt once I've stripped away all the dukes who are in there with opinions of +30 and a bag of gold. I imagine a stubborn king or two (especially one of something big like Greece, Italy, Africa, Egypt or Syria, all title-dense and rich, can really ruin your day. Orthodoxy and Autocephaly means I can't wield the excommunication hammer in every case either.

Does the Roman Empire keep the Byzantine's ability to revoke Duke-level titles without incurring Tyranny? If so the question of king titles becomes moot; never ever keep any of them. Ever.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
How do you vassalize holy orders? The Sons of Kaleva just manifested and they're a band of 11,000 heavy infantry that would be fantastic if it weren't for the 11.50 gold per month they cost.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Does the Roman Empire keep the Byzantine's ability to revoke Duke-level titles without incurring Tyranny? If so the question of king titles becomes moot; never ever keep any of them. Ever.
It does, which is very convenient and makes management considerably easier. I can't count the amount of times I've just revoked a duchy from some pisspot and given it to a friendlier vassal of his.

DrSunshine posted:

How do you vassalize holy orders? The Sons of Kaleva just manifested and they're a band of 11,000 heavy infantry that would be fantastic if it weren't for the 11.50 gold per month they cost.
If they behave like the orthodox brotherhood of the holy sepulchre they will at some point plonk a castle down in an empty holding slot somewhere in your realm. If you invite an heir or a claimant into your court, give them a barony and go to war with the order and win, your vassal should be the ruler and the title will be your vassal. Be aware that you won't get to hire the order's troops and 11.000 heavy infantry will spawn on their side to come wreck your poo poo. The Brotherhood made my life miserable with the amount of heavy cav they spawned and it was easily the most difficult war I'd had as Byzantium up to that point. Wasn't much of a choice though since they decided to build a barony in duchies I needed to own completely to make the Roman Empire and I didn't want to expel them because that seemed rude.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 8, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mailer posted:

Does the devilspawn chain still fire without SoA? I have a hard time imagining there is a breeding program that would coincidentally result in this unholy creature.

I don't know if he is a demon spawn, per say, but it is possible to have the voice of Satan whisper to you outside of SoA (similarly to how as Jesus can) and that would be the reason why he has all of those vices!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hambilderberglar posted:

It does, which is very convenient and makes management considerably easier. I can't count the amount of times I've just revoked a duchy from some pisspot and given it to a friendlier vassal of his.

If they behave like the orthodox brotherhood of the holy sepulchre they will at some point plonk a castle down in an empty holding slot somewhere in your realm. If you invite an heir or a claimant into your court, give them a barony and go to war with the order and win, your vassal should be the ruler and the title will be your vassal. Be aware that you won't get to hire the order's troops and 11.000 heavy infantry will spawn on their side to come wreck your poo poo. The Brotherhood made my life miserable with the amount of heavy cav they spawned and it was easily the most difficult war I'd had as Byzantium up to that point. Wasn't much of a choice though since they decided to build a barony in duchies I needed to own completely to make the Roman Empire and I didn't want to expel them because that seemed rude.

Well, that's no big problem. I've got about 30,000 heavy infantry retinues to come and wreck their poo poo, and something like 50,000 levies I can draw upon throughout the realm. I just want as much stuff on my side as I can muster when the Mongols come a-calling.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mailer posted:

Wait, why is Random McCourtier trying to kill one of my kids? All the current claims were bred out recently. You'd have to have something seriously wrong with you to want to whack my youngest daughter for no reason.

..oh.

Oh so he's gay so he's devilspawn :colbert:

croguy
Nov 25, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm surprised that with all those vices, homosexuality, intrigue, cowardice, and possession he actually manages to maintain a positive piety and prestige score.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Once they build a castle somewhere they will act as if they are part of that kingdom. If you are their de jure liege, are an emperor AND have the same culture as them, they should accept an offer to swear fealty.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

croguy posted:

I'm surprised that with all those vices, homosexuality, intrigue, cowardice, and possession he actually manages to maintain a positive piety and prestige score.

Only vices and cynicism cost piety, and the vices build up pretty fast if you get the event chain.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Whoever thought of including that event during vassal rebellions that gives them an extra lot of event troops is a moron. I had a game come to an end cause after my king died (32 years old) some random rear end claimant pressed a claim with roughly 500 men to my fresh on the thorne 1,500 men. Then the event happens and he gains an extra 2,500 troops. This is early game as well I don't have enough money to be throwing around on mercs and retinues. The game ended when every ended up pressing their random claim and in turn getting their own lot of event troops and it devolved into a twenty year never ending civil war which wasn't fun to play.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Shogunate posted:

Whoever thought of including that event during vassal rebellions that gives them an extra lot of event troops is a moron. I had a game come to an end cause after my king died (32 years old) some random rear end claimant pressed a claim with roughly 500 men to my fresh on the thorne 1,500 men. Then the event happens and he gains an extra 2,500 troops. This is early game as well I don't have enough money to be throwing around on mercs and retinues. The game ended when every ended up pressing their random claim and in turn getting their own lot of event troops and it devolved into a twenty year never ending civil war which wasn't fun to play.

The event troops are currently unbalanced; there's a patch coming out next week that will fix this.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Captain Novolin posted:

Is there a way for me, as a republic, to declare a successor for my family? Right now my heir is only a couple years younger than I am and I'm worried he'll die very shortly after, leaving me in the poo poo.

Give the "Designated Heir" honorary title to whoever you want to succeed you.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
For those playing "Ivar conquers the world" with TOG - who are you giving the spoils of war to? I'm hitting the demesne limit quickly and I haven't hit the point in the game yet where there are a lot of unlanded relatives to hand things off to.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
High-stewardship lowborn Norse/Norse dudes, ideally without Envious or Ambitious.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

For those playing "Ivar conquers the world" with TOG - who are you giving the spoils of war to? I'm hitting the demesne limit quickly and I haven't hit the point in the game yet where there are a lot of unlanded relatives to hand things off to.

Look for non-ruler young men in your realm with "Content".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shogunate posted:

Hell, even random peasant uprisings can get those. If you don't put them down right away they can get a reinforcement event and end up with an army that rivals your maximum levy.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Worst-case you can invite Holy Men (at cost of 5 piety) or Nobles (at the cost of a scaling amount of gold depending on how much gold) to get a randomly generated character.

I usually opt for Holy Men because 5 piety is cheap and it doesn't scale unlike the gold cost.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Moon Monster posted:

Hell, even random peasant uprisings can get those. If you don't put them down right away they can get a reinforcement event and end up with an army that rivals your maximum levy.

The Loyalists Flock To Your Banner event is basically the flip side of this (and similarly benefits from the bad event-troops scaling) - but I don't know offhand if they're equally likely in code.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Loyalists Flock To Your Banner event is basically the flip side of this (and similarly benefits from the bad event-troops scaling) - but I don't know offhand if they're equally likely in code.

I've never actually seen that one so either it's rarer, based on some condition I'm not filling, or I'm just unlucky.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've gotten that a couple times but usually it gave me no more than a few hundred guys.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I got a thousand free dudes when I as a Scottish Catholic Duke rebelled against the Norse Ivaring King of Scots (Scotland was still mostly Scottish culture and Catholic). So maybe it depends on revolt risk, culture and religion? Before my rebellion there were regular Catholic uprisings.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm going to guess Loyalists tend to appear if your vassals love you more than the pretender...which usually precludes them from starting a civil war in the first place, hence the rarity. :shrug:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Check the event files to see what the conditions are.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I always see this argument, but it's a double-edged sword. With dukes, if at least some of them are gonna come back to your side with bribes, you are weakening the rebellion's powerbase, whereas with a king level vassal, if he doesn't care about your money (which is probably a huge sum after the AI has revoked all the titles it wants to max its demesne) then that's it. You have a pissed off dickhead that's lending 100% of his strength to a rebellion.

Oh, it's absolutely double-edged; neither way is the "optimal" way, IMHO. But I find that even an Ambitious King can be kept out of rebellion trouble with enough cash, and by the time you have multiple King vassals you almost certainly have enough cash.

One other thing to keep in mind when discussing rebellious vassals - their likelihood of actually taking up arms against you is dependent on relative troop strengths. Your retinue troops - and hired mercenaries, incidentally - factor in to this relation, so that even if you never send them into combat, having a large retinue army can be helpful to cow your enemies... or, if you can afford the expense (and, you know, have them), calling up the Varangian Guard.

There are absolutely positives and negatives to both methods; I prefer vassal kings, but that's because I don't have the patience to deal with the several hundred dukes (note: may be an exaggeration) my Scandanavian Empire currently controls.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Check the event files to see what the conditions are.

From what I can tell from the vanilla event files (the interaction between the events is kind of tangled):

Rebels Flock spawns 6 units with a match multiplier of 0.075.
Loyalists Flock spawns 6 units with a match multiplier of 0.1.
Great Numbers of Rebels Flock spawns 6 units with a match multiplier of 0.125.

If a revolting faction is more powerful than the liege, there's a flat 25% chance of Loyalists Flock firing when the faction revolts.

If the revolting faction has less than 75% of the liege's power, there's a 50% chance of Rebels Flock firing when the faction revolts.
(30% for large number of rebels, 20% for normal numbers, except for the Independence faction, which has a 15% chance of large numbers and a 35% chance of normal numbers)
If the revolting faction has between 75% and 150% of the liege's power, there's a 25% chance of Rebels Flock firing when the faction revolts.
(5% for Great Numbers, 20% for normal)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I just held everything as Ivar until he died. You can have dozens of holdings without losing money, and you get the full troop result out of them. Last game I didn't hand anything off until I had fully conquered Ireland.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Oh, it's absolutely double-edged; neither way is the "optimal" way, IMHO. But I find that even an Ambitious King can be kept out of rebellion trouble with enough cash, and by the time you have multiple King vassals you almost certainly have enough cash.

One other thing to keep in mind when discussing rebellious vassals - their likelihood of actually taking up arms against you is dependent on relative troop strengths. Your retinue troops - and hired mercenaries, incidentally - factor in to this relation, so that even if you never send them into combat, having a large retinue army can be helpful to cow your enemies... or, if you can afford the expense (and, you know, have them), calling up the Varangian Guard.

There are absolutely positives and negatives to both methods; I prefer vassal kings, but that's because I don't have the patience to deal with the several hundred dukes (note: may be an exaggeration) my Scandanavian Empire currently controls.

I've always assumed that your demesne was the main trigger for rebellions. It's good to know that retinues affect it too.

I had major trouble doing the Roman empire, even with only duke vassals and diligently bribing/revoking just because of the sheer number of them. I think there reaches a point where even in that situation, it's easier to introduce the small to medium sized kingdoms into your realm, especially when everything has dejure drifted to you and thus under your crown auth.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not homophobic. I've got gay dukes. :v:

The really odd part is that he wanted to kill one of my daughters that just turned 16. He has a single claim for Ossory, which I don't hold and haven't for around 150 years. I didn't imprison him because I wanted to see if this was some sort of event chain. If it was a chain that started when he got landed I'd grant him a duchy immediately just to watch it play out.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mailer posted:

I'm not homophobic. I've got gay dukes. :v:

The really odd part is that he wanted to kill one of my daughters that just turned 16. He has a single claim for Ossory, which I don't hold and haven't for around 150 years. I didn't imprison him because I wanted to see if this was some sort of event chain. If it was a chain that started when he got landed I'd grant him a duchy immediately just to watch it play out.

Nope. Certain traits reduce NPCs' hidden "rationality" stat, and irrational characters often plot against random people for no reason. Possessed and Lunatic both come with a large penalty to rationality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallboarLittlehand
Sep 7, 2011
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this since it involves a mod but I asked the creator of the mod and haven't got a reply yet. In the mod he introduced new coastal provinces in West Africa but didn't attach ports to them so the ships spawn within the land of the province itself and are thus unusable. Would there be an easy way to fix this without destroying my current save?

• Locked thread