Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

One solution to make settlement building more appealing would be to restrict NPC spawning to planetside, and maybe shift some essential components to their shop, or make them some crucial part of the tech tree. If they also included a requirement to feed and keep them protected, perhaps with mercenary NPCs, it would make base building a lot more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rookersh posted:

I'm not saying he isn't. Just that everything he's complained about can be explained by "it's a beta" as the devs have every one of those things listed as things they want to improve upon.

I actually didn't know they were working on settlements though, have a link for that?
Finding, helping, and building up settlements is part of the game's pitch description.

quote:

Settle down and farm the land, hop from planet to planet claiming resources, or make regular visits to populated settlements, taking on jobs and earning a living.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Higher tiers could possibly let us build analogues to the USMC defense bots to defend our towns.

EDIT: \/ yeah, this is currently an issue for me. Due to a bug with that UFO (it's literally invincible for me) I'm pretty much playing Terraria with the same character on multiple worlds.

They've already made steps to make early game more interesting (like moving the refinery to an earlier tier.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 8, 2013

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I actually liked the weapon variety in Terraria. Swords, flails, aimable spears, guns, explosives, shitloads of spells. Only bummer was that melee was kinda useless later on. In Starbound melee is the main thing right now so it's pretty boring. Maybe it's just because of the "caveman tier", but devs should remember that the beginning of the game must be as fun as possible, otherwise people will not play it "to get to the fun bits".

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Mokinokaro posted:

Higher tiers could possibly let us build analogues to the USMC defense bots to defend our towns.

You can spawn whole settlements including guards and shopkeepers if you're patient rich and willing.

Although currently it doesn't form much of a settlement so much as a collection of guards citizens and merchants who happen to live together in your ivory tower.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

There are no hylotl settlements because the ocean biome currently doesn't exist and they live exclusively underwater.

For all you viewers at home that means that there is going to be underwater enemies as well before they're finished.

Built by someone but hey, I'd love to see this in-game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Musluk posted:

Built by someone but hey, I'd love to see this in-game.

Put it half underwater and I could see it as a proper fishman settlement.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Asian style skyscrapers that are half in and half out of the water would be baller.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

babies havin rabies posted:

4. There is no point or benefit to building or settling a planet. Don't lie to me, you may have a few bonsai gardens here and there, but really you live out of your ship, which is the same shape/size as everybody else's, and all of your important stuff is in there because it can be. Add some kind of settlement mechanic, let me start an Apex settlement Dwarf Fortress style or something which I then have to defend from Florans or whoever.

This is certainly a huge issue with the current build, but I don't think there's any reason to worry. Right now, it's kinda pointless to build anywhere because unless you write down crazy coordinates, you can only save one planet. So you'll just lose everything. But the game records every planet you go to, so even if all they did was surface that info to you, giving you a Planet History, that would go a very long way to making building meaningful. And they plan on that, and there's no reason to think they won't implement it.

If plants could grow while you were offworld, or you could automate other tasks, it'd be even more worthwhile.

Having all of your resource/crafting buildings be unlimited fuel, featherweight furniture pieces is boring too and has been all done before (Minecraft, Terraria).

Not sure what this sentence means, little more explanation?

A lot of those are not beta problems though, and that's my biggest concern. All of the core gameplay mechanics are already in the game.

Are you sure about this? I thought they'd specifically said the core gameplay mechanics are not all in there and won't be until the next phase of beta. That's what they've said, anyway; as with all betas, you never know what the end product'll be. I have hope that a number of your (very valid) concerns will be addressed, but I certainly can't assume they will be.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I really want planet bookmarking and naming.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

There are no hylotl settlements because the ocean biome currently doesn't exist and they live exclusively underwater.

For all you viewers at home that means that there is going to be underwater enemies as well before they're finished.

I was curious about this and was thinking it was something like that (lack of hylotls). Doesn't help that almost no one is playing one currently either, it seems.

But yeah, a lot of complaints boil down to "you're playing an incomplete beta." And the devs are not beyond scratching or reworking huge systems. The upcoming patch is changing how armor/damage works, for example. And all the "why can't we do more scifi stuff!" complaints sound like they'll be coming as bonuses for reaching higher tiers.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Clocks posted:

I was curious about this and was thinking it was something like that (lack of hylotls). Doesn't help that almost no one is playing one currently either, it seems.

Well they're very hideous and uncool.

I mean it's pretty obvious avian is the coolest race.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Not sure what this sentence means, little more explanation?

Yeah I think a lot of my points are "beta problems", but I should elaborate on this one because it's the one that I feel is most unlikely to be fixed as development continues.

In Minecraft and Terraria, all of your crafting and actions is accomplished using this easily-movable, overly compact "furniture" which may as well just not be there. Everything could (may as well be) thrown into the crafting menu and the stone furnace could be decorative. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with settlements, but I guess I feel these "facilities" need to have some weight and importance to them. There's simply no point when you can pick up your infinite fuel furnace, crafting table, and other "facilities", and plop it down in whatever cave you're in whenever you need it. Once NPC settlements are easier to find (or create), make these buildings that you can use or which are part of the larger economy/quest structure. I think it would go along way towards making crafting feel more significant than just getting the resources you need and clicking on a menu. Skyrim's system for this isn't perfect, but is a good direction to head in.

Or, as I said, just make it super convenient and get rid of this stuff and throw all the crafting into the crafting menu.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ easy solution, instead of building crafting stations build new tools that just sit in your inventory and add crafting options. Settlement structures and NPCs could then be used to automate some things.

Motherfucker posted:

I really want planet bookmarking and naming.

If we can't name planets (since, well, some are settled already) some way of bookmarking them with tags could be handy ("farm," "glitch castle, etc.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Overdrift posted:

One solution to make settlement building more appealing would be to restrict NPC spawning to planetside, and maybe shift some essential components to their shop, or make them some crucial part of the tech tree. If they also included a requirement to feed and keep them protected, perhaps with mercenary NPCs, it would make base building a lot more interesting.
Sadly, it currently costs 600 fuel for a round trip between your home base planet and anywhere that isn't in the same star system as it. So you'd need to cut down a lot of trees to actually use your home base.

Maybe if you could A: grow plants while not on the planet, and B: grow something to process into useful quantities of fuel, but as is...

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

:3:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh my god. :3:

Also, eventually they're gonna have to put all those cats in. I sure want me some cattes.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
How do you use the morphball tech? I've tried every combination of buttons I can think of and it's just not doing anything.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Most techs are a double-tap in a direction.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Nastyman posted:

How do you use the morphball tech? I've tried every combination of buttons I can think of and it's just not doing anything.

Might be F like the mech.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Someone really hosed up if it's not double tap down.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zereth posted:

Sadly, it currently costs 600 fuel for a round trip between your home base planet and anywhere that isn't in the same star system as it. So you'd need to cut down a lot of trees to actually use your home base.

Maybe if you could A: grow plants while not on the planet, and B: grow something to process into useful quantities of fuel, but as is...

I'd be very surprised if there weren't more efficient fuels available later on. There's clearly huge swathes of content and features not in the current build, but what there is already is very exciting. Declaring the game an unqualified victory or disaster right now is just daft, but a lot of the complaints being leveled at it can be truthfully and accurately answered with 'that's coming in a few updates time'.

The game isn't likely to be 'finished' for at least another six months, and they're planning at least one full year of content updates after that anyway.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 8, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Daztek posted:

It was, thanks!

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Daztek posted:

F to turn into a ball, left click to place bombs. :getin:
Edit: You can also do a tiny little jump with space.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Yeah I think a lot of my points are "beta problems", but I should elaborate on this one because it's the one that I feel is most unlikely to be fixed as development continues.

In Minecraft and Terraria, all of your crafting and actions is accomplished using this easily-movable, overly compact "furniture" which may as well just not be there. Everything could (may as well be) thrown into the crafting menu and the stone furnace could be decorative. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with settlements, but I guess I feel these "facilities" need to have some weight and importance to them. There's simply no point when you can pick up your infinite fuel furnace, crafting table, and other "facilities", and plop it down in whatever cave you're in whenever you need it. Once NPC settlements are easier to find (or create), make these buildings that you can use or which are part of the larger economy/quest structure. I think it would go along way towards making crafting feel more significant than just getting the resources you need and clicking on a menu. Skyrim's system for this isn't perfect, but is a good direction to head in.

Or, as I said, just make it super convenient and get rid of this stuff and throw all the crafting into the crafting menu.

So you'd have entire rooms/buildings needed to create things, instead of single placeable items? Sort of like Terraria's "room" concept, except instead of spawning NPCs, the room itself would have an in-game function. That's actually a pretty cool idea. I'd be all for it. If the wiring system is elaborate enough, players will be able to design and create things like that on their own - that sort of thing already exists in Minecraft, if you weren't aware. People build factory complexes and automated farms.

But I suspect you're also looking for "facilities" that would enable you to create new things that you couldn't before, not just do old stuff better. Yes, that would be very cool as well.

I'll be happy even if there isn't any big gameplay advantage to building, though, as I imagine many others will.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Holy crap the demand for this game must be huge. I can think of no other reason for my download speeds to be... well...

It's almost like plunging back into the glorious days of dial-up. Maybe I should wait a couple weeks before trying to download this.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
GOTY.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Maybe there'd be more of an incentive to build and colonize if you could have your colonists gather resources for you. Get your little town set up, bring in some folks to build and expand the village, then have them farm and mine and hunt and gather/refine fuel and crap like that. Wouldn't keep people from drifting and never building if they didn't want to, but would create some small incentive if you were so inclined.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dominic White posted:

I'd be very surprised if there weren't more efficient fuels available later on. There's clearly huge swathes of content and features not in the current build, but what there is already is very exciting. Declaring the game an unqualified victory or disaster right now is just daft, but a lot of the complaints being leveled at it can be truthfully and accurately answered with 'that's coming in a few updates time'.

The game isn't likely to be 'finished' for at least another six months, and they're planning at least one full year of content updates after that anyway.

Not forgetting that coal is already a more efficient (and usually more plentiful) fuel than wood.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

The devs need to continue to add much, much more stuff like this. This is more impressive to me than any 2D castle somebody could possibly build.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

4. There is no point or benefit to building or settling a planet. Don't lie to me, you may have a few bonsai gardens here and there, but really you live out of your ship, which is the same shape/size as everybody else's, and all of your important stuff is in there because it can be. Add some kind of settlement mechanic, let me start an Apex settlement Dwarf Fortress style or something which I then have to defend from Florans or whoever. Having all of your resource/crafting buildings be unlimited fuel, featherweight furniture pieces is boring too and has been all done before (Minecraft, Terraria).
I never knew that I wanted something so bad until now. This would be incredible. Being able to form proper settlements would make picking a home planet actually have a reason.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

I hope the baby monsters aren't hostile. That way we're the real monsters :unsmigghh:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nomikos posted:

I hope the baby monsters aren't hostile. That way we're the real monsters :unsmigghh:

I always suspected when I was gunning down entire towns of apex.

The way they build their little complemented houses made me feel like a school shooter.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 8, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

I'd be very surprised if there weren't more efficient fuels available later on.

Maybe ship upgrades come with a more efficient drive? That's how I'd handle it at least (or tie more efficient drives with new sector unlocks.)

EDIT: Play Floran. That way genocide is a cultural tradition.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

There should totally be an npc band who sits on a stage in an apex tavern and plays the star-wars cantina theme.

quote:

X: 1
T: StarWars Cantina (Main)
Z: Nightwind of Windfola
G: Movie Soundtrack
I: Lute
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
Q: 1/4=144
K: F

Ad Ad Ad/2A/2 z_A/2=A/2-|A/2_A/2=A G/2_G/2=G F3/2D/2 z2|Ad Ad Ad/2A/2 z_A/2=A/2|G2 zG c/2BA3/2G|
Ad Ad Ad/2A/2 z_A/2=A/2|c2- c/2B/2A/2G/2 F3/2D/2 z2|D_E/2=E2/3F2/3G2/3_A2/3=A2/3B2/3=B/2 c2|_ed _A/2=A3/2 F2 z2|
z/2af/2 az3/2af/2 az|z/2af/2 _a=a f3/2d/2 z2|z/2af/2 az3/2af/2 az|z/2af/2 _a=a g3/2c/2 z2|
z/2af/2 az3/2af/2 az|z/2af/2 _a=a f3/2d/2 z2|_B/2d/2f =B/2d/2f _a=a/2_g2-_g/2|d/2f/2b/2c'/2 _a/2=a3/2 fz f

X: 2
T: StarWars Cantina (Support)
Z: Nightwind of Windfola
G: Movie Soundtrack
I: Lute
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
Q: 1/4=144
K: F

FA FA FA/2F/2 zE/2F/2-|F/2E/2F E/2_E/2=E D3/2A,/2 z2|FA FA FA/2F/2 zE/2F/2|E2 zE G3/2F3/2E|
FA FA FA/2F/2 zE/2F/2|G2 z2 D3/2A,/2 z2|B,4 F,2 D,2|G,2 C,2 F,4-|
F,/2fd/2 fz3/2fd/2 fz|z/2fd/2 =ef d3/2A/2 z2|z/2fd/2 fz3/2fd/2 fz|z/2fd/2 ef e3/2=g/2 z2|
z/2fd/2 fz3/2fd/2 fz|z/2fd/2 ef d3/2A/2 z2|_B2 =B2 c2 d2|G2 c3z c

Save that as 'star wars cantina.abc' with notepad and it works fine ingame.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 8, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
I kinda spazzed out and hit a bunch of buttons, and along with throwing away my sword I somehow zoomed in to 3x, and I can't get back out past 2x in the options.

Any chance someone here knows which button is the zoom button?

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Is there any good way to get gold? I can barely find any.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Tiy posted:

So the big balance update is coming really soon,

But we’ve managed to squeeze some other things in too.

The XP bug is hopefully fixed.

A new baby monster variant is added, we’ll be using this in the future to do some nifty growth/evolution things..

And a bunch of new weapons and items will be making it in too, maybe even a new boss.. we’ll see if we manage that one in time.

Src: http://playstarbound.com/other-bits-and-pieces-coming-with-the-balance-update/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jastiger posted:

How important is the threat level? I see a lot that are 6 and 7. I have no armor or metal working so I'm scared.

Also how do you keep warm? Besides dropping fires ever 5 minutes.

^^^^ Thanks for that. That UFO beat my rear end. Like in one hit. I'd port down and immediately die.

Also how do you pass time faster?

The easiest way to beat the UFO (they're working on fixing damage/armor so don't think of it as cheating, just avoiding some bullshit) is to go to a high level avian ship and summon it there. They'll ignore it until it kills one of them, then all the pirates will attack it at once, killing it in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Replying to someones list of reasonable complaints with "Ugh, its just a beta, dude!!!" is beyond useless. The whole point of the beta is to discuss what works and what doesn't, even if those things are core mechanics. We're super lucky that Tiy and co. seem to be pulling a reverse notch and are actually willing to completely overhaul big systems, so instead of saying "dont complain, itll be fixed later!! beta!!" instead discuss the reasons why stuff works or doesn't!

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 8, 2013

• Locked thread