Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty rad soundtrack, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah I saw Tetsuo recently and it was amazing. I need to see the sequels.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Both Tetsuos (haven't seen the third, it looks really bad) are weird to me. I feel that they're good movies with a lot going on for them, but they just feel far too wrong and unpleasant for me to be able to enjoy watching them at all.

The only Shin'ya Tsukamoto movie I've seen besides them is Tokyo Fist, and I liked that more. It's violent and ugly as well, but in a completely different way.

e: Body Hammer is an amazing title for a movie though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Body Hammer is awesome, Bullet Man is a movie you need to see for yourself to decide how you feel about it.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I just bought this in a one-sheet to hang in a blank space in my theatre room:

Zero regrets.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That poster indicated a much better move then we got.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is nothing short of a goddamn masterpiece.

I guess I should say that I agree with this statement, but masterpieces can be horrendous too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Slim Killington posted:

Zero regrets.
Oh look, it's Ricardo Montalbán as He-Man.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I have never watched Tetsuo: The Iron Man, but this song just put Tetsuo pretty high on my list of movies I need to see soon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And Trent Reznor did the theme to The Bullet Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

I watched this one at a friend's house a few years ago. I already had a headache that night and the movie just amplified it a bunch.

I don't remember too much about the movie now except for there being a lot of really surreal, disturbing body horror in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

axleblaze posted:

That poster indicated a much better move then we got.

They had to call it "the live-action motion picture" on the poster to make sure people knew the actors were real.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

They had to call it "the live-action motion picture" on the poster to make sure people knew the actors were real.

I once watched that movie on TV and the station identification bumper actually claimed the film as "starring He-Man and Skeletor" instead of Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

33: We've survived highschool and sorority, what classes did we take?

Proper Mirror Cleaning 101 (failed)

Basic Chiropractic Techniques 101 and 102

(the 'world's first comedy horror movie' my butt!)

Bio-mechanical engineering

(The Class of 1999)

Comparative Religion

Techniques for the Advanced Beautician

the Legal and Ethical Implications of Applications of the Foot to the Face

(Due to injuries to the actors during filming, the main villain changes twice in this movie.)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ShufflerZero posted:

Bio-mechanical engineering

(The Class of 1999)

Japanese poster Pam Grier has her titties hanging out. :pervert:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Walking through the lobby of a theater near me, I did a huge double take:

They were indeed showing the first movie, and I'm kind of amazed I didn't know about it until I saw that poster.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Slim Killington posted:

Zero regrets.

*puts it on the wall and then runs hands up and down Dolph's bod* mmmm

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ShufflerZero posted:

(the 'world's first comedy horror movie' my butt!)

Really want to put that laugh count to the test.

DNS posted:

*puts it on the wall and then runs hands up and down Dolph's bod* mmmm

Hahaha

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Really want to put that laugh count to the test.

Hahaha

It has its moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srupvrTqRpY

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ahahaha this rules

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
IMO Return of the Living Dead is still the best horror comedy of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO9ZKzF9EmM&sns=em

It's a near perfect mix of horror and comedy, and Tar Man is a work of practical effect genius.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ahahaha this rules
Starring Richard Belzer as the killer, no less. It has the most insane written-yourself-into-a-corner ending ever filmed where they clearly had no idea what they were going to do.

Also, Malvert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L6QC8LghpE

Guys, you should pick up the double-bill Student Bodies/Jekyll and Hyde... Together Again Blu-Ray. You will lose your goddamn minds.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Ez posted:

They recently gave him his own spinoff sequel and it was so confusing. They didn't even mention Spiderman once!

I'd heard about this film, oscar bait blah de blah but the thing that made me go wait what?? is who wrote it.

Danny Strong, man that name sounds familiar, and a trip to IMDB later tells me it's this guy:

Jonathon. Danny Strong, who I've known for years as ^^that guy, has won an Emmy for his writing work. That's cool as hell, and good for him.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

cool kids inc. posted:

I'd heard about this film, oscar bait blah de blah but the thing that made me go wait what?? is who wrote it.

Danny Strong, man that name sounds familiar, and a trip to IMDB later tells me it's this guy:

Jonathon. Danny Strong, who I've known for years as ^^that guy, has won an Emmy for his writing work. That's cool as hell, and good for him.

Oh of course! That guy!

(Guys, who's that guy?)

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

He randomly shows up in Buffy (or at least the first two seasons, I gave up after that), and he's a no-talent hack in Mad Men that gets hired anyways due to office politics.

I'm pretty shocked he wrote The Butler.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm pretty sure he sticks with the show at least through graduation, because I remember he gave the speech that their graduating class had the lowest fatality rate of any class in Sunnydale history. And I think he comes up again later as part of a trio that gets way too deep into bad poo poo.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

cool kids inc. posted:

It only seems like oscar bait because of how it's packaged and marketed, but the film itself subverts that mold quite a bit. It's worth an honest shot.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Maarak posted:

It only seems like oscar bait because of how it's packaged and marketed, but the film itself subverts that mold quite a bit. It's worth an honest shot.

Fair enough. I'll give it a shot when it drops on Amazon or Hulu or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lotish posted:

I'm pretty sure he sticks with the show at least through graduation, because I remember he gave the speech that their graduating class had the lowest fatality rate of any class in Sunnydale history. And I think he comes up again later as part of a trio that gets way too deep into bad poo poo.

He shows up all the way in season 7.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

Is this the same like Wentworth Miller from "Prison Break" writing Stoker?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Yeah, I first found out and went "whoa, Jonathon" when I saw him onstage accepting a Golden Globe for writing "Game Change". He's also writing the next two Hunger Games movies.

As for Stoker, that movie is really carried by the direction, not so much the script, but good on Wentworth Miller anyway.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah, I first found out and went "whoa, Jonathon" when I saw him onstage accepting a Golden Globe for writing "Game Change". He's also writing the next two Hunger Games movies.

As for Stoker, that movie is really carried by the direction, not so much the script, but good on Wentworth Miller anyway.

I think the script for 'Stoker' always had a certain tone in mind, and they were lucky to have a Director who totally understood that. In the wrong hands it could've come off way worse. It's one of the aspects that I think doesn't work in 'Jennifer's Body'. I think it's a pretty good script, and the direction is gorgeous, but I'm not sure the tone was right.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I think the script for 'Stoker' always had a certain tone in mind, and they were lucky to have a Director who totally understood that. In the wrong hands it could've come off way worse. It's one of the aspects that I think doesn't work in 'Jennifer's Body'. I think it's a pretty good script, and the direction is gorgeous, but I'm not sure the tone was right.

Jennifer's Body was terribly cast and acted.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fat Lou posted:

Well, it was 5.5 hours long, but the distributor is forcing it to be only 4.5 hours long and in two parts.

making a single art film that is 5.5 hours long may be the pinnacle of pretentiousness

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

sportsgenius86 posted:

making a single art film that is 5.5 hours long may be the pinnacle of pretentiousness

I'm not a fan of this post and I'm not sure I even understand what it means.

Do you mean self-indulgent?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Indulgent is almost always the better word because you don't have to explain what a film is a pretense to.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Warhol made art films that ran for 8 hours so it's not really the pinnacle either.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Satantango's 7.5 hours and that movie's dope as hell. Not in some "oh, how ballsy, he made an eight hour movie!" way either, it's just a really good movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Satantango is 7.5 hours that doesn't feel like 7.5 hours.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Making way too much movie is also a fairly mainstream move at this point, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Indulgent is almost always the better word because you don't have to explain what a film is a pretense to.

I like ostentation. Especially since people throw dumb temper tantrums whenever someone says "pretentious" in some form.