Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Varinn posted:

Replying to someones list of reasonable complaints with "Ugh, its just a beta, dude!!!" is beyond useless. The whole point of the beta is to discuss what works and what doesn't, even if those things are core mechanics. We're super lucky that Tiy and co. seem to be pulling a reverse notch and are actually willing to completely overhaul big systems, so instead of saying "dont complain, itll be fixed later!! beta!!" instead discuss the reasons why stuff works or doesn't!

:butt: :butt: :butt: :butt: :butt: Beta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Mystery Prize posted:

What am I supposed to do to get past Tier 2? The armor is worthless and I don't know what I'm looking for to advance.

Mokinokaro posted:

You have to build a bot, iirc. Check the metalworking station as I think it sets you on the right path (I know a brain extractor tool is involved.)

The bot was a super tough boss for me to fight, I eventually just had to desperately encase him in dirt and beat him to death through the wall, because both the steel weapon and steel armour you can realistically make when you want to fight him are pretty much useless.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

What am I supposed to do to get past Tier 2? The armor is worthless and I don't know what I'm looking for to advance.

Right now the best option is "mine for gold until you cry, and the second you get enough gold for armor, immediately turn it into racial steel armor" but the wipe patch coming soon is also going to rebalance ore and add random armor loot, so that should get much easier.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Ess posted:

The bot was a super tough boss for me to fight, I eventually just had to desperately encase him in dirt and beat him to death through the wall, because both the steel weapon and steel armour you can realistically make when you want to fight him are pretty much useless.

Yeah its currently hosed.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Varinn posted:

but the wipe patch coming soon is also going to rebalance ore and add random armor loot, so that should get much easier.
Randomly generated armor isn't happening next patch, nor is it a feature consideration thing yet. Forward it to Tiyuri.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Randomly generated armor isn't happening next patch, nor is it a feature consideration thing yet. Forward it to Tiyuri.

Randomly generated armor actually sounds pretty rad...

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Varinn posted:

It is when the core mechanic is "theres infinite worlds!" and all the worlds function exactly the same.

Planet diversity isn't a mechanic. Things that make up diversity in a meaningful way are environmental hazards, of which there are already a few- the most prominent at present being temperature, but others include stalactites, buzzsaws, electrical traps, toxic lakes and my personal bane, the Big Sudden Cliff. The way those environmental hazards impede you- generally by threatening you with death- are core mechanics. The planets could use more diverse environmental hazards but those hazards themselves, from a perspective of core mechanics, are already present.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

poo poo, I got posts in this thread mixed up with actual proposed features, haha.

Reiley posted:

Planet diversity isn't a mechanic. Things that make up diversity in a meaningful way are environmental hazards, of which there are already a few- the most prominent at present being temperature, but others include stalactites, buzzsaws, electrical traps, toxic lakes and my personal bane, the Big Sudden Cliff. The way those environmental hazards impede you- generally by threatening you with death- are core mechanics. The planets could use more diverse environmental hazards but those hazards themselves, from a perspective of core mechanics, are already present.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about, though! There are waaay too few of them, and they absolutely do not need to be "hazards", necessarily, although that makes them the most relevant obv. Temperature isn't really a great feature at the moment, either you die too fast or you can ignore it, with a very small sweet spot I've only hit once where I had just enough cold resist to travel a fair amount before setting up a fire and a tent and resting/heating up. And stalactites, electric blocks, and buzzsaws are generally dungeon feautres!

I just think the planets need stuff that makes me specifically remember each biome, other than aesthetically. Because, on another note, trees on ice planets RULE

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 8, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Extra Crispy posted:

Do we have a 4-pack thread for this hidden somewhere? I bought one and gave away 2 copies, and I have one left, for freeeeeeeee.....

If you still have that free copy, I need one for my girlfriend.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I think one thing that we can all agree on is that that loving laugh during Chucklefish's logo on start up needs to go asap.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
thread is moving too fast to follow discussion.

I think I'm going to wait a month before reinstalling this.

Current talk about biomes: All I'd ask for at this point are for bigger lakes and more underwater type enemies. I don't want to be able to get everything from one planet. Underwater plays different enough that it could be interesting.

Alright, Santa, I know your elves are hard at work with this game, so I thought I'd send you my wishlist. After all, I don't think I'm on the naughty list. I never hoped the game to be Elite or Eve or SimLife. FTL without ships, maybe. I've played a lot of brickmining games and this one could be the best one with some changes. I have never played one that made the operations so little hassle.

My problem's with the combat. Or really, outfitting myself for combat.
First off, it all seems rather opaque. In terraria your armor rating just added up from your equipment, in here I keep getting just 10 armor whether I'm wearing a silver suit or if I substitute in a snow jacket. I can't tell whether there's more to the armor than just upgrading through the metals or what kind of weapon variety exists.
I mean, the difficulty progression was basically getting one-shotted on level ten till I read you can buy guns from avian pirates and then looking up a code for a planet with avian pirates, then the ufo was trivial but first planet in the beta sector massacres me. I have found ONE tech in all my playing. As far as I can tell you just buy new guns and they basically are either spray and pray type or slow-but-powerful and they don't have all the different abilities like Terraria guns (bullets and arrows that can be crafted to do different things, spells that have different spreads, cool brewable potions etc)

So the progression is either you trot and trot through random planets hoping to find new useful things or you look up coordinates and then just go nab them.
Also, dungeons don't really seem to net you much - once you've cleared it once you're not going to need to clear another one. Respawning enemies and making some of the items more than decoration I guess would help.

Yknow what got me excited for that kind of thing in Terraria and minecraft mods?
Drops I can't do anything with yet, crafting recipes I can't make anything from yet, it all gave me a reason to keep exploring and fighting.
Just a hint of what COULD be possible, what WILL happen, if I kept playing things right.
In terraria using the guide and maybe a wiki I could make a semblance of a plan from where the biomes were and what I could expect from them. "Okay, this environment drops spores and has enemies that drop stingers, that's just what I need to make this armor, NEXT STOP". But any biome could have anything, enemies rarely drop interesting things (all I have ever gotten is a surf sword from the poo dungeon and ONE hardened scale). Some foresight abilities and more unique drops from different biomes would be nice.

Maybe some it's addressed and I'm dense and haven't noticed, but usually with these games I use a wiki to see what might happen. So far everyone playing is completely loving illiterate and makes all their guides as videos instead of writing anything down that I can reference.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh boy! Page three of Varinn thread-making GBS threads :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah, that reminds me, a QOL feature I hope we can get down the line is something along the same lines as the Guide from terraria. It's pretty low priority until a majority of content is in, but something that says "You have this but if you had THIS too...!!" makes finding new things super exciting.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Should we make a list of known issues, planned features, and changes being worked on? To put in the OP? To let us laugh at relentless shitposters that can't even loving read the OP?

The armor/weapon/level system overhaul should definitely be at the top of the list, since that tends to have the most people complaining about it. Also the ore rebalance, that's a pretty big deal too, what with the gold/platinum bottlenecks.

fake edit: i should post faster.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Rita Repulsa posted:

My problem's with the combat. Or really, outfitting myself for combat.
First off, it all seems rather opaque. In terraria your armor rating just added up from your equipment, in here I keep getting just 10 armor whether I'm wearing a silver suit or if I substitute in a snow jacket. I can't tell whether there's more to the armor than just upgrading through the metals or what kind of weapon variety exists.
I mean, the difficulty progression was basically getting one-shotted on level ten till I read you can buy guns from avian pirates and then looking up a code for a planet with avian pirates, then the ufo was trivial but first planet in the beta sector massacres me. I have found ONE tech in all my playing. As far as I can tell you just buy new guns and they basically are either spray and pray type or slow-but-powerful and they don't have all the different abilities like Terraria guns (bullets and arrows that can be crafted to do different things, spells that have different spreads, cool brewable potions etc)

The armour issue is being addressed in the next patch. At the moment the system is... kind of tricky.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Varinn posted:

Yeah, that reminds me, a QOL feature I hope we can get down the line is something along the same lines as the Guide from terraria. It's pretty low priority until a majority of content is in, but something that says "You have this but if you had THIS too...!!" makes finding new things super exciting.

This will sort of be in the final for sure. NPCs are going to be able to give you quests and the currently brief tutorial quests are getting expanded as well.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
X 42140079 Y 55188457
Beta Alice 119 I ddddddd
TL20 Moon planet with Avian sky pirates to left of spawn (pretty close, even!)
There’s also a Gravity Neutralizer tech in a chest a ways to the left.

On that Starbound Coordinates google docs thing, there's this. I can't find the system at all??

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I just went there and it's exactly as advertised. Make sure you're in the beta sector.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Randomly generated armor actually sounds pretty rad...

Not if it's as bad as the randomly generated weapons :v:

Anyway I'm hopeful for this game. As cool as many of the features were in terraria remember that the bunch of them weren't even in on release. As far as features go beta Starbound is way further along than terraria's original release was (wasn't the jungle added after?). The most unfun thing is the difficulty curve which is being fixed.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Do you have the beta quadrant unlocked already? Cause all systems starting with beta are not accessible until you have defeated the UFO and crafted the navigation upgrade.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Anyway I'm hopeful for this game. As cool as many of the features were in terraria remember that the bunch of them weren't even in on release.

I remember the first Terraria beta, back when it was still using Final Fantasy sprite-edits. There were prats declaring that the game would never change, that promises of better art were lies and that the entire thing was a scam. It's pretty much exactly what we're seeing here.

The game is still heavily in development. There's a lot of stuff coming in the next few patches, including a complete rework of the combat stat systems, young creatures, ocean biomes and underwater enemies/NPCs/cities and plenty more besides. If you've got an issue or have found a bug, then the official forums seem like a better place to report it in the hopes that it gets included in the official feedback, rather than making noise here.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Poop Hat
uncommon crappyhelmet

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Can someone link to a solid starting guide / tips? Aside from the OP, which has been helpful. I've been playing for 10 hours now and literally have nothing to show for it aside from a sweet house that was destroyed by some rear end in a top hat penguins.

Looking at this thread it seems like I'm behind the curve..

The first few hours are just for gathering materials and pixels, right? And is staying on the surface for materials more efficient than digging down?

I also have yet to find these dungeons people are talking about...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yes, early on surface ores are all you need. If you're not having great luck on your starting planet, drop some wood/coal into your ship's fuel and try another world (avoid snow worlds.)

There's a huge universe out there and exploring can be half the fun. See what you can find.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Exploring tons of planets is also the best way to get gold and platinum! Just loot that poo poo, deep earth mining is the work of poor people.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
If you haven't seen the PGS thread, goon server starbound.420yoloswag.com is currently up with no password. Sometimes we have issues and a password is posted in there, but usually it's just a bunch of space exploration and building fun with goons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My own tips:
- upgrade you pickaxe and make a normal axe as fast as possible, get lots of plant fibre for bandages and trees for... everything. cut down every tree, don't make them into planks until you really have to
- make the iron bow asap, it one-shots anything in level 1-3 planets, use that to get lots of meat and leather
- once you have a snow jacket and some other armor, you can go anywhere so long as you're careful to survive encounters with monsters, so go find a planet with an avian pirate ship and get some guns
- once you have guns you can shoot the ufo down easily. Level 10 surface monsters drop a shitload of money, too, so once you have a gun that can two-shot them from a distance you don't have to grind too hard either. (my favorite thing: spray and pray up in the sky with a machine gun/pistol to get a bunch of birds mad at me then fight them with whatever weapon I feel like)

note: these are only early game tips
I cannot survive level 10+ planets and find the crazy loot some posters have gotten ahold of.
Q: can you do anything with the crystals you find deep underground or mushrooms on some planets or are they just decoration. Also, does the ufo encounter's difficulty scale with the planet it's on like the dungeons?

I'm probably going to wait a while before playing again, just curious.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 8, 2013

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Rita Repulsa posted:

- once you have a snow jacket and some other armor, you can go anywhere so long as you're careful to survive encounters with monsters, so go find a planet with an avian pirate ship and get some guns

What does the snow armour require? I don't see it in my crafting lists.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rather Dashing posted:

It's made at the Spinning Wheel.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

Leather, you make it at the spinning wheel. Don't get too attached, its getting nerfed in the next patch (because it was added in a hurry I guess, and is literally stronger than silver armor)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
10+ leather or so.
It'll unlock.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rita Repulsa posted:

note: these are only early game tips
I cannot survive level 10+ planets and find the crazy loot some posters have gotten ahold of.
Q: can you do anything with the crystals you find deep underground or mushrooms on some planets or are they just decoration. Also, does the ufo encounter's difficulty scale with the planet it's on like the dungeons?

I'm probably going to wait a while before playing again, just curious.

You can use those blocks for special furniture, like chests and tables. You have to be lucky and find the blueprint though (unless there's a vendor that sells that kinda stuff?). It's a system that'd be rough single-player, but much better in multiplayer where everyone can work together. That seems to be the ideal way to play the game for a number of the mechanics.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I remember the first Terraria beta, back when it was still using Final Fantasy sprite-edits. There were prats declaring that the game would never change, that promises of better art were lies and that the entire thing was a scam. It's pretty much exactly what we're seeing here.

The game is still heavily in development. There's a lot of stuff coming in the next few patches, including a complete rework of the combat stat systems, young creatures, ocean biomes and underwater enemies/NPCs/cities and plenty more besides. If you've got an issue or have found a bug, then the official forums seem like a better place to report it in the hopes that it gets included in the official feedback, rather than making noise here.

Some of the devs do post here or at least read this thread so it is probably as good a place as any to voice concerns. I imagine the official forums are in some ways even more noise to sift through to find anything useful.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Found an outhouse next to a hole in the ground

At the bottom I found poo poo monsters that killed on touch.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Reddit (*gasp*) has a pretty good thread about current issues and design directions. I'm honestly surprised the feedback is of such high quality.

I honestly think the game is in good hands with the devs and the community outside the official forums.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is there anyone who doesn't use either a shield or a fuckoff magic two-hander? I've found using anything other than shield + one-handed gun/sword or purple two-handers that drop from mini-bosses to be impossible not to die a million times with. For me at least, these seem to the most viable weapon choices and I'm curious if anyone's had success with other combat styles.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I tried using a spear for a while, but they feel awful right now, it's so hard to hit anything that isn't directly in front of you on the ground

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pakled posted:

Is there anyone who doesn't use either a shield or a fuckoff magic two-hander? I've found using anything other than shield + one-handed gun/sword or purple two-handers that drop from mini-bosses to be impossible not to die a million times with. For me at least, these seem to the most viable weapon choices and I'm curious if anyone's had success with other combat styles.

I've never had a shield and my whole shtick has been to use two-handers to knockback the enemy and ideally kill them in one or two shots. I kept finding two-handers with high damage and slow speed and it turns out the hitbox lingers on low-speed weapons so if you don't line the shot up exactly you can still sort of fudge it into the monster and that does the trick. Not having a shield has been a problem against NPCs with guns but outside of that the knockback has been a better defense against melee than anything else.

Spears have a lot of forward range and I've grown fond of them as an Avian (it's their preferred weapon) but I think the safest two-hander is a big axe or a hammer with that oblong 90 degree hit arc.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

boz posted:

Found an outhouse next to a hole in the ground

At the bottom I found poo poo monsters that killed on touch.

I went through one of those complexes, it was sort of annoying because there was absolutely no loot in it from what I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

How does the wiring tool work? I can't seem to drag the colored icons anywhere. Do the eye/hand scanners not work currently?

• Locked thread