Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godzillas Gorilla
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah, that was pretty much it except on the side of a driveway. I went full retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I didn't crash, but I did get hit, which I guess counts.

I was only my commute home, filtering as usual past the immobile traffic to my left. Right hand side of the road was empty, so I had plenty of room. Out of nowhere a someone in the line of traffic decided to chuck a uwie without indicating or giving any sign that he was doing so. Had I been there half a second later, he would have gotten a bandit right through his door.

As it happens, he hit my left boot, pillion peg and pannier bag. No damage to any of them, extremely fortunately.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Drifter posted:

Umm, this is about as true as garlic warding off vampires. A 40%+ saline solution MIGHT help disinfect a wound but some bad things living on your skin like staph and poo poo are pretty resistant to this to begin with.

If you're just sand-papering salt crystals into your skin you're wasting your time and probably causing further tissue damage. You're also drawing water out of your cells when they need to be moist and probably killing some, too, when they need to be alive. Your best bet is to scrub gently with a slightly soapy (preferably antibacterial if it's a larger wound) water, and then rinse it clean with more clean water.

I don't know why you would think curing your wound like a ham is in any way a good idea. Do you also think you need to sear your steaks to keep the moisture in?

Noone said it's a good idea, but given the option between letting a wound weep fluids for days or just having it dry up into scar tissue, I generally prefer the latter.
The salt in fact does a very good job of drawing the fluids out of a wound and drying out the skin so it can scab over more quickly.

Also, I left my first aid kit at the office that day to make room in my bag for more work stuff.
So, like I said, I walked over to a restaurant next to where I wrecked and stole a salt shaker and a bunch of napkins.

Edit: also, salt is a natural antibiotic. That's why salt is used to cure ham or whatever. It does dry out the meat but it also preserves it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 5, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The folks who believe that salt is an antibiotic are the same hippie-dippy types who also believe medicine is poison. Also, choosing scarring over letting your body heal properly is insane.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Noone said it's a good idea, but given the option between letting a wound weep fluids for days or just having it dry up into scar tissue, I generally prefer the latter.
The salt in fact does a very good job of drawing the fluids out of a wound and drying out the skin so it can scab over more quickly.

Also, I left my first aid kit at the office that day to make room in my bag for more work stuff.
So, like I said, I walked over to a restaurant next to where I wrecked and stole a salt shaker and a bunch of napkins.

Edit: also, salt is a natural antibiotic. That's why salt is used to cure ham or whatever. It does dry out the meat but it also preserves it.

I would totally respond to this by just re-quoting my quote that you quoted to respond to me.

Nobody said it's a good idea except you being totally okay with it in your previous posts and even explaining your batshit crazy rational about why you were doing it. That's the type of medical advice you garner from watching 1960s spaghetti westerns or something. Or maybe from listening to Jenny McCarthy.

If my kid ever fails a math test in high school I'm not going to suggest they eat the brains of some nerd in order to boost up their intellect. Nor will I tell them to rub salt into their wounds.

You don't have to defend yourself, and I might've just lol'd at you or something and left it alone, but when you are trying to tell other people what's good and proper and you lead with that, you gotta be called out on it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 5, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The folks who believe that salt is an antibiotic are the same hippie-dippy types who also believe medicine is poison.

Heh, Charlie said something kinda dumb, but you've got a lightly-bigoted :master: here. Please, come tell GWS more about your novel outlook on charcuterie and humanity's oldest form of chemical food preservation. According to actual non-fantastic science, salt is an antibiotic (and a fairly potent one); most of us picked that up in high school biology. v:v:v

What exactly do you think antibiotics do, anyway? Salt sucks all the moisture out of the cells of most microorganisms that come into contact with it, rendering them inert or dead depending on the organism. Don't take my word for it, buy a microscope and do some science!

On the other hand it's probably mostly useless in Charlie's case, as an actively-weeping wound is probably going to slough any antibiotic agent pretty quickly anyway. A block of alum is going in my first aid kit tomorrow, though, now that I've thought of it. And a wire brush. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
This is well out of place in this thread, but you don't want wounds to scab. Wounds heal way faster and with less scarring when they don't scab. Scabbing happens because we didn't used to have ointment and band aids.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If your wounds don't scab then what do you pick at?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

EX250 Type R posted:

Your pride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

This is well out of place in this thread, but you don't want wounds to scab. Wounds heal way faster and with less scarring when they don't scab. Scabbing happens because we didn't used to have ointment and band aids.

Wait, is that true?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, is that true?

Yes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ed: I do occasionally post legitimate advice and content as opposed to jokes, sarcasm, and trolls. I supposed it's my fault that people can't distinguish between them.

Do you google searching on your own but to sum it up:

Scabs are dead skin from your cut or scrape and your body has to work around it and eventually remove it as the skin grows in and closes the wound. If you keep the wound moist (that triple antibiotic poo poo isn't even needed really, vaseline is what I use) and you keep it covered with a bandage to keep gunk out, you'll heal in 1/3 of the time no exaggeration. It gives the wound a great environment for the skin to grow and heal over the existing cells you have left.

I had a dog bite where his tooth dug in and ended up with a triangle like flap of skin connected but hanging off and I just cleaned it, put it back in place and coated it with vaseline and it reattached. I'd usually swap bandages at least 2 a day if not more if they got dirty, and I'd let it sit in the air a half hour or so, but I was recently told that was unnecessary.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 5, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Splizwarf posted:

Heh, Charlie said something kinda dumb, but you've got a lightly-bigoted :master: here. Please, come tell GWS more about your novel outlook on charcuterie and humanity's oldest form of chemical food preservation. According to actual non-fantastic science, salt is an antibiotic (and a fairly potent one); most of us picked that up in high school biology. v:v:v

What exactly do you think antibiotics do, anyway? Salt sucks all the moisture out of the cells of most microorganisms that come into contact with it, rendering them inert or dead depending on the organism. Don't take my word for it, buy a microscope and do some science!
An antiseptic (which salt is, albeit a weak one), is not the same thing as an antibiotic. That's why gargling with salt water makes you feel better when you have a sore throat, but it sure as hell isn't going to cure your strep infection.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

EX250 Type R posted:

Other people's posts

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Other people's posts

These wounds they will not heal

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
You guys really need to take my advice with a grain of salt.
I'm not suggesting salt should be in your med kit as a go-to.
But if you boarder on belonging in the Bachelor Thread like I do, or don't have a handy alternative, it's a trusty standby.

Splizwarf posted:

And a wire brush. :(
Here's hoping you don't need it, but if you're going to carry a brush you might as well get a stiff bristled nylon.

nsaP posted:

Chicks dig scars.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
poo poo no, nylon melts when you try to sterilize it with a lighter. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

poo poo no, nylon melts when you try to sterilize it with a lighter. :v:

haha touché.

In my search for a replacement med bag (my metal box is difficult to pack), I found this:

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IBMag7-p30-33.pdf

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Most first aid kits really are junk. Anything useful in the field you can improvise with tape, paracord and a tshirt.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

n8r posted:

Most first aid kits really are junk. Anything useful in the field you can improvise with tape, paracord and a tshirt.

I do a lot of first aid at my job. First aid kits are a huge, expensive gimmick. Anything you're going to be doing yourself can be done with:

Antiseptic wipes
Band-Aids (regular, finger-type, butterfly)
Gauze
Ace Bandage
Medical Tape
Small bottle of Saline solution is nice for foreign objects in eyes.

You can fit all that stuff in a pocket in your jacket and have a huge supply at home for the cost of one lovely kit.

Those break-n-shake cold packs are a wonderful psychological tool if you're helping others, although too bulky to carry and too tepid to do any good. Smack one of those things, shake it up, and people are so fascinated that they forget all about their smashed toe or bruised forehead.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

n8r posted:

I refuse to buy a first aid kit that doesn't include a bone saw.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The only first aid kit you need is a wooden stick to bite down on so you can walk off the injury.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Leather chunks were also used for that, back in the day. So you don't even need a first aid kit - just bite down on your own leathers. :c00lbert:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Here's hoping you don't need it, but if you're going to carry a brush you might as well get a stiff bristled nylon.

Why did you ask for table salt when you could have walked into the bathroom and cleaned out the wound with antibacterial soap? The table salt really does nothing at that point, does it? If your wound gets infected and necrotic a salt impregnated dressing may be used to help with the sloughing process.

Also, a wire brush is not the correct tool for debridement. You do not want to damage the tissue even further and drive bacteria deeper. You want something that lifts the embedded gravel without annihilating the surrounding tissue.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

If any of you use tegaderm make sure to follow these instructions: http://www.obra.org/wound_care.html

Take special note of the grease line that allows fluid to drain. I got road rash while biking and left the tegaderm fully sealed and it infected the hair follicles.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MotoMind posted:

If any of you use tegaderm make sure to follow these instructions: http://www.obra.org/wound_care.html

Take special note of the grease line that allows fluid to drain. I got road rash while biking and left the tegaderm fully sealed and it infected the hair follicles.

Ah Tegaderm, I have a love/hate relationship with it from years of dealing with it but that stuff is very useful. I may have made a very large order at the end of the year last year before getting rid of my home healthcare company to use up the rest of my healthcare flex-spending account...that and iodine/alcohol wipes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Also, a wire brush is not the correct tool for debridement. You do not want to damage the tissue even further and drive bacteria deeper. You want something that lifts the embedded gravel without annihilating the surrounding tissue.

So what is the correct tool? You're just going to leave us hanging?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Only if that belt sander has salt-coated paper, instead of sand.

Splizwarf posted:

A shop-vac. :colbert:

Sterile water and a cloth works well for normal people. Small strokes and dabbing. If you got some larger chunks of stuff deeply embedded go for some tweezers, but if it's just small sandy sized things that you can't get out with the cloth just clean it and let your body push it out.

Anything else if your wound is bad and you might be better off going to a hospital.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

How am I supposed to know, I am not a goddamn doctor. I used a soft toothbrush. Unfortunately I mixed up which was which and used my normal one to debride my knee and didn't realize my mistake until after I brushed my teeth that night.

A firm toothbrush would probably be fine.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

MotoMind posted:

How am I supposed to know, I am not a goddamn doctor. I used a soft toothbrush. Unfortunately I mixed up which was which and used my normal one to debride my knee and didn't realize my mistake until after I brushed my teeth that night.

A firm toothbrush would probably be fine.

That must have been a pleasant realisation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MotoMind posted:

Why did you ask for table salt when you could have walked into the bathroom and cleaned out the wound with antibacterial soap? The table salt really does nothing at that point, does it? If your wound gets infected and necrotic a salt impregnated dressing may be used to help with the sloughing process.

I wasn't in any mood to take my pants off or tie up their one holer so I could take a sink bath.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Meanwhile, in darkest Australia:

"Rider killed on motorcycle without lights was riding with torch in mouth"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-15/two-dead-after-motorcycle-crash/5157520

Proud to be home.

:australia:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

article posted:

Stuart Lennard from the Tasmanian Motorcycle Council says it is a tragedy.

Stuart Lennard is either the greatest saint Australia has ever known, or he's secretly glad these dumb cunts have removed themselves from the gene pool, and trying to damage control things because it happened to happen in his state.

I struggle to imagine how anyone who knows anything about riding bikes can think of this as a 'tragedy' as opposed to being relieved no bystanders were killed or hurt.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I love how with that list of loving stupid things leading up to that accident, Police are trying to ascertain whether speed was a factor. Give it a rest, guys. The bike was unroadworthy, the riders had no helmets. Don't over think it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Stuart Lennard is either the greatest saint Australia has ever known, or he's secretly glad these dumb cunts have removed themselves from the gene pool, and trying to damage control things because it happened to happen in his state.

I struggle to imagine how anyone who knows anything about riding bikes can think of this as a 'tragedy' as opposed to being relieved no bystanders were killed or hurt.

We're talking about a country with a former Prime Minister famous for being able to drink a pint of beer in under 6 seconds. I think Lennard might be sincere. We may have lost a couple of future heads of state there.

For those not familiar with Australian politics: this guy used to run the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mBShX9fdU

Quoth wikipedia:

wikipedia article on Bob Hawke posted:

His academic achievements were complemented by setting a new world speed record for beer drinking; he downed 2 1⁄2 imperial pints (1.4 l) - equivalent to a yard of ale - from a sconce pot in 11 seconds as part of a college penalty.[13][14] In his memoirs, Hawke suggested that this single feat may have contributed to his political success more than any other, by endearing him to a voting population with a strong beer culture

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
If it's like here in Sweden, speed is ALWAYS a factor (according to the Swedish Transport Agency at least). I filled out a questionnaire for the STA once, and one of the questions asked you to rank five things from a list according to how dangerous you thought they where in traffic. IIRC it was drunk driving, speeding, not using seat belts, driving tired and using your phone while driving. After I was done I happened to see the list as ranked by the STA themselves, and they ranked speeding as the most dangerous behaviour.

Yes, that is correct. The Swedish Transport Agency, the guys responsible for making our roads safer and giving input to our goverment about road safety laws, thinks speeding is worse than driving drunk or tired. :psyduck:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If it's like here in Sweden, speed is ALWAYS a factor (according to the Swedish Transport Agency at least). I filled out a questionnaire for the STA once, and one of the questions asked you to rank five things from a list according to how dangerous you thought they where in traffic. IIRC it was drunk driving, speeding, not using seat belts, driving tired and using your phone while driving. After I was done I happened to see the list as ranked by the STA themselves, and they ranked speeding as the most dangerous behaviour.

Yes, that is correct. The Swedish Transport Agency, the guys responsible for making our roads safer and giving input to our goverment about road safety laws, thinks speeding is worse than driving drunk or tired. :psyduck:

But you can drive drunk and not get hurt when you crash if you're going slowly enough :eng101:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In NZ it's an endless competition of one-upmanship between speeding and drunk driving. You can actually see the funding for the PSA's swing back and forth seasonally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Well poo poo, dropped my bike on the way to work today. My last turn before work was super lovely this morning - it's a right hand turn at a stoplight with a steel railroad track crossing, stop bars, and it's in an industrial area so it's always covered in gravel and oil. It was slightly damp this morning so everything was slick. I just gave it to much gas pulling away from the light and my back tire slipped out from under me.

I was only going around 15 mph so the damage isn't too bad. It looks like I have rug burn on my elbow but that's it on me. On the bike my right foot peg is pretty bent up but still useable. I think either my forks or handlebar are slightly out of whack. Something just felt a little off with my positioning and the mirrors were both way out of adjustment. I was really worried at first because right after picking it up the engine would turn over but not start. After pushing it about a hundred yards I got the bright idea to turn the key off and restart the electronics and everything started up fine.

I feel pretty stupid. I know I was thinking more about what I had to do when I got to work instead of focusing on riding. It's a turn I take every day so I didn't have a second thought going into it. There's no excuse for what the road was like because I see it every day and know how crappy that intersection is. I guess this is also an excuse to get more experience on slippery surfaces so I can react better to my rear sliding out.

E: The only mark on any of my gear is scrapes on the hard plastic palm sliders on my gloves. My hands feel perfectly fine super I'm really glad I used that pair this morning and not my gloves without palm sliders - I think that pair might be getting quite a bit less use now.

Koruthaiolos fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 18, 2013

• Locked thread