Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

Those are "big titles", huh? If so, the Wii U is absolutely hosed even more than I thought it was.

What big titles did you think there were that you didn't think it was hosed already? This is a Nintendo console, the big titles have been the same since the N64. Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash, [party and sports mix]. There aren't any surprises up sleeves here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Electromax posted:

What big titles did you think there were that you didn't think it was hosed already? This is a Nintendo console, the big titles have been the same since the N64. Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash, [party and sports mix]. There aren't any surprises up sleeves here.

Even Namco said they're not even bringing any of the Tales games over to other systems now, and that they're exclusive to PS3 and PS4.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Electromax posted:

But Reggie was wearing a METROID PIN! That means that Metroid Prime 4 is coming in the next three months, and if it doesn't I am going to throw my Wii U out the window.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Electromax posted:

I've always thought it was a system that was dead in the water. I'm just saying that nobody knows anything about X, Yarn Yoshi, or SMT x Fire Emblem outside of super nerd forums. They're not big to anybody but those whose entire lives revolve around video games. They're certainly not system sellers to 99% of people.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

I'm just saying that nobody knows anything about X, Yarn Yoshi, or SMT x Fire Emblem outside of super nerd forums.

X doesn't have a title or release date beyond '2014', same as Yarn Yoshi. SMTvFE doesn't even have a release year confirmed. Even on super nerd forums it's a bit hard to get excited about that.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
What the gently caress is X?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jut posted:

The new "Xeno" game that still has no title.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

TaurusOxford posted:

The new "Xeno" game that still has no title.

Right, never heard of those games before...looks like a lovely JRPG style game that isn't exactly going to be a system seller outside of Japan.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Jut posted:

Right, never heard of those games before...looks like a lovely JRPG style game that isn't exactly going to be a system seller outside of Japan.

The series is pretty good, although yeah not exactly one that sells gangbusters.

Xenoblade was popular enough on the Internet to eventually convince Nintendo to bring it stateside. It came over as a gamestop exclusive.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jut posted:

Xenoblade was a great game and X looks great as well. It won't be a big seller but it'll probably be fun as heck.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Jut posted:

I think this displays Nintendo's lack of experience when it comes to marketing to core games. They seem to have a good grasp of marketing games that appeal to casual games or wide demographics. They know what media channels to use and how to appeal to these people.

However, they're not very good at marketing their core games as blockbuster titles. Their strategy of advertising a month or so before a game's release won't work for this kind of demographic. A lot of games sell because ads not only convince gamers that the game is a big deal but inform them of its existence. The closest they've come is with SSB: Brawl and Kid Icarus's steady stream of information. I think it has a lot to do with how Sakurai produces his games.

Xenoblade needed an aggressive ad campaign in order to be a hit. It should have had a year long ad campaign and targeted magazines and websites RPG players would like. There should have been many trailers and a strong retail presence for the game. Instead, it didn't sell very well in Japan and took years to come to Europe and North America. It's likely that Nintendo of America was under pressure to post a profit and wasn't willing to take a potential loss on Xenoblade. A grass roots effort was created in order raise awareness of this game.

In comparison, White Knight Chronicles for the PS3 outsold Xenoblade in Japan despite poor reviews. The game had a significant ad campaign and was seen as the RPG to get before FFXIII's release. When it came to West after a long delay, the developer had taken time to rebalance the game and add new content. This stands in sharp contrast to the amount of lobbying required to even get Nintendo to even talk about a possible release for North America.

There a lot of similarities between how Xenoblade and X are handled so far. The games were announced under working titles (Monado for Xenoblade and 'X' is probably a temporary name) with long periods of radio silence. They both had a limited presence at trade shows and other events.

It's possible that Monolith creates a great game with strong international appeal due to its open world design. However, Nintendo may not have any idea about how to reach out to the game's target demographic. They probably should be targeting fans of Skyrim or people who are unhappy with current Final Fantasy games. They seem reluctant to engage in this style of promotion either through the costs of such a prolonged ad campaign or the belief that a good game will sell on its own merits.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jut posted:

I was going to say, "what the gently caress is Yarn Yoshi?"

I would say Nintendo is also hosed because in 2013, the "big titles" for their $400 console are still platformers. There are dozens of incredibly good platformers that you can get for a pittance on PC (talking $5-$15) that have 10-year-old system requirements, and most are also available on the other consoles' download services. It's probably my favorite genre, but there's no way I'm going to pay $400+ to play Mario and Yarn Yoshi when, just as an example, in the last Steam sale I picked up Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, and Dust for $11 total (not to mention getting Thomas Was Alone for $1 from a Humble Bundle). You can push platformers as system sellers on a handheld, but most people want something huge and cinematic when they sit down to play their expensive console on their giant TVs.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Papercut posted:

I would say Nintendo is also hosed because in 2013, the "big titles" for their $400 console are still platformers. There are dozens of incredibly good platformers that you can get for a pittance on PC (talking $5-$15) that have 10-year-old system requirements, and most are also available on the other consoles' download services. It's probably my favorite genre, but there's no way I'm going to pay $400+ to play Mario and Yarn Yoshi when, just as an example, in the last Steam sale I picked up Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, and Dust for $11 total (not to mention getting Thomas Was Alone for $1 from a Humble Bundle). You can push platformers as system sellers on a handheld, but most people want something huge and cinematic when they sit down to play their expensive console on their giant TVs.

You gave $1 for a humble bundle?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's probably going to do about the same as Persona 4 Arena did for it's respected system.

Arena came out on systems people actually owned, and was a quirky fighter made by highly respected people. Thats easier to justify than plonking down full price for the console and the game.

It was also a 2D fighter, which are currently experiencing good popularity, and not a JRPG, which on home consoles are currently dead in the water.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There's always the rest of the month for impromptu announcements. Or there's the usual January meeting/directs that usually showcase new things for the planned year ahead.

This is from a bit earlier, but if they announce something big in a January nintendo direct, they're really just preaching to the choir. They had a chance to reach out to the xbox/playstation/pc crowd last night, and they totally blew it. Announcing nothing probably would have made them look better than "hey, there's a character only a few people care about in the next game for the system no one owns. Please. Please buy our things. We're desperate".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Iacen posted:

I know I would have bought many more both Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS games if they had been cheaper. I'm constantly on the lookout for sales, because I know that poo poo isn't going to drop.

I wish Nintendo would do something like Sony's Platinum or Microsofts Classic range. Didn't they do that briefly for the Gamecube?

Player's Choice was Nintendo's "hits" label for SNES, N64, and GameCube. It disappeared until resurfacing on Wii with the name Nintendo Selects. In 2011.

Until 2011, Nintendo was doing bullshit like charging $50 for ExciteTruck in 2009 because hey man, they'll buy it anyway.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jut posted:

This is the best reaction to X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFDthoYQr4E at 3:18

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Papercut posted:

I would say Nintendo is also hosed because in 2013, the "big titles" for their $400 console...

$300.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So I'm vgisting my parents for thanksgiving and the WIi U ad comes on. The hip one for the family togetherness bullshit.

I ask them if they can tell me what the ad is about. Mind you they have a Wii. To no one's surprise they thought it was advertising new games and a tablet addon.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

Papercut posted:

I can't imagine Thomas Was Alone of all things stealing too many sales from a game like 3D World

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

dataisplural posted:

I can't imagine Thomas Was Alone of all things stealing too many sales from a game like 3D World

Knack, for the newly released PS4 outsold 3D world. I really wouldn't be that surprised. Most platformers I see people play these days are on PC.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

One and the Same posted:

Knack, for the newly released PS4 outsold 3D world.

...in the U.K.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
*shrug*

The fact that it did anywhere doesn't exactly bode well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

One and the Same posted:

*shrug*

The fact that it did anywhere doesn't exactly bode well.

Europe has never been pro-Nintendo.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Al Borland posted:

To no one's surprise they thought it was advertising new games and a tablet addon.

I told my sister, who owns a Wii and is what I would call a "casual gamer", that I was thinking of buying a Wii U. She didn't know what I was talking about, so I showed it to her in a Target Ad. She said "why do want a controller for a system you don't own?" Not even the print advertisements make it clear that it's a whole new system.

On another note, I wonder if there really are people out there stupid enough to have purchased Wii U games for their Wii not knowing the difference. Were there ever any stories on that?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

On another note, I wonder if there really are people out there stupid enough to have purchased Wii U games for their Wii not knowing the difference. Were there ever any stories on that?

There haven't been enough sold to know.

Really though, I'm sure it happened but honestly the console isn't popular enough for there to have been widespread confusion about it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

...in the U.K.

Do we have the figures for the US?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Al Borland posted:

I ask them if they can tell me what the ad is about. Mind you they have a Wii. To no one's surprise they thought it was advertising new games and a tablet addon.

To a degree, I don't think there's anything to be done with the advertising anymore, not unless the ad explicitly states multiple times that the Wii U is a new console with a new controller but can use Wiimotes too. Part of it is that ads don't have a lot of time to explain things and Nintendo is really loving up at telling people that it's more than just a controller, partly because that's really all there is to emphasize.

Then there's people who are simply ignorant of games and technological devices just don't make the effort. The Wii U is just worse off than the numbered Playstations because the U doesn't really tell people what's different. At least with Playstations they get the sense that the PS3 is what comes after the PS2 because numbers, etc. It doesn't help that the Wii U console looks very similar to the Wii at first glance.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I told my sister, who owns a Wii and is what I would call a "casual gamer", that I was thinking of buying a Wii U. She didn't know what I was talking about, so I showed it to her in a Target Ad. She said "why do want a controller for a system you don't own?" Not even the print advertisements make it clear that it's a whole new system.

I'm sure there are. They're also probably the same sort of people that may fall for cheap Chinese knockoffs, buy the game for the entirely wrong platform, etc.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I saw some shrieking loon shouting down the clerk at a local gamestop over exactly that a couple weeks ago. It took her like 20 minutes to process the fact that the WiiU is an entirely new console.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
What was the U supposed to stand for, if anything? Where did they get that name from?

Haha, wow!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What was the U supposed to stand for, if anything? Where did they get that name from?

Nothing, just like Wii.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cliff Racer posted:

Nothing, just like Wii.

Huh? When they announced the name they basically said it stands for "you" in that it's all about games for you or something like that.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
To further complicate things for Nintendo they can't just say "the ALL NEW Wii U" because it's already been out for a year

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

dataisplural posted:

To further complicate things for Nintendo they can't just say "the ALL NEW Wii U" because it's already been out for a year

They sort of could if they released a retooled SKU, perhaps with a certain device removed. :awesomelon:

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Do we have the figures for the US?

NPD numbers for November get published in ~a week, the exciting parts will be leaked shortly after that.

The guessed numbers on VGChartz has it at 240k for SM3DW, 100k for Knack. I's be surprised if it's less than 2:1 in favour of Mario tbh.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Just rename it now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wii = We, as in "we can play games together"
Wii U = We You, as in "we can play games together...but so can you?" :confused:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
It was supposed to represent the togtherness of Wii but with features that appeal to the solitary hardcore gamer "you", which it doesn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It was supposed to represent the togtherness of Wii but with features that appeal to the solitary hardcore gamer "you", which it doesn't have.

I don't know man, they have Cranky with pretty appealing cane jumping features.

• Locked thread