Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

DrSunshine posted:

What is it with the Star Trek staff and incredibly unflattering catsuits? :(

RDM argued that if Seven wears a catsuit as some way of expressing her overt sexuality, then she should be sleeping with every dude on the ship. Or at the very least, everyone else on the ship should be walking around in bikinis and having orgies here and there. Making the crew straight-laced and chaste while sticking Seven in a catsuit is inconsistent on every narrative level. It's like nobody thought about it for more than a few seconds, yet the costume choice persisted for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Did you start with Encounter at Farpoint? (And welcome. You'll be ready to argue obsessively over which Enterprise is the best in no time!!!)

Yes indeedy. It's a good start to the series. It lays out a lot of what comes after.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mr. Jive posted:

RDM argued that if Seven wears a catsuit as some way of expressing her overt sexuality, then she should be sleeping with every dude on the ship. Or at the very least, everyone else on the ship should be walking around in bikinis and having orgies here and there. Making the crew straight-laced and chaste while sticking Seven in a catsuit is inconsistent on every narrative level. It's like nobody thought about it for more than a few seconds, yet the costume choice persisted for years.

Well, the answer here is easy: they didn't give a poo poo about the "narrative", they just wanted a hot lady in a catsuit

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If ya wanna talk about good acting in Voyager "Cathexis" has a pretty strong performance from Beltran. He really nails the comatose and brain dead portions of the script.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Mr. Jive posted:

If it weren't for the heels, it could be passed off as a hyper-efficient garment. While the costume itself was cumbersome, they could have written a throwaway line about how the ~future tailoring and space fabric of the garment the costume represented~ yielded complete freedom of movement while providing no loose fabric that could catch on anything, and also protected against burns to everywhere except the hands and face, which were left uncovered to facilitate dexterity and sense perception, etc. The overt sexiness could have even been a plot point, with Seven not really understanding (at first) why others would be so...noticeably affected by her efforts to maximize efficiency.

If it weren't for the heels.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 8, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think they do have an insane throwaway line about how, because Seven's skin had been inside a catsuit for decades at that point, she was hypersensitive and fabric brushing her skin in a normal uniform would have been agony. So another catsuit it is!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Pellisworth posted:

I watched the first episode of Farscape, this show is goofy as hell and boy is it clever. So far it's scored major points with me for humorous and pretty accurate science tidbits. Crichton wakes up in a cell naked, what did you guys do to me? Oh we examined you, you're not a Peacekeeper because the bacteria living in you are foreign. That's totally logical and someone with a good knowledge of biology came up with that, plus I got the implication Crichton had been "probed" for that info :v:

Then you have probably the best scifi fart joke I've seen.

Yeah, it's fun because the show is simultaneously goofy, silly, and intelligent. It's kind of the opposite of Voyager or Enterprise in that way; it can pull of something humorous without pandering, and then it jumps in with something silly like translator microbes and treats it with utter seriousness.

Crichton being probed and otherwise suggestively "investigated" is a running gag.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Has this been posted here yet? Who gives a poo poo, Let it Snow

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I know we're not supposed to emptyquote here but I just wanted to ensure that this link would appear again in case anyone missed your post.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Shut up, Wesley!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think they do have an insane throwaway line about how, because Seven's skin had been inside a catsuit for decades at that point, she was hypersensitive and fabric brushing her skin in a normal uniform would have been agony. So another catsuit it is!
Yeah, when she first gets de-Borged The Doctor says something about how the catsuit is medicated somehow to help her skin heal after the removal of all her implants. Why she had to wear it for years afterwards, or couldn't wear something more reasonable over it, never came up.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I believe you will find D'argo looks reasonably different every season. The make-up changes, or just his entire costume, every single year. It's actually really funny and bizarre, because his "black shoulderpads and very volumnous sleeves" outfit was the best, but they kept fiddling the next year and made him look lame again.

As I recall, early D'Argo is really pale, but then his skin gets darker due to flashburns from when they blow up something big I can't recall...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rocket_man38 posted:

So I'm re watching Enterprise, and I have to say it's not AS bad as I remembered. But then I got to E2. "Ya we could have bombarded the Xindi homeworld in our 100+ years of being around here, but nah we waited until it was too late to try."

I'm having the same feeling. I remember watching Enterprise and being slightly disappointing most episodes; but now after 8 years of no Trek and nothing but JJ films "laser action trek" to compare it to I actually appreciate it. At this point I'd fund a kickstarter to make another season of Voyager. I just want good trek back :cry:

Mr. Jive posted:

RDM argued that if Seven wears a catsuit as some way of expressing her overt sexuality, then she should be sleeping with every dude on the ship.

How do you know she wasn't? Harry Kim might have rejected her but I doubt the Maquis lower level crew men would be so discriminating. They where never forth coming with sex on Star Trek even if they implied they where screwing the holograms every once in a while.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 8, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rutibex posted:

I'm having the same feeling. I remember watching Enterprise and being slightly disappointing most episodes; but now after 8 years of no Trek and nothing but JJ films "laser action trek" to compare it to I actually appreciate it. At this point I'd fund a kickstarter to make another season of Voyager. I just want good trek back :cry:

As bad as Trek fans poo poo all over Enterprise during its run, going back over the series it had some really good episodes. The first season was really hit or miss, but they managed to continuously improve and get better, with the final season having some of the best by far until the abomination of a finale.

The TV environment has changed so much since 2002 that they can't do a new Trek series on any other network then SyFy due to cost and network expectations. Even then there's so much money tied up in the franchise anything other then a prime-time major success would be seen as a failure.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It makes me think.. what is the new standard in television. HBO, right? Band of Brothers, Game of Thrones and others. A 'big business' approach where they pony up the cash of a feature film and produce something that as good or arguably better.

Trek just isn't good enough for that kind of treatment. BoB we're talking about WW2 and some of the most amazing poo poo that ever went down on this planet (DDay remains the largest ever mobilization in history). Game of Thrones is easily one of the most engaging, detailed and real fantasy series I ever read (when I was into that kind of book). HBO did Rome too, right? Well.. loving Rome.. I'm listening to a podcast at the moment of Roman history (an American historian, it's really good) and the stories and Roman heroes actions in combat are straight up some of the coolest poo poo you'll ever hear.

Trek may have great high points of shaking a current social issue or excellent ficiton storytelling.. but it's just not on that level of awesome :( Imagine HBO Trek.. :O

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Montana posted:

Trek may have great high points of shaking a current social issue or excellent ficiton storytelling.. but it's just not on that level of awesome :( Imagine HBO Trek.. :O

The problem is HBO shows need big sweeping narratives; Star Trek works best when it's doing something new every week. At least to me anyway, I always found the one off "lets explore this weird sci-fi concept this week" episodes way more interesting than whatever the Romulins/Dominion/Xindi or whatever was up to. Real politics is more interesting than fake TV politics; but I can't get weird sci-fi from the daily news.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knormal posted:

Yeah, when she first gets de-Borged The Doctor says something about how the catsuit is medicated somehow to help her skin heal after the removal of all her implants. Why she had to wear it for years afterwards, or couldn't wear something more reasonable over it, never came up.
The doctor is programmed to be like Zimmerman in a lot of ways and has some mix of weird conservatism (see his stepford family) and lecherousness. He designed the high-heeled catsuit and probably doesn't even know exactly why.
(damnit it was bad, but you can justify just about anything)

Rutibex posted:

I can't get weird sci-fi from the daily news.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Rutibex posted:

How do you know she wasn't? Harry Kim might have rejected her but I doubt the Maquis lower level crew men would be so discriminating. They where never forth coming with sex on Star Trek even if they implied they where screwing the holograms every once in a while.

I said this on an earlier thread, but, had Harry boned Seven in that season 4 episode where she comes on to him, it would have been basically statutory rape. Seven didn't understand sex well enough to consent. By season 7 she was functionally an adult, but in that season she was basically an autistic pre-teen who just happened to be attractive.

Also Harry wasn't allowed to have sex with her for the same reason he never got a promotion. Someone has to be the ensign.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

I said this on an earlier thread, but, had Harry boned Seven in that season 4 episode where she comes on to him, it would have been basically statutory rape. Seven didn't understand sex well enough to consent. By season 7 she was functionally an adult, but in that season she was basically an autistic pre-teen who just happened to be attractive.

Also Harry wasn't allowed to have sex with her for the same reason he never got a promotion. Someone has to be the ensign.

Federation sexual morality is pretty vague. They have sex with sentient holograms that are barely more than autistic pre-teens to them. Not just a quick romp ether; the Voyager crew keep that one simulation running for months. Of course the Voyager crew may have become kind of twisted. People pick up strange habits in isolation....

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

If it weren't for the heels, it could be passed off as a hyper-efficient garment. While the costume itself was cumbersome, they could have written a throwaway line about how the ~future tailoring and space fabric of the garment the costume represented~ yielded complete freedom of movement while providing no loose fabric that could catch on anything, and also protected against burns to everywhere except the hands and face, which were left uncovered to facilitate dexterity and sense perception, etc. The overt sexiness could have even been a plot point, with Seven not really understanding (at first) why others would be so...noticeably affected by her efforts to maximize efficiency.

If it weren't for the heels.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oce/appel/ask/issues/45/45s_building_future_spacesuit.html

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Yes, exactly, a good point of comparison. Notice also, no 4" heels.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Yes, exactly, a good point of comparison. Notice also, no 4" heels.

Well it is a prototype.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rutibex posted:

Federation sexual morality is pretty vague. They have sex with sentient holograms that are barely more than autistic pre-teens to them. Not just a quick romp ether; the Voyager crew keep that one simulation running for months. Of course the Voyager crew may have become kind of twisted. People pick up strange habits in isolation....

And they have the fuckplanet with the statue you leave out to show you're DTF. Or you just read Ulysses in your tinfoil speedo and tell hot chicks to take a walk because that's how you unwind.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Well it is a prototype.

The heels lock into slots on the end of the Canadarm2. Toe goes in loop, then a bracket clamps on to the heel to secure it.

Obviously.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Otisburg posted:

And they have the fuckplanet with the statue you leave out to show you're DTF. Or you just read Ulysses in your tinfoil speedo and tell hot chicks to take a walk because that's how you unwind.

drat I wish I had the body for foil speedo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

drat I wish I had the body for foil speedo.

I assume they could configure the transporter to filter out excess body fat like viral contaminants ;-* Something has to be compensating for their cheesecake making machines and workday consisting of pushing colorful button in recliners.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey everyone, guess what's now available for purchase at the Star Trek store.

For the guys

http://shop.startrek.com/deep-space-9-obrien-suffers-t-shirt/detail.php?p=496978&v=startrek_apparel-accessories_tshirts

For the Apple Jaxes

http://shop.startrek.com/deep-space-9-obrien-suffers-womens-t-shirt/detail.php?p=496985&v=startrek_shop-by-series_DS9

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

I assume they could configure the transporter to filter out excess body fat like viral contaminants ;-* Something has to be compensating for their cheesecake making machines and workday consisting of pushing colorful button in recliners.

Unless it's also inserting muscle mass as well as removing fat, everyone would look disgusting.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Rutibex posted:

The problem is HBO shows need big sweeping narratives; Star Trek works best when it's doing something new every week. At least to me anyway, I always found the one off "lets explore this weird sci-fi concept this week" episodes way more interesting than whatever the Romulins/Dominion/Xindi or whatever was up to. Real politics is more interesting than fake TV politics; but I can't get weird sci-fi from the daily news.

The Dominion war was amazing, sorry

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Farecoal posted:

Yeah. I've been watching the final season of DS9 (again) over the past week and it still amazes me that Deep Space Nine had the grandest finale across their 9 episode arc.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Vagabundo posted:

Hey everyone, guess what's now available for purchase at the Star Trek store.

I dig this a lot, but I feel like more could've been done with the concept. I want a comic book rendering of something bad happening to O'Brien, accompanied by a villain yelling "O'Brien must suffer!" in a very loud font. Probably with a raised fist.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

For the Voyager fans

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-H...ar+trek+voyager

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Farecoal posted:

Ok yeah the Dominion was pretty cool in concept. Unfortunately those stories where interlaced with the whole Profits/wormhole aliens thing that got really dumb near the end. It started off neat; transcendental beings above normal existence/time but then it turned into space D&D.

They missed an opportunity to tie Voyager and DS9 together; if they had gone home via the gamma quadrant wormhole rather than the direct rout they could have gone through all of Dominion space along the way in the final season.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 8, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farecoal posted:

Only in contrast against the rest of Star Trek. Are there good episodes and great moments in that story arc? Absolutely. But the overall arc is heavily cliche and too dependent on convenient contrivances and bullshit surprise reversals to stand up as "amazing" in the modern television era.

Also, if we're talking about starting a new series, I really can't get behind a new Trek series as just a big space war. If you want to do a big space war, why not spin up a new setting that doesn't have decades of baggage and baked-in expectations (transporters, replicators, etc)?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Unless it's also inserting muscle mass as well as removing fat, everyone would look disgusting.

They do some aerobics in a lovely gym/corridor.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rutibex posted:

Na I'd rather use those space dumbbells with the dial-a-weight feature.

And a space squat rack.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Na I'd rather use those space dumbbells with the dial-a-weight feature.

And a space squat rack.

Maybe they alter the setting of the gravity plating and work out like a Dragonball character. That's some reliable system; doesn't even go out when they lose life support.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sash! posted:

The heels lock into slots on the end of the Canadarm2. Toe goes in loop, then a bracket clamps on to the heel to secure it.

Obviously.
Hmm. Seven's 4" heels were connector ports for her Borg vestibule. She had Borg USB ports in the bottom of her feet, and a 4" heel was the most efficient way to lock into the port with a secure connection to ensure maximum data transfer. That could work.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Knormal posted:

Hmm. Seven's 4" heels were connector ports for her Borg vestibule. She had Borg USB ports in the bottom of her feet, and a 4" heel was the most efficient way to lock into the port with a secure connection to ensure maximum data transfer. That could work.

Does this mean Locutus was strutting around in fabulous shoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Does this mean Locutus was strutting around in fabulous shoes?

You're god damned right.

• Locked thread