Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What do you think counselors do mostly anyway? They listen. Aren't you listening to me though? That makes me feel good inside...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm not giving my phone number to an unstable person who takes everything as an attack. I gave you the number you need, even if it's not the one you want.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Threads getting kind of weird, fellow dharma dudes.

Maybe you could just, you know, be excellent to each other? I think the Buddha said that. Or at least Keanu said that, and he played the Buddha, so...

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm not giving my phone number to an unstable person who takes everything as an attack. I gave you the number you need, even if it's not the one you want.
OK then

I thought you were being compassionately stern though

Turns out you're just afraid

What am I supposed to do now? Now that I know that everything you say is based in malice, and not compassion? Do you still want me to hear you out? Seems kinda weird now huh?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm gettin' creepy vibes now, do Buddhists do Auras? Some weird auric poo poo goin' down...

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

ObamaCaresHugSquad posted:

OK very few people in the world are or have been totally enlightened. Many are partially. That's not a strike against them, just shows the force of karma in action.

Anyway I don't know in what manner he was depressed or sad, and your snarky tone is not necessary.

HHDL is a nirmanakaya manifestation of the samboghakaya form of Chenrezig. Chenrezig is a Mahasattva. To say the Dalai Lama is "partially enlightened" is off point. But we don't need to fixate on him, there are other tulkus who are lineage masters and other emanations of bodhisattvas who present in a similar way. Some of them are known to be fully enlightened. You have this bizarre "take and leave" attitude.

For someone "lost in the forest but who can see the treeline," it seems somewhat foolish to look at all the people on the far side and go "no assholes, you're still in the forest too, but maybe just a little bit, so you haven't found the real way out, I'll show you!" I'm not saying that we're outside the treeline, but claiming that your own lineage master isn't "fully enlightened" is the height of arrogance.

I don't think you actually believe that. I have made many helpful posts in this thread, and also the Meditation thread. I just can't tolerate foolish thinking. And I have made every effort to be logically consistent.

For the most part, at least in the last two days, the only person who thinks your posts are helpful are you. You've also literally said "every other person who doesn't agree with me is just too stupid to understand my words." This is, again, extremely arrogant. It's also extremely wrong, as one of those skills that Dharma instills is right speech. Right speech doesn't mean exactly "saying exactly what is true." It also means "saying what is true in a way that the other person can understand." If you honestly believe that you hold a higher understanding than others, and those others don't understand simply because they are too stupid, and that you cannot possibly teach them because of their karma, you have a horribly flawed estimation of both people and Dharma. Milarepa taught Dharma to hunting dogs and deer with his great skill.

Human beings who have found Dharma, as indicated by the fact that they're in this thread, have more "karma for learning" than you seem to want to give them credit. Besides, within your own vajrayana tradition, taking Refuge is seen as a sufficient cause for the purification of all Dharma obstacles.

I have had teachers who do not speak my native tongue and who could not communicate to me directly who could still make clear the Dharma lesson they we trying to instill, but here we all stand, too stupid to understand your sublime teaching that. . . well, wait, originally it was that all emotions are pain and so we must completely forsake emotions, but now it's a whole big path, and so on.

So, my impression here is that you have a great zeal for learning Dharma, that you're yourself suffering and you feel the pain of samsara nipping at your heels, and that you set off running in a direction through those woods. Assuming you have the purest of motivation, true bodhicitta, it would seem to me to use the more conventional metaphor that you have started across the river on your boat, but seeing others also in boats other than yours, you've decided only your boat can make it. Beyond that, you're now trying to capsize and flood other people's boats to show them, and in doing so, you've fallen out of your boat and are just sort of splashing about. You can see the other side, and you thought "well, since I can see the shore, the water must be shallow!"

I hope that you can get some clarification. I hope that you can find some peace in Dharma. I, too, have a lot to learn and a lot to take in. But hopefully you can find some peace - it is very blatantly evident that you have not found any yet.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll PM you my number first then. I'll trust you not to give it out to Naropa counselors. I wouldn't call them anyway by the way.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ruddha posted:

You've spoken hypocritically and childishly a whole bunch in this thing and been shown it a bunch. You're acting like a crazy person, and if you indeed suffer some sort of mental illness, I recommend you seek medical attention and proper council.

Anyone who isn't enlightened is mentally ill IMO, so :tipshat:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm gettin' creepy vibes now, do Buddhists do Auras? Some weird auric poo poo goin' down...

I'm super unironically creeped out by his instance on my phone number and how he's acting totally manic about it.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't say everyone was stupid, just a few people. And you will note that the two people I considered intelligent disagreed with me totally.

Also I have gotten numerous PM's about my posts. Not kidding. One said my posts were a "breath of fresh air" and asked for some meditation advice.

And the rest...I dunno man...sick of replying to these types of messages. Got anything new?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm super unironically creeped out by his instance on my phone number and how he's acting totally manic about it.

Manic? I'm just saying commit to what you say. Drop the "I'm just trying to help you" airs. I didn't actually send my number yet, I don't think I trust you with it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PrinceRandom posted:

Sure, and rednecks too, there's no patent on it. Gautama and the sutras speak at length of the weird poo poo you can see when your 3rd eye opens....ask me about the 10 foot ant from outer space that was hanging out on campus corner one Friday night....

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yiggy posted:

Threads getting kind of weird, fellow dharma dudes.

Maybe you could just, you know, be excellent to each other? I think the Buddha said that. Or at least Keanu said that, and he played the Buddha, so...
Hey this is the path. If you wanna insult someone, you better be willing to commit to it. This isn't all fun and games. I gave him a way out when I said I was willing to agree to disagree. He didn't take it. What can I do?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Hey this is the path. If you wanna insult someone, you better be willing to commit to it. This isn't all fun and games. I gave him a way out when I said I was willing to agree to disagree. He didn't take it. What can I do?

As someone who has had discussions with Wafflehound before wherein neither of us agreed with each other much, my decision was to take the first exit off the roundabout and be judicious about hopping back onto it in the future. This fixation on how he is responding to you and you then feeling aggrieved by a perceived lack of understanding is not helpful to you. It is an attachment creating suffering. Wading back into a messageboard discussion (and messageboard discussions almost always go in circles) is only going to create more karma.

It is ok if you do not accept the SA Buddhism thread (which by its very nature is an agglomeration of diverse views, backgrounds and opinions, often times inconsistent) as the ultimate authority on Buddhism. In my opinion, where you go from there is well guided by Right Speech.

quote:

[1] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[2] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[5] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
To be fair, Yiggy, we've butt heads before but I respect you as knowledgable and not a creepy unstable person.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yiggy posted:

As someone who has had discussions with Wafflehound before wherein neither of us agreed with each other much, my decision was to take the first exit off the roundabout and be judicious about hopping back onto it in the future. This fixation on how he is responding to you and you then feeling aggrieved by a perceived lack of understanding is not helpful to you. It is an attachment creating suffering. Wading back into a messageboard discussion (and messageboard discussions almost always go in circles) is only going to create more karma.

It is ok if you do not accept the SA Buddhism thread (which by its very nature is an agglomeration of diverse views, backgrounds and opinions, often times inconsistent) as the ultimate authority on Buddhism. In my opinion, where you go from there is well guided by Right Speech.
Yea something like that, but you sound like he's doing nothing but setting me right. That's what I have been trying to get across to him recently. He's acting from some weird sense of malice. Don't worry about my karma. That's being taken care of on its own. Not sure what else to take from your post.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

To be fair, Yiggy, we've butt heads before but I respect you as knowledgable and not a creepy unstable person.
Good to see you've stopped pretending to try to help me. You could only help if you understood. Not sure you can understand a person if you characterize them as creepy and unstable. Too bad I guess. I think you wanted to have it both ways.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
My interactions with you aren't driven by malice and you'd benefit hugely to learn to distinguish strong criticism and concern from malice. You'd also benefit from not assuming to worst about the motivations of others.

Edit: your insistence on the phone thing is creepy as hell and I'm not the only person who has solid that you come across as unstable.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2013

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My interactions with you aren't driven by malice and you'd benefit hugely to learn to distinguish strong criticism and concern from malice. You'd also benefit from not assuming to worst about the motivations of others.
Then let's talk dude. You're still fronting (..reverse fronting)

quote:

Edit: your insurance on the phone thing is creepy as hell and I'm not the only person who has solid that you come across as unstable.
Why, because I broke the 4th wall? You want this to remain in the world of unreality. Just type and type and type

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Then let's talk dude. You're still fronting (..reverse fronting)

This is still super super super creepy to me.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Jesus you two get a room. It's the Internet, asking for a phone call is weird. Just PM or some poo poo. Christ.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is still super super super creepy to me.
OK then, again.. You are not trying to help me. You just want to be words on a computer screen. Don't pretend otherwise. I don't actually want to talk to you that bad. You've said nothing interesting that I would like to hear over again.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Jesus you two get a room. It's the Internet, asking for a phone call is weird. Just PM or some poo poo. Christ.

One time some guy from the internet offered me moonshine while telling stories about smurfs.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Paramemetic posted:

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

OK then, again.. You are not trying to help me. You just want to be words on a computer screen. Don't pretend otherwise. I don't actually want to talk to you that bad. You've said nothing interesting that I would like to hear over again.

I both want to help you and don't even remotely want you to have any kind of identifying information about me. I don't know how you can't see that this claim that I can't actually want to help you without giving you my information is really really weird and disconcerting.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Why, because I broke the 4th wall? You want this to remain in the world of unreality. Just type and type and type

Respectfully said: For the most part we're all strangers here. I wouldn't give my personal info to Paramemetic, and hes probably the most even keeled person on the boards. Assuming the utmost sincerity on your part, I would merely point out that you've regged recently, and the longer you've been on the forums you just kind of see first hand that you don't put out personal info or try to break through that fourth wall.

I mean, sure, keep butting heads in the thread but eventually a mod will just probate you, because asking for personal info is kind of creepy (no disrespect!). Dude its not worth it. If you're ok with agreeing to disagree, just do it. The neat thing about that stance is that you don't have to actually both agree to disagree for it to work.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

What would the Buddha do to break the circle.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I both want to help you and don't even remotely want you to have any kind of identifying information about me. I don't know how you can't see that this claim that I can't actually want to help you without giving you my information is really really weird and disconcerting.
The fact that you fear me so much that you think I would do something with your personal info is kinda funny. What is it do you think I would do? You assume I care much more than I actually do. I have everything I need right now. I have enough money, all the girls I meet love me for some reason (edit - to be honest not that I care much about this anymore), I have health care for life, a future plan, the works. You think I want anything from you? How funny. Like you have anything I want. I'm just saying. You have no idea who I am and yet here you are trying to "help me".

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 8, 2013

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yiggy posted:

Respectfully said: For the most part we're all strangers here. I wouldn't give my personal info to Paramemetic, and hes probably the most even keeled person on the boards. Assuming the utmost sincerity on your part, I would merely point out that you've regged recently, and the longer you've been on the forums you just kind of see first hand that you don't put out personal info or try to break through that fourth wall.

I mean, sure, keep butting heads in the thread but eventually a mod will just probate you, because asking for personal info is kind of creepy (no disrespect!). Dude its not worth it. If you're ok with agreeing to disagree, just do it. The neat thing about that stance is that you don't have to actually both agree to disagree for it to work.
I've been here since 2000. Took a 4 year break though. I don't care anymore. Probate me. I'm just trying to make a point that he's not actually trying to help me like he says he is. He doesn't have the capacity to for starters. He simply has an ideological disagreement and he ought to continue to frame it as such.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I mean now I definitely don't want to talk to him, it was just to make a point. Call me creepy, I don't care.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Yiggy posted:

Respectfully said: For the most part we're all strangers here.

Honestly, probably less that you expect. Paramemetic came to my wedding (which kiiind of lead to him posting in this thread) and my wife and I crashed on his sofa, and Quantumfate and I recently met up. Other posters and I have traded e-mail in the past (shadowstar in particular stands out). This thread tends to be pretty chummy for the most part, probably one of the most on the forums outside of the synthesizer thread and the regional threads.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I just realized that you are this thread's Bengali Tea Boy!

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

I mean now I definitely don't want to talk to him, it was just to make a point. Call me creepy, I don't care.

You're creepy, and you do care because you won't stop making four hundred thousand weird as hell posts to anyone who you think disagrees with you lol

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, I skimmed through the last couple pages of this thread, and it was not only uninformative, but combative, and stupid. Multi-page three baby bitchfights will get the thread closed, and the participants sat in separate corners for a week.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Please close it

Start fresh

edit - I will stay out of the thread on the condition that no one mention me anymore..because you have little to no idea about who I am or what I am about. And I don't know any of you either, and I never pretended I did.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I just realized that you are this thread's Bengali Tea Boy!

quote:

When the great Buddhist teacher Atisha went to Tibet... he was told the people of Tibet were very good-natured, earthy, flexible, and open; he decided they wouldn't be irritating enough to push his buttons. So he brought along with him a mean-tempered, ornery Bengali tea boy. He felt that was the only way he could stay awake. The Tibetans like to tell the story that, when he got to Tibet, he realized that he need not have brought his tea boy: the people there were not as pleasant as he had been told.
Haha I didn't know about this story. That's awesome

For most of you I've just been your Tea Boy. That is to be expected. But for a few people I've been able to be slightly more helpful. That lets me know I am describing at least something right

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 9, 2013

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

So anyway, let's get back to Dhamma!

Yiggy posted:

Are there any books you could recommend from an academic angle which addresses this kind of scholarship on early Buddhism?

I forgot to add this: The Buddhist Society of Western Australia has an interesting 9-part video course on early buddhism. Bhante Sujato leads several of the lectures. The first video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEndmSICHQY

Also, I'm going to quote this again in case it got missed in the earlier confusion:

Prickly Pete posted:

If anyone wants a print copy of Mindfulness in Plain English, for free, I just found one under my bed and will send it to you at no cost.

I received a bunch of copies last year in order to donate to our center's library and this one was lost in the shuffle. And now I am passing the savings on to some lucky lurker in this thread. I can mail things for free from my work so it won't cost anyone a penny. First reply gets it. I'll probably have more in a few months so I'll try and do this again.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I would take it but I live in Texas. So farrr...

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

PrinceRandom posted:

I would take it but I live in Texas. So farrr...

If you PM me your address I will send it to you. I can send anything anywhere in the US for free basically. You have dibs unless you say otherwise.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Woah, what did I miss this week? Reading through all that, it's crazy what kind of suffering has clearly been arising from some misunderstandings and disagreements. As far as I understand it, I don't think that what OCHS said is really all that contradictory to the Buddhism. Here's how I understand it:

-Emotions are pain, or rather, suffering
-Emotions are a conditioned state
-The four marks of existence state that everything is impermanent and full of suffering, but also offer egolessness and peace
-Emotions are suffering, because an emotion is experienced by someone, and emotions are impermanent and conditioned states
-???
-profit

Saying "a person that's enlightened still feels emotions" is making a really strange statement. Enlightenment exists outside a personal narrative, outside of conception of emotions and other phenomena. Emotions are inherently suffering because they are not outside of conception.

From one of Trungpa's books "Since enlightenment is based on dissolving the ego and its expectations, it has been said that you cannot watch your own burial, and you cannot congratulate yourself on becoming the first buddha of the age or the first buddha of New York."

In other words, yeah the Dalai Lama still feels sadness and still feels hurt, of course, but that awakened nature exists outside of the personal narrative that involves subject and object, or a self that experiences emotions. Does any of this sound completely off the mark? I'm still pretty fresh to the Dharma but this is my take on the whole original issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't care about the content as much as the deliverer and his weird "I'm closer to nirvana than you" posting style.