Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Tommofork posted:

I don't think I have mentioned that but commenting stuff out in XML is <!-- commented out stuff -->

Oh okay, I should have known to try that. Just had a bullshit computer class that went over XHTML/CSS. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Karl Sharks posted:

Oh okay, I should have known to try that. Just had a bullshit computer class that went over XHTML/CSS. Thanks!

I googled it yesterday myself. :ssh:

Well that was interesting. I did a supply run mission, the kind where you radio scavenger and then protect them while they loot. Right before the end the survivor stopped gathering and started boarding up windows while I stood by, confused.

A wave of zombies spawns in and the survivor takes up position behind the barricaded window and starts shooting out of it. I don't think I've seen that happen before.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
My Breakdown just ate three profiles worth of savegames...? Ugh, what the gently caress.

edit: But my regular State of Decay saves are okay. So frustrating and weird.

edit: But when I restarted one game, the other two profiles' worth of data magically came back. Welp. It's a good reminder to be backing poo poo up more often.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 8, 2013

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hey Goons, I've been watching this game for a while and finally got it on the steam sale. I've played about 7 hours this weekend into my first game. I'm at the first location with Lily on a radio and Ed (I think? the first guy you're with) is sick. I completed the quest to get medicine for him, traded some ammo for food, investigated the army who kindly told me to gently caress off and thats pretty much where I am.

I have a few newb questiosn though.

When I was scavenging supplies, I turned a house into a food resource. Is this what an outpost is? If not, how do I set up an outpost? Is there an limited # of resource generating places I can have?

Is there a story all the way through? Or is it up to me to leave the first base after the starting area?

Can I force resources to be a certain type in anyway? How do I generate medical supplies? Do I have to find a medical resource? Basically, can some explain resources to me like a child?

I've found two groups of friendly surviors, how do I raise trust and get them to become part of my group?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Does anyone know if it's a bug where your snacks get eaten instead of the real food you had? I just came back, only after a few hours, where I had 100 or so rations of food but for some reason my survivors thought it'd be better to eat over 100 things of snacks :wtc:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
e: ^^^ Happens to me all the time. They even eat snacks out of their inventory. It seems like a bug - they go through the entire snack stockpile before they start eating the regular food stockpile. It's probably supposed to be reversed. It's really loving annoying because it means you never have enough snacks to go around.

Waroduce posted:

Hey Goons, I've been watching this game for a while and finally got it on the steam sale. I've played about 7 hours this weekend into my first game. I'm at the first location with Lily on a radio and Ed (I think? the first guy you're with) is sick. I completed the quest to get medicine for him, traded some ammo for food, investigated the army who kindly told me to gently caress off and thats pretty much where I am.

When I was scavenging supplies, I turned a house into a food resource. Is this what an outpost is? If not, how do I set up an outpost? Is there an limited # of resource generating places I can have?

Is there a story all the way through? Or is it up to me to leave the first base after the starting area?

Can I force resources to be a certain type in anyway? How do I generate medical supplies? Do I have to find a medical resource? Basically, can some explain resources to me like a child?

I've found two groups of friendly surviors, how do I raise trust and get them to become part of my group?

A resource item just represents enough of a certain resource to fill one rucksack. If you find one, you collect it by picking it up and carrying it back to your home base. Returning a load of resources to your home base supply cabinet will add them to your stockpile. You can only carry one at a time, but you can call a scavenger every few minutes to come to the house and pick up one randomly-selected resource item (this can be found in the radio menu). Resources are usually found in logical places - medicine cabinets in houses are a good spot to find meds, as are stores and pharmacies, for example.

Outposts are created by standing in a cleared, fully-searched building, opening the radio menu, and selecting 'create outpost'. Outposts generate a certain amount of resources per day based on which resource items were in the building when the outpost was created, but consume a small amount of Materials every day. An outpost in a building with no resources will generate Ammo. Once you've created the outpost, you can and should clear out the remaining resources and carry them back to base, they don't do any good sitting around the outpost and it will continue generating a daily resource income regardless. Outposts also contain a supply locker you can use to restock or drop off scavenged weapons/items (but not resources!), and have traps that will automatically destroy hordes that come too close.

You raise the trust of friendly survivor groups by doing missions for them that occasionally pop up, helping them out when they're attacked or otherwise in trouble, and through trading with them. Once trust is maxed out they'll offer to join you.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Karl Sharks posted:

Does anyone know if it's a bug where your snacks get eaten instead of the real food you had? I just came back, only after a few hours, where I had 100 or so rations of food but for some reason my survivors thought it'd be better to eat over 100 things of snacks :wtc:

Thank you!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tommofork posted:

I googled it yesterday myself. :ssh:

Well that was interesting. I did a supply run mission, the kind where you radio scavenger and then protect them while they loot. Right before the end the survivor stopped gathering and started boarding up windows while I stood by, confused.

A wave of zombies spawns in and the survivor takes up position behind the barricaded window and starts shooting out of it. I don't think I've seen that happen before.

That's the vigilance and enclave defense behaviors. They shouldn't be triggering during a scavenger run. :stare:

What the gently caress was happening around the scavenger while that was going on? That's really interesting. I ask because i'm really considering trying to fix up the AI so it does all of the tasks properly. Also, which building was he scavenging? Was it a home base, or somewhere else?

Also, the more I look at AI priorities for tasks, the more I see how broken it appears to be. When I get the chance i'll post a list of the primary tasks. Like maybe a third of them actually take place regularly. It's really hosed up. If even half of them were done the game would be far more replayable and enjoyable, I think. They'd actually defend locations intelligently, set up defenses and traps, and generally be pretty self sufficient.

Edit: Also, how would people feel about an adjusted breakdown difficulty level? This would be a special difficulty level where you have the difficulty of zombies per, say, level 6 or so, but resources and survivors wouldn't be as scarce, meaning you could play indefinitely easier if you wanted.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 9, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Should I worry about the population of my homebase before setting up outposts? If I make too many too soon, am I spreading everybody too thin and effectively exiling a single person to have to defend a little out of the way location from any zombie that wanders by?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Archonex posted:

Also, the more I look at AI priorities for tasks, the more I see how broken it appears to be. When I get the chance i'll post a list of the primary tasks. Like maybe a third of them actually take place regularly. It's really hosed up. If even half of them were done the game would be far more replayable and enjoyable, I think. They'd actually defend locations intelligently, set up defenses and traps, and generally be pretty self sufficient.

I would appreciate you looking at that. A lot of other modifications are pretty straightforward, but the AI behavior is way out there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jerusalem posted:

Should I worry about the population of my homebase before setting up outposts? If I make too many too soon, am I spreading everybody too thin and effectively exiling a single person to have to defend a little out of the way location from any zombie that wanders by?

From what i've seen survivors don't actually man outposts. Go wild, make as many as you want.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

dogstile posted:

From what i've seen survivors don't actually man outposts. Go wild, make as many as you want.

I think they were supposed to at some point during development, that might be the source of the bug at Snyder's where most of your population run to nearby outposts and just stand around.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

dogstile posted:

You are capped on number of outposts you can have by the home base you have. If you get the message that you are spread too thin it's not that you don't have the man power to maintain them (like adding survivors will change that number) you are hard capped by the game...I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ah okay, thanks - I know a bunch of spots that will be a big bonus to resources then that I can make use of, maybe Maya didn't die in vain after all.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Strange happenings at the warehouse today.

Lily spent a portion of the afternoon driving her invisible desk around camp.

Some survivors have taken to barricading the gates with their own bodies.

---

Breakdown has been fun, but I wish there was more to everything. Manned outposts, assigning survivors jobs, things happening while you're out, sieges on your base, actual conflict between survivors, miscellaneous facility choice having actual weight and on and on and on. Even with difficulty increasing steadily each level, once you get the knack for things, you're only risking death when you're reckless, handicap yourself or ... are just ludicrously overwhelmed. Plowing through a bloater before launching a hatchback off a hill into a zombie-filled field and hoping to land upright was definitely on me when it went terribly wrong. The same goes for intentionally choosing a home site or layout that isn't optimum. I think some increased element of randomness or chaos would increase replay value.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LeJackal posted:

I would appreciate you looking at that. A lot of other modifications are pretty straightforward, but the AI behavior is way out there.

So things on my to do list:

Update survivor AI to be more intelligent - This is the big project of the bunch. In fact, I may actually need help to do everything I want to do in this one.
1. Make them better about shooting things. This is most evident if you enable calling SWAT backup. They barely shoot at all.
2. Enable and fix up the AI priority for defending and maintaining a base.
3. Enable more than 1 survivor to accompany you.
4. Enable scavengers to come to a location at your beck and call. The cooldown for this is stupid. (Done.)

Optional update to make ammo a bit more plentiful.

1. The way I want to do this is to make it so that ammo stocks are increased per day similar to food and medicine. It doesn't make sense that part of your food and medicine stockpiles are cracked open every day to be put into the stash, but bullets aren't. This should effect and deepen gameplay by a fair bit while still remaining that element of scarcity that can pop up. This also is less "cheaty" and more of a long lasting change than just increasing direct ammo drops from turning in rucksacks and looting stuff.

This way you're encouraged to ration the resource if it's low, and you still have to think before blowing a cache on a big encounter, deepening gameplay and making you think about when you want to go all rambo on the zombie menace to ensure a mission gets done. This also should increase the depth of the RTS meta-game, since you'll want to devote outposts to ammo generation to ensure you have a positive ammo gain for longer games.

Optional update to make the zombie apocalypse more of a zombie apocalypse.

1. Make them more numerous.
2. Add in an option for shamblers only (With a mandatory number increase.) for hardcore zombie spergs.
3. Look at the feasibility of increasing the danger of hordes once the AI for survivors is fixed up a bit. IE: Ever wanted a horde of 20 shamblers to hit a base? This would be your ticket if mixed with the old school zombie option. Or you could just leave the horde as it is in vanilla, and get zerged by runners and sprinters mixed in with shamblers.
4. See about the possibility of a chance to introduce sickness on bites. This may require tweaking medical facilities a bit, or re-enabling the disabled medical skills.
5. See about the feasibility of increasing horde activity and aggressiveness. As it currently is, part of the reason the game gets boring is that once you set up outposts at choke points you're pretty much set to do whatever. Having the hordes cluster up into groups occasionally so that they could push past your outposts through sheer weight of numbers might make things more interesting.

Optional update to make the home selection system a bit more realistic.
1. The Romero mod addresses this, but only in the form of a cheat mod that breaks gameplay. It doesn't make sense that you need ____ people to inhabit a location. I mean, that's how poo poo starts to go down in the movies! Some idiots think five of them can defend an entire mall, and then they are proven horribly wrong when someone cocks up. Cue tragedy. :v:

To that end, you should just need the materials to inhabit a location. There shouldn't be a survivor limit to do so. The materials account for the requirements to fortify the location so that it gets all the accouterments you see when you move into a base.

I've already worked on this a bit, and the results are hilarious. A feral freak snuck into the fair grounds and ripped a survivor apart when the others were busy defending against a swarm of zombies with guns up on the bleachers. Really makes you think about whether you actually should move into that awesome base before doing so, as opposed to it being just a tiered progression. Especially if you have increased numbers of zombies in the world.

2. You should be able to deconstruct facilities at the cost of some materials being used up to do it. They're built in, so it makes sense that you'd have to use some building materials to get them out. Not sure if this is doable yet, but i'll take a look at it.

3. See if activity points in homes are modifiable and assignable without the CryEngine SDK. If so, it should theoretically be possible to create new home sites from scratch.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 9, 2013

RenegadeZombie
Jan 21, 2013
Great job on the modding tools, Archonex. Makes it super easy to make my own modifications quickly. Looking forward to your AI overhaul/fix. Really, all those ideas posted sound good.

On another note, has anyone been able to find the values controlling outpost resource calculations? I have been searching through the files, but can't find what file contains it. Want to increase the resource gain from 3 if possible. I only have the base game, but I would think its the same file for breakdown also.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I'm about 5 hours in and I'm at the survivor camp at the church. I just did the mission where I try to find meds for Ed. Should I be able to upgrade my church base yet or am I still in the beginning of the game because I don't see any options to upgrade anything.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

^^^
I can't remember. :(

Archonex posted:

That's the vigilance and enclave defense behaviors. They shouldn't be triggering during a scavenger run. :stare:

What the gently caress was happening around the scavenger while that was going on? That's really interesting. I ask because i'm really considering trying to fix up the AI so it does all of the tasks properly. Also, which building was he scavenging? Was it a home base, or somewhere else?

Nothing was happening. The mission progressed as usual, but during a lull when the gather bar got to about 95% complete the survivor stopped gathering and barricaded two windows. Once that was finished a larger wave of zombies spawned and he got some shots off from the window. Once the wave was dead he did the last bit of gathering and we took off.

It was in the house I'm standing in front of.

quote:

Edit: Also, how would people feel about an adjusted breakdown difficulty level? This would be a special difficulty level where you have the difficulty of zombies per, say, level 6 or so, but resources and survivors wouldn't be as scarce, meaning you could play indefinitely easier if you wanted.

A few people have asked for something like this.

Archonex posted:

So things on my to do list:

Optional update to make ammo a bit more plentiful.

1. The way I want to do this is to make it so that ammo stocks are increased per day similar to food and medicine. It doesn't make sense that part of your food and medicine stockpiles are cracked open every day to be put into the stash, but bullets aren't. This should effect and deepen gameplay by a fair bit while still remaining that element of scarcity that can pop up. This also is less "cheaty" and more of a long lasting change than just increasing direct ammo drops from turning in rucksacks and looting stuff.

I think this is sort of possible. I've been playing around with rtsevents.xml in game\libs\class3.1\rts and seeing if I could prevent the game resetting your snacks and bullets each time you haven't played for >14 hours and the simulated progression is triggered. I can't find a way to stop the game from resetting snacks to 0 as that seems to be a bug but I can change how much it adds back based on your food supply. It gets set to 0 then new snacks are added, in theory it should work the same way for ammo. It's handled by the actions under SandboxEvent_Home_DailyReset.

quote:

2. You should be able to deconstruct facilities at the cost of some materials being used up to do it. They're built in, so it makes sense that you'd have to use some building materials to get them out. Not sure if this is doable yet, but i'll take a look at it.

This is doable in game\libs\class3.1\rts\facilities.xml. It's just a matter of copying the destroy building action from a normal building variant to the built in building variants, adding an input section to the new action which can be copied from a legit upgrade. You can season the material/influence cost to taste.

As a general modding aside, you can modify the cost of putting/taking out items from the stash but it only takes effect after the daily summary has triggered. The variable is CostScalar in rtsevents.xml. I think that the same variable in enclaves.xml varies the cost of giving/taking items from an enclave stash, but I haven't tested if it works yet as :effort:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rad Valtar posted:

So I'm about 5 hours in and I'm at the survivor camp at the church. I just did the mission where I try to find meds for Ed. Should I be able to upgrade my church base yet or am I still in the beginning of the game because I don't see any options to upgrade anything.

After that mission you can start upgrading, but the UI is sort of obtuse. Go into the base readout and click on the infirmary, then look for the arrow pointing upward.

You probably don't have enough materials set up yet so you'll have to go scavange some of those.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Bummed out since I noticed that the zombies not showing up on radar thing defaults to showing zombies again whenever I load a game. I thought maybe I had screwed something but after disabling mods it still happens.

Surprise me drat it. :(

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tommofork posted:

Bummed out since I noticed that the zombies not showing up on radar thing defaults to showing zombies again whenever I load a game. I thought maybe I had screwed something but after disabling mods it still happens.

Surprise me drat it. :(

They do show up when they initially detect you or if you search a house (IE: Go to all the dots, which gives you a limited radius of radar around the house so you can properly secure it.) fully. Or are they always visible? I don't think the latter should be happening, though I could be mistaken.

With the current "more zombies" setup i've got going this leads to some hilarious pants making GBS threads moments when you have to fire a gun to survive. Sometimes you'll see 50 white dots light up on the minimap as every zombie in five blocks decides to see what that loud bang noise was, since the game decided to move/spawn them there while offline mode was running.

It's definitely funny, and sprinting back home with a train of zombies on your rear end is hilarious, but i'm not sure it's quite balanced yet. Then again that is kind of the point of a zombie apocalypse I guess.

I will say that with the mods i've set up, i'm finally having a hard time surviving. I've had some hilariously hosed up deaths. Playing on Breakdown level 6 is alternatively a magical and horrifying experience. I should have about 15 survivors now, but i'm hiding out at Trumbull County Fair Grounds with only maybe 8 since a fairly decent number of them have died from being blind-sided or doing something stupid.

That includes a feral breaking into our compound and ripping a survivor apart as everyone tried to beat off the two hordes outside, numerous situations where I fired a gun when I thought it was safe only to see a swarm of white dots come running from every direction, and a countless number of disasters that occurred from trying to wipe out infestations without the proper supplies, which are absolutely needed now to safely do it.

Still kind of need the ammo thing working to balance out the difficulty though. Once that's done I think I could release something. Swore I wasn't going to work on this until after this week, but I couldn't sleep so I figured i'd make use of the time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 9, 2013

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Mister Bates covered most of this, but here's a little more info:

- Your maximum number of outposts is limited by the size of your home base. You can see this (and view/interact with your outposts) at the bottom of the base page in your journal.
- There is indeed a story with a beginning, middle, and end. You will eventually run out of resources and items to pillage, but you should unlock the final mission long before that point.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the help before, I played some more yesterday, and created my first outpost at the farm you rescue Lilys brother at because it was a fuel source, and I couldn't find any other fuel sources around the church. I figured it'd be nice to have an outpost out near the middle of the map to dump supplies into as well on runs.

Can I destroy that outpost if I decide I don't like it anymore/want to move somewhere else? When I move bases, do i lose all my outposts?

Also, I just got Lilys brother and I have two story missions I believe. I have to meet the judge amd whatever pops up right after grabbing Lilys bro. Id really like to take time to consolidate my resources and clear some infestations, do these story missions expire? I'm not really sure when I can take time off from the missions, as I don't wanna miss anything.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Thanks for the help before, I played some more yesterday, and created my first outpost at the farm you rescue Lilys brother at because it was a fuel source, and I couldn't find any other fuel sources around the church. I figured it'd be nice to have an outpost out near the middle of the map to dump supplies into as well on runs.

Can I destroy that outpost if I decide I don't like it anymore/want to move somewhere else? When I move bases, do i lose all my outposts?

Just a heads up, you really don't use fuel nearly enough to warrant an outpost for it. You really only use it for outpost traps and any explosive stuff you make.

Most people do leave a free slot to throw an outpost down while scavenging so you can dump all the good stuff in an area quickly and then destroy it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Karl Sharks posted:

Most people do leave a free slot to throw an outpost down while scavenging so you can dump all the good stuff in an area quickly and then destroy it.

Thats really smart. Thanks for the tip

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I get a Juggernaut Spotted mission from the zombie farmer looking guy you get for killing Bloaters on level 2. I pick him up in an old pickup truck and he gets in the back. I drive us to the field that the fatso was lumbering around in and run over his little zombie friends. When I stop the truck and get out, ready to m60 the fatso, the guy leaps out of the back of the truck and yells "I'mma bust a cap in yo fool rear end!", runs up to the bigun and starts stabbing the poo poo out of him. The bigun is stun-locked and the guy kills it before I get ten rounds off.

I really need to see him fight a Feral now.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

I can't seem to get the xml2bmd thing to work. It pops up with a console window for about half a second saying "one or more arguments are not correct" I think. No idea what is wrong there. I'm running windows 7, for the record.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

I can't seem to get the xml2bmd thing to work. It pops up with a console window for about half a second saying "one or more arguments are not correct" I think. No idea what is wrong there. I'm running windows 7, for the record.

That's what happens if you open it without the XML file selected. I walked through how to do it in the manual, but you have to drag the XML file onto the BMD converter app. It'll run the conversion process automatically and output the win.BMD file into the same folder/directory as the converter.

If that's not working then something else is going on there. Not sure what, since i'd need more info.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

You can remove outposts from the base page in the notebook interface. It (annoyingly) takes one minute to delete an outpost.

If you transfer bases, you only lose outposts if you move to a smaller base (since base size determines your maximum number of outposts). If you move to a bigger base, your outposts will all still be in place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there ever any reason to use the Alamo as a base? Even if your group is tiny, why wouldn't you just use the Savini residence instead?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Archonex posted:

That's what happens if you open it without the XML file selected. I walked through how to do it in the manual, but you have to drag the XML file onto the BMD converter app. It'll run the conversion process automatically and output the win.BMD file into the same folder/directory as the converter.

If that's not working then something else is going on there. Not sure what, since i'd need more info.

Ah, okay. I thought it would pop up with an area to drag it into. Thanks.

As an apology, have an interesting anecdote. I had to help a runner on one of the bridges to the fairgrounds, but it seemed like she was underneath, so I hop down there. She wasn't, but saw a fatty and just turned around, no big deal. I get back into my car and drive over the bridge and bam, front of the car busted. :iiam:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there ever any reason to use the Alamo as a base? Even if your group is tiny, why wouldn't you just use the Savini residence instead?

Sometimes other survivors set up there before you.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Atmus posted:

Sometimes other survivors set up there before you.

It's also got better defensive AI than the Savini residence. I've yet to see more than the guy in the watchtower defend Savini with guns. But the Alamo will, with enough survivors with guns on standby, sometimes set up a straight up zombie style turkey shoot.

You'll know when it happens since they'll be positioned at every corner of the roof, blowing away zombies like it's no big deal. If you've got a couple people with grenade launchers it gets hilarious since they carpet the entire area of the town in mortar-like explosions.

Granted, if the AI was fixed so that they did this all the time Savini might be better. But i'm not sure if they have as many defensive points as the Alamo does.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 9, 2013

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Savini residence doesn't have calacas lining the walls :colbert:

Also, whoever posted that increased ammo mod is a good guy. I managed to get lucky and find two stashes of 30 grenades and it turns out hordes stop being an issue when you've got those and an M32.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Feeble posted:

Also, whoever posted that increased ammo mod is a good guy. I managed to get lucky and find two stashes of 30 grenades and it turns out hordes stop being an issue when you've got those and an M32.

The other handy thing is after you crack an Ammo Box you swim in about 1,000 Influence.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

LeJackal posted:

The other handy thing is after you crack an Ammo Box you swim in about 1,000 Influence.

This makes me want to finish up my resource granting mod I mentioned, since the current mod is pretty game breaking and more of a "go loving nuts on zombies" cheat mod.

In other news, I found the actual data that handles zombie density. Breakdown has 11 levels of difficulty that are levied against this data.

It's also interesting in that the code confirms my suspicion that zombie density is different according to geographical location. Meaning places like the ranger station and the farmhouse technically do have a use if you don't just globally ramp up up horde density to insane levels like how the Romero's mod does.

Modifying this in conjunction with the breakdown zombie density settings should make creating a more deadly zombie apocalypse extremely easy. It also could be adjusted to make city areas and town areas far more dangerous, giving a logical trade-off to actually basing yourself there as opposed to somewhere more out of the way.

The file in question also contains parameters for the zombie AI. It seems a bit toned down. Probably because with how random and wonky the current survivor AI is, it'd drive min-maxers up a wall to have a swarm of zombies assault the Alamo or Savini residence because someone fired a gun. May look at changing that if I get the chance.

code:
-<Subgroup Name="Density">-<Value Name="Agricultural" Default="50"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
</Value>-<Value Name="Commercial" Default="100"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
</Value>-<Value Name="Industrial" Default="75"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
</Value>-<Value Name="Park" Default="35"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
</Value>-<Value Name="Residential" Default="100"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
</Value>-<Value Name="Wilderness" Default="20"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
</Value>-<Value Name="Interior" Default="3"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
</Value>-<Value Name="InteriorCap" Default="5"><NameText Text="" Notes="" Flags=""/>
There's also some other neat stuff in that file, but i'll have to post it in a bit.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 9, 2013

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Thank you for all the mod work. As a new player, I'm going through the vanilla game, but I can't wait to install your stuff once I beat it and get my feet under me

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Archonex posted:

They do show up when they initially detect you or if you search a house (IE: Go to all the dots, which gives you a limited radius of radar around the house so you can properly secure it.) fully. Or are they always visible? I don't think the latter should be happening, though I could be mistaken.

When I start a game with the dots disabled, white/red dots do not show at all, no matter how much noise I make or how many zombies I piss off. As soon as I go the main menu or exit the game and reload the zombies show up on the radar like any other level.

Is there ever any reason not to use the Alamo as a base? :colbert: It is the best base by far in terms of awesome poo poo going down right outside your door and there's plenty of interesting places to go within walking distance.

Feeble posted:

The Savini residence doesn't have calacas lining the walls :colbert:

:3: Yeah, the M32 is an incredible amount of fun. Those zombie ragdolls... :allears:

LeJackal posted:

Unintended side effect. :colbert: Influence is pretty much a joke beyond the first half hour so I don't feel too bad about tanking it, but it would be nice for it to continue being relevant. With my group that's gone from breakdown 1 to 7, the biggest limiting factor on influence is my stash being full, so I can't put stuff in to gain influence without taking stuff out and losing influence. I may try lowering the influence softcap so it bleeds off faster.

Archonex posted:

This makes me want to finish up my resource granting mod I mentioned, since the current mod is pretty game breaking and more of a "go loving nuts on zombies" cheat mod.

Yeah that's pretty much how it was intended. I think a serious pass at ammo balance will be fine just by upping the amount of ammo that can be stacked together and slightly upping how much ammo the daily events give. The cool part about upping the amount of ammo that stacks together is that it also increases the 60 round limit in the stash. So instead of the game resetting stashed ammo back to 60 for ~some reasons~ it can be capped at a max of 255. You'll still have to scrounge up all the ammo but now you can hold onto it for a lot longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So I checked out rtsevents.xml. This file contains everything that handles global and local events in the game, so far as I can tell.

If you think something's hardcoded? Odds are it's in there.

So far i've figured out how to enable/disable when all the different freak types unlock and start spawning in the game, the required variable to add the various radio skills to characters (along with parsing out the general code structure that'd help for making your own special characters with unique traits), how to start a game in "drifter" (IE: No home base selected, need to join an enclave first to get the usual breakdown facility/community gameplay.) mode, controls for tweaking the max amount of resources obtained from outposts (Meaning you can now get fuel.), finer controls for zombie spawning, and what appears to be alternate spawning controls for when night falls.

Which reminds me. Apparently when night falls spawning in terms of zombie density is handled differently. Apparently the variables aren't that different, but it could be used to make scavenging at night extremely dangerous if you wanted to turn the game into a hardcore zombie sim affair.

I never would have found this out unless I methodically read down this huge file. The problem is that this thing isn't formatted in any way that's not a huge run on list of events, so it takes patience to get through it. I'm maybe 1/18th of the way through it currently too.

Edit: Another fun fact. The game has lots of features most people will never see. Case in point, what happens if you start trying to horde too many vehicles in the same area? It gets relocated with a message that one of your survivors took it out for a joy ride. Apparently your survivor pals are dicks that prefer having fun over living. :argh:

I also found what appears to be "losing conditions" for longer games. Maybe it's just a vanilla thing, but there's a variable that handles the maximum amount of infestations that can occur. Apparently there's also a late game variant that ups the ante and can result in the valley getting overrun if they aren't cleared out.

I also found evidence of hostile survivors, and this, which is confusingly named, but hilarious.

quote:

Action PauseWhenOffline="" OutputDelayTime="0.0" ExecuteTimeStandard="0.0" ActionType="Action.Passive" ActionId="SetUnlock_Asshole"

Not bothering to manually format that one, but yeah. Not even sure what enemy type assholes are supposed to be in this context.

Edit: Also I think I found some of the unimplemented generator code. Not really detailed enough to be sure, but it appears to reference blackouts occurring. Would need to track down the rest of it to be sure.

Did this game have Xbox avatar rewards too?

quote:

-<Outputs>-<AvatarAsset><AvatarAsset Id="6" Name="ZOMBIEMASK"/></AvatarAsset><Console_Command Command="LOG: ZOMBIEMASK avatar award"/></Outputs>

I also just found the RTS events handling the daily payout of items. Turns out ammo is a thing, only it's randomized. If I can find the randomized portion of the event I can tweak it a bit. Never mind, I found it.

I won't post all of the code here, since the extended code includes reams of code determining what each chance of proccing ammo gets you, but here's the odds of getting an ammo payout each day. Each AltOdds is basically the chance per ammo type that you get more ammo in your supply cache.

code:
<Alt AltOdds="12.5" AltId="Ammo22"/>

<Alt AltOdds="14.28" AltId="Ammo40"/>

<Alt AltOdds="14.28" AltId="Ammo40"/>

<Alt AltOdds="16.7" AltId="Ammo44"/>

<Alt AltOdds="20.0" AltId="Ammo45"/>

<Alt AltOdds="20.0" AltId="Ammo50"/>

<Alt AltOdds="25.0" AltId="Ammo9"/>

<Alt AltOdds="33.3" AltId="Ammo556"/>

<Alt AltOdds="50.0" AltId="Ammo762"/>

<Alt AltOdds="100.0" AltId="AmmoShotgun"/>
Hilariously enough, you have a 100 percent chance to get shotgun shells from the daily cache payout. This probably is to offset how lovely they are without specializing in them. Nowhere in the game did I see a tip that pointed that out to the player, which lead me to assume that shotguns were more of a joke weapon than anything else.

That actually can potentially make them really goddamn useful for longer term high difficulty/low resource games, provided you train someone up to use them.

Kind of curious that .22 caliber bullets are such a rare chance too. Especially since they're not really assigned to any spectacular guns (Mostly dinky pistols.). But maybe that's offset by the loot drop chance they have from scavenging in the game world. I'd have to find that code first to tell.

There's actually a lot of stuff I see there that i've never seen in game that comes from various resource bonuses. Like getting a daily supply of suppressor's for materials. Though maybe my play style means I miss it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 10, 2013

• Locked thread