Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I'm not a big curry fan, either, but there are a decent number of Indian dishes I love that are not curry based. I make a huge pot of these lentils/beans all the drat time (minus the curry powder). We love aloo bhaji (for some reason this recipe doesn't include jeera seeds, but I use a teaspoon of them, too, crackled with the mustard seeds), and you can make vegan vegetable tikka masala, too. I like to use roasted cauliflower and cubed zucchini in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I bought a Panasonic microwave a few years back and it just poo poo the bed on me. It seems to be a widespread problem with Panasonic and I didn't bother to check before I bought it because microwaves last forever, right?

So goons with chickencheese, what do you recommend for reheating said chickencheese using ~12.2 centimeter long radio waves?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Scott Bakula posted:

Looking at this again, do I really use a whole nutmeg? That seems an awful lot

I knew a dude who ground up a whole nutmeg into some boiling water and then drank the resultant tea. He was high for 2 days. Go for it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phone posted:

I bought a Panasonic microwave a few years back and it just poo poo the bed on me. It seems to be a widespread problem with Panasonic and I didn't bother to check before I bought it because microwaves last forever, right?

So goons with chickencheese, what do you recommend for reheating said chickencheese using ~12.2 centimeter long radio waves?

Personally, I've been a big fan of Sharp microwaves. Had a carousel version that lasted from the time I was born up through my early 20s.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Edit: having a look it seems its fine

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey my mozzarella has air bubbles. Toss?

Edit: as in, blisters of air coming out of the mozz balls

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 7, 2013

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Hey my mozzarella has air bubbles. Toss?

No; you invented Swizzerella. Rejoice.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Very Strange Things posted:

No; you invented Swizzerella. Rejoice.

Didn't pr0k's mom star in that?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've never used a mandolin. Reviews for the things make it sound like they're trying to cut your fingers off. Are they really that dangerous?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

me your dad posted:

I've never used a mandolin. Reviews for the things make it sound like they're trying to cut your fingers off. Are they really that dangerous?

Yes and no: some people just shouldn't be allowed to use sharp objects, ever... and mandolins are one of the sharpest kitchen implements you can buy.

But yeah, use it with care and they are as safe as anything else we do in the kitchen.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

They can be if you don't take safety precautions. If you are worried about cutting yourself, use a kevlar glove. otherwise use make sure you have a good grasp on the Holder and make sure it has a good grip on the food.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So one of the things I asked for Christmas is a food dehydrator to make beef jerky with. What kind of cuts of beef should I be looking for deals for so I can stock up now?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

me your dad posted:

I just throw away the last inch or so of food and work carefully.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If I use an eggwhite raft to clarify chicken stock, is skimming still recommended? Will not doing so cause any bitterness or adverse flavors?

Agar Clarification 4 Lyfe.

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/07/14/agar-clarification-made-stupid-simple-best-technique-yet/

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Any tried and true recipes for sauerkraut? I'd like it to be as authentic as possible and to be able to make small batches at a time, if possible.

EDIT: There's a NICSA thread. :doh:

internet inc fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 7, 2013

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Hey all, I'm currently soaking some red beans for some spicy (Louisiana?) style red beans and rice. The recipe calls for adding pretty much all the ingredients in one go (save the rice), and simmering for three to four hours. I've got two issues with this, as one, it calls for adding salt right at the onset. I've always heard this ruins, or at least makes the beans take that much longer to cook. The other is the length, as four hours seems way too long to cook beans. Here is the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-red-beans-and-rice-48913

I was going to hold off the salt until the end originally, but now I'm wondering if the length of the cooking is to fully break down the goodiness of the ham hock, and adding salt will keep the beans from getting mushy at that length of cooking. Appreciate any help, thanks!

And it just occurred to me the hot sauce is probably acidic, which I think has the same effect on beans, so same question there.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You're kinda overthinking it; salt and acid do result in longer cooking times, but I've only had problems with black beans taking forever to get creamy. I've never had a problem with red beans. They're usually finished in less than four hours though. I guess if you wanted to get finicky with it you could make a pork stock with the ham hock, then add beans and cook until creamy before adding seasoning and hot sauce. The recipe you're using looks decent, but I would definitely add some sliced andouille sausage with the beans. It looks like its also missing green pepper from the trinity. This is the recipe I usually use and its always come out amazing: http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yes and no: some people just shouldn't be allowed to use sharp objects, ever... and mandolins are one of the sharpest kitchen implements you can buy.

But yeah, use it with care and they are as safe as anything else we do in the kitchen.

It's not just that they're sharp, they basically work like a vegetable reverse guillotine-the momentum of the object you're sliding down the mandolin does a lot of the work. That's what happens in my head anyway.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

GordonComstock posted:

Hey all, I'm currently soaking some red beans for some spicy (Louisiana?) style red beans and rice. The recipe calls for adding pretty much all the ingredients in one go (save the rice), and simmering for three to four hours. I've got two issues with this, as one, it calls for adding salt right at the onset. I've always heard this ruins, or at least makes the beans take that much longer to cook. The other is the length, as four hours seems way too long to cook beans. Here is the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-red-beans-and-rice-48913

I was going to hold off the salt until the end originally, but now I'm wondering if the length of the cooking is to fully break down the goodiness of the ham hock, and adding salt will keep the beans from getting mushy at that length of cooking. Appreciate any help, thanks!

And it just occurred to me the hot sauce is probably acidic, which I think has the same effect on beans, so same question there.

I'm a big proponent of cooking beans with salt, it hasn't ever affected the end product for me. It's the conventional wisdom that salted beans are supposed to take longer to finish, but I haven't experienced that yet. The amount of hot sauce probably won't be enough to affect the acidity that much either so don't worry about that.

Bean cooking time depends on a lot of different factors, so it's good to just check occasionally and stop cooking them when they're done. It's also good to check a couple of beans since some individual beans will finish before the rest of the beans. That said, it looks like the recipe you linked has you put the dry beans directly into the pot. In that case, 4 hours may be necessary. Since you're soaking them though, it's going to be way less than that.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I salt my soaking water as well, enough that I can taste that it's salty. Then I cook the beans in salty water.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 7, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

fizzymercy posted:

Um, cilantro is the best herb there is and I have heard tales of savory coconut sticky rice, but never trusted the sources talking about it (vegans that think Boca burgers are food :rolleyes:). Yes please and a lot of thank yous!

Hey! I think I promised this recipe / method to you Thursday night but here it is now, hope you're still here to see it. If not, welp, this recipe is still awesome and everyone should make it because oh my god sticky rice oh my god.

A NOTE ON EQUIPMENT: I personally use a regular American vegetable steamer basket with the little pole and ring in the middle unscrewed, plus a mesh-bottomed steamer thing from my local korean market. I honestly have no idea what the thing is called, but it looks like a springform ring with a mesh bottom. I'm sure there are other methods but this is what I use, and it works perfectly. That's honestly the only weird bit of equipment I need, and the thing cost maybe $3 at the market so it makes sense to buy one, given how often I use it.

Soak 1.5 cups sweet rice / sticky rice (it's a medium grain rice, I've only ever bought it at the local korean market so I'm not sure how hard it is to find?) in water for at least one hour. Many recipes dictate it should be several hours but I found that, if you use warm water, an hour is totally sufficient. Once it's soaked, just dump the whole thing, water and all, into the mesh-bottomed steamer to strain the rice. Rinse it thoroughly, til the water runs clear. Once that's done, put it the mesh-bottom steamer above some water in your regular steamer basket to steam for about 20-25 minutes.

While the rice is steaming, get the sauce ready. The basic idea is that you create a cup or so of some super-flavorful sauce with salt, sugar, and coconut milk. Full fat is super tasty, but lo fat works too. I typically use one can and some grated ginger, garlic, soy sauce or salt, and a bit of some kind of sweetner (agave nectar or brown / palm sugar). I like to sometimes put a bunch of siracha, and / or some toasted sesame oil. I've also taken the coconut milk and thrown in a bunch of cilantro stems, pureed, and then used that--it ends up super flavorful. Once it's reduced some and the rice is done, I add lime juice to the sauce and kill the heat. If you use the low-fat coconut milk, I sometimes make a cornstarch slurry with the lime juice and let it cook a little longer just to thicken it up a bit at the end. I also (and this is not vegan) sometimes poach shrimp in the sauce until just under done and then remove to the bowl to combine with the hot rice where it finishes cooking. Honestly, you can kinda do anything with the sauce, as long as it's super flavorful.

Once the rice is done, remove it to a bowl and add half to two-thirds of the sauce and combine with any other fresh veggies you want. I like scallions, fresh cilantro, and mango. Bean sprouts or shredded cabbage are also really good. I even served this with salted-down julienned zucchini and it was great. And that's it! if you want it to be pretty throw that third of sauce on top, and some fresh cilantro on top of that. If you don't care how pretty it is, gently caress that noise and dig in. I like to keep more lime juice and siracha at the table so people can season to taste.

I have no idea how traditional this is--probably not very, since I cobbled it together from a handful of various recipes, but I know for certain it comes out tasty.

I swear to god one of these days I'm gonna make a full-on thread with pictures in it about this stuff. One of these days. (Maybe over xmas if I can con my well-done-steak-eating, don't-eat-chinese-food-ever in-laws to eat some sticky rice.)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm looking for a really tasty protein bar/energy bar recipe to make for a friend who does a lot of intense cycling. I've found plenty online but I wanted to know if anyone had some great success with another recipe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does anyone know what makes Okinawan spinach leaves purple on one side?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

That's pretty cool! Seems foolproof.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of red beans and rice... I was planning on making it today, so I soaked the beans this morning before I went to work.

Well, work went a bit longer than I had planned, so now it will be impossible to serve it tonight and the beans have been soaking for 12 hours.

So, the red beans I was soaking-are they good to soak another night? Total soaking time will be about 36 hours? It's only a buck a bag, so if I have to scrap em, no huge loss, but just wanted to check.

Thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nwin posted:

Speaking of red beans and rice... I was planning on making it today, so I soaked the beans this morning before I went to work.

Well, work went a bit longer than I had planned, so now it will be impossible to serve it tonight and the beans have been soaking for 12 hours.

So, the red beans I was soaking-are they good to soak another night? Total soaking time will be about 36 hours? It's only a buck a bag, so if I have to scrap em, no huge loss, but just wanted to check.

Thanks!

Dump the water off and toss em in the fridge. Should be fine.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I might be crazy, but I let my dry cannelini beans soak for at least 36 hours, frequently 48, sometimes even 72. (Longer than that and you'll get soup when you didn't necessarily want soup.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I usually end up soaking 12 hours minimum. I've done it a couple days before, not intentionally but just didn't have time to get around to it. Never noticed anything weird. You're going to be boiling them for like five hours, I doubt any bacteria will be hanging around.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Well this isn't about cooking per se, but something I suspect happens to a lot of people while cooking...

I was slicing yams and cut through my fingernail. The cut underneath the fingernail isn't deep but I'm wondering if it'll heal better if I take the cut part of the fingernail off (it's near the top and connected by only about 20% of the width of the fingernail) or if I should leave it on. For now I've left it on and just put a Bandaid over it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People who soak beans are weird as hell.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

People who soak beans are weird as hell.

No. They just fart less than you

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I could have sworn there was a dedicated thread for crock pot / slow cooker recipes but I can't seem to find it no matter where / how I search. Am I delusional?

(I mean yes, I am, but in this specific thing)

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Got a quantity of frozen venison backstrap. Inspire me, goons.

edit: Also, frozen bluefish.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm following this: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

for my first ever slow cooker recipe. It says to keep it in the slow cooker on high for 5 hours, but I set mine on probe until internal temperature is 160. Do I need to do anything else? Will this not cook it long enough?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Petey posted:

I'm following this: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

for my first ever slow cooker recipe. It says to keep it in the slow cooker on high for 5 hours, but I set mine on probe until internal temperature is 160. Do I need to do anything else? Will this not cook it long enough?

160 isn't enough for butts. To get the shredability that you want you are looking for the 190-205 range. I've found it best on those meats to use the probe as a guide then insert a skewer to test for doneness. It should go in like it was going into butter.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

QuarkJets posted:

Does anyone know what makes Okinawan spinach leaves purple on one side?
Anthocyanins, the group of chemicals responsible for most pinkish and purplish pigmentation in vegetation. Or is that not what you're asking?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm going to try my hand at making some mushroom royales to go in a consommé: Does anyone have any tips to make them work first time? I have a feeling I will otherwise have to attempt them a few times to get them anywhere close to good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

toe knee hand posted:

Well this isn't about cooking per se, but something I suspect happens to a lot of people while cooking...

I was slicing yams and cut through my fingernail. The cut underneath the fingernail isn't deep but I'm wondering if it'll heal better if I take the cut part of the fingernail off (it's near the top and connected by only about 20% of the width of the fingernail) or if I should leave it on. For now I've left it on and just put a Bandaid over it.

You don't want to expose the quick if you don't have to. Just keep it plastered down so the loose nail doesn't catch on stuff.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I've made pulled pork a few times with good success, but I've found many of the recipes to be a tad too sweet. Does anyone have a good low sweetness pulled pork recipe?

Drimble Wedge posted:

Get a stick blender maybe? Also known as immersion blenders. They are fairly inexpensive.

From waaaay back, but thanks, they are indeed less expensive than I thought.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I'm looking for a really tasty protein bar/energy bar recipe to make for a friend who does a lot of intense cycling. I've found plenty online but I wanted to know if anyone had some great success with another recipe.

Ask HungryJack over in the Triathlon megathread in YLLS about his coconut date ball recipe. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

I've made pulled pork a few times with good success, but I've found many of the recipes to be a tad too sweet. Does anyone have a good low sweetness pulled pork recipe?

From waaaay back, but thanks, they are indeed less expensive than I thought.

Just use an east Carolina style sauce instead of KC: heat some apple cider vinegar with some crushed red pepper (grind your own dried chiles for better flavor), a little cayenne pepper, and a few generous grinds of black pepper. Add a little salt, a very little brown sugar (1-2 teaspoons for a quart sized batch), a few dashes of worcestershire sauce and or ketchup, just enough for a little color and body. Heat until it comes together, cool, add to mason jars and refrigerate for a at least a day, shaking once a day.

Cook your pork as you usually would (ideally you would smoke for 10+ hours, but if you can't use a grill, cook in oven/slowcooker, whatever) then pull and serve with the sauce, coleslaw, and your favorite buns.