Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Arkitektbmw posted:

Is there anyone willing to go in on a 4 pack for this? Or has someone got an extra copy laying around that I could buy?

I'll jump in on a 4-pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
So are the active frames on melee attacks a set length or is it based on swing speed? Because I've been hitting enemies with attacks that have already finished their animations to the point where my shield is out again. I can't really tell if that's because I'm using a fast weapon and there's bad math or if it's because there's just a hitbox that stays out forever. Either way, that's something that should be looked into because that's pretty dumb and makes 1h+shield really easy and even safer that we thought.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

dis astranagant posted:

There really isn't much excuse for shipping a 600 meg executable designed to be hooked up to a debugger, even if it is going out to testers. It actively contributes to the performance issues by wasting a fuckton of memory (swap it out for the opengl executable and your memory usage drops by half) and no one is going to sit down in front of a debugger before making a bug report.

Perhaps not, but it's not like they have a decent channel for proper bug reports, just a lightly-moderated hellhole subforum. 600MB executables might make sense for their close groups of pre-push-to-Steam beta testing, because they can be held to a higher standard and be expected to follow a much more formal bug reporting structure than 100K+ people, the vast majority of which probably just want to play the drat game.

So I guess you're right, but I sorta like the hot-off-the-presses feel of obviously getting the build as soon as they're doing it. :3: Though we also know they're NOT doing that, since they're disabling their dev-only commands so they should just take another step and just compile as Release.

I'm also totally unable to relate to bandwidth caps and slower internet speeds so I probably should just refrain from commenting on that in the future.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It would be best if they could implement some sort of in-game bug reporting system that could handle the logging and such for them.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Okay, I used to have a pretty good handle on Terraria way before that recent patch came out. I figured because of that I could jump into Starbound with no problem. I was dead wrong. There's so much more going on here than in Terraria. I love it but I definitely to read up more on what I'm doing. Now I just need to talk some more of my friends into jumping on the beta bandwagon.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Quick Tip: If you don't wanna mess around with the game files, this is another way to make the game much more stable and smooth. The characters that were crashing when I tried to beam down are all working fine now.

iamded
Apr 26, 2013

Smile!
So I feel really dumb, but how do I go about joining the IRC channel/where can I find this thing? I have no idea what I'm doing.

JTG
Feb 19, 2008
to take a steak knife and slice my dick off. I'll start sliding it back and forth along the side of the shaft slicing in deeper and deeper with each successive cut.
You know its odd everyone in here seems to be using shield and one hander, or two hander entirely.

Dual wielding two one handed weapons is extremely effective and fast, and you can also Dual wield a one handed weapon and a pistol If you want to spice things up, and be able to attack with a gun, and melee at the same time.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

I made a thing in space.

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

JTG posted:

You know its odd everyone in here seems to be using shield and one hander, or two hander entirely.

Dual wielding two one handed weapons is extremely effective and fast, and you can also Dual wield a one handed weapon and a pistol If you want to spice things up, and be able to attack with a gun, and melee at the same time.

Can you duel wield pistols?

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

EasyABC and Maestro kind of work. They convert midi files and your character in starbound will play them but, it sounds like the notes are out of order. Has anyone gotten any of these to play correctly in starbound?

JTG
Feb 19, 2008
to take a steak knife and slice my dick off. I'll start sliding it back and forth along the side of the shaft slicing in deeper and deeper with each successive cut.

Orv posted:

I haven't tried, but probably, you can put any two one handed objects into the hand slots on the center of the hotbar on the top, and when you aren't holding anything on the hotbar those are the default things in your hands.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

You can, but pistols don't have knockback so they're kind of risky.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rocketlex posted:

Quick Tip: If you don't wanna mess around with the game files, this is another way to make the game much more stable and smooth. The characters that were crashing when I tried to beam down are all working fine now.

Weird. I don't have that option.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JTG posted:

I would do this more if I could aim 1h weapons. But when using a 1h, I really fear attacks from above.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pakled posted:

I don't think it's actually possible to use dye yet.

It's only use at the moment is to craft a Decoy Princess.

Party Alarm posted:

I made a thing in space.

That is awesome as gently caress.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Elendil004 posted:

Banking coming in next update. You basically craft big blocks of pixels at a slight loss (but less than dying twice). Kinda neat.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1sdh0j/hey_guys_i_made_a_mod_to_store_pixels_with_style/

Man Tiy is being crazy awesome with the mod community. There's a guy making a Toxic biome, and Tiy said he'll work on adding acid rain as a weather type to help him out with that. (which is also cool 'cause it's just the kind of thing people are asking for with planet diversity)

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Rocketlex posted:

How do you get that launch option? I don't have anything between 'Play game...' and 'View DLC'

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Since a wipe is probably going to happen tomorrow with the patch, I will have to bid a fond farewell to Dr. Zaius and the monkey pimp-mobile.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

sarr posted:

How do you get that launch option? I don't have anything between 'Play game...' and 'View DLC'

Have the game crash on you repeatedly? I didn't do anything to the game files. I assumed that option had always been there.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Psygnosis posted:

EasyABC and Maestro kind of work. They convert midi files and your character in starbound will play them but, it sounds like the notes are out of order. Has anyone gotten any of these to play correctly in starbound?
The one attempt I made, the results improved when I went into the abc file it outputted and removed all | and - symbols, then quadrupled the tempo. It sounded alright at first, but then the song had a key shift and it jacked up again.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!
Goodnight sweet mask...

I'm worried that the rest of my time in this game will be trying to recapture this moment.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ColHannibal posted:

Since a wipe is probably going to happen tomorrow with the patch, I will have to bid a fond farewell to Dr. Zaius and the monkey pimp-mobile.

Is it confirmed that the wipe is coming tomorrow?

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

demoneyespaul posted:

Goodnight sweet mask...

I'm worried that the rest of my time in this game will be trying to recapture this moment.

That...that is awesome.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is there a way to expand the size of your ship later in the game?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is it confirmed that the wipe is coming tomorrow?

Well the wipe is coming with the patch and Tiy said they are trying to get it out tomorrow so unless something goes wrong it is very likely.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

LibbyM posted:

Is there a way to expand the size of your ship later in the game?

Ship upgrades will come with the main quest line, which is currently not implemented.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
There will be, eventually.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there any kind of work around for that bug that keeps teleporting you back to your ship instead of the planet?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

If you wanna convert MIDI files to ABC for Starbound, this program gave me the best results.

https://code.google.com/p/lotromidiplayer/downloads/detail?name=LotroMidiPlayer-1.1.0.5.jar&can=2&q=label%3AStandaloneVersion

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

So, is it just luck or is there a condition for a superior brain to drop?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Is there a way to rebind keys for this? Someone very kindly gifted it to me and now I am remembering why I stopped playing Terarria when it launched...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

qnqnx posted:

So, is it just luck or is there a condition for a superior brain to drop?

Just luck.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The one attempt I made, the results improved when I went into the abc file it outputted and removed all | and - symbols, then quadrupled the tempo. It sounded alright at first, but then the song had a key shift and it jacked up again.

Which piece of software are you using to convert?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ShadowMar posted:

If you wanna convert MIDI files to ABC for Starbound, this program gave me the best results.

https://code.google.com/p/lotromidiplayer/downloads/detail?name=LotroMidiPlayer-1.1.0.5.jar&can=2&q=label%3AStandaloneVersion

I used this for LOTRO and I'd agree that this is probably the best of the programs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zoe posted:

Is there any kind of work around for that bug that keeps teleporting you back to your ship instead of the planet?

Just keep at it, it'll send you down eventually.

Also, has anyone else stumbled across a crystal cavern? I found a magma cavern with a lot of crystal clusters in the walls, and some crystal plants I could pick up that had the description "Money DOES grow on trees!". Shame growing doesn't seem to be working properly at the moment.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

I'm gonna miss this guy.

Fly to the stars, crazy apex murderhobo.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Starbound posted:

Aiming for tomorrow for the new patch, guys! Hopefully it'll help with a lot of you experiencing crashes, too!
https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/409805384069939200

Tiyuri posted:

pixel banking, creature capture and new content also coming to the balance patch
https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/409792852248367104

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Super Dude posted:

I'll jump in on a 4-pack.

If you guys are still doing this then I'll also jump in for a 4pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sheyittt yeaaaa!

• Locked thread