Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
went to hot topic and picked up the last breaking bad ost. for those of you on the fence - it sounds fantastic. not a noisy picture disk at all - really good sound quality, surprisingly.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

but still, picture disc... :/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Don't modern ones sound ok? Or is this an aesthetic taste level thing?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

For me, I just think picture discs are really tacky and stupid looking. All of the dumbest releases I've seen in the past year have been on RSD picture discs. Lana Del Ray, Avenge Sevenfold's Call of Duty song, Skrillex, a series of stupid and not particularly impessive live Iron Maiden concerts and now this Breaking Bad soundtrack.

And really, I can't remember any music from that show that I would want to listen to, especially on vinyl.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

WASDF posted:

For me, I just think picture discs are really tacky and stupid looking. All of the dumbest releases I've seen in the past year have been on RSD picture discs. Lana Del Ray, Avenge Sevenfold's Call of Duty song, Skrillex, a series of stupid and not particularly impessive live Iron Maiden concerts and now this Breaking Bad soundtrack.

And really, I can't remember any music from that show that I would want to listen to, especially on vinyl.

the music is actually terrific - it's essentially a series of downtempo/ ambient beats, like a less esoteric boards of Canada. but yeah, I don't own too many picture discs, my only other one is fever to tell by yeah yeah yeahs. still, it's definitely worth picking up when it gets pressed on normal vinyl.

Chim fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 9, 2013

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I still like my copy of Metallica's Jump in the Fire shaped picture disc. Oh the picture disc of Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos looks snazzy.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

WASDF posted:

but still, picture disc... :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raouu3E4XdM

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

stuff like that is why picture discs exist, not for music.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
The remaster of Sleep's Dopesmoker is the only time I ever bought a picture disc. I don't listen to it really, I bought it more as a piece of art to put on the wall and it functions well for that purpose. The sound quality is just fine though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmpTKXpIdM

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

WASDF posted:

stuff like that is why picture discs exist, not for music.

That's shocking! People collecting records for something other than the music? Absurd.

Look, when it comes to records, there's more to it than just the music. How many releases do we praise because of the cover, the sleeves, and all those other cool things. If a picture disc looks cool on my turntable and I like the music, I'm in!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's shocking! People collecting records for something other than the music? Absurd.

Look, when it comes to records, there's more to it than just the music. How many releases do we praise because of the cover, the sleeves, and all those other cool things. If a picture disc looks cool on my turntable and I like the music, I'm in!

Well, duh. All I am saying is that a lot of the picture discs I see don't even look nice. The Breaking Bad soundtrack, from what I've seen, is just a screencap of the title card.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Those people are the worst people.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What are the chances Exmilitary gets a repressing? I really want it but it starts at 225 and goes from there.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We should do Vinyl secret Santa next year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bowmore posted:

We should do Vinyl secret Santa next year.

There was discussion of doing a record exchange this past summer and a bunch of people seemed interested enough.

I PM'd het about it and got a wary approval (more like a "it technically doesn't violate any NMD rules") with the very strong caveat that the mods wanted nothing to do with policing any disputes regarding undelivered goods/general flakery and that any drama would likely result in a severe crackdown (probably mostly on me).

I even started working on an OP and then grad school attacked and I kind of forgot about it.

But if enough people are interested, I'd definitely be willing to manage some kind of record exchange in the near future. I've got some down time in January so I can draft up a big effortpost then.

I'd need to check back with the mods regardless, but assuming I get another go-ahead, it's worth pointing out for a second time the risks involved. I'm interested enough in seeing this happen where I'd potentially be willing to cover one or two flaky partners if it came to that, but everyone involved would absolutely NEED to be on their best behavior. For this and other reasons I'd also want to keep the number of people involved relatively small for this first go.

Anyone still wanna do this?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 9, 2013

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm in.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There was discussion of doing a record exchange this past summer and a bunch of people seemed interested enough.

I PM'd het about it and got a wary approval (more like a "it technically doesn't violate any NMD rules") with the very strong caveat that the mods wanted nothing to do with policing any disputes regarding undelivered goods/general flakery and that any drama would likely result in a severe crackdown (probably mostly on me).
Er, to be clear, I never suggested that you would ever be punished for it, just that I know how these things go and one dude flakes out (except it's tough to prove this kind of thing) and people get super indignant and I'm kinda not interested in policing that kind of poo poo.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I'm almost certainly down for an exchange and/or Secret Santa.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Sadly, shipping a record internationally from Europe (signed for) will set you back like 18 euros. It's ridiculous and not worth it in the end.

:smith:

US peeps won't have that problem though.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Sadly, shipping a record internationally from Europe (signed for) will set you back like 18 euros. It's ridiculous and not worth it in the end.

You could pair people up by country, I am sure there are enough people from each area to do that. Means someone has to co-ordinate things, though sounds like Electric Bugaloo was intending to do that anyway?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Euros? What is that some sort of Monopoly money?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Euros? What is that some sort of Monopoly money?

It's a collective term for our livestock.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It would probably cost me about $50 to buy and send a record overseas so I'd just buy direct from a label or amazon and send it to my partner from there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bowmore posted:

It would probably cost me about $50 to buy and send a record overseas so I'd just buy direct from a label or amazon and send it to my partner from there.

Oh yeah, amazon is an amazing option. Even international shipping is ridiculously cheap.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Five things:

1.) This is a looooooooong shot, but: Does anyone have any leads on a Dolly Mixture - "Demonstration Tapes" 2xLP (original, although the 2010 reissue might be acceptable). Will pay big bux for this. I'd probably even overpay, because I'm tired of it not turning up on eBay.

2.) I'd be game for a Secret Santa and/or exchange. I think I might already know what I'd send.

3.) I don't have too many picture discs, but I played Man Man's "Six Demon Bag" recently, and it sounded fine to me.

4.)

beergod posted:

What are the chances Exmilitary gets a repressing? I really want it but it starts at 225 and goes from there.

Have you emailed the label with links to completed eBay listings and said, "Hey guys, I think you'd make some serious cash if you repressed this?" You probably wouldn't be the first to do so, but the more people clamor for a repress, the more likely they are to do it (or so it would seem to me). I did this regarding the Cheater Slicks' "Whiskey" a while back, and In the Red (the label) said they might repress it in the near-ish future. In any case, it never hurts to pester them directly.

5.)

eggsovereasy posted:

I need this.

You might have already seen it, but there's an 80s repress on eBay right now. Unless the holiday season jacks up interest a lot, it really shouldn't sell for more than :20bux: or so. Worth every cent, IMHO. There's also one on Discogs for $20, but it has a sizable scratch.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
can't believe I managed to get a copy of gently caress buttons - tarot sport new. paid the most I have ever paid for a record but that's ok...

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
New snag, from one of my favorite ska bands. "Dear Chris Demakes, I'm Also Never Going Back to New Jersey" by I Voted For Kodos. Hand numbered 40 out of 500. Also came with a live album on CD-R. The guitar player who shipped it gave me a funny nickname on the mailer.

It came with 4 download codes, if you're interested, PM me.

Edit: Download codes gone.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 10, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Chim posted:

can't believe I managed to get a copy of gently caress buttons - tarot sport new. paid the most I have ever paid for a record but that's ok...

Err, that's a rare record? *looks up Discogs* poo poo, when did that happen? I bought it for a normal price when it was new.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm seeing Goblin live tomorrow. I'm hoping they sell their LPs at the show.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bought some stuff.

Absolute Boys - Love Mode

The Nugz - Chiller High Life found out these guys were calling it a day so I had to grab the 7 to show my love.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

CPL593H posted:

That's loving awesome. You guys talk about soundtracks in this thread on the time, whereas I rarely even think about soundtracks (out of the thousands of records I own, only a handful are soundtracks, and I wasn't actively seeking any of them; they just kinda fell into my possession). But y'all made me realize that I really want some Goblin OSTs. First on my want list: Suspiria, just because I saw the movie recently.

Also, if you're in the US, here's an excellent price ($7.95) on Neil Young's "On the Beach" LP.

Finally, an open letter to whoever bought this before me last night: I hate you.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 10, 2013

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

CPL593H posted:

There's a Death Waltz tour EP with newly recorded versions of some old tracks, or at least there was on the first leg. Not sure how the merch situation will work now that the band has split up and regrouped again, since one of the reworked tracks was "Tenebre" and I dunno if they'll do that without Claudio. Other than that, it was just shirts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

chime_on posted:

There's a Death Waltz tour EP with newly recorded versions of some old tracks, or at least there was on the first leg. Not sure how the merch situation will work now that the band has split up and regrouped again, since one of the reworked tracks was "Tenebre" and I dunno if they'll do that without Claudio. Other than that, it was just shirts.

Not only do they play Tenebre live but it's one of the songs they re-recorded for the tour EP. Also, Claudio is definitely still with the band.

edit: oh wait I guess I didn't see that they split and regrouped again since this past October. Glad I got to see 'em on the first leg of the tour in that case, Goblin without Simonetti just wouldn't be the same.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 10, 2013

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Well, I got my turntable today, and I'm having an issue where I hear some cracks and pops during play. Could this have anything to do with the needle or cartridge? Trying to get the arm balanced thing to hoover was a bastard and I'm afraid the needle is dragging too hard. I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Texibus posted:

Well, I got my turntable today, and I'm having an issue where I hear some cracks and pops during play.

Just embrace it or throw the thing out- otherwise you'll lose your mind.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not only do they play Tenebre live but it's one of the songs they re-recorded for the tour EP. Also, Claudio is definitely still with the band.

edit: oh wait I guess I didn't see that they split and regrouped again since this past October. Glad I got to see 'em on the first leg of the tour in that case, Goblin without Simonetti just wouldn't be the same.

The lineup on this leg with Zombi has the original rhythm section and not the Daemonia guys, so it's a pretty fair trade. Luckily for me, they played nearby in October and are coming through again this week, so I get to see both versions.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, buying the soundtrack to Final Fantasy 7 on vinyl might just be the geekiest thing I've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

chime_on posted:

The lineup on this leg with Zombi has the original rhythm section and not the Daemonia guys, so it's a pretty fair trade. Luckily for me, they played nearby in October and are coming through again this week, so I get to see both versions.

Yeah, I would've liked to have seen them with the original bassist and drummer. They're playing here tonight and I really wanna go again but I'm too broke. The October show was loving dope.