Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I'm just happy the SCMLB is still going strong. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Regnevelc posted:

Tavarin is gonna say no because he knows what I can do with a team (or at least pull wins out of my rear end, how I won 89 games on HOFL is beyond me).

Hey, I won more games this year. :colbert:

Just send rujasu a message on the SimCentral forums since he's the commish of the SCMLB.

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm just happy the SCMLB is still going strong. :unsmith:

If only it was the League of Rejects. :smith:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Long live Andy's Parakeet, Sadaharu Oh, and Kam

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

Hey, I won more games this year. :colbert:

Just send rujasu a message on the SimCentral forums since he's the commish of the SCMLB.

If only it was the League of Rejects. :smith:

That division tho

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm probably going to hold off on the online league for now, partly because I want to get a little better at OOTP first (although I managed to drag my fictional league Red Sox to the playoffs in my first season, which was better than I expected even though the Tigers pasted me in the DS), but mostly just because right now watching the World Series is about as much time as I can devote to baseball.

I do have one question as a doof around OOTP with goofy fictional league set-ups, though-- is there a way to use the real 2013 players as the pool for the inaugural fantasy draft of a fully fictional league (i.e., fake teams in weird cities or whatever)?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does anyone know how liberal the in game managers are with actually using a closer for more than one inning if I set the closer to "8th or later"? I have an elite closer with a boatload of stamina but the rest of my bullpen is average at best.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Does anyone know how liberal the in game managers are with actually using a closer for more than one inning if I set the closer to "8th or later"? I have an elite closer with a boatload of stamina but the rest of my bullpen is average at best.

I've got that setup for my closer in a league and he's only pitched 2 or more innings in about 5 games this season so it doesn't seem to use him in more than an inning unless it thinks it absolutely needs to.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Along similar lines, will hiring a better manager (if I'm acting only as GM) actually change the tactics my manager uses in games? My team is doing terribly this year, and even though it's probably just that all my best guys got injured I feel like somebody should pay for it. :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Fake Edit: Also, hey, what the hell, I need some baseball to keep me going through the real off-season, and even though I'm still pretty terrible at OOTP I think I'll join the SCMLB after all! I'll just make sure to pick a team I don't really care about in the real world so I don't feel too awful if I run it into the ground or something. My username over there is Rincewind, please tell them to approve me!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rincewind posted:

Along similar lines, will hiring a better manager (if I'm acting only as GM) actually change the tactics my manager uses in games? My team is doing terribly this year, and even though it's probably just that all my best guys got injured I feel like somebody should pay for it. :v:

Managers do have preferred strategies if you look into their profiles. I assume this affects in-game tactics if you just leave all your strategies to the neutral settings.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rincewind posted:

Fake Edit: Also, hey, what the hell, I need some baseball to keep me going through the real off-season, and even though I'm still pretty terrible at OOTP I think I'll join the SCMLB after all! I'll just make sure to pick a team I don't really care about in the real world so I don't feel too awful if I run it into the ground or something. My username over there is Rincewind, please tell them to approve me!
Will do.

Regnevelc posted:

That division tho
Were you still interested in the SCMLB too? We're gearing up to move forward with the offseason, but are pausing for new owners.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Harlock posted:

Will do.

Were you still interested in the SCMLB too? We're gearing up to move forward with the offseason, but are pausing for new owners.

Yeah. I am. Sorry. Been busy.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

After Regnevelc gets in, is there still room? I'm at work and the SCMLB site is blocked so I can't take a gander, but if there's still more room I'd like to hop in. If not, not the end of the world. I'm just starting to get back into OOTP (the last time I played was like...2010? Alex Gordon became a world beater and I had a pitcher go 24-1 as a rookie which was probably my favorite accopmlishment in any of these managerial type games) and I would love to jump into an online league.

Either way, I'll probably be posting war stories as I bungle around and try to figure this thing out. Maybe I'll start out managing in Venezuela or something and see if I can work my way to the Show.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chaoslord posted:

After Regnevelc gets in, is there still room? I'm at work and the SCMLB site is blocked so I can't take a gander, but if there's still more room I'd like to hop in. If not, not the end of the world. I'm just starting to get back into OOTP (the last time I played was like...2010? Alex Gordon became a world beater and I had a pitcher go 24-1 as a rookie which was probably my favorite accopmlishment in any of these managerial type games) and I would love to jump into an online league.

Either way, I'll probably be posting war stories as I bungle around and try to figure this thing out. Maybe I'll start out managing in Venezuela or something and see if I can work my way to the Show.

I think there's like 16 open teams before Regnevelc and Rincewind pick so we should be able to squeeze you in

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Which teams are free right now, anyway? The owners thread in the forum looks like it was last edited a few months ago so I'm not sure if that's still accurate.

All I know is I don't want the Red Sox, since I like them too much to shoulder the responsibility of not destroying them for generations, but I guess with 16 teams open I'll find something. :v:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Baltimore Orioles are open. Arbitration has already passed but I don't think anybody got terrible deals on that team.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Alrighty, signed up on the other forum as chaoslord. Definitely looking forward to this.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

chaoslord posted:

Alrighty, signed up on the other forum as chaoslord. Definitely looking forward to this.

Your account should be active now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Just thought I'd mention that there are still plenty of teams available in SCMLB. Reports are here: http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

Teams open:
Detroit Tigers - OPEN
Baltimore Orioles - OPEN
Boston Red Sox - OPEN
New York Yankees - OPEN
Tampa Bay Rays - OPEN
Los Angeles Angels - OPEN
Texas Rangers - OPEN
Chicago Cubs - OPEN
Milwaukee Brewers - OPEN
Pittsburgh Pirates - OPEN
Arizona Diamondbacks - OPEN
Colorado Rockies - OPEN
San Diego Padres - OPEN
San Francisco Giants - OPEN

The Pirates and Padres have the 5th and 6th ranked farm systems. The Rays, Orioles, Tigers, Rangers and Cubs had winning seasons last year.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The loving rays over spent for the Catcher I wanted.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah the AI spends some pretty serious money sometimes. Look at the Padres.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

RIP Trevor Bauer, you tore your labrum and then you died.

He had JUST signed an 8-year, $304,000,000 contract as a free agent to join the Royals before this last season. So really, a 1-year, $304,000,000 contract. And I didn't even get to see the year. Led the league in strikeouts the last 5 years if I'm reading this leaderboard section right.

OOTP giveth and OOTP taketh away

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Holy balls, that contract.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Regnevelc posted:

Holy balls, that contract.

In browsing around the reports that are online now since I'm at work (12/17, dont remember off the top of my head if that is current or a sim or two behind or whatever), Bauer was the second highest paid player in the MLB. That I could find anyway, maybe I missed a few.

Daniel Norris at $45,450,000 a year is the only one that could top the $38,000,000 that my (well, the AI that signed him) one-year wonder commanded.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chaoslord posted:

In browsing around the reports that are online now since I'm at work (12/17, dont remember off the top of my head if that is current or a sim or two behind or whatever), Bauer was the second highest paid player in the MLB. That I could find anyway, maybe I missed a few.

Daniel Norris at $45,450,000 a year is the only one that could top the $38,000,000 that my (well, the AI that signed him) one-year wonder commanded.

Norris's contract isn't 45.45 AAV, Harlock frontloaded the poo poo out of it.

I also wouldn't call Bauer a one year wonder, being fair :v:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

IcePhoenix posted:

I also wouldn't call Bauer a one year wonder, being fair :v:

I was trying to make myself feel better about the whole thing :(

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Opening day is here for SimCentral MLB :toot: Royals ready to play some good baseball.

Also, Bauer got shifted from CEI to just a year, thank goodness.

Just grabbing some last minute minor league pitchers because I realized I'm down to three man rotation in single A ball. Not that I expect any of those guys to ever, ya know, not be single A guys, but I'd rather not break them all. They still have to go home to their families and will some day need to get a real job and if I break them physically I will feel bad. Especially for the ones that have like three kids.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really really needed a front line starter and I never splurged in FA. Norris ended it up winning me the World Series in game 7, so totally worth it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I had a solid 1-2 in the majors, just pretty thin after that. I added Harvey, Parker, and another 'real' guy to my rotation to fill it out. Let's see, I have a ton of people on 1 year deals. Gonna buy that series!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

I really really needed a front line starter and I never splurged in FA. Norris ended it up winning me the World Series in game 7, so totally worth it.

On the flip side, I had the same problem and splurged on Cody Bishop and you know how that worked out for me in the 2022 playoffs ;)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

First week was not too bad for the Royals. Went 0-2 away to the Yankees (Game 2 had a lead 12-10 going into bottom of 8th, lost 14-12), 1-1 with Yankees at home, 2-1 over White Sox at home for 3-4. Gave the Yankees closer 3 saves in those opening four games. You're welcome :colbert:

Get to start playing tinker with my organization now. Well, making notes anyway. Gonna give it a sim or two until I start making a lot of moves, I want to see how things settle out.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Steve Ross hitting donks like it's his job. (it is)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Week two in the books, and games 6 through 11 of my 14 game home stand are complete. Went 1-2 against the Twins, giving them their only loss so far this season (:getin:) in the middle game which went 10 innings. Snuck that one. Went 2-1 against the now 3-10 Rays. Good to win a home series.

Quite pleased with my closer. 5 appearances, 2-0, 3 Saves. He gets results! (I know, I know, closers typically don't come into situations where they get L's too often unless they are terrible, I just wanted to have a laugh.) Although, one of those wins came from a blown save :argh:

Last three games of my opening home stretch are against Seattle, then off to Cleveland for three more this week.

Between this update and the next I hope to finish filling up my farm system. Excited about that. Just need some more field players and I will be set.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chaoslord posted:

Went 1-2 against the Twins, giving them their only loss so far this season (:getin:) in the middle game which went 10 innings.

My 162-0 dream is dead :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My poor Orioles are drifting rudderless without anyone to steer their platoons in the right direction. If the league holds up, maybe I'll come back for the Cubs in a couple seasons.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Week 3!

Went 1-2 against both Seattle and Cleveland. The Royals now sit at 8-11, only 4 game out of the wild card! We aren't performing too terribly, all things considered. We have the 5th best batting average in the AL (.276), I'll take that. Also have some fairly good pitching, giving up the 2nd fewest hits (161) and 3rd lowest opposing batting average (.252) in the AL. The run support just isnt there though (runs scored is 13th in AL with 80), and there have been a couple of games where the wheels have come off. Looking at it, my bullpen is doing pretty well so if the starter has a good opening and doesn't get exploded we are in a good position to win. Unfortunately my starters are not having the best start of the season. Might need to look at some call ups from AAA already, haha. I'll give it a little longer.

Three at home against the Tigers and Blue Jays this week as the season moves into May.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Not that I don't enjoy them but you should post your recaps in the discussion thread we have on the league forums, because lord knows that thing needs the traffic.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Not that I don't enjoy them but you should post your recaps in the discussion thread we have on the league forums, because lord knows that thing needs the traffic.

Yeah, that league forum is dead compared to the RSL and even the BL.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

IcePhoenix posted:

Alright, I'll start doing that then. I just normally do it to kill a few minutes of downtime at work. SA is open, SimCentral is blocked :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Any of the SimCentral leagues (or other solid online leagues) looking for people?

• Locked thread