Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Babbys first BBSeses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How big of a pain is the R/R of door cards on an E36? Should I pre-emptively buy some door card clips?

Am I going to irreparably break expensive BMW plastic?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Ziploc posted:

How big of a pain is the R/R of door cards on an E36? Should I pre-emptively buy some door card clips?

On the e46 it isn't a problem. I haven't broken any clips in all the times I've gone patching leaks in the loving insulation. Just make sure you have a plastic pry tool and be slow and I think you'll be fine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Where can I grab me one of those tools? My power windows need lubricating.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

How stupid would I be if I was looking at 2011 335i M-Sport 6 speeds as my next project? They have an N55. I can't really get a feel on the E90 boards.

I'd search for an N54 car instead. The N55 really falls flat in the top end and doesn't have as much potential as the N54. It's still a good motor, but if I were to ever consider an N55 car it would have to be after the aftermarket catches up. I like revs though, so YMMV.

You can throw M3 suspension + LSD at a 135i or a 335i and have a really drat good time, though. If you haven't ruled out the 1 yet, it is significantly lighter! About the same size as an e36 if you care about that sort of thing.

Not planning on it being a regular track car, right?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Ziploc posted:

HF, any decent auto parts store, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

HF, any decent auto parts store, etc.

I just picked up the 5 or 6 piece set of the plastic prying tools from HF and I think it may have been almost $6.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Ziploc posted:

they look like this. You could get the metal pry tools with the vinyl coating that look like long flathead screwdrivers with a slot in the middle, but this is something where you want to break the tool rather than the plastic trim if it is over stressed, so I personally prefer these soft plastic ones. Note that only 1 or 2 of the five is actually useful for anything at all

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I'm pretty drat close to throwing some money into Ground Control coilovers for my e36 M3. Anyone have experience with them or would steer me towards a different setup? This is what I get for having friends that auto-x.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

So I'm pretty drat close to throwing some money into Ground Control coilovers for my e36 M3. Anyone have experience with them or would steer me towards a different setup? This is what I get for having friends that auto-x.

I have a set of ground controls on my 318iS and they are a great value for the price. I had GC cut, reinforce and powdercoat the struts and I have been very satisfied.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Ziploc posted:

I am a big fan of having some door card clips on hand -- the old plastic can break even if you are gentle with a pry tool. They cost virtually nothing to have on hand. Also, epoxy or JB weld is the right stuff to get the plastic standoffs re-glued to the door card (for when one or more of those lets go). Superior German adhesives and all that.

Popete posted:

For the E36, Ground Control, TC Kline and the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers are the sweetspot of price to performance. You will not go wrong with any of them. I personally like the valving on used on the Koni's in the GC set, but the Bilsteins are really nice for street/track use.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thought this was a good shot from yesterday. E21 is currently hood-less (and rear subframe, driveshaft, etc -less), M3 was just opened for the picture and foreground E30-vert trying to fix all the clogged drains on brother's fiance's car.

E30-vert has been nothing but trouble, they shouldn't have bought it and especially at what they paid...knew I should have looked at it for them and done the price negotiations. Car sat for two years, then previous owner bought it to let it sit for another year or so then they bought it :suicide: Oh well.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They put the battery in the front on vert 6 cylinders? I wonder why.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

They put the battery in the front on vert 6 cylinders? I wonder why.

Probably the roof mechanism interferes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That, or weight distribution. easily a battery's worth of weight in those roof mechanisms.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm guessing weight, I don't think it had the lead mat in the trunk like the 325is' do. There's plenty of space for the battery in the back where it usually mounts but I'm glad it's up front because she would have a liquid cooled battery with all the leaks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, on the 540i there's a little 90 degree nipple that is obviously a snap-fit into the top of the radiator, and is there from the factory.

The one on my replacement radiator seems to be weeping/leaking a bit. From what I gather, it is just a one-way snap fit with no real tightening/tension other than O-ring compression.

The fitting is not really loose, but isn't a tight, firm fit - certainly not anything I'd like to see in a 100+C nominal temp cooling system.

Any way to tighten this thing up? The rear end in a top hat in me says "Clean surfaces with degreasing cleaner, JB-weld that fucker in."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sometimes your nipples leak as you get older.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Stayed with a family friend of a band member this weekend while we were playing some out-of-town shows.

The guy had a pretty serious car collection, but the jewel of it was a black 1975 3.0CS with a full E28 M5 conversion. Engine, trans, rear, subframes, ABS brakes...everything. He did the conversion back in the early 90's with a rolled M5 donor and was surprised to find that the subframes just bolt right up, so he went all the way on it. Looked completely factory - the only thing that tips you off was the wider wheels and slightly lower stance.

It was the baddest car I've ever seen in person. Made the Ferrari & other nice things in the garage look like Camrys.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A friend has pointed me in the direction of a $500 2002. I know nothing about it other than that it's around a '72 and "ran when parked" some time during Bush Jr's first term. Out of bored curiosity I am scheduling to see it, but obviously I don't have the highest expectations on any car-shaped lumps being sold for that cheap. Besides the standard old neglected car things, if it somehow turns out to be in sufficient project condition are there any quirks of the platform I should be looking out for?

On a related note, I am entertaining the idea of selling my E46. If the 2002 turns out to be project-worthy I'll do it for sure since it seems E-check will foil my LSx plans on this car. I don't drive it anymore other than monthly highway runs since I have a reliable daily and the starter solenoid is questionable at best. It's an '02 325i with 140k miles, the interior is worn and the exterior has a number of chips. The suspension is worn and the cooling system is long overdue for a rebuild. The exhaust cam position sensor is also out, causing a SES light. The intake side and the hose you have to remove to replace it were done a few years ago, as was the diff. Brakes are about three years old, same as both sets of tires (Blizzak WS-60 and Potenza RE-01R). There's also three NMO holes in the trunk lid, though since they're on flat metal I think they could be patched cleanly and I'd be selling it either patched or with plugs.

If I actually decide to sell it, is any of that likely to be worth fixing myself beforehand, as in increasing the likely sale value enough to cover the parts? I assume the cooling system might be, as well as the sensor, because that puts it back to no SES light and no time-bomb under the hood.

KBB says $2800 for fair, if I fixed up that stuff would I be unreasonable asking $2500 and wanting $2000?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd do the sensor, detail it then sell it. Nothing else in that list will get you your money back.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

wolrah posted:

If I actually decide to sell it, is any of that likely to be worth fixing myself beforehand, as in increasing the likely sale value enough to cover the parts? I assume the cooling system might be, as well as the sensor, because that puts it back to no SES light and no time-bomb under the hood.

KBB says $2800 for fair, if I fixed up that stuff would I be unreasonable asking $2500 and wanting $2000?

Fix the SES light, anything else isn't going to raise the value at all unless you have a metric poo poo ton of maintenance records and it's in very good condition. (And everyone is going to hound you about the SES light and want a ton of money off since it won't pass emissions of the bat if you have that where you are) I'd start at 3k and work my way down from there if it was me, but the market for BMW's is inflated where I am. You'd be better off looking at craigslist postings for a few week and to see what sells and where it's priced to price yours accordingly.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
I bought a dashcam for my e46. What's the most convenient place to steal ACC power for it if I have it up near the rearview mirror?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You should be able to tap off a 12V line up in those courtesy lights, should be able to power that cam no problemo. Just beware that most of the time those aren't switched 12V.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Party Alarm posted:

I'd search for an N54 car instead. The N55 really falls flat in the top end and doesn't have as much potential as the N54. It's still a good motor, but if I were to ever consider an N55 car it would have to be after the aftermarket catches up. I like revs though, so YMMV.

You can throw M3 suspension + LSD at a 135i or a 335i and have a really drat good time, though. If you haven't ruled out the 1 yet, it is significantly lighter! About the same size as an e36 if you care about that sort of thing.

Not planning on it being a regular track car, right?

Well, I really want a last year 2011 since they are all popping off their 3 yr leases and already have an N55 and like it I'm okay with it not being as tunable as long as it's more reliable, which it looks like it is. I did test drive a few 335i sports, one MT one Auto and I have to say the auto is not as horrid as I thought it would be. Now I am looking at some 2011 sports and M-sports and am not ruling out an auto. Remember I am one of the only idiots on earth that actually ordered a 4100 lb F10 535 with a 6 speed and my E46's were both 5 speeds so this is a big jump for me.

This car will see the track maybe two days a year so I am really hoping I would not go insane having an auto.

The one thing I cannot find are any with fold-down rear seats...what the gently caress people it was just a box you checked for $500 back in 2010 that adds tons of versatility. They don't even have ski-passes on these things ftmp, so I can't even smash open the pass-through like I did on my E46 sedan with non-fold down rear seats. Sorry to sound like a 5 series snob but I need that space to put poo poo in there and this is part of the reason I ended up in a battlecruiser sized 5 in the first place.

.....or I could just wait it out and see if a M235 actually shows up here.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Keyser S0ze posted:

Sorry to sound like a 5 series snob but I need that space to put poo poo in there and this is part of the reason I ended up in a battlecruiser sized 5 in the first place.

Im right with you. I loved my 5'ers because of the space and yet they could handle like a small car. With the 6/turbo or the V8 options, they hit the sweet spot.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

Well, I really want a last year 2011 since they are all popping off their 3 yr leases and already have an N55 and like it I'm okay with it not being as tunable as long as it's more reliable, which it looks like it is. I did test drive a few 335i sports, one MT one Auto and I have to say the auto is not as horrid as I thought it would be. Now I am looking at some 2011 sports and M-sports and am not ruling out an auto. Remember I am one of the only idiots on earth that actually ordered a 4100 lb F10 535 with a 6 speed and my E46's were both 5 speeds so this is a big jump for me.

This car will see the track maybe two days a year so I am really hoping I would not go insane having an auto.

The one thing I cannot find are any with fold-down rear seats...what the gently caress people it was just a box you checked for $500 back in 2010 that adds tons of versatility. They don't even have ski-passes on these things ftmp, so I can't even smash open the pass-through like I did on my E46 sedan with non-fold down rear seats. Sorry to sound like a 5 series snob but I need that space to put poo poo in there and this is part of the reason I ended up in a battlecruiser sized 5 in the first place.

.....or I could just wait it out and see if a M235 actually shows up here.

I'm going to second getting an N54 over an N55. The only reliability difference as far as I know is that some early N54 engines could have wastegate chatter that would require them being replaced. N55s also have the same problems with HPFPs so don't think that they're immune to it. Mine has an auto and it really is incredibly quick, far faster than I could shift a manual. When I'm feeling lazy or in heavy traffic, full auto mode is fantastic.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Im right with you. I loved my 5'ers because of the space and yet they could handle like a small car. With the 6/turbo or the V8 options, they hit the sweet spot.

That extra space was also keeping me from buying another Tahoe sized SUV again to pair with a smaller BMW.........that's actually not a bad combo so if I went back to a cheaper/smaller E90 I would probably do that as at least one of them would get decent mileage. Obviously, this scenario goes to poo poo if I get what a really want: E90-E92 M3/SUV.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 10, 2013

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

Stealth Like posted:

I'm going to second getting an N54 over an N55. The only reliability difference as far as I know is that some early N54 engines could have wastegate chatter that would require them being replaced. N55s also have the same problems with HPFPs so don't think that they're immune to it. Mine has an auto and it really is incredibly quick, far faster than I could shift a manual. When I'm feeling lazy or in heavy traffic, full auto mode is fantastic.

With the wastegate rattle, isn't it really as simple as re-tightening the bolts on the wastegate rod arm? I know its warrantied and hey cool new turbos, but it's really not as big of a deal as its made it to be from what I gather.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I kinda wish they would make an M version of the X3. When we bought my ex wife an X3, it hit the sweet spot in terms of space/comfort/and met our needs perfectly. It just wasn't the quickest car on the planet, but I had a 540i, which did the job just fine.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

S.W.G. posted:

With the wastegate rattle, isn't it really as simple as re-tightening the bolts on the wastegate rod arm? I know its warrantied and hey cool new turbos, but it's really not as big of a deal as its made it to be from what I gather.

I think in some cases this fixes it, but in others the entire turbo assembly needs to be replaced/modified.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Keyser S0ze posted:

This really chapped my rear end too when I was shopping for my e90. In 2010 BMW introduced the value package as standard with every car. This had iPod adapter, leather, and 17" wheels. On xdrive cars like mine the value pack also included heated seats.

This lead to nobody picking the cold weather package (heated seats, headlight sprayers, fold down rear seats) since they already had heated seats and suburban moms don't care about that other poo poo. Unless I'm wrong, that's the only way to get fold-downs in a package. It makes the market for these cars sparse if fold downs are an absolute necessity. I ended up getting a roof rack.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's dumb. My E46 would be so much less practical without the rear folding seats. I'm kind of amazed it isn't just standard equipment.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It looked like (at least for 2011) you could order:

465-Fold Down Rear Seats $475
494-Heated Front Seats $500

as stand alone options or like you said the $1k CWP. It doesn't look like most of the dumbass dealers bothered to check those boxes most of the time. You'd think the M-Sport people would be ordering though, I guess not. Lots more coupes have those fold down seats though, that is definitely true.

You'll see this one has it....from a potentially shady dealer in San Diego, though. EDIT: ahhhh nevermind, they have the cold weather package...I was looking for an obvious case where just the seats were added.

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html pop in E578074

S465A Durchladesystem Through-loading system

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 10, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guinness posted:

That's dumb. My E46 would be so much less practical without the rear folding seats. I'm kind of amazed it isn't just standard equipment.

It was standard on the E46 Coupe and an option on the E46 Sedan. The ski bag and folding rear seats weren't options that came with the cold weather package - they were separate. Hella weird.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

It was standard on the E46 Coupe and an option on the E46 Sedan. The ski bag and folding rear seats weren't options that came with the cold weather package - they were separate. Hella weird.

So what what the cold weather package - heated seats, mirrors.....windshield maybe (did they ever do that on BMWs?) and.....wiper nozzles? Or was there more to it than that?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Motronic posted:

So what what the cold weather package - heated seats, mirrors.....windshield maybe (did they ever do that on BMWs?) and.....wiper nozzles? Or was there more to it than that?

The cold weather package varies by body style and model (and I think even by country). In my E46 coupe, it consisted of heated seats and mirrors, headlight washers and the ski bag. The sedan had a different package (as BlackMk4 alluded to), and other models (such as the E9x) have different equipment still, but still use the same ZCW option code as the E46.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
My E92 with ZCW has the heated steering wheel too but I think that covers it. The headlight washers are annoying as hell and overspray everywhere.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cyberbug posted:

I bought a dashcam for my e46. What's the most convenient place to steal ACC power for it if I have it up near the rearview mirror?

There's a wire for the garage door opener that's easy to snag for your own use.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46#Where_can_I_find_switched_power_.28.2B12v.29_for_accessories.3F

quote:

There's a wiring harness in the headliner console that has +12v for the universal garage door opener (UGDO). It's usually wrapped in black tape and shoved up above the passenger visor area. The +12v wire is green & blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Not to add to the confusion but all the E92 M3's I've owned have had the fold down seats and drug box / ski passthrough regardless of options.