Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

mr_bunnyfish posted:

Hello, I own a 2002 CVPI that's recently developed noticeable belt whine, like more than before. I pulled off the belt and checked all the pulleys and they all spin fine, but after I put the belt back on I noticed that the tensioner seems to jitter a lot. Could this be the source of the noise? It's definitely a steady whine that gets louder and quieter with the RPMs, and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm turning or not so I don't think it's the power steering, and the water pump pulley turns just fine as well as everything else. The only other thing I could think of is that maybe the alternator is on its way out but nothing else seems to indicate that.

Also I love this thread and I love Panther Platforms and I love my car to death you guys are all the best

If you're seeing the tensioner being jittery it's time for a new tensioner.

Looks like this, right?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MfTe4K7q4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012

Jared592 posted:

If you're seeing the tensioner being jittery it's time for a new tensioner.

Looks like this, right?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MfTe4K7q4w
Yes it looks just like that. I'll get a new belt and tensioner and do it up over the weekend. Thanks, I always forget youtube can solve like any automotive issue.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

The Midniter posted:

Uhaul people are comically inept and that entire company should burn to the ground. I have had nothing but bad experiences with them.

It is really really fun to work there tho. Well was, before they installed crazy monitored cameras everywhere.

Ever sat on a car hauler being towed behind a box truck that's doing snow donuts while on the clock? Its fun.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Second ever autocross! I was hoping to maybe knock off a few tenths off my previous best time and get in the 50 second range; somehow I took off more than 3.27 seconds and I still have quite a few mistakes to iron out, this car has a lot more to give than anyone expects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqHq4MuIhk

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

Goober Peas posted:

Cab to the airport this morning was a franken-panther. Front end of the Vic, back end of the Marquis. Dash was police spec Vic, with 496k miles. Drivers seat was older style with the rounded headrest, passengers seat was newer style with square headrest.

496k...that's awesome. Exactly the reason why I bought the newest/lowest mile Vic I could find: they run FOREVER. With only 27k on the clock I got a loooong time to go with this hunk of BOF RWD beast :v:

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Anyone know where to start looking if I was trying to get a cheap Panther near Seattle? They're supposed to be easy to find here but craigslist is dry as a bone. I need a cheap running auto car by monday and a vic or something seems like a great candidate because it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to fix up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Buy 13" Inch Dick's he's selling his :v:

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I should note it's for a friend who only has $1000 :shobon:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
$1k gets you an aero I've seen, I'll take a look when I get home. $1700 for mine, special goon discount andit's literally ready to drive anywhere in the country. It's basically what I have into it and I don't really think for a car that needs as little as this one does I should really go a whole lot less. Talk to your friend, but I know how it is when cash is a problem (like for me, right now hah)

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

13 INCH DICK posted:

$1k gets you an aero I've seen, I'll take a look when I get home. $1700 for mine, special goon discount andit's literally ready to drive anywhere in the country. It's basically what I have into it and I don't really think for a car that needs as little as this one does I should really go a whole lot less. Talk to your friend, but I know how it is when cash is a problem (like for me, right now hah)

He has some antiques that he's going yo try and pawn to raise the budget a little. Or maybe I can talk him into taking the bus till payday if that's even possible (yay skc transit)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
13 Inch Dicks car would be worth while in buying. Hes gone through it, and should be reliable for some time. Buying one for 1000 bucks could put your friend in more pain and spending way over 1700 total.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Found this on CL thinking about checking it out.

i have a 2006 Crown Vic has 140,000 miles on it. A/C works power windows and locks, tinted windows, car runs great but transmission only has reverse. forward gears just quit without warning, could be a simple solenoid. asking $1000 OBO or trades text me with what you have, Kyle

Anyone have an idea what the deal with the tranny might be?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Could be anything, but at worst you could probably have a rebuilt trans put in it for under $1500 so it would still be a good deal if the car is in good shape overall.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
It looks like the cable goes to the radio, not the antenna. Dis here is the mount, note it has the other end of that cable plugged in:

Also the check engine light is still hosed, won't light at all. It is showing no codes at all, everything tests clear. It is weird.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pumpkin_Paine posted:

It looks like the cable goes to the radio, not the antenna. Dis here is the mount, note it has the other end of that cable plugged in:

Also the check engine light is still hosed, won't light at all. It is showing no codes at all, everything tests clear. It is weird.

That's just a lovely glass mount antenna base. Throw it out. You can remove it from the glass with a razor blade.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Motronic posted:

That's just a lovely glass mount antenna base. Throw it out. You can remove it from the glass with a razor blade.

At present since I am not in the market for a scanner or whatever I am leaving it be, it is currently waterproof and whatever plug I would end up sticking in would take doing something to not be. Maybe next summer I will pull out the cop light and patch the hole in the door it leaves and take care of that antenna mount at the same time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pumpkin_Paine posted:

At present since I am not in the market for a scanner or whatever I am leaving it be, it is currently waterproof and whatever plug I would end up sticking in would take doing something to not be. Maybe next summer I will pull out the cop light and patch the hole in the door it leaves and take care of that antenna mount at the same time.

There's no hole with a glass mount antenna, it's all inductive yo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

There's no hole with a glass mount antenna, it's all inductive yo.

Exactly. Which is also why they are so lovely as doing their job.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
It's been 40 degrees outside when I have been leaving for work so I decided its time to fix the blend door actuator and get my heat back. I would have been done in under an hour if I didn't drop the socket into the heater core box. So that ment I had to loosen the rest of the dash to get my hand in there and fish it out. So about 2 hours total to get it done.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Holdbrooks posted:

It's been 40 degrees outside when I have been leaving for work so I decided its time to fix the blend door actuator and get my heat back. I would have been done in under an hour if I didn't drop the socket into the heater core box. So that ment I had to loosen the rest of the dash to get my hand in there and fish it out. So about 2 hours total to get it done.

Couldn't get in there with a magnet on a stick?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTe8PKHl6Y

I continue to believe I made the right choice by going with glasspacks.

Also, interesting quirk my car has developed. Because of how wobbly my power steering pulley is getting, it feels almost like the pump itself is cavitating and grinding occasionally when i'm driving. I really need to replace that when I get some extra money this month, because it's getting fairly sketchy.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Sad day, my 2000 $1200 p71 bit the dust. Was having the wonderful timing chain rattle that the 99-01s get and put off the $900 repair just a hair too long. Was driving home with the noise as loud as ever when the engine died and I coasted to a stop. Had a feeling the chain slipped and figured since it happened at speed everything was trashed anyways I bumped the starter. It gets about half a crank then just stops, rocking the motor a bit. Got a solid 6 months out of her and should be able to get $500 or so off of craigs so I cant complain too much. Now only if I could get my hands on a newer p71 with an lsd this time.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Check to see how much scrap goes for in your area.
You might be close to $500 with the weight of these cars, and you wouldn't have to dick around with craigslisters.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
I suppose it is better than playing dumb in the listing and acting like I have no mechanical skills or knowledge and am selling a car because of something little. All the money without the guilt and shame afterwards.

EDIT: Local scrap would be $200. Going to try craigs for $500 obo.

ExtremeODD fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 4, 2013

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Don't be too jealous of my fly ride.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Nice Sentra SE-R!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I want a Shelby Crown Vic. That bodykit, the new Coyote engine, etc. I think it'd look decent in black. It'd stop me from getting pulled over for looking like a fake cop, at least.

In yellow it reminds me of this terrible movie. I think that might be the point of it. Boomerjinks, do you know that guy?

I want to see more of the blue and red one behind it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That guy is me, haha. I found a dealership in South Carolina that had nothing but cars with huge rims and that was one of them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202880225513478

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

ExtremeODD posted:

Sad day, my 2000 $1200 p71 bit the dust. Was having the wonderful timing chain rattle that the 99-01s get and put off the $900 repair just a hair too long. Was driving home with the noise as loud as ever when the engine died and I coasted to a stop. Had a feeling the chain slipped and figured since it happened at speed everything was trashed anyways I bumped the starter. It gets about half a crank then just stops, rocking the motor a bit. Got a solid 6 months out of her and should be able to get $500 or so off of craigs so I cant complain too much. Now only if I could get my hands on a newer p71 with an lsd this time.

I just got one without lsd and UGGGHHH

I'm on the fence about swapping it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Has anyone put a coyote or ecoboost v6 in a panther? That would be way cool.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SouthLAnd posted:

How hard are the supercharged Cobra motors to swap in from the 2004 or so Mustangs?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What about the 32v V8? I imagine if would fit.....

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

How hard are the supercharged Cobra motors to swap in from the 2004 or so Mustangs?

Not hard at all, the Marauder already has the NA Cobra motor in it.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

SouthLAnd posted:

No Panther should EVER have anything less than 8 cylinders.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

11BulletCatcher posted:

No Panther should EVER have anything less than 8 cylinders.

How about the 6.7 Power Stroke? 400hp and 800 lb-ft of torque. :getin:

Honestly, panthers are so cool, all engine swaps become cool by default.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SouthLAnd posted:

Honestly, panthers are so cool, all engine swaps become cool by default.

Cadillac V8-6-4. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How about swapping in that inline 6 DOHC I seem to recall australian fords getting?

All proper 6 cylinder engines have them in a line not a vee :bahgawd:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

All proper 6 cylinder engines have them in a line not a vee :bahgawd:

Dem's fightin' words. Unless you have an exception in there for an air cooled flat 6. :hitler:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

leica posted:

Not hard at all, the Marauder already has the NA Cobra motor in it.

Than this should be the default answer. A v8 with all that off the line torque of a positive displacement blower in a boat like the Crown Vic? Sends shivers up my spine I tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Coredump posted:

Than this should be the default answer. A v8 with all that off the line torque of a positive displacement blower in a boat like the Crown Vic? Sends shivers up my spine I tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqhczIGh_aY