Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Bakanogami posted:

Shinbo's been hot to do a slice of life TV series; it was even one of the original plans they'd had for a sequel before they decided on a movie trilogy. Urobuchi's also said in interviews that at the very least he feels like he's written the character of Homura to her ultimate conclusion and doesn't think he'll be back on board for any SoL stuff.

I gather the basic flow was that Urobuchi planned to end it happily with Homura being taken by Madoka (that would be the more faustian way to end it, too), but since Shinbo (and others) wanted to leave a status quo that lent itself more to continuations of the franchise, they brainstormed until Shinbo brought up the idea of Homura and Madoka becoming enemies, and Urobuchi bit onto that and went from there.

I don't know if he ultimately wants a "happy end" for Madoka. He really likes ends that wind up in a weird gray zone where you can't quite decide whether they're good or bad. His favorite seems to be the "good bad end" where the main characters wind up happy even if poo poo gets hosed up, or vice versa. Saya no Uta is a good place to look for this.

That's the thing about the Rebellion end that I like more and more as time goes on. Its lasting repercussions and impressions change depending on how you look at it. Is Homura happy, or sad? Was she right to separate madoka from her higher form? Is she really evil or is she deliberately trying to separate herself from the other magical girls? Is she saving Madoka from her own loneliness/the incubators or is she just serving her own desires?

It makes you think, and I feel that's the hallmark of a really good ending. I will say that I wish they had a little more exposition at the end on the practical effects of the change in the universe. What changed about the law of cycles/the incubators/etc. Does Sayaka retain any memories or were they all rewritten? That sort of stuff is just going to be left open for a few years until any continuation comes out.

You make some good points and Rebellion creates fertile ground for lots of fun filler content, be it SoL or whatever. And putting SoL after Rebellion will make the ending seem less painful even if it does subvert Madoka's original wish. However even if there is lots of filler content for $$$ the franchise is going to ultimately conclude eventually (one should think) and I think the series will continue to hint at the idea that the ultimate fulfillment will be Madoka's victory and Homura's redemption. It might be a ways off, an apocalyptic vision, the second coming of Christ, that sort of thing (perhaps similar to what their teacher was talking about). Admittedly even a far-off apocalyptic ending is the best hope we have for Madoka's wish, that allows us to keep hope alive (which is the essential message) and it allows us to enjoy more Madoka stuff in the interesting Rebellion universe simultaneously. Who knows, maybe Urobuchi would return to write a final conclusion even if it's a decade away... and I do still think he wants a happy ending. Saya no Uta was a happy and satisfying ending for the viewer, whereas the Rebellion ending is cruel for the viewer who believed in Madoka, and demands ultimate reversal. While I do agree that the Rebellion ending seems logical enough and is definitely artistically and thematically impressive, it leaves a hole in my heart and I would really prefer that it be fixed; if I'm not given that to hope for it's going to be too painful to keep watching or even remember, I think. Urobuchi has done a number on my poor spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

HellCopter posted:

The Godoka card was probably my favorite of the lot. There were a ton of people trying to barter with these things before and after the show.

You know, those things are going for $400 on eBay, compared to $50-75 for the others. Everyone in my theatre got either the Sayaka/Kyouko or the Mami/Nagisa.

Robert Denby posted:

Also, brief funny story: The usher came on in front of the screen before the movie began and said that if they caught anyone recording the movie, they would shut down the screening.

They said the exact same thing at the Seattle showing. And speaking of, this marquee seemed oddly fitting--

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bro Enlai posted:

You know, those things are going for $400 on eBay, compared to $50-75 for the others. Everyone in my theatre got either the Sayaka/Kyouko or the Mami/Nagisa.

They said the exact same thing at the Seattle showing. And speaking of, this marquee seemed oddly fitting--

Funny, I was at one of the Seattle showings and we didn't get any of that.

Camrips tend to be too lovely anyways--I'll wait for the BDs for my inevitable rewatch.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bro Enlai posted:

Everyone in my theatre got either the Sayaka/Kyouko or the Mami/Nagisa.
Does anyone know what all the different cards are?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

unpronounceable posted:

Does anyone know what all the different cards are?

Ultimate Madoka, Homura solo, Madoka/Homura, Sayaka/Kyouko, and Bebe/Nagisa should be all of them.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Bro Enlai posted:

I'm going to be Internet rich! I pulled a Godoka and the three that rolled with me got them.

quote:

And speaking of, this marquee seemed oddly fitting-

Life is art.

I'm gonna have to get to a computer to collate my thoughts, but reread my spoiler posts to get my take. If anything, seeing the visuals as clear as on the big screen reinforces things.

Homura is the agent of her own damnation/oblivion, one she wants with everything she is. Since Madoka is just too loving nice to let the self-loathing witch girl die (like in Homura's introduction), Homura, given godlike power, will create a happy world and then force someone to hate her as much as she hates herself.

Neat Easter egg: the words painted on the thing with the newt are "Sweet dreams and a Good Morning", I think.

Long story short: remember when I said Homura should off herself, right before we got the picture where she puts the gun to her head? Apparently I think like Homura thinks.

Hide your pink haired goddesses.

E: Also, in a weird, hosed up sort of way, Homura turning into AkuHomu is her fulfilling her job as Faust. She is reborn in the love of the universe, and leaves the sins of the past behind. The Mephisto figure even gets thouroughly trounced like in the proper Goethe work, instead of kinda winning. It's just that the love Homura has was forged in the hell of despair.

W EDIT: Hey, remember this?

Butch Gen posted:

Therefore, in order to write a perfect ending for a story you have to twist the laws of cause and effect, reverse black and white, and even possess a power to move in the opposite direction from the rule of the universe.

What was Madoka considered again? Butch Gen is a crazy motherfucker.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 9, 2013

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I can't wait for the blu-ray. I want to see translations of the runes, and a gif of Sayaka breakdancing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Bro Enlai posted:

OK that's really weird. Before tonight I had never seen an usher actually get up and say, "We will stop the screening and kick all of you out if we see someone using a camera", even at critics' screenings and premiers. How much do you want to bet Aniplex ordered theaters to do that?

MadRhetoric posted:

Also, in a weird, hosed up sort of way, Homura turning into AkuHomu is her fulfilling her job as Faust. She is reborn in the love of the universe, and leaves the sins of the past behind. The Mephisto figure even gets thouroughly trounced like in the proper Goethe work, instead of kinda winning. It's just that the love Homura has was forged in the hell of despair.
Spoilers for Alexander Sokorouv's version of "Faust" ahead. It's particularly ironic that the outcome has some similarities with Alexander Sokorouv's interpretation of "Faust" which just came out in the US last month. In that version, the Mephisto character leads Faust into a desolate landscape, Faust gets sick of hearing Mephisto's poo poo and kills him. So Faust is just trapped in this desolate, barren wasteland thinking he has some way of getting out. Roll credits.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

Spoilers for Alexander Sokorouv's version of "Faust" ahead. It's particularly ironic that the outcome has some similarities with Alexander Sokorouv's interpretation of "Faust" which just came out in the US last month. In that version, the Mephisto character leads Faust into a desolate landscape, Faust gets sick of hearing Mephisto's poo poo and kills him. So Faust is just trapped in this desolate, barren wasteland thinking he has some way of getting out. Roll credits.

Ha! That's awesome on two different levels. On the one, you have the "trapped in a barren hell of your own making" reading, but on the other, you have the end of the series/Movie 2 where Homura gets sick of Kyubey's poo poo and wanders a barren wasteland, thinking she has some way of getting out

Okay, this poo poo is deep like Eva wishes it was deep. Instead of postmodern obsfucation, we have post-postmodernist New Sincerity so straightforward and dense it can hold multiple readings without handwaving or collapsing under its own bullshit.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That's a bit like locking the door after the burglar is done. A high quality camrip has been doing the rounds for weeks now.

HellCopter posted:

I can't wait for the blu-ray. I want to see translations of the runes, and a gif of Sayaka breakdancing.

Hell, gifs of all the transformations

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

MadRhetoric posted:

Ha! That's awesome on two different levels. On the one, you have the "trapped in a barren hell of your own making" reading, but on the other, you have the end of the series/Movie 2 where Homura gets sick of Kyubey's poo poo and wanders a barren wasteland, thinking she has some way of getting out

Okay, this poo poo is deep like Eva wishes it was deep. Instead of postmodern obsfucation, we have post-postmodernist New Sincerity so straightforward and dense it can hold multiple readings without handwaving or collapsing under its own bullshit.

:stare: That is a lot of genre labels stacked on top of each other. Otherwise this is the best post.

The mad rush to trade posterboards was starting to get a bit frantic (read as: slightly deserving of ridicule) before the lights went down at the Chicago showing. I just gave my Sayaka/Kyouko card to my buddy after the movie and it was the best Christmas present. Thanks, Ume Aoki!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That movie was even better than I expect. My friends and I spent half the drive home (3 hour drive) talking about it. I think the conclusion is that it's as good, if not better, than the original series, and does an excellent job of making the viewer think about the events that took place. The ending is a very good example of a "gray ending," where it's not necessarily good or bad. Not overtly so, anyway; it's left up to the viewer to decide whether or not Homura's actions are justified and whether or not the world is now a better place. I'm also impressed that they avoided making it "bitter sweet" at the same time.

Zassiliss
May 31, 2011

the cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
I was at the Chicago showing last night, the amount of rage and shouting when the theatre started pulling down the curtains before the after credits scene was great. Also saw that dude who makes all those Space Jam mashups on YouTube...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Zassiliss posted:

I was at the Chicago showing last night, the amount of rage and shouting when the theatre started pulling down the curtains before the after credits scene was great. Also saw that dude who makes all those Space Jam mashups on YouTube...

I think the stunned silence afterwards at the end of the after-credits scene was more telling--I think the Chicago audience, at least, was expecting some sort of dramatic turnaround or at least a bittersweet addendum. Nope! They got more Homura slumping jauntily in her chair thinking "hmm...maybe after all this was a--"

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Now that I've come down from the fanboy hype, that was still an excellently crafted movie. Thanks to the camrip, I had the benefit of time to ruminate beforehand and really catch the imagery and dialogue on the big screen. I haven't seen something that trippy, but still clear and confidently expressed since Fellini. In fact, there are some weird parallels to Otto e Mezzo that just hit me, but I have to hash them out before I spergy effortpost again.

Preliminary notes for how I see this poo poo:

Madoka and Homura are two sides of the same coin. They both are shy and kind-hearted, and being a magical girl gives them purpose and strength. They both don't really like themselves that much, but they love other people and hate that the thing that makes them feel good hurts others. They both write themselves out of the picture to "fix" things for everybody else. Only difference is Homura can take the bitter emotions because she's always been gloomy and is used to crushing despair and loneliness.

The thing that make Homura go crazy is the opposite of yandere desire. A yandere hurts for love; Homura snaps because her love hurt Madoka. In her mind, because she was a creepy stalker who couldn't beat Walpurgisnacht, Madoka had to do something she didn't want to bail out Homura and to make the deaths of every other meguca not be in vain.

When it's on Homura to make the choice, she chooses death. She sees herself as the final, worst Witch that is allowing Madoka to be subverted and Witches must be vanquished. When Madoka and Sayaka are too awesome to let her die, she becomes something that will make them want to kill her. A lot of the weird rune and Witch stuff that follows her around deals with death. I'm half sure the weird kid familiars are chanting "Tod, Tod" and "das ist tod" when Homura's like "I'll become a Witch". That's "death, death, that is death". One of the rune cards in Homu's transformation says "I wish for death. Death is glory," if I recall correctly.

The snatching scene the only part of the script that gets shaky (Sayaka was right there when Kyubey was trying to gently caress things up; Homura could explain her plan and Sayaka'd probably be down), but if you take into account Homura's mindstate at the time, it makes sense. Homura just came out of being a Witch that demanded to be punished, after willfully damning herself to a life without salvation. Once she crossed that line, she could take on all sin with a smile, since she's already the worst of sinners. Getting to hear Madoka's real spit in the dream world was fulfillment of her wish. It is the only selfishness she allows herself in taking Madoka and she hates herself for it after. I would not be surprised if tumblrites read the severance scene as sexual or rapey.

A yandere wants only to possess the object of their affection and will kill to keep it. Homura does snatch the human part of Madoka, but acknowledges Madoka's desire and duty even if it means they can never be together. An actual yandere Homu would snatch Madokami and freeze time in an eternal embrace. Instead, she chooses severance and oblivion. Nobody would mind if she sacrificed herself and disappeared, so she did.

tl;dr: Homura in the movies is suicidal The Dark Knight Batman crossed with manga Shinji.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm producing two different interpretations of your reading, though. Was the ultimate goal of the Homura's severance to make everyone forget about her as a good little magical girl who needs to be saved, or to make everyone hate her as the Embodiment of All Evil/Lust/Angra Mainyu-thing?

P.S.: Were you the guy reading Paradise Lost outside?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm producing two different interpretations of your reading, though. Was the ultimate goal of the Homura's severance to make everyone forget about her as a good little magical girl who needs to be saved, or to make everyone hate her as the Embodiment of All Evil/Lust/Angra Mainyu-thing?

P.S.: Were you the guy reading Paradise Lost outside?

The ultimate goal of the severance was to give Madoka a happy life. Like I've been saying, Rebellion is Homura figuring out she's the cause of and solution to all of Madoka's problems. The way she did it plays into both your readings. Homura was willing to turn into a Witch in the hopes that Mami and Kyouko would flat out kill her. She turns into Fate Extra CCC's Angry Manjuice and goes out of her was to piss off Sayaka to get her to call her the Devil and aim to strike her down someday.

Nah, I wasn't reading Paradise Lost. I was the guy in the TokiDoki hat.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

"Unfortunately, only doing the right thing doesn't always end happily."
"Then just make a mistake, somebody has to be in the wrong to balance out her need to be "correct".
"Looking back after a while, you realize that was actualy the best choice in the end."

~ Junko Kaname

Oh man, that Chicago showing. I was in a /a/ group that camped out at the front of the line for eight hours to secure signboards, and then we all ended up getting KyouSaya hahaha. I traded for Homu.
I did not mind the crowd at all. I expected it from teenagers.
It's not the audience's fault for acting out of habit when the credits rolled, but I wish the uproar wasn't so loud that they couldn't hear me shouting, "shut up, it's not over!" I mean, what kind of anime fan doesn't listen to the ED? They have no idea what they were missing (subs for the OP/ED would have helped in that regard, Aniplex.)

Spoilers truly do increase enjoyment. I watched the gently caress out of the camrip several times and it only made the theatrical release one of the best times of my life. Last night I literally enjoyed every frame of that movie. I couldn't contain my smile.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Kaleid Stardust posted:

I mean, what kind of anime fan doesn't listen to the ED? They have no idea what they were missing (subs for the OP/ED would have helped in that regard, Aniplex.)

It's a shame too, the lyrics are pretty meaningful as usual.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Yeah, seriously. If the audience had just stayed immersed in the credits, I may have even cried. Actually, there was a highschool-aged girl with her mom behind me who was audibly crying during the flower-field scene with MadoHomu. I thought that was adorable.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Did every single theater have autograph boards? I got to the theater a little late (about 30 minutes before it started) so I would have missed them handing anything out, but I didn't see or hear anyone talking about them or trying to trade or showing them off or holding them or anything like that. (I'm pretty much trying to convince myself that not arriving hours in advance didn't cost me any sweet memorabilia)

And now I find myself on eBay, desperately trying to get a Homura or Madoka/Homura one without spending way too much money. I don't have high hopes.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
My theater didn't have 'em. There were several people with Kyubey dolls though.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Yo Kalied, I was with my teenaged brothers and sister and they were like "what are these people, ten?"

As expected from otaku but still.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

MadRhetoric posted:

The ultimate goal of the severance was to give Madoka a happy life. Like I've been saying, Rebellion is Homura figuring out she's the cause of and solution to all of Madoka's problems. The way she did it plays into both your readings. Homura was willing to turn into a Witch in the hopes that Mami and Kyouko would flat out kill her. She turns into Fate Extra CCC's Angry Manjuice and goes out of her was to piss off Sayaka to get her to call her the Devil and aim to strike her down someday.

Nah, I wasn't reading Paradise Lost. I was the guy in the TokiDoki hat.

Okay, two birds with one stone like I was starting to suspect. In my opinion, the results of the severance actually achieving the goal of Madoka ending up in a new/old life of peace, harmony, and security is fairly debatable. If Madoka's body and memories returning to the marble now maintained by Homura is what Madoka really wanted, if this ending is what she really meant and desired by her confession in the flower field, then yes, that would be a happy life for her. She never has to leave behind or be left behind by anyone, ever again, not as long as Homuhomu has anything to say about it.

However, coming from the TV series at least (I think the second movie was still like this?), the audience's perspective has been colored heavily by the emotional climax of meduka attaining Ultimate meguca form, practically to the degree that her original sacrifice in and of itself was depicted as the best self-actualization of her own personal life, her desire, and all her emotional build-up up to then. The Best Ending Possible, in Madoka's own opinion, so to speak--where her own self with all its faults were sublimated to the world, where she figuratively did the right thing as so candidly put in perspective by her mom, and where she had a sort of extra meaning to the world as being one of its natural forces. In a monomythical Star Wars-like reading, that was the "happy life", and this movie kind of, uh, nullifies that.

I'm not attempting to cast the possessive "I am God for Madoka only" motivation in a negative light, but reading your reading (reading over your reading?) I was reminded of the scene redux of Homura leading Madoka down the school hallway again and I began to find how Homura had to forcibly ground her with affection ironic. Happiness is so subjective when it's someone else's happiness.

There was a guy with his sister in the row behind me in the theater and the sister didn't feel like going up to others to trade boards in-person because (I mused) icky loud otaku. She was adorable.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 9, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Saw an unattributed claim(supposedly sourced from an interview) that Homura was at nearly a hundred time loops. Anyone knows the source for that?

It does explain how bent she was by now though. Loopy.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veekie posted:

Saw an unattributed claim(supposedly sourced from an interview) that Homura was at nearly a hundred time loops. Anyone knows the source for that?

It does explain how bent she was by now though. Loopy.

I've seen two quotes on how many loops Homura did, both attributed to Urobuchi. He apparently said 100 loops at a western anime con. The transcript's on the wiki somewhere. I haven't been able to find the exact source, but there's been another quote floating around Japanese circles recently saying it's "more than 5, less than 1000." The highball estimate there would put her at spending about 80 years looping from her perspective.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm not attempting to cast the possessive "I am God for Madoka only" motivation in a negative light, but reading your reading (reading over your reading?) I was reminded of the scene redux of Homura leading Madoka down the school hallway again and I began to find how Homura had to forcibly ground her with affection ironic. Happiness is so subjective when it's someone else's happiness.

Looking up at post-Rebellion fanworks on pixiv and such, I like that the "fanon" conclusion on devil Homura is that she winds up acting exactly the same as while she was looping, only instead of following Madoka around constantly having to make sure she doesn't make a contract with QB, she follows Madoka around constantly having to make sure she doesn't regain her memories.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Looking up at post-Rebellion fanworks on pixiv and such, I like that the "fanon" conclusion on devil Homura is that she winds up acting exactly the same as while she was looping, only instead of following Madoka around constantly having to make sure she doesn't make a contract with QB, she follows Madoka around constantly having to make sure she doesn't regain her memories.

Now I imagine AkuHomu hugging Madoka like older/Ultimate Madoka in the series OP and going "You/Me/Us dammit Madoka, just chill and let me be God, okay? Think of it as a vacation."

And yeah Sidesaddle, that's what leads people to freak out about devil Homu. She hosed with the standard monomythical ending because it wasn't personally satisfying to either of them in her crazy mind.

There's an interesting wrinkle to Shinbo claiming the movies are alternate continuity; it changes the tenor of the protagonist. In the series, Madoka is most definitely the protagonist, but people bought in to Homu. In the movies, taking Rebellion into account, Homura is the protagonist, but people have bought into Madokami since they stuck the landing so well on the series. So they re-manufactured that split narrative by having Homura go batshit. The weird cuts they made in the previous recap movies and that little bit in the graveyard in Eternal actually make more sense if you look at the movies as a remake with Homura as focal point. The way they cut in Episode 10 in Eternal is perfect for expressing Homura as focus since it's no longer out of the blue, it's reminiscience after coobie gives Homura poo poo on Kyouko dying.

It's kinda awesome. Choose the protagonist and story you like best.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

MadRhetoric posted:

Yo Kalied, I was with my teenaged brothers and sister and they were like "what are these people, ten?"

As expected from otaku but still.

Yeah, it was juvenile. I don't know, I really hesitate to judge those people. It's irritating, but it's the result of the environments those kids were raised in coupled with their genes, as well as society's influence and the group psychology at play in the theater.
I really empathize with Homura. I can't give up on people. I don't think I would ever be the same if I did. So call me biased. Haha.

On Homura's loops, Urobuchi said 'approaching 100' in a recent interview. Calendars shown in the show place the final loop at about 46 days. Assuming most of the other loops extend fully from Homura's hospital release to Walpurgisnacht, that would put Homura's time in the loops at 10-12 years.

Oh yeah, I love the fanworks in Japan so far. I really like the interpretation that Homura has simply landed herself in the usual setting where she has to put on a mask in front of others, except now it's worse because she can't even be honest with Madoka.

Kaleid Stardust fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 10, 2013

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Was at the Chicago showing last night with a friend and guys from /a/ whom went to the pre-movie dinner and I liked the movie. Knowing that Urobuchi wanted a happy ending but Shinbo changing it to the one we got so that we can get another movie/series is kinda weird and understandable. Have they announced the released date for the BD yet because I really want to rewatch it again but not in a shakly camrip form.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

You know what'd be really funny? If Urobuchi did the ending he wanted, that would've been more pandering.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Kaleid Stardust posted:

Yeah, it was juvenile. I don't know, I really hesitate to judge those people. It's irritating, but it's the result of the environments those kids were raised in coupled with their genes, as well as society's influence and the group psychology at play in the theater.
I really empathize with Homura. I can't give up on people. I don't think I would ever be the same if I did. So call me biased. Haha.

On Homura's loops, Urobuchi said 'approaching 100' in a recent interview. Calendars shown in the show place the final loop at about 46 days. Assuming most of the other loops extend fully from Homura's hospital release to Walpurgisnacht, that would put Homura's time in the loops at 10-12 years.

Oh yeah, I love the fanworks in Japan so far. I really like the interpretation that Homura has simply landed herself in the usual setting where she has to put on a mask in front of others, except now it's worse because she can't even be honest with Madoka.

Man, she's seen more battle than some veterans of WWII.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

MadRhetoric posted:

You know what'd be really funny? If Urobuchi did the ending he wanted, that would've been more pandering.

Once again, Urobuchi is unable to do a healing end. Hahaha. Though he did agree with Shinbo's idea once it was suggested, because it works.

Giovanni, me too! Sort of. The /a/ meetup split when half of us didn't go to Sushi Mura and risk our spots at the front of the line, but we did go to IHOP after. I was the ponytail guy if you saw us. But Blu-rays take a while. I'd project them for the next summer. You're stuck with camrip if you want a rewatch anytime soon. That's another reason why I watched it several times before the premiere, rather than after.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Kaleid Stardust posted:

Giovanni, me too! Sort of. The /a/ meetup split when half of us didn't go to Sushi Mura and risk our spots at the front of the line, but we did go to IHOP after. I was the ponytail guy if you saw us. But Blu-rays take a while. I'd project them for the next summer. You're stuck with camrip if you want a rewatch anytime soon. That's another reason why I watched it several times before the premiere, rather than after.

Yeah we were told that half of the guys went to the line instead of eating, by the time we got to the line it was still wasn't long so we were luckily I guess, didn't make it the IHOP as my friend need to go to work this morning and we were using his car. Anyway I guess I can wait but in the event were I break down and want to rewatch the film how is the camrip?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Yeah we were told that half of the guys went to the line instead of eating, by the time we got to the line it was still wasn't long so we were luckily I guess, didn't make it the IHOP as my friend need to go to work this morning and we were using his car. Anyway I guess I can wait but in the event were I break down and want to rewatch the film how is the camrip?

The camera is steady and the audio is alright but the video is kinda choppy (it makes some of the more unconventional scenes looks really bad instead of stylish) and you can only see about 2/3rds or so of the screen.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

jonjonaug posted:

The camera is steady and the audio is alright but the video is kinda choppy (it makes some of the more unconventional scenes looks really bad instead of stylish) and you can only see about 2/3rds or so of the screen.

If the camrip I looked at was the same one, the subs are also really bad. I think the translator had difficulty making out what they were saying or something because there are more than a few lines with misleading errors. Also it cuts off the left third of the screen.

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

Bakanogami posted:

If the camrip I looked at was the same one, the subs are also really bad. I think the translator had difficulty making out what they were saying or something because there are more than a few lines with misleading errors. Also it cuts off the left third of the screen.

They've had a few different subs. The most recent is Homusubs which takes Suffering Subs and the Aniplex subs and takes the best of both, supposedly.

Yeah in the end they had more signboards than people so the line position ended up not mattering, besides that we got front-middle seats.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Cried all Saturday evening. Cried myself to sleep Saturday night. Cried most of Sunday. Still crying at the drop of a hat. Currently crying.

I can't help but wonder if this is the next SEED Destiny. Loved by Japan, disowned by the West.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Just came back from the showing in London. It was well worth the money.

First of all, I was really impressed with the surreal animation and the fight scenes. Tops for me was the Homura/Mami gun battle. Man, that's how you do action right. Music was good as expected, too.

Plotwise, it was really fun seeing the Magical Quintet in action together. It's something I would've liked to have seen in the show (I don't remember it happening there at least, unless I have a horrible memory). I knew it was too good to last, though. I guess this means the whole "Madoka erased all witches from history" didn't quite come off as planned, then? Or did I miss something?

As for the big twist, well, I was pretty good at not being spoiled except for getting some vague hints here and there that "Homura does something bad", so I figured something was coming. Sure enough, it did. However, I can't say I expected Homura to become an actual devil or demon or whatever. I'm still processing how "happy" of an ending this makes it, though. Homura does save Madoka in a sense, and the world seems peaceful enough (though it's fairly ambiguous at this point), but it's still selfish. Liked seeing Homura push around Kyubey, at least.

The new character Nagisa seems cute enough, but really didn't make much of an impact on me. Maybe she will in the almost-inevitable sequel.

All in all, a pretty great movie, and it sure left me thinking afterwards. And I got a "Madoka as God" board. Nice.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Nick Biped posted:

Plotwise, it was really fun seeing the Magical Quintet in action together. It's something I would've liked to have seen in the show (I don't remember it happening there at least, unless I have a horrible memory).

The closest we ever get on screen is just the four of them in Episode 10 during Homura's second trip back in time after discovering that magical girls turn into witches. First it was everyone minus Kyouko since Sayaka was wary of her and then it was everyone minus Sayaka who had turned into a witch. God that loop was brutal. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaleid Stardust
Oct 27, 2013

by toby

MagicalDuck posted:

I can't help but wonder if this is the next SEED Destiny. Loved by Japan, disowned by the West.

What led you to that conclusion? :v

• Locked thread