Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

echomadman posted:

Its probably one of those auto fjr1300s combined with a healthy dose of not knowing poo poo about motorcycles.

Or his uncle works at Nintendo Kawasaki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

echomadman posted:

Its probably one of those auto fjr1300s combined with a healthy dose of not knowing poo poo about motorcycles.

I've never heard of this and it's actually really cool. Let's be realistic here, though - the bike he was talking about doesn't actually exist.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echomadman posted:

Its probably one of those auto fjr1300s

Yeah, well, my uncle has one of the new FJR2600s. Uh, I mean FJR3900. Yeah. It's not even out yet but he has one. No you can't see it, it's in the shop today, but it was totally here yesterday and I even rode on it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

TheNothingNew posted:

It always shocks me when people manage to maintain this mindset past grade school.

Thread needs some counterpoint: it has been snowing lightly all day, there's maybe 3-4 inches out there. I was shoveling an hour ago, and some dude rode past on a Ural (I think, little hard to see) with sidecar. Guy had a hi-vis jacket on as well as full gear, from what I could see. Made my day.

My stepdad is kinda crazy so when it snows he rides his Ural around complete with leather goggles and sheepskin bomber jacket on. It's the two wheel drive model so it's actually better in the snow than his Previa or his mid 80's 2wd Toyota pickup.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bugdrvr posted:

My stepdad is kinda crazy so when it snows he rides his Ural around complete with leather goggles and sheepskin bomber jacket on. It's the two wheel drive model so it's actually better in the snow than his Previa or his mid 80's 2wd Toyota pickup.

It's all fun and games until some assmunch asspacks you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

It's all fun and games until some assmunch asspacks you.

I thought that was when the fun and games really start :gay:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I feel like I finally joined the brotherhood today - a random guy at a gas station told me about how he rides a real bike. He also seemed amazed that I could ride my Griso for more than a couple hours at a time. My theory is he saw my full-face helmet and other ATGATTery and assumed it was a sport bike of some kind. I think he was also saying Victories are real bikes, but I couldn't hear him too well with my helmet on and earplugs in.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Heh, I had a similar experience at the hardware store last week. Guy at the checkout looked at my gear and said "Wow, that's a fancy setup, your bike must be fast!". He then seemed disappointed when I told him I rode a dirt bike that can barely reach 120km/h.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"It's fast as gently caress, bro" is the default answer to the 'is it fast' question. Just get used to that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
My typical response is "it's a motorcycle", followed by a shrug.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I had a guy who makes five times what I do tell me "That's a pretty sweet bike!" and it made me all :unsmith:

I'm a poor motorcyclist help me wes siler :negative:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I actually had a "Sportsters aren't real Harelys," guy the other day.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

He's right though. They're good bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I actually had a "Sportsters aren't real Harelys," guy the other day.

Stops and turns? Not a real Harley.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

[sporster] Stops and turns?

Not if you were to believe what you hear here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never ridden any kind of Harley but every non-Harley person I've spoken to IRL has told me that only the sportster approaches anything resembling decent handling, ground clearance etc. and is generally the best all-round bike they make.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I've never ridden any kind of Harley but every non-Harley person I've spoken to IRL has told me that only the sportster approaches anything resembling decent handling, ground clearance etc. and is generally the best all-round bike they make.

I feel like there are a lot of sour grapes tied up in that mindset.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sour grapes as in "they're just jealous that they can't afford a $25,000 full-dress bagger?" :rolleyes:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That and a second helping of logical fallacy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had a :psyduck: moment a couple of days ago when some promotion thing was on the radio and it finishes with "...and you'll be in the draw to win a forty thousand dollar Harley Davidson!!!". That just seems like an obscene amount of money for a bike that isn't really the best at anything.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
$40K is obscene for any motorcycle that isn't jet-propelled, trimmed in gold, can do the whole Multistrada variable geometry, and has an automatic butt-massager built into the seat for long rides.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To be fair, a panigale costs 50k here. I'm kind of blown away that a new bike market even exists in NZ when I look at the prices. The depreciation you face is just monstrous.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
To be fair, the million dollar Harleys are pretty good at highway touring. It's just a slightly more awkward Goldwing.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I like the look of some of the factory custom Harleys. There's one around me that looks great, a stripped soft tail deluxe, I think, with beautiful green metal flake paint.

Of course the owner is a 500 lb slob who rides like a complete dickbag in his jean overalls. It's a shame.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhLKg4DRoLo

make sure you watch to the end

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2014

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Worth it for the ending. I actually laughed out loud.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What a loving champion.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
His motorcycle isn't even silver. What kind of New Zealand Kiwi justice is this

(Also getting off with a $200 fine + costs for 15 over and a theoretically already extensive court record is such a gentle wrist slap)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Local listing for a buell XB9:

"Great little bike to ride. The short wheel base makes it more of a cutting and turning bike rather than a leaning around the corner bike."

and

"It has a Harley Davidson Sportster race tuned engine in it and you can tell as soon as you throttle down and boom."

:downs:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Worth it for the ending. I actually laughed out loud.

I remember seeing this when it came out. The ending is hilarious. Never ride angry. :rimshot:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

"Great little bike to ride. The short wheel base makes it more of a cutting and turning bike rather than a leaning around the corner bike."

and

"It has a Harley Davidson Sportster race tuned engine in it and you can tell as soon as you throttle down and boom."

Both of those sound accurate :confused:

Think about it from the point of reference of a typical harley rider

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 15, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Woody Harrelson?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Thanks to the wonders of reddit, I have this link:

http://uncompromisedmen.com/2012/08/18/the-key-to-transportation-bliss/

I will quote because their HTML isn't working and you'll miss the BEST BEST PART:

quote:

Motorcycles are dangerous and insane, so now let’s talk about why none of that matters.

For starters, this:

Is there really anything left to say? If this doesn’t make you want a motorcycle, your only hope is to continue reading.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Thanks to the wonders of reddit, I have this link:

http://uncompromisedmen.com/2012/08/18/the-key-to-transportation-bliss/

I will quote because their HTML isn't working and you'll miss the BEST BEST PART:

Oh poo poo, have GWB and Bono merged to make something the whole world can hate?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

and

This is code for "I cannot contain my wheelies."

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
What is it about Honda Metropolitan riders that makes them so casual about gear?

Last night on my ride home from the gym I rolled up to a stop light near the University of Washington and saw a very attractive girl in yoga pants and a windbreaker riding a green Honda Metropolitan with the straps from her 3/4 helmet hanging loose. This is winter in Seattle, it's milder than most places, but wet all the drat time. I really hope she figures out that helmets don't do any good when they don't stay on your head before it becomes an issue.

Then this morning riding to work I passed through the U-District again, and right before I hit the University Bridge (which has that really terrible grated metal surface since it's a drawbridge) I hit another stoplight behind another Honda Metro rider. This one was in hiking gear (rain shell, lightweight pants and trail shoes), and a god drat snowboarding helmet. Unclipped. Straps hanging loose. :gibs:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's just scooters in general, I think. People seem to see them as closer to bicycles than motorcycles, and hardly anyone wears a helmet on a bike, so...

I wonder what percentage of people in the USA would actually wear a helmet on a motorcycle or scooter if they weren't mandated to do so by law? I'll bet the number is depressing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'll admit I ride a bicycle around town with no helmet or other gear, while at the same time I go out with full gear on every motorcycle ride, even if it's to the same location.

I can't really rationalize it. Head injuries off a bicycle at 20mph are the same as a motorcycle. But I do it. Dunno.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I really think there's a need for proper protective gear for road bikers...I've hit 50mph indicated on big downhills while just wearing a bike helmet, shorts and a t-shirt...plus tiny tires, etc, etc, etc.

Definitely investing in a full face for bicycling as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The realities of getting schwacked aren't associated with the scooter like they are with the motorcycle. They are seen as safe even though I would argue I felt like I took a lot more risks slowly puttering ahead of impatient and inattentive drivers on some thing that gets to 30 mph "eventually".

• Locked thread