Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yay, Anandtech found out that you can't run the N5 at maximum volume on the headphones without it loving up the sound, because the amp doesn't get enough juice apparently.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smartphone-audio-quality-testing/2

Oh no I can't permanently damage my hearing because the sound will be somewhat distorted?

Truly, the greatest flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yay, Anandtech found out that you can't run the N5 at maximum volume on the headphones without it loving up the sound, because the amp doesn't get enough juice apparently.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7567/smartphone-audio-quality-testing/2

It's already ear spittingly loud at 80% though.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is what you get for buying a phone that's ~$350 unsubsidized. Corners get cut.

Of all the things to get cut, this is one that I really don't mind.

I mean, maybe it's just me, but it's better then a half baked screen or poo poo radios.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope you enjoy going deaf. All that noise (no pun intended) about how headphones at max volume will destroy your hearing is true.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But now I can't plug my phone in the jukebox at a party and bring all the sweet beats!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Hadlock posted:

I hope you enjoy going deaf. All that noise (no pun intended) about how headphones at max volume will destroy your hearing is true.
v:v:v

Maybe someone wants to drive high impedance headphones on their cellphone? The Sony in-ears of mine do already need more power to drive to reach the same volume than any Philips, Panasonic or even Sennheiser ones I've had. Altho I expect the Sennheisers to be some rebranded poo poo ones, given the price.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i really don't get all the complaints about the n5 audio volume.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Eej posted:

But now I can't plug my phone in the jukebox at a party and bring all the sweet beats!

The Nexus 5 will bypass the headphone amplifier if it detects minimal impedance on the output, essentially turning the headphone jack in to a line-out. This has been a feature on smartphones for a number of years now.

Combat Pretzel posted:

v:v:v

Maybe someone wants to drive high impedance headphones on their cellphone? The Sony in-ears of mine do already need more power to drive to reach the same volume than any Philips, Panasonic or even Sennheiser ones I've had. Altho I expect the Sennheisers to be some rebranded poo poo ones, given the price.

There are literally thousands of headphones on the market that the N5 will drive easily,

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eej posted:

Just use the line-in jack like normal people? Any device should have zero issues pushing line-in level tunes to a stereo. This issue really only applies to 12 year olds with giant, lovely headphones and people with stupidly expensive headphones.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Is there a comparison of extended batteries somewhere on the internet?

Looking for an upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S4's stock battery as well as a protective case that works with it, I can see a few options.

Seidio case and its associated battery.

mophie Juice Pack

Plus a few others from Hyperion, MOTA, and others. I don't know what I should base my decision on other than general word of mouth regarding the charge and life expectancy of a given battery. I've read to generally look at OEM batteries, but I don't think Samsung makes any.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Thermopyle posted:

With regards to a low-power bluetooth thingy to use with the Moto X's Trusted Devices feature, I just read that the Fitbit Flex is BT 4.0 LE. I don't have one to test out, but that might be a good option to use.

I don't know if you ignored my posts or didn't see them, but everything I've read says that LE devices aren't fit for use as trusted devices. Just get a Cobra Tag.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422936201"]
I don't know if you ignored my posts or didn't see them, but everything I've read says that LE devices aren't fit for use as trusted devices. Just get a Cobra Tag.

I saw you post about the Cobra Tag, I didn't see a post about LE not working.

That's a shame.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Presumably that's why Bluetooth 4.1 adds automatic reconnect to BT Smart/LE's protocol.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cultural Imperial posted:

i really don't get all the complaints about the n5 audio volume.

Its inconsistant. The volume for Maps is loving terrible.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Presumably that's why Bluetooth 4.1 adds automatic reconnect to BT Smart/LE's protocol.

And we'll likely see it in Android version 6.1, "Watermelon," sometime in 2018.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

William Bear posted:

Is there a comparison of extended batteries somewhere on the internet?

Looking for an upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy S4's stock battery as well as a protective case that works with it, I can see a few options.

Seidio case and its associated battery.

mophie Juice Pack

Plus a few others from Hyperion, MOTA, and others. I don't know what I should base my decision on other than general word of mouth regarding the charge and life expectancy of a given battery. I've read to generally look at OEM batteries, but I don't think Samsung makes any.

personally, i use this behemoth in situations for travel or whatever, and it feels almost impossible to kill in less than 2 days.

day to day , i use (no link because amazon is being weird about it) the zerolemon 3000mah battery, which gives a slight boost compared to the 2600mah stock battery. You can get a couple of them and an external charger for 22 bucks. The downside is that i think it borks NFC.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

grack posted:

The Nexus 5 will bypass the headphone amplifier if it detects minimal impedance on the output, essentially turning the headphone jack in to a line-out. This has been a feature on smartphones for a number of years now.

Hadlock posted:

Just use the line-in jack like normal people? Any device should have zero issues pushing line-in level tunes to a stereo. This issue really only applies to 12 year olds with giant, lovely headphones and people with stupidly expensive headphones.

You have no idea how many people I've run into that love music and get the latest phones etc. all the time who have no idea what a line in jack is. I mean, there's a big market for beats and other Monster products after all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Eej posted:

You have no idea how many people I've run into that love music and get the latest phones etc. all the time who have no idea what a line in jack is. I mean, there's a big market for beats and other Monster products after all.

Beats is no longer a Monster product.

Monster makes some exceptionally good headphones.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So, autoawesome just did this.

Imgur wasn't creating a smaller animated gif and I'm not embedding that in the post--it made all the lights on the christmas tree twinkle.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 9, 2013

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Nerdrock posted:

personally, i use this behemoth in situations for travel or whatever, and it feels almost impossible to kill in less than 2 days.

day to day , i use (no link because amazon is being weird about it) the zerolemon 3000mah battery, which gives a slight boost compared to the 2600mah stock battery. You can get a couple of them and an external charger for 22 bucks. The downside is that i think it borks NFC.

Wow, that thing looks amazing. I just want to ask about the 7500mah battery. Amazon reviewers note that it's exceptionally heavy and it ruins signal reception. How do you feel about those criticisms?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Moto X $150 discount code. PM me if you want it.

Edit: gently caress it. About to head to sleep and don't want PM city tomorrow when you can't get a code in 10 minutes before the website melts down:

Promo Code Expiration $150 off a 16GB or 32GB Moto X without contract through Moto Maker:
H2DW-QIRB-FYPX-OLDV-XAZG 12/11/13 11:59PM EST 30% off most accessories -Extended! THANKS 12/11/13 11:59PM EST

Kindly post when it's used so I can edit edit.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 9, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What the hell do I have to do to stop being asked what identity I want to use every time I start the YouTube app? I resisted G+ integration and now I have two "accounts" and keep having to choose one. This is the worst.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

This whole Samsung issue is hopefully a Streisand effect in the making. I was seriously considering a Galaxy S [version something] a couple of years back when my previous phone was stolen, but now I'm kind of glad I didn't. Forcing people to keep issues like phones catching flame quiet and never speak of it is a really lovely and irresponsible move. http://www.neowin.net/news/samsung-tries-to-silence-user-whose-s4-caught-fire-it-doesnt-go-over-well

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Craptacular! posted:

What the hell do I have to do to stop being asked what identity I want to use every time I start the YouTube app? I resisted G+ integration and now I have two "accounts" and keep having to choose one. This is the worst.

I think by resisting G+ integration you actually created MORE G+ ACCOUNTS. Be glad you don't have any Youtube channels because you'd have another G+ account for each of those too! So many accounts, G+ is going places!

Seriously the whole thing's a mess, they're trying to fundamentally change what Youtube is - basically making it a video hosting network with all the social and account stuff shifted into G+ - but without really explaining the changes and what's going to be happening down the line.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

William Bear posted:

Wow, that thing looks amazing. I just want to ask about the 7500mah battery. Amazon reviewers note that it's exceptionally heavy and it ruins signal reception. How do you feel about those criticisms?

Well, I came from a Note 2 with an extended battery, so i'm used to loving stupid huge/heavy phones. Make no mistake, it's BIG. But : you get what you expect.

That said, I've not noticed any signal degradation personally. LTE / HSPA in my area didn't seem to be any worse, and bluetooth is just as good. If there's a problem it's causing, I hadn't even noticed it.

Edit : Guess I should clarify I'm on AT&T. Different carriers, like Verizon, may or may not have different experiences with interference.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

api call girl posted:

So, autoawesome just did this.

Imgur wasn't creating a smaller animated gif and I'm not embedding that in the post--it made all the lights on the christmas tree twinkle.

:stare:

I need to start taking more pictures just to see what Auto Awesome will do to it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I grilled out the other day over a hobo fire, and I put some super thick bacon on it. I let it cook too long and the bacon was ruined, it was really sad. I took a few videos of the process, concluding in the eating of the burnt bacon.

Google Plus made an auto-awesome video out of it that actually had somber music. I'm not sure how they programmed that logic into it, but the process knew it was a sad event.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Does Google inform you that it made an auto-awesome thing or do I need to go into my G+ photos to check?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

SB35 posted:

Does Google inform you that it made an auto-awesome thing or do I need to go into my G+ photos to check?

Auto awesome images will show up in your photos app under "highlights".

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SB35 posted:

I get notifications on my phone, but I don't if that's a specific setting.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Is there any way to get auto-awesome to make movies without one of the approved devices?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sobriquet posted:

Is there any way to get auto-awesome to make movies without one of the approved devices?
I believe it does it for any series of photos uploaded to Google+ regardless of device.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Auto-awesome did the animated lights thing for me when I took a picture of the kid my wife was babysitting on Santa's lap, with lights in the back ground, and again on our Christmas tree. Auto-awesome is pretty... awesome.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Regarding the N5 headphone jack - I find that when using the line out with my car, the level is much lower than it was on my galaxy nexus. I have to turn the volume way up in my car to get the same volume as before. Which really sucks when I switch to another input :/

Anyone else notice that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hrm, seems like my display has developed a tiny spot where the backlight bleeds through a little more. It wasn't there before, and it coincides with the lower left part of the charging coil. Hope this is temporary, or at least doesn't grow.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

the nicker posted:

Regarding the N5 headphone jack - I find that when using the line out with my car, the level is much lower than it was on my galaxy nexus. I have to turn the volume way up in my car to get the same volume as before. Which really sucks when I switch to another input :/

Anyone else notice that?

Yes, I notice it. Previously I used an Xperia Arc and I find that when connected via auxiliary, the volumes is significantly lower than I'd like. Minor complaint, but still....

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the nicker posted:

Anyone else notice that?

Get something like this and never plug your phone in again

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386606238&sr=8-1&keywords=a2dp+car

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

LastInLine posted:

I believe it does it for any series of photos uploaded to Google+ regardless of device.

Hm...I take a pretty good amount of photos and even a few videos. I've had G+ make GIFs, panoramas, collages, and onion-skins, but never a movie so far. I think with certain phones there is a button that makes an album into an Auto-Awesome movie, but I guess there's no plan to expand that to older phones.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

hotsauce posted:

Moto X $150 discount code. PM me if you want it.

Edit: gently caress it. About to head to sleep and don't want PM city tomorrow when you can't get a code in 10 minutes before the website melts down:

Promo Code Expiration $150 off a 16GB or 32GB Moto X without contract through Moto Maker:
H2DW-QIRB-FYPX-OLDV-XAZG 12/11/13 11:59PM EST 30% off most accessories -Extended! THANKS 12/11/13 11:59PM EST

Kindly post when it's used so I can edit edit.

Just used it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The Moto X sale is active again, just registered...

http://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all/motorola-shop-all-sale.html

• Locked thread