Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

I actually had no idea that Farscape was an Australian production. Huh.
I believe it was more an American/Australian co-production. It was filmed in Australia, though.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Good, but kinda dull and in a foreign language.

Opera is like J-Pop for theater nerds. They can't understand the lyrics, the music is outdated and nobody they talk to gives a poo poo about it, but at least its not *ugh* top 40s pop Broadway.

Opera is often subtitled these days (or overtitled, since they project them above the stage), but there are the opera equivalent of weeaboos who throw hissy-fits over this desecration of their precious popular theater.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Tupping Liberty posted:

If I were to make a thread for The Sing Off would anyone post in in besides me? Before I go into the effort of making something decent...

Post it in the singthread. I'll copy your post into the OP. There's already some hype in there for TSO.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Opera is often subtitled these days (or overtitled, since they project them above the stage), but there are the opera equivalent of weeaboos who throw hissy-fits over this desecration of their precious popular theater.

Yeah, back in high school, we had a field trip to see the Barber of Seville, with projected subtitles... it was honestly pretty great and accessible.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

And honestly, there's no excuse for anyone to not go see Carmen. You already know half the songs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lycus posted:

I believe it was more an American/Australian co-production. It was filmed in Australia, though.

I think the first few seasons were strictly aussie funded, and the end/miniseries were dual funded.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kaizoku posted:

I think the first few seasons were strictly aussie funded, and the end/miniseries were dual funded.
I decided to watch the pilot again and the production companies are Hallmark (American), Nine Network (Australian) and, of course, the Jim Henson Company.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kraps posted:

What's Farscape?

It's an awesome show, you should watch it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just watched the pilot of Farscape the other day. Pretty charming, all things considered, just plunges you into this strange universe with minimal exposition. I like Aeryn (that's her name, right?) already, seems like a badass who got hosed by her douchey boss. :smith:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Spatula City posted:

I just watched the pilot of Farscape the other day. Pretty charming, all things considered, just plunges you into this strange universe with minimal exposition. I like Aeryn (that's her name, right?) already, seems like a badass who got hosed by her douchey boss. :smith:

Yeah, that's her name and her character gets a ton of development and focus throughout the show's run.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pinwiz11 posted:

And honestly, there's no excuse for anyone to not go see Carmen. You already know half the songs.

You can say the same thing about The Nutcracker and it wouldn't make that show any less boring. Here's the thing about opera, ballet and classical symphonies: we're all familiar with them because they're associated with things we like (Big Bird, Natalie Portman and Looney Tunes, respectively). Remove that association and all that's left are things we don't really enjoy on their own. I know opera tends to get a pass because its 'sophisticated,' but think of it this way: you don't like Polka even though Weird Al has produced a hundred awesome polka mash-ups, so why do you think other people would enjoy Carmen just because it was on Sesame Street 30 years ago?

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 9, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Spatula City posted:

What I like about Aeryn at the start was it's not like she defected because she morally disagreed with her militarist government or anything. She completely loved being a Peacekeeper, but they'll kill her if she goes back, so she's staying with these fugitives is pure survival.

Are you watching on Netflix? Because they have some stuff in a weird order, probably because of production codes or such. "I, E.T" feels weird, particularly how the characters behave, if you don't watch it right after the Premiere. The rest of Season 1 seems okay. The first episode of Season 2 you should watch is "Mind the Baby". "Dream a Little Dream" should instead be watched sometime later in season. I haven't noticed anything else.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 9, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

You can say the same thing about The Nutcracker and it wouldn't make that show any less boring. Here's the thing about opera, ballet and classical symphonies: we're all familiar with them because they're associated with things we like (Big Bird, Natalie Portman and Looney Tunes, respectively). Remove that association and all that's left are things we don't really enjoy on their own. I know opera tends to get a pass because its 'sophisticated,' but think of it this way: you don't like Polka even though Weird Al has produced a hundred awesome polka mash-ups, so why do you think other people would enjoy Carmen just because it was on Sesame Street 30 years ago?

I think you're trying to say that one Bugs Bunny cartoon resembles The Barber of Seville in the slightest and that's why anyone would care to see the actual opera, but I hope that's not what you're trying to say because that's too stupid even for a post from you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I think you're trying to say that one Bugs Bunny cartoon resembles The Barber of Seville in the slightest and that's why anyone would care to see the actual opera, but I hope that's not what you're trying to say because that's too stupid even for a post from you.

It's Irish Joe.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are the children on The Good Wife about to become as grating as I expect them to be?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The son is pretty good. The daughter does a weird religious thing for a while.

The Good Wife is a really enjoyable show overall. You can look forward to Alan Cumming joining the cast. And they have like every other gangster from The Sopranos playing judges and it's great.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 9, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

you don't like Polka even though

I don't? You can go straight to hell, good sir.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Post it in the singthread. I'll copy your post into the OP. There's already some hype in there for TSO.

That is a generous offer but I think I will just stick to posting in that thread. Glad there's a place to talk about it!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Farscape was Doctor Who before Doctor Who came back. It had that same vibe of a fundamentally *weird* universe that's always more strange and fantastic than you can imagine, only instead of a brilliant eccentric alien our hero is a normal guy who is driven insane.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
On a whim, my friend and I just watched the first four episodes of Orange is the New Black. Despite my incredible disdain for Jenji Kohan this show is pretty good. Not amazing, but great casting/performances/production really help take it up a notch. The only moment I found a little eye rolling was the screwdriver incident seemed so obvious. It reminds me a bit like Breaking Bad in that if it weren't for the spots of humour this would be an incredibly dark show.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Farscape really does make me wish they'd been able to transplant the entire cast of it into the Green Lantern movie a few years ago.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Irish Joe posted:

I wasn't gonna take the bait but if you're gonna pretend that my giant music boner for Mahler and Tchaikovsky is because of nostalgia, you're high as poo poo. If you don't like classical/orchestral music that's fine I guess but it's not because the music isn't powerful on its own.

You're probably just loving with us anyway, so whatever.

Anyway, I watched the pilot of American Horror Story a few days ago. It was pretty great. Looking forward to seeing where the craziness goes from there. I also liked the pitch-black humor, like the image of Dylan McDermott jacking it while sobbing uncontrollably.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

CaptainHollywood posted:

On a whim, my friend and I just watched the first four episodes of Orange is the New Black. Despite my incredible disdain for Jenji Kohan this show is pretty good. Not amazing, but great casting/performances/production really help take it up a notch. The only moment I found a little eye rolling was the screwdriver incident seemed so obvious. It reminds me a bit like Breaking Bad in that if it weren't for the spots of humour this would be an incredibly dark show.

I really love this show, it's really been a great watch between me and my girlfriend. It does the "black comedy" really well, I just hope it's not going to jump the shark because it's going in that direction.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Farscape really does make me wish they'd been able to transplant the entire cast of it into the Green Lantern movie a few years ago.

Farscape makes me wish a Wonder Woman movie had been made fifteen years ago. Maybe Claudia Black could show up on Arrow as Hippolyta for no real reason. Ben Browder was already in an episode.

The Green Lantern movie just makes me wish there had been a completely different Green Lantern movie.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I am finally getting around to watching Fringe and just watched the Peter episode. That was amazing, and I am glad I was not watching as it aired. It must have been brutal seeing an outstanding episode like that then wondering if the show would get another season, much less a chance to wrap up all the plot lines. Long live streaming binges!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey so uh telltale games announced yesterday night on the VGX awards that they're doing a season of an officially licensed made-in-conjunction-with-HBO Game of Thrones adventure game.

So, um, yeah. Are telltale games reaching a point wherein we could feasibly discuss them in TVIV? Like, they have seasons of "shows" and each season has a distinct set of episodes attempting to tell a larger narrative within those seasons. They even seem to have showrunner-adjuncts that can determine creative direction of each season as it "airs". If this is the new path telltale is attempting to carve in cross-media creations I think a TVIV thread on the latest season of whatever "showgame" (for lack of a better word) could have tremendous value

And it's not like those threads could be any worse than the current got and TWD threads...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Occupation posted:

Hey so uh telltale games announced yesterday night on the VGX awards that they're doing a season of an officially licensed made-in-conjunction-with-HBO Game of Thrones adventure game.

So, um, yeah. Are telltale games reaching a point wherein we could feasibly discuss them in TVIV? Like, they have seasons of "shows" and each season has a distinct set of episodes attempting to tell a larger narrative within those seasons. They even seem to have showrunner-adjuncts that can determine creative direction of each season as it "airs". If this is the new path telltale is attempting to carve in cross-media creations I think a TVIV thread on the latest season of whatever "showgame" (for lack of a better word) could have tremendous value

And it's not like those threads could be any worse than the current got and TWD threads...

Why... not just go to the relevant threads in Games?

grrarg posted:

I am finally getting around to watching Fringe and just watched the Peter episode. That was amazing, and I am glad I was not watching as it aired. It must have been brutal seeing an outstanding episode like that then wondering if the show would get another season, much less a chance to wrap up all the plot lines. Long live streaming binges!

The show gets so great from that point out. You have some especially good episodes just ahead.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 9, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
What the gently caress is a telltale game?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

Telltale is a company that makes episodic adventure games. For the most part they've made some fair-to-middling games and inexplicably managed to make game sequels to Back to the Future and Jurassic Park that were kind of poo poo, but last year they made a game based on The Walking Dead that was great and had a ton of crossover appeal. Right now they're making a game based on a comic book about fairy tales that's a reactionary nutjob's metaphor for the Irael-Palestine conflict, and they just announced that they're making a Game of Thrones game.

I liked their The Walking Dead game a lot more than the TV show, but making TVIV threads for Telltale games is like making Book Barn threads about videogame manuals or making a CineD thread for the cutscenes in Final Fantasy XIII.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Do you just not want to talk to the people in Games or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lycus posted:

Do you just not want to talk to the people in Games or something?

Have you been to Games? Actually, it's not much worse than here :)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Slamhound posted:

They made a Walking Dead game a while ago that was excellent and really just plays like a movie that you have imput on. If you have any love for the TV show or comic series definitely check it out. It's some top grade poo poo.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I realize that NOBODY is going to miss Low Winter Sun but this sarcastic exchange about the show's fate by a pair of internet posters in the comments section of an AV Club article announcing it's demise made me chuckle nonetheless...

uselessbeauty posted:

This is the defining moment for us, the Low Winter Sun generation. In years to come our children will ask us where we were when Low Winter Sun was cancelled.

Battlecar Compactica posted:

I was on the sixth floor of the Book Depository, drawing a bead on President Kennedy, when I heard my phone go off (I have my phone set to play "Blurred Lines" when I get an A.V. Club notification--don't judge me). Anyway, I put down the rifle and fish my phone out of my pocket and see that Low Winter Sun's been cancelled. So I say, "I got a Low Winter Sun notification for--" but before I can finish I hear gunfire from the direction of the grassy knoll and realize that I've been set up by my co-conspirators.

So I book down the stairs to the break room to have a Coke and figure out what to do next. I figure my only shot is to create a diversion, so I install some substandard O-rings on the Challenger and hightail it north to get out of the country while everyone's looking the other way. I manage to get a flight from Newark to San Francisco, with a further connection to Caracas, but as soon as we get in the air these al Qaeda nutcases try to hijack the flight. Fortunately Mark Wahlberg's there and the two of us show those assholes what's what.

Long story short (I know, I know--too late) I get to SF, then to Caracas, then find out that a buddy of mine has a job for me in Paris. So a couple days later I'm down in some tunnel in Paris spreading oil slick all over the roadway while some British commandos dressed as paparazzi are chasing Princess Di in my direction. Piece of cake, I get $10 million and a clean record, and it's back to the United States.

And then, wouldn't you know it, the loving "unsinkable" ship I'm on hits an iceberg in the North Atlantic, and that's how I buy it. What the gently caress?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thexerox123 posted:

Because I'd rather not wade through a bunch of black bars and would rather discuss its cinematic strengths and weaknesses over its gameplay strengths and weaknesses

The games thread is too obsessed with the idea of player choice over the discussion of quality of the story told, or the acting/cinematography/pacing, which makes sense considering the subforum but isn't what I look to in the telltale game.

Also: why not? We have a got spoiler thread and TWD spoiler thread despite there being perfectly serviceable threads in TBB and BSS, respectively. We can have a topic discussed in multiple subforums simultaneously especially if they come from different perspectives. For example, my telltale games thread(s) (since I'm obviously asking for permission to make one) would be more focused on analysis and discussion of story quality over modularity of its plot. I would also like to have a place to discuss what telltale is doing and have a debate over what exactly they're making, because they're not exactly games but still clearly not tv shows.

I just think that since there's no limit on space for threads being able to have threads about "showgames" would be valuable, especially since next year it's gonna be directly relevant and applicable to the most popular thread on this forum.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 9, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ufarn posted:

Are the children on The Good Wife about to become as grating as I expect them to be?

Like a cheesegrater on your bellend.

thexerox123 posted:

Because Games is a cancerous shithole?

I'm not saying he's right, but I can fully understand the lack of faith in being able to engage in even the most superficially interesting debate about the story there.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Occupation posted:

The games thread is too obsessed with the idea of player choice over the discussion of quality of the story told, or the acting/cinematography/pacing, which makes sense considering the subforum but isn't what I look to in the telltale game.

That same obsession pops up when people discuss TWD in TVIV too though, and all the other subforums here where the game gets mentioned.

There actually are a lot of really good posts about it in Games. Its just a lot more popular subforum so they're not easy to specifically find with all the normal discussion going on around it.

I bet the discussion ratio would probably end up about same here. Take the TWD show thread for example... its not as bad as it use to be, but it's still pretty hard to find posts engaging things like imagery or symbolism (even the blunt stuff) compared to all the normal or low engagement or whatever posts it gets buried under. Not that those watercooler discussions are inherently bad or without value, there's just a lot more of it than reflective posts and there probably always will be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, sorry. The last thing we want around here is more Game of Thrones and Walking Dead threads. I understand not wanting to go to the Games subforum but that's where it belongs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kraps posted:

What's Farscape?

My favorite sci-fi show.

I'll knife fight anyone who says differently.

Lycus posted:

Thinking of that quote from Warren Ellis about the show: that's its the story of an American through Australia's bondage scene.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Shageletic posted:

Thinking of that quote from Warren Ellis about the show: that's its the story of an American through Australia's bondage scene.

That also explains Crichton's leather pants... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Shageletic posted:

My favorite sci-fi show.

I'll knife fight anyone who says differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY_bF-UnpOg

• Locked thread