Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just finished first half and it's not terrible. Feels like we're starting on episode 2 though.

Edit: Oh hey a thread for this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577512

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Scooby Doo Camp Scare ended with him driving the mystery machine through a building trying to kill the monster and tackling a fat kid. Neat.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I forgot to talk about this when it happened because it's the Teen Nick '90s block and we've forgotten about it in the same way Nickelodeon has, but last week they showed the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers during their usual time slot. I almost forgot that they now have the rights to the Power Rangers franchise.

Also Deadspin's Drew Magary has taken his long dormant "Why Your Children's Television Program Sucks" column out of retirement to review Jessie on the Disney Channel. Worth a read. I didn't know that they had an adopted kid from India take a komodo dragon to their ultra-rich New York apartment, which makes no sense because they're native to Indonesia.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Since you mentioned the 90s, I just noticed channel surfing yesterday that Disney XD shows Digimon reruns. They are not in block form and it's just one episode a day. I don't know how long they've been doing this, but I know it makes me mad, because now I want to watch loving Digimon of all things and I know, deep down, that I'm going to end up watching episodes on Youtube in marathon sessions because I have no self-control (or taste, apparently).

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Netflix has the first two seasons of Digimon Adventure both subbed and dubbed. Hulu has just the first season. Or maybe it's the other way around, but I think I'm right.

I just finished a binge of seasons 1 and 2, and it wasn't bad. It's interesting to watch it because it came out at a time when anime was so cut for young audiences that things could really change. A character would "die", but the music and character's reactions would seem like they did. Also, watch the occasional episode of the Japanese subbed version after you watch the episode in English. It's cool to see the differences sometimes. And I will admit, there was the occasional line that got a laugh out of me.

That show tackled some issues. It had adoption, divorce, sibling death. Digimon died, yo. Though, really they would be reborn later.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

El Tortuga posted:

Netflix has the first two seasons of Digimon Adventure both subbed and dubbed. Hulu has just the first season. Or maybe it's the other way around, but I think I'm right.

I just finished a binge of seasons 1 and 2, and it wasn't bad. It's interesting to watch it because it came out at a time when anime was so cut for young audiences that things could really change. A character would "die", but the music and character's reactions would seem like they did. Also, watch the occasional episode of the Japanese subbed version after you watch the episode in English.

Like this one, which is probably the most I have ever watched of that show. I remember at the time that it managed to be even more unwatchable than Pokemon and Monster Rancher. Of course I was like 18 when all those shows started polluting the airwaves, I might have remembered them more fondly if I was a kid at the time.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

El Tortuga posted:

I just finished a binge of seasons 1 and 2, and it wasn't bad. It's interesting to watch it because it came out at a time when anime was so cut for young audiences that things could really change. A character would "die", but the music and character's reactions would seem like they did. Also, watch the occasional episode of the Japanese subbed version after you watch the episode in English. It's cool to see the differences sometimes. And I will admit, there was the occasional line that got a laugh out of me.

That show tackled some issues. It had adoption, divorce, sibling death. Digimon died, yo. Though, really they would be reborn later.

Season 3 is still my all time favorite. Chiaki J Konaka did an amazing job balancing between seriousness and light hearted kids show. Also, it's one of the few seasons where death was permanent. It should be up on Hulu!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

It's interesting to watch it because it came out at a time when anime was so cut for young audiences that things could really change. A character would "die", but the music and character's reactions would seem like they did. Also, watch the occasional episode of the Japanese subbed version after you watch the episode in English. It's cool to see the differences sometimes.

If you really want to experience cognitive dissonance, hunt down the episode where the littlest boy gets kidnapped by Pinocchio. The English version is a silly-hearted, incomprehensible mess. The Japanese version has Pinocchio pull a .44 Magnum out of a toy box and he spends the episode killing his henchmen with it, and only spares the kid because the kid talks him down while he reloads.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Pizza Steve has to be the best character on Uncle Grandpa.

Edit:

He knows the president.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 20, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Phineas and Ferb did a steampunk episode. Wrap it up, folks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Phineas and Ferb did a steampunk episode. Wrap it up, folks.

It took them this long? I haven't watched that show in a while, but they've got a bunch of episodes now, and in every single one they're making fantastic inventions, right? Seems like it just would've already happened by now...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never thought Phineas and Ferb would have a cameo from Professor Elemental of all people.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

thelaughingman posted:

Pizza Steve has to be the best character on Uncle Grandpa.

Edit:

He knows the president.

Pizza Steve is the best character on any cartoon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hahaha Wander Over Yonder did an episode where a troll is defeated by ignoring him. Wander straight up says "Don't feed the trolls"

Wander Over Yonder is good stuff y'all

edit: Also Lord Hater is hilarious

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 28, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday's episode of Gumball was so god damned weird. Overall this season has been really good. There have been a few episodes where they seem to be trying to hard but overall this seaosn has jus been filled with crazy strange episodes.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I've been thoroughly enjoying Wander Over Yonder. Huell Howser vs. Intergalactic Fascism would be an irresistible concept for a kids' show even without the Alien pastiches and the bad guy with a taste for mid-'70s pinball-machine style architecture in his spacehip.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TwoPair posted:

It took them this long? I haven't watched that show in a while, but they've got a bunch of episodes now, and in every single one they're making fantastic inventions, right? Seems like it just would've already happened by now...
It's one of those episodes that take place in the past- 1903, to be exact. Also, Perry is Sweary the Swan.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Macaluso posted:

Hahaha Wander Over Yonder did an episode where a troll is defeated by ignoring him. Wander straight up says "Don't feed the trolls"

Wander Over Yonder is good stuff y'all

edit: Also Lord Hater is hilarious

My 2-year-old now says "Don't feed the troll!" thanks to Wander. I absolutely adore that show and wish it got more love here on the forums.

Lord Hater number one superstar!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Oh, the latest "Wander Over Yonder" said exactly what I wanted to say to all the "We've taught you an important cosmic lesson" crap you see all the time. Nothing like driving the nicest guy in the universe crazy just for shits and giggles. Now you've pissed off the znorlax. Have fun!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm trying to remember this really bad CGI cartoon that I think aired in the early 2000s. It was about these obnoxious "surfer dude" aliens who lived on Earth with these two kids or something? Anybody know? Google has failed me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Farecoal posted:

I'm trying to remember this really bad CGI cartoon that I think aired in the early 2000s. It was about these obnoxious "surfer dude" aliens who lived on Earth with these two kids or something? Anybody know? Google has failed me.

I believe you're thinking of (the rather aptly named) Butt-Ugly Martians

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
That Rayman Raving Rabbids show is pretty funny.

Farecoal posted:

Butt Ugly Martians? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt-Ugly_Martians

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Macaluso posted:

I believe you're thinking of (the rather aptly named) Butt-Ugly Martians

I don't know if I should thank you or hate you forever (thanks)

Oh god

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

At least Jimmy Neutron came around and actually looked pretty good for a CG tv show and quickly made everyone forget about Butt-Ugly Martians. That show wasn't amazing or anything but compared to all the other CG shows that had been on TV before I think it looked great.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

That's because it was created with a film budget and then they just reused the assets

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Even then, those character designs were absolutely hideous regardless of budget or medium.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Macaluso posted:

At least Jimmy Neutron came around and actually looked pretty good for a CG tv show and quickly made everyone forget about Butt-Ugly Martians. That show wasn't amazing or anything but compared to all the other CG shows that had been on TV before I think it looked great.
God I remember loving Jimmy Neutron as a kid, I do like how their version of James Bond was Christian Slater :lol: Plus it had Tim Curry as an evil mad scientist!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Holy poo poo, that shrug is unbelievable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BUM (Christ) used to annoy the poo poo out of me as a kid. I only watched it because it came on a half an hour before Zim. That was a very painful half hour.

They were just a lovely version of the Ninja Turtles. And that theme song was just the loving worst.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

CelticPredator posted:

And that theme song was just the loving worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI1z9I9WN_A

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The early 00s was a graveyard when it came to animation. It was all anime and poo poo like Butt Ugly Martians and Super Super Sumos and Mucha Lucha.

Speaking of, I've been re-watching Justice League and it holds up a lot better than I remembered. I don't read comics so I'm not familiar with the characters and plots it used, but it went full batshit like Solomon Grundy punching his way through Cthulhu's brain even before the Unlimited days. My only real complaint is that I don't understand why they did a half-hour format when almost every episode was a two-parter.

Unlimited was just a whole other level entirely, though. Considering that it was before serialized storytelling was commonplace on television, let alone in cartoons, the way that the entire season had self-contained episodes that built up to Lex confronting the Justice League was incredible. Even better, Amanda Waller's complaints were completely justified and they did a good job addressing that without making her into an actual villain.

I've also been watching through Teen Titans and I kind of want to give Bruce Timm a high-five for managing to adapt to the peak of the anime craze without being too insufferable. The episode in season 4 where Raven finds out that she's doomed to be the end of the world was rapey as poo poo though, the last 5 minutes are just one giant :stare: when Slade beats her into submission and tears her clothes off.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The early 00s was a graveyard when it came to animation. It was all anime and poo poo like Butt Ugly Martians and Super Super Sumos and Mucha Lucha.

Speaking of, I've been re-watching Justice League and it holds up a lot better than I remembered. I don't read comics so I'm not familiar with the characters and plots it used, but it went full batshit like Solomon Grundy punching his way through Cthulhu's brain even before the Unlimited days. My only real complaint is that I don't understand why they did a half-hour format when almost every episode was a two-parter.

I don't think there's ever been a cartoon with the hour-long format.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Farecoal posted:

Justice League

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Farecoal posted:

The 'New Scooby-Doo Movies' back from the 70s was an hour format show.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CelticPredator posted:

BUM (Christ) used to annoy the poo poo out of me as a kid. I only watched it because it came on a half an hour before Zim. That was a very painful half hour.

They were just a lovely version of the Ninja Turtles. And that theme song was just the loving worst.

Back then they were airing a lot of no-effort cartoons. They all aired in the afternoon on weekends and it felt like they were kind of dumped there. Like, I remembered when they started airing Spongebob, the Fairly Oddparents and so on, because they promoted those. These? They just...appeared. And then they'd disappear, thankfully. Because they were awful.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

These? They just...appeared. And then they'd disappear, thankfully. Because they were awful.

And then sometimes they came back!

I've always been curious about the super-poo poo-tier anime that Cartoon Network would air at 6am just to see what stuck. Bedamon and Bakugan and Beyblade and there were more that didn't succeed and it was just really loving weird to me. Obviously trying to catch the magic of Pokemon but without promoting it as far as I could tell. Just put these things on in the wee hours of the morning and uhhh it happened?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Sockser posted:

I've always been curious about the super-poo poo-tier anime that Cartoon Network would air at 6am just to see what stuck. Bedamon and Bakugan and Beyblade and there were more that didn't succeed and it was just really loving weird to me. Obviously trying to catch the magic of Pokemon but without promoting it as far as I could tell. Just put these things on in the wee hours of the morning and uhhh it happened?

For a while my wife had work super-early and when I got back from taking her I would always check out those same lovely animes. None of them made any sense and the only real differences was whatever the show's signature collectable was. The one I remember most was Bakugan and, even after the surprising amount of episodes I saw, that I had no loving clue how that game was supposed to work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Unlimited was just a whole other level entirely, though. Considering that it was before serialized storytelling was commonplace on television, let alone in cartoons, the way that the entire season had self-contained episodes that built up to Lex confronting the Justice League was incredible. Even better, Amanda Waller's complaints were completely justified and they did a good job addressing that without making her into an actual villain.

I've also been watching through Teen Titans and I kind of want to give Bruce Timm a high-five for managing to adapt to the peak of the anime craze without being too insufferable. The episode in season 4 where Raven finds out that she's doomed to be the end of the world was rapey as poo poo though, the last 5 minutes are just one giant :stare: when Slade beats her into submission and tears her clothes off.

JL did the hour-long thing primarily because it wanted to be more cinematic, I believe. They probably would have shown the shows in full hours but the network wouldn't like it, because execs don't like one extra-long show breaking the format of half-hour shows in a night (Also makes it harder to schedule reruns). But it does give the producers more time to make a backlog of episodes. Additionally, the longer episodes are probably due in part to the fact that they were serving to lay the last bit of groundwork for Unlimited.

JLU is the ultimate synthesis of the DCAU, bringing back characters from as far back as Clock King from B:TAS and plotlines like Superman being brainwashed by Darkseid at the end of S:TAS, and JL leaves the last little bits like Hawkgirl's betrayal and the Justice Lords story to serve the purposes of the Cadmus storyarc. JLU probably wouldn't have been able to do all the done-in-one serialized stories they did without Justice League Unlimited serving to put all the pieces on the board for them.

Also, while Bruce Timm was a producer, most (if not all) of the credit for Teen Titans has to go to Glen Murakami. I really think his decision to not give the Titans any sort of civilian identity was pretty great:

Glen Murakami posted:

It was really important to me that little kids watching it could identify with characters. And I thought that the minute you start giving them secret identities then kids couldn’t project themselves onto the characters anymore. And that was important to me. I know it’s kind of important to have secret identities and stuff like that but we wanted everything to be really, really, iconic. Like, "Oh, there’s the robot guy. There’s the alien girl. There’s the witch girl. There’s the shape-changing boy." There's the we [sic] just wanted it really clean like that. We wanted it like old Star Trek. We just wanted it simple...

...And the whole "Who’s Robin?" controversy is really kind of interesting to me. My big concern is just trying to make Robin cool. And just really set Robin apart from Batman. So if it seems like I’m avoiding the question, I sort of am. Because I don’t think it’s really important. My concern is how do I make Robin a really strong lead character without all that other stuff. And I feel that way about all the characters. How can I keep all the characters really iconic and really clean."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I find weird about this is that they're called "Butt Ugly" when frankly all the characters are hideous so how could you tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Sockser posted:

I actually liked Bedaman back then. It had a whole story arc where the main cast, dirty poor and roaming the streets, had to scam a rich girl for food. It got retooled as a boring as gently caress Beyblade wannabe. Hell, Beyblade got retooled too.