Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Say Nothing posted:

Davey Boy Smith started out looking like this...

You don't get to this size from that without some serious steroid abuse.

Can we get comparisons photos of Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio? Because those guys went from small as hell in ECW to roid monsters in WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Davros1 posted:

Can we get comparisons photos of Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio? Because those guys went from small as hell in ECW to roid monsters in WWE.

To be fair, Eddie looked like loving BANE in Japan too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I know its old news, but I thought that was Cena before I enlarged the image.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Nope, that's The Gobbledy Gooker.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So a while ago, in another thread, there was a lot of discussion about Hogan contradicting himself with his past. One of the things tossed around was how he was "discovered", and I remembered reading about it in a book I had as a kid, which I've found:

The book is mostly a collection of very brief bios, as well as some stories on history, and terminology. I got it as a kid in 1987 at my school's twice-a-year book fair.

Cover

Hulk Hogan's Bio

Summary:
1. It omits Matsuda breaking Hogan's leg!
2. Hogan has no interest in acting.
3. Being the Hulkster is hard!
4. If only science could clone more Hulksters!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Davros1 posted:

Rey was actually bigger and more cut in WCW, I think he started using roids or something similar to that before or during his WCW career, way before he got to WWE. Since then he's progressively gotten less muscular with age, to the point that people snicker and chuckle when they still bill him at "175"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

This is my favorite thing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Rey got noticeably bigger in WWE compared to the WCW days.

WCW

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

I want to be a six year old living in 1986 forever.

"He reportedly makes two and a half million dollars a year! That's more than anyone in professional sports teams like baseball, football or basketball makes, and the career of a pro wrestler is longer."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In Hogan's case it's actually true. He'll be loving around somewhere or another until he dies.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Supreme Allah posted:

I want to be a six year old living in 1986 forever.

"He reportedly makes two and a half million dollars a year! That's more than anyone in professional sports teams like baseball, football or basketball makes, and the career of a pro wrestler is longer."

Not that extravagant a claim actually. Average salary in the NFL in 1986 was around $200k. Average NBA salary was $370k (Magic Johnson was tops at $2.5m). I couldn't find salaries for 1986 MLB but in 1989 it was slightly under $519k. Salaries really didn't start to rise until unrestricted free agency became the norm.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrBling posted:

WCW

Yeah he was about a foot wider than that in his first WWE run. What weight was he billed at during his WCW days? I think he was 175 for most of his time in the 'E, not sure what he's billed at today.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Cactus Jack posted:

Not that extravagant a claim actually. Average salary in the NFL in 1986 was around $200k. Average NBA salary was $370k (Magic Johnson was tops at $2.5m). I couldn't find salaries for 1986 MLB but in 1989 it was slightly under $519k. Salaries really didn't start to rise until unrestricted free agency became the norm.

Makes the amount of money that players squabbled with owners and GMs about in Ball Four very funny in retrospect.

Pakelika
May 13, 2005

Work It! Thats Right! Awwww Yeah!
Edit: Wrong Thread.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cactus Jack posted:

The highest paid wrestlers were usually among the top paid athletes until the 90s, so yeah it is likely true.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

But that's the same physique, just on an older man, with photography that better captures his physique (and is better in general).

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wazzu posted:

But that's the same physique, just on an older man, with photography that better captures his physique (and is better in general).

Haha what?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that first picture was a much smaller Eddie, early in his WCW run. now let's look at him near the end:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Paulocaust posted:

Haha what?

... Latinos get more muscular as they age?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Paulocaust posted:

Haha what?

Do you actually think they're that different? The first pose is almost perfect for hiding how huge he is, and apart from the veins showing, he looks pretty much the same.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Wazzu posted:

Do you actually think they're that different? The first pose is almost perfect for hiding how huge he is, and apart from the veins showing, he looks pretty much the same.

Look at his traps. Just look at them.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wazzu posted:

traps.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

speaking of traps, what's with hulk hogan and macho man's weak trap game? was that just a thing back then?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
BIG ED

BIG TRAPS

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrBling posted:

WCW

WWE.

He gotta hell of a lot of new ink done as well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We know Eddie was on the gas. It's what killed him, isn't it? Destroyed his heart?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

We know Eddie was on the gas. It's what killed him, isn't it? Destroyed his heart?
When you combine steroids with booze and recreational drugs, it's a killer for sure.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Steroids, HGH and his vast and sordid history of booze and drugs. He had gotten off of the latter, but the damage was done.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

He also had an unchecked pre-existing heart condition, I think. But 10 gets you 20 the steroids hurried up the negative effects of said condition.

Also, Eddie was one of the names in the Signature bust. And even if he wasn't, he is WAY more jacked in the newer "Es Rudo!" pics than the old "Shinny, Happy" Eddie.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

The Voice owns

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Cactus Jack posted:

I didn't think it was a lie, I was just musing how salaries in professional sports exploded since I was a kid.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There are some amazing photos on the NXT Tumblr.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

Steroids, HGH and his vast and sordid history of booze and drugs. He had gotten off of the latter, but the damage was done.
I recall the Warlord saying that the reason he's still alive today is that he never got into the painkillers or recreational stuff, and he was roidy as hell.
6'5", 320lbs!

Even modern-era guys like Lesnar and Batista were freaking enormous before Vince got more serious with his drug testing. Heck, they were still huge even with the testing, just slightly more human-looking.

Lesnar vs. Dave 'Leviathan' Batista OVW, dianabol on a pole match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeCiKuKyHI

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Say Nothing posted:

I recall the Warlord saying that the reason he's still alive today is that he never got into the painkillers or recreational stuff, and he was roidy as hell.
6'5", 320lbs!

Even modern-era guys like Lesnar and Batista were freaking enormous before Vince got more serious with his drug testing. Heck, they were still huge even with the testing, just slightly more human-looking.

Lesnar vs. Dave 'Leviathan' Batista OVW, dianabol on a pole match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeCiKuKyHI

If you compare Lesnar in his UFC run to when he walked out to his match with CM Punk I don't think you can use "serious with his drug testing" with a straight face.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You're probably right, but he had to be able to cut to 265 in UFC.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Memento posted:

Yeah he was about a foot wider than that in his first WWE run. What weight was he billed at during his WCW days? I think he was 175 for most of his time in the 'E, not sure what he's billed at today.

I think they billed him at 140 at least initially in WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Say Nothing posted:

WWE.

He gotta hell of a lot of new ink done as well.

Pre-WWE sans mask

Looks pretty big to me, compared to that first WCW promo shot

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 9, 2013