Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Kyrosiris posted:

There's also steel drums. I think I'm going to miss those most of all when the reset happens.

Edit: Also an oboe.

There's steel drums in this game? I barely figured out torches. I guess I have something to strive for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

There's also steel drums. I think I'm going to miss those most of all when the reset happens.

Edit: Also an oboe.

What other kinds of percussion is there? That seems to be the most lacking instrument category.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I found a "rock organ".

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, me too, I'm in the same boat. I think that's the only thing I'd like to keep from reset to reset: all my kickin' rad cool instrument collection that I've slowly been gathering. I've only got 4, sure, but, hey.

I don't even care about my sweet Scout's Armor or Diamond Pickaxe, I still want to be able to bust out an amazing jam with my Lead Guitar as soon the new patch gets in!

Man, it's small things like this that makes a game great.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What other kinds of percussion is there? That seems to be the most lacking instrument category.

You can grab a set of placeable drums from Avians. There are three sizes so you could maybe use it for some music. No .abc support that I know of, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This game desperately needs display stands, so I can make my spaceship look like a musician's garage. Or maybe so I can show off my weapon collect, I guess.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

I've found three different sizes of leather bongos near a merchant. They just make noise when you tap them though

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

pwnyXpress posted:

Surely you're kidding? I found a harmonica, violin, keytar, clarinet, saxaphone, electric lead guitar, and I know there are plenty of others like the microphone, classical guitar, trumpet, pan flute, and probably more. What do you need to be satisfied, a full symphony? Somebody mod this goon a set of wind chimes and some timpani.

You joke about the timpani, but:

Steel Drums(which sound incredible) and a regular "Drum", I'm not sure how to describe the way the latter sounds.

Motherfucker posted:

they exist.
There's even a music box.

The musicbox is now the blue Keytar, there don't appear to be bagpipes, but there is an accordion.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
My friend and I made a video to try and recruit our other friends, but we both accidently had the same part of the song we played so it doesn't sound that good. I'll have to spend some time getting a decent pack of multi-part ABC songs at some point. Meat Stage + Pantera. Starbound is loving metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvHKkJYmDXM

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lohli posted:

You joke about the timpani, but:

:stare:

Please tell me there is a bassoon and my life will be complete.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
There's working bongos of different sizes too, you can see em in my video. If you wanna see all the instruments in the game right now, go to assets/items/instruments.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

pwnyXpress posted:

Surely you're kidding? I found a harmonica, violin, keytar, clarinet, saxaphone, electric lead guitar, and I know there are plenty of others like the microphone, classical guitar, trumpet, pan flute, and probably more. What do you need to be satisfied, a full symphony? Somebody mod this goon a set of wind chimes and some timpani.

Remember that there are also playable cosmetic instruments - Florans have wind chimes and Avians have several sizes of drums.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Avians have two differently toned bling-rear end gold gongs!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

:stare:

Please tell me there is a bassoon and my life will be complete.

There is no bassoon.

Also sorry to disappoint but that is a screencap of a midi file that is open in another program, and not actually a built-in Starbound tool for musicmaking.

But I've been using Anvil Studio for dicking with midi files, mostly for separating tracks to turn into abc files(using easyABC or ABCexplorer, the latter seems to be a much better tool) that I've then been making other people play with me.

With the relative lack of instruments it can be pretty hard to replicate some tracks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There may not be a bassoon but I DID find an oboe.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

How does the game handle multiple instruments for a song? I noticed on the lotro abc site the ones with multiple parts have options for single file and multifile. Does it sync up songs if you are in a band playing from different files? Or if you try a single file does it pick a specific instrument that or just play all the parts at once. If it picks just one, what are the specific instrument names it recognizes?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

lohli posted:

Steel Drums(which sound incredible) and a regular "Drum", I'm not sure how to describe the way the latter sounds.

Considering the regular drum seems to include cowbell and whistle sounds, it would be interesting to see if someone could write their abc notation to leverage that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like putting the bongos on my ship. I couldn't help but hit em a couple times every time I ran by them.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It tries to sync them as if they all have the same start point, so if you start playing late it will just skip ahead to whatever point the band leader is at. By band leader I just mean whoever started playing first.

peepsalot posted:

Or if you try a single file does it pick a specific instrument that or just play all the parts at once. If it picks just one, what are the specific instrument names it recognizes?

Multi-instrument notation is played through in the order it appears in the .abc file, no simultaneous playing of the different "tracks" within a single file, so it's pretty much useless. If you're using a single file then you're limited to the instrument you're holding(it ignores instrument names completely anyway), with it playing the notation through that intsrument. For the midi file in the screenshot I posted you'd actually need it split up into 8 individual tracks in the form of abc files and would need 8 people playing, preferably with different instruments. If you're converting midi files then you can merge or leave out some tracks entirely to cut down on the number of people you need to pull off a performance.

But it would be loving sweet if we could get some endgame orchestra item that lets us play a midi track and morphs into the relevant instrument. That would require a the game have a full midi synthesizer though.

lohli fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 9, 2013

MetalMan
Oct 22, 2004
People always make the coolest poo poo in these types of games. I lived in a goddamn mud hut with my maxed out character.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

I think it would be a good idea for them to implement some kind of navigation panel upgrade you can make that allows you to scan planets in the same planet cluster for various features such as villages, dungeons, air ships, etc. You'd still need actually use fuel and travel to these places in order to scan them, but it would save exploration excursions. Maybe make some features slightly more rare in order to compensate for increased discoverability. I don't think it would take planetary exploration completely out of the game as you'd still need to touch down and actually find these features, and if they're hard enough to find out on the star map you aren't going to be instantly getting all of the things you're looking for and will still have to explore other planets for tech chests, ores, minibosses and such.

Being able to orbit the planet and generate a simple topographical map makes sense, I'd certainly enjoy the ability to cruise around and scan planets.

Edit: I hit up one single Glitch castle (I was upset all the robo-knights wanted to fight me) and got like a full band worth of instruments. Including a xylophone.

Mairn
Jan 6, 2011
I figured I would post this before I lose it forever: I found a cool gun in a chest on an ice planet!

I didn't use it for a while, considering it seemed really terrible statwise, but it was the first gun I ever found so I kept it around.
Eventually I decided to test it out, cause why not.

It shot blocks of ice in a short arc.

Not the most useful thing in the world, but definitely was fun to play around with. Maybe I will find another someday. :allears:

Here are the system co-ordinates: X 59838265, Y 9921789, Alpha Shedar 2540
I don't remember which of the ice planets it was sadly, but it was on the surface of the planet in a chest.

edit: Planet 1 of that system also has a flower backpack not very far to the left of the teleport location, with giant rose-tress which chop in to plant fiber, was a really nice starting planet for bandages.

Mairn fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 9, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of mods, my friend and I just put out the first version of our mod, which we're calling Homesick.

Thought it was kind of lame that you can only build with a very few basic building materials when there's so many blocks in the game. All these beautiful exotic building blocks and you can only get them by ripping up existing dungeons and villages. As a result, all our starting houses were these blank, samey wood-and-stone affairs with very little personality.
Which is why we made this.

Homesick adds over 80 recipes for your character. Building blocks from tech metal and avian glyph bricks to pressurized steel girders and bamboo platforms. Most recipes just use simple starter resources like clay, stone, wood, and sand, but a few of the more high tech options will require metal. Anything that uses metal we've tried to return at a decent ratio so you don't need mountains of the stuff, usually 10 blocks per bar, which is better than the game gives for most things.
We're planning on adding decorative items too, so you can at the least craft varied furniture items right off the bat. Seems silly a Glitch can't build medieval tables and chairs, after all. For now though it's just the blocks.

Hope this works!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On the off chance coordinates still work after the update tomorrow, I'm mentioning my first planet of note.

It has THREE Rainbow furniture schematics. Rainbow Table, Rainbow Chest, and Rainbow Chair. At least two of those were surface chests, I think the third one was also a surface chest that was kind of a blur. But at the very least, two rainbow furniture schematics were on that world, know for a fact the Table was one of em.

A Floran prison with nothing of note.

An Apex lab and Death course with a Pulse Jump tech at the end, I ran that thing legit then dug my way out since the part with the jest was just below the surface. Most of my damage was from bumping my head, so a pulse jump would have probably only gotten me hurt faster if I had it before running the thing.

Haven't even finished the full surface sweep. It is the larger neighbor to that T1 desert world I went to.

Alpha Skaarj Majoris I (Larger planet)
Desert. Threat Level 6.
X -56581717
Y -78267628

The smaller Threat 1 neighbor's details of note is a bigger Floran Prison, encased in bone blocks... Then the bone blocks KEEP GOING FOR HALF THE PLANET :gonk:

EDIT: Also, while the planet starts off with just normal palm trees on the Large T6 world, My Journey to the right between Spawn and the dungeons comes across TONS of Rainbow trees, a billion Neonmelons (I'm waiting for the sun to set to see if they really glow in the dark like described), and the occasional Currentcorn (which look like batteries with carrot tops and describe to be harmful to organics).

It's pretty as hell, and if the coordinate survive the patch I know what I'm setting to my homeworld once I can take on whatever counts as Threat 6 :3:

Cuddlebeak settled down with his best pal, Golden Duck. With all the glow in the dark bubblegum flavored Neonmelon he could ever want.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 9, 2013

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Wait so ARE items/chests shared?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Is there some formula to underground chest distribution? I tend to find them in 'veins', where the chests follow a route and are fairly regular. The rest of my planets are generally totally barren underground lootwise, which can burn you out on digging pretty fast.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I'm enjoying myself so far, but I do hope that increases in ship size (or expandable ships in any case) become A Thing, because I kind of miss building a proper home base to house NPC's/Farm and such. Yeah you can build one on a planet and always hop back there I guess, but that's wasting fuel. Right now there's no real reason to build a fancy house on a surface, where in Terraria it was at least useful for housing NPC's

Tremis
Nov 30, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Speaking of mods, my friend and I just put out the first version of our mod, which we're calling Homesick.

Thought it was kind of lame that you can only build with a very few basic building materials when there's so many blocks in the game. All these beautiful exotic building blocks and you can only get them by ripping up existing dungeons and villages. As a result, all our starting houses were these blank, samey wood-and-stone affairs with very little personality.

Homesick adds over 80 recipes for your character. Building blocks from tech metal and avian glyph bricks to pressurized steel girders and bamboo platforms. Most recipes just use simple starter resources like clay, stone, wood, and sand, but a few of the more high tech options will require metal. Anything that uses metal we've tried to return at a decent ratio so you don't need mountains of the stuff, usually 10 blocks per bar, which is better than the game gives for most things.
We're planning on adding decorative items too, so you can at the least craft varied furniture items right off the bat. Seems silly a Glitch can't build medieval tables and chairs, after all. For now though it's just the blocks.

Hope this works!

Great work! Are you going to add recipes for cosmetic stuff as well?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm illiterate

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Vib Rib posted:

Hope this works!
This looks amazing! I like building my base in creative mode in minecraft before I go out and play hardcore or whatever. Until they add a creative mode toggle, mods like this will do!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man I wish I had any sort of musical talent at all, I've got some great MIDIs I want to get to abc, but the software I've found to re-encode it just doesn't let it sound quite right.

I'll miss my Glitch, and hopefully I can get a hold of double jump and energy dash again, those two are amazing for mobility, I just wish I didn't have to open my inventory to switch between them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I should use my horded bricks to make something amazing before the patch destroys all my progress...

:effort:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DrPaper posted:

Wait so ARE items/chests shared?

Worlds are perfectly one to one, including chests. The only difference is how the creatures spawn and what creatures drop.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Man I wish I had any sort of musical talent at all, I've got some great MIDIs I want to get to abc, but the software I've found to re-encode it just doesn't let it sound quite right.

I'll miss my Glitch, and hopefully I can get a hold of double jump and energy dash again, those two are amazing for mobility, I just wish I didn't have to open my inventory to switch between them.

Here's hoping they fix it so you can equip up to five non conflicting techs at once. maybe add five f1 to f5 hotbar slots so you can toggle on the fly.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 9, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Very cool. Likely too big a scope to be worth it during beta, but would definitely be cool to limit tiles by race, and open some more styles with schematics added to item lists or something. Still, very nice, thanks for sharing.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
That ice gun is amazing. I really didn't do enough exploring. Gonna take it slow the second time around now that I've seen the endgame stuff.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If the wipe is true I'm pretty sad. I'll miss my gigantic water sword that shoots bubbles and clarinet :smith:.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

If the wipe is true I'm pretty sad. I'll miss my gigantic water sword that shoots bubbles and clarinet :smith:.

Why would a wipe announced by the devs, during a beta phase which they stated would have character wipes, not be true?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just don't want it to be true man...

my clarinet :negative:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Varsity posted:

There is a little symbol that isn't Energy or Defense, and usually racial armor gives you bigger bonuses to that third symbol.
Isn't that one Warmth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Isn't that one Warmth?

I think you're 19 pages late. But yes, it's warmth.

• Locked thread