Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

-Blackadder- posted:

I hope he plays a guy who initially teams up with Ollie and then he turns out to be KGBeast.

There's no way they do that twice to the same guy. But it would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Deadpool posted:

Well that was an odd tangent.

To get things back to some kind of decent conversation, if there are any X-Files fans among the show watchers they'll be glad to know that Nicholas Lea has been cast in a recurring role on the show. Krycek is coming to Arrow.

This makes me impossibly happy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was supremely pissed when he was killed off on Continuum so this is pretty awesome.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
If it's who I'm thinking of, I enjoyed his appearance in Supernatural as Eliot Ness. His character (not the actor) frustrated the hell out of me on Continuum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

He might've had abs ten years ago, but now???

I'm not buying it.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Yerp.

Although that looks like a photo from his X-files days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

He might've had abs ten years ago, but now???

I'm not buying it.

The character he's playing doesn't need to be young.

OH poo poo COMICS CHAT.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

OH poo poo COMICS CHAT.

But he'd need abs and delts. This IS Arrow we're talking about. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

But he'd need abs and delts. This IS Arrow we're talking about. :colbert:

He can keep his shirt on until he gets them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

He can keep his shirt on until he gets them.

Maybe the black oil will take care of it for him. :ohdear:

Maybe Mirikuru(miracle) ^-^ is DERIVED from the black oil!!!!
:aaaaa:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 9, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Spergatory posted:

So it sounds like the Flash's powers will be almost as dangerous to him as they are to his enemies, at least in the beginning. I like the sound of that. One, it means we are definitely not getting near-omnipotent!Flash any time soon. And two, it's not really something I've seen before. Movies and shows like this rarely explore the potential downsides of superpowers. It's all fun and games until you accidentally start a housefire with laser-vision. :supaburn:

In the Flash show from the 90s I remember he was constantly eating because of his crazy metabolism (which I guess is a departure from comics? I don't think you're burning carbs with the Speed Force) and IIRC there was an episode or two where his powers were hosed up and causing him issues. I also distinctly remember them showing that he was fast enough to catch a bullet out of the air but it hosed up his hand/palm doing it, and I thought that was a nice touch.

That suit, though. Oh god, the injection-molded muscles... :stonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The speed force didn't show up until 1994. Barry never had to eat to fuel his speed. Prior to the SF Wally had to eat to maintain his super metabolism but when Mark Waid took over he started laying the foundation for the creation of the force and Wally drawing his power form it. That was an aspect they used for Barry in the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Doesn't Ollie has those magic Yao-Fe cure any poison herbs? Why bring in Barry?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Felecity had no idea what he got injected with. It might have been glue for all she knows. Plus she doesn't know what the herbs are good for as Ollie's never really explained.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: This is better than mine.

bunnyofdoom posted:

He pulled out a little pouch of it once (was it for the Vertigo when he was trying to come up with an antidote?), but that may have been all he had left or something? :shrug:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

WarLocke posted:

^^^: This is better than mine.

He pulled out a little pouch of it once (was it for the Vertigo when he was trying to come up with an antidote?), but that may have been all he had left or something? :shrug:

He used them to cure Black Driver of the curae bullets. ERgo, Black Driver should know about them?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

He used them to cure Black Driver of the curae bullets. ERgo, Black Driver should know about them?

He may be aware of them but not enough to properly prepare a dosage that wouldn't cause additional harm.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I could have sworn B Diddy had used those herbs on Oliver once for some reason. Am I misremembering?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Habibi posted:

I could have sworn B Diddy had used those herbs on Oliver once for some reason. Am I misremembering?

poo poo, I think you're right. Also

Holy poo poo. :bravo:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Habibi posted:

Also a curare bullet from Deadshot, right?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Also a curare bullet from Deadshot, right?

Yeah I think you might be right. It did strike me as odd at the time that they didn't just stuff him full of said herb, but maybe that's the thing - he couldn't chew/swallow it? Eh. Doesn't really matter that much.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Habibi posted:

Yeah I think you might be right. It did strike me as odd at the time that they didn't just stuff him full of said herb, but maybe that's the thing - he couldn't chew/swallow it? Eh. Doesn't really matter that much.

If it needs to be ingested it could always go in your butt. It's pretty much the same thing as far as absorption into the system.

:ese:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drifter posted:

But he'd need abs and delts. This IS The CW we're talking about. :colbert:

Fixed for you.

Been reading another forum, where people are complaining hand over fist about Meta powers and taking this show away from the "grounded" nature of it. loving idiots.

DC show, DC characters... DC powers. Get with the drat program.

Thank jeebus for The TV IV > Arrow.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Drifter posted:

If it needs to be ingested it could always go in your butt. It's pretty much the same thing as far as absorption into the system.

:ese:

Aaand that explains why they brought Barry in, instead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rocksicles posted:

Fixed for you.

Been reading another forum, where people are complaining hand over fist about Meta powers and taking this show away from the "grounded" nature of it. loving idiots.

DC show, DC characters... DC powers. Get with the drat program.

Thank jeebus for The TV IV > Arrow.

How dare these others for enjoying a grounded tv show on the basis of comics, and complaining if the show moves away from that basic premise. I'm not even sure how much superpowers we will see, so the complaints may be premature. But it is not like comic fans "own" the show, people who prefer a more down to earth approach (in comparison to outright superhero shows at least) have every right to be pissed if the show changes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Torrannor posted:

How dare these others for enjoying a grounded tv show on the basis of comics, and complaining if the show moves away from that basic premise. I'm not even sure how much superpowers we will see, so the complaints may be premature. But it is not like comic fans "own" the show, people who prefer a more down to earth approach (in comparison to outright superhero shows at least) have every right to be pissed if the show changes.

I for one love the idea of a show being 'grounded' for an extended amount of time before introducing supernatural elements. We never get it, though, because of these types who hate change and whine whenever the basic premise shifts. I'm looking forward to Arrow testing the approach out.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm someone who prefers grounded superhero stories to the more outlandish high science fiction that occasionally becomes popular in the field. (Man of Steel was a proudly SciFi film - and suffered mightily for it) And certainly, I think its valid to get squeamish at the show heading into uncharted waters, even if those uncharted waters are precisely the reason this season has been so engaging.

A few friends of mine have voiced the "I want the show to remain grounded!" concerns, and I usually end up defending the show decision to introduce superpowers. And my reasoning is a pretty simple one - We've never seen it before.

In the comics, Batman stories usually take place in a world completely devoid of superpowers or one overflowing with craziness. That actual transition between "mobsters with guns" to "lady who controls Plants" has never really been attempted in an ongoing form whatsoever. A lot of great Batman literature is about that transition - Long Halloween comes to mind. But they've all been limited series, meant to slot into that accordion of mythology.

Smallville actually started out with nice boundaries and organic explanations for powers - I'll defend the meteor shower as one of the few smart additions their creative team made. But the show so completely botched expanding the world out farther, into Metropolis and beyond.

I'm rambling here, but I hope this isn't entirely incoherent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

OH poo poo COMICS CHAT.

Nobody knows the character that he's playing. That one post someone mentioned is literally someone guessing with absolutely no evidence to back them up. They may end up being right but if if they are it's a really lucky guess. The name of his character is not the name of anyone in the comics.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm someone who prefers grounded superhero stories to the more outlandish high science fiction that occasionally becomes popular in the field. (Man of Steel was a proudly SciFi film - and suffered mightily for it) And certainly, I think its valid to get squeamish at the show heading into uncharted waters, even if those uncharted waters are precisely the reason this season has been so engaging.

A few friends of mine have voiced the "I want the show to remain grounded!" concerns, and I usually end up defending the show decision to introduce superpowers. And my reasoning is a pretty simple one - We've never seen it before.

In the comics, Batman stories usually take place in a world completely devoid of superpowers or one overflowing with craziness. That actual transition between "mobsters with guns" to "lady who controls Plants" has never really been attempted in an ongoing form whatsoever. A lot of great Batman literature is about that transition - Long Halloween comes to mind. But they've all been limited series, meant to slot into that accordion of mythology.

Smallville actually started out with nice boundaries and organic explanations for powers - I'll defend the meteor shower as one of the few smart additions their creative team made. But the show so completely botched expanding the world out farther, into Metropolis and beyond.

This is exactly what I was saying. I want to see characters witness supernatural events and be shocked and unsettled right along with them. You don't get that from a show where the supernatural revelations come in the pilot and are the show's basic premise. A show going with sorta-realism for a full season and a half before introducing powers puts us in the shoes of the characters a lot better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Torrannor posted:

But it is not like comic fans "own" the show

The show is literally owned by comic fans.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Narcissus1916 posted:

The got "good" again when it started adding DC Heroes and expanding outside Smallville. We are also talking about a world were there is an earthquake machine and other poo poo that is close to being supernatural anyways.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just finished Season 1.

:stare:

The balls on this show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Torrannor posted:

But it is not like comic fans "own" the show, people who prefer a more down to earth approach (in comparison to outright superhero shows at least) have every right to be pissed if the show changes.

2/3rd of the creators of the show are comic writers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

I don't disagree with the extrapolation on why going from an unpowered to powered universe over the course of a season is a good thing that has never been done before, but I do disagree with the (entirely subjective) that Man of Steel suffered by being SciFi. Of anything wrong with MoS, being about an alien from the planet Krypton was not the problem.

But that is going to be the interesting things about the back half of season 2: we're going to be watching superpowers emerge into a world where they've been rather hidden/non-existent up to this point. It opens the door to the traditionally Marvel plot of normal people vs. metahumans.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bobkatt013 posted:

2/3rd of the creators of the show are comic writers.

I reacted to someone who called fans who disagreed with the supposed move to more superpowers "idiots", it was merely a try to push back against the mentality that all non-comic reading fans of Arrow should piss off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Warmachine posted:

But that is going to be the interesting things about the back half of season 2: we're going to be watching superpowers emerge into a world where they've been rather hidden/non-existent up to this point. It opens the door to the traditionally Marvel plot of normal people vs. metahumans.

I look forward to the ever increasing amount of gimmick arrows Ollie needs in order to successfully fight superpowered people. Especially if they have fun with it instead of them all being serious

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You know, it boggles the mind that two of the show runners (Guggenheim and Berlanti) were behind the Green Lantern movie.

WHY YOU COULDN'T BE EQUALLY AWESOME BACK THEN? :qq:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Nobody knows the character that he's playing. That one post someone mentioned is literally someone guessing with absolutely no evidence to back them up. They may end up being right but if if they are it's a really lucky guess. The name of his character is not the name of anyone in the comics.

Okay well look at how many posts about the Flash, how he got his powers, who he is etc have been made and it's all knowledge gleaned from the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You know, it boggles the mind that two of the show runners (Guggenheim and Berlanti) were behind the Green Lantern movie.

WHY YOU COULDN'T BE EQUALLY AWESOME BACK THEN? :qq:

Maybe it was a learning experience for them?

• Locked thread