Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

TrixRabbi posted:

So this may have come up in the past but what is the legality of using Hola Unblocker to access other country's Netflix libraries?

I was arrested by the Internet Police and I am typing this from cyberjail.

You're accessing the service you pay for, just not from where you say you are. At most you're probably violating the end user license agreement but I doubt they care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I don't think they care. I tried both Hola and a different DNS on my ps3 and while they work, I couldn't get anything in HD and a few things were actually window-boxed. I thought it might have to do with different TV formats but it happened on the Canadian feed as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure they don't care, I've been using the US Netflix from my ps3 for nearly a year, I'm in Ireland and have never had any trouble. I can get full Hd streams with no problem.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Hola Unblocker still doesn't work for me, even after cancelling the DVD option. :(

I guess the billing info carries over if you switch from DVD to streaming only.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

TrixRabbi posted:

So this may have come up in the past but what is the legality of using Hola Unblocker to access other country's Netflix libraries?

I spoke with Netflix chat support about something else, and figured I could always bring that issue up as well. The guy congratulated me on my ability to travel through time and space and said Netflix doesn't care.

(I'm not making this up, as strange as it sounds)

e: although for the last few weeks I can't do HD anymore.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Grawl posted:

I spoke with Netflix chat support about something else, and figured I could always bring that issue up as well. The guy congratulated me on my ability to travel through time and space and said Netflix doesn't care.

I think the only way they would care would be if one of the companies they get their content from got it into their heads that Netflix wasn't doing enough to prevent users from seeing content not licensed in their country and threatened to pull content or litigate for breach of contract. Beyond that, I can't imagine Netflix caring since, if anything, it makes it more likely the customer will stay subscribed because of the additional content.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azathoth posted:

I think the only way they would care would be if one of the companies they get their content from got it into their heads that Netflix wasn't doing enough to prevent users from seeing content not licensed in their country and threatened to pull content or litigate for breach of contract. Beyond that, I can't imagine Netflix caring since, if anything, it makes it more likely the customer will stay subscribed because of the additional content.

Hopefully, if companies do notice it, they see it as a sign they can make money off of streaming it to a US audience as well to meet the demand for it. But that might be hoping for a bit much.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

No Longer Flaky posted:

If you love terrible movies check out "House" and "House 2: The second story". House was good, but house 2 is much better.

Anyone got some good bad movie recommendations?
Lair of the White Worm is amazing, although I haven't seen either House movie to know if it's the same type of 'bad' you are looking for.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Hola Unblocker still doesn't work for me, even after cancelling the DVD option. :(

I guess the billing info carries over if you switch from DVD to streaming only.

I dropped my dvd service when I moved to China specifically for this purpose. When I first got here streaming did not work, when I dropped it it began working the next day. Not sure why it isn't working for you but I don't think that's it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hopefully, if companies do notice it, they see it as a sign they can make money off of streaming it to a US audience as well to meet the demand for it. But that might be hoping for a bit much.

It doesn't exactly work that way. Distribution rights are weird.

But this is great. Can't wait for finals to end so I can dig around more. By the way, Pumping Iron is on UK Netflix.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

david_a posted:

Lair of the White Worm is amazing, although I haven't seen either House movie to know if it's the same type of 'bad' you are looking for.

Yes it is, to both parts of this sentence.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A given movie not being on US Netflix isn't because they don't realize they can make money off it. Usually it's because they can make more off it with some other deal.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Grawl posted:

That's the way I look at it. As far as Netflix are concerned I can teleport myself and my xbox to America whenever I want to watch Star Trek.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

david_a posted:

Awesome thanks for the recommendation.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

axleblaze posted:

Disregard my earlier mention of Computer Chess. It is very bad.

I missed the other warnings in this thread and watched it, at least for the first hour. It was super bad. There were some funny parts at the beginning, and for a while I was watching it laughing at just how bad it was, but it just got unbearable at the hour mark. Somehow this movie has a 74 Metacritic score, and 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. I feel like this is all a cruel prank.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah it's not a movie for most people--I was surprised to see so many recommendations for it. You definitely want to watch a Bujalski flick before going in so you know what to expect.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Is his schtick making bad films on purpose? There were shots in Computer Chess that I would think even a student film-maker would edit out. I was forgiving on the acting because I figured these were all essentially non-actors, but the "cinematography" was pretty atrocious.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Meltathon posted:

Is his schtick making bad films on purpose?

It's been labeled 'mumblecore', a style of film he created that goes for super minimal/ultra realistic shots. People don't live and interact in a world of perfect studio lighting and sound, and mumblecore tries to capture that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hiNC7uKY1Y

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I watched some of Computer Chess when I was tired (so I couldn't handle the really awkward "so you're a girl programmer" scene), but all that I saw was pretty good. My guess is that the likely reason for all the "it sucks" content-free reviews, or even the "I made a better film in high school" criticism is that it hits a bit too close to home for a lot of goons. Even so, I don't really understand the negative reaction: I went to some big Artificial Intelligence lectures in college and I had the biggest, stupidest grin on my face during the entire "panel discussion" scene before the competition.

edit:

Also, The Comedy basically starred my rear end in a top hat ex-roommate, minus the trust fund. Heidecker's hair and wardrobe was even punchably similar.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 10, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I watched some of Computer Chess when I was tired (so I couldn't handle the really awkward "so you're a girl programmer" scene), but all that I saw was pretty good. My guess is that the likely reason for all the "it sucks" content-free reviews, or even the "I made a better film in high school" criticism is that it hits a bit too close to home for a lot of goons. Even so, I don't really understand the negative reaction: I went to some big Artificial Intelligence lectures in college and I had the biggest, stupidest grin on my face during the entire "panel discussion" scene before the competition.

Could you at least fininsh the movie before dismissing all complaints as "goons just being insecure".

I didn't find the movie funny, like at all. I was bored most of the time and the only time I was laughing at it was when I was laughing at how dumb it was. I've seen people describe it as dry but I just didn't even see it as even really being funny like at all. Like, I didn't even see the things that were meant to be funny.

There just wasn't alot in this movie. It was a bunch of run on story lines that don't go anywhere. At best they make some half hearted "this real life thing is like Chess" thing that just feels half baked and dumb. I never though I'd say this but one of the main things this movie keeps doing is something Battleship does so much better (and I don't even love Battleship).

The characters are just awkward and that seems to be their sole characteristic and the sole place where the humor is coming from. It's not even really a hemurous awkward, it's just sort of there and it's not fun or interesting to watch. There's a scene later in a hotel room that just goes on and on and I just wanted it to end yet it kept going on. Alot of the deeper stuff going on in the movie is just kind of surface level dumb stuff that wasn't nearly as interesting as the movie seemed to think it was.

And yes, it was also just kind of ugly and badly shot, with some film techniques just being thrown in because I guess the pointless bad film techniques are supposed to be funny or something.

The movie was like being stuck in a room with uninteresting, awkward people and then being convinced to stay because your friend insists that "these people are hilarious!". I really just despised this movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Also, The Comedy basically starred my rear end in a top hat ex-roommate, minus the trust fund. Heidecker's hair and wardrobe was even punchably similar.

Has he ever said "I'm down with the hoooood"?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Computer Chess only seems badly acted until you've watched some early 80s episodes of The Computer Chronicles, at which point you realize they did an amazing job of capturing the time, place and people.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Has he ever said "I'm down with the hoooood"?

Whats funny about that scene and made me feel a lot the dialog was ad lib was when he said "you cant stab me" He was actually stabbed by a crazy neighbor a couple years ago. His roll in that part has given me a lot of respect for his acting and comedy timing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think he told the story at a Q&A for the movie, even. I think what I like so much about Heidecker in particular is that there's a really unfun and unpleasant kind of angle to his comedy persona. It's not "dark", it's not Doug Stanhope but there is this kind of instantly identifiable, low-level misanthropy that makes me laugh a lot because he is often the butt of the joke.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I think he told the story at a Q&A for the movie, even. I think what I like so much about Heidecker in particular is that there's a really unfun and unpleasant kind of angle to his comedy persona. It's not "dark", it's not Doug Stanhope but there is this kind of instantly identifiable, low-level misanthropy that makes me laugh a lot because he is often the butt of the joke.

He cranks this up whenever he appears on Comedy Bang! Bang! It either makes for a great show or kills it completely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So according to the PSN news icons, Justified's fourth season is hitting Prime tommorow, for any of you who've been waiting for that.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Sightseers and Berberian Sound Studio were conveniently just added.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm sure peep show has probably gotten a lot of love in this thread but if you're on the fence about it check it out. It's great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

foodfight posted:

Both of these movie's rule.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I always knew he wasn't remotely like his character and was probably actually a nice guy, since generally people putting on comedic personas tend to go in the exact opposite direction of their actual personalities, but it was still a shock to hear him be fairly down to earth and pleasant on WTF. He's a great heel.

morestuff posted:

He cranks this up whenever he appears on Comedy Bang! Bang! It either makes for a great show or kills it completely.

I think his John Ent-Whistles bit was one of his best, because he played a funny and disagreeable poo poo without derailing the show; basically any time they get him on with Jon Daly it's almost guaranteed amazing.

E: He plays a funny and disagreeable poo poo who's working a funny premise, rather than just a person who seems very pissed off that he's in a room with a microphone. He's been getting a lot better with that and it makes me wonder if he's been doing improv work to broaden his abilities.

foodfight posted:

If you haven't seen Berberian Sound Studio you now have one less excuse not to, goddamn it. Sightseers is also good, but if you only watch one, make sure it's Berberian.

---

Glick Doesn't Do Red Carpet is up, and it was funny, but mostly just made me miss Primetime Glick.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 10, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Oh poo poo, is BSS on American Netflix? Totally watching that when I get home for Christmas break and have access to a better surround sound system.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it cannot be emphasized enough that you should watch BSS with the best sound system that you can. Actually, if you're gonna watch it alone, just use headphones.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Man I just could NOT get into BSS. :sigh: I guess I have to give it another shot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

foodfight posted:

Excellent, excellent movies.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Since you guys were mentioning Hola Unblocker, I have a sort of technical question. Is it possible to use this with the netflix app (android) and Chromecast, or is this a desktop only type deal?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Excellent, excellent movies.

Okay, so I added both movies to my list, but then saw that Sightseers is by the same guy who directed Kill List -- which was a rare miss for this thread with me. I hated that movie's unearned, left-field ending. Should I even bother with Sightseers?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The end of the third season of Louie, New Year's Day, is a masterpiece.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

foodfight posted:

Oh my god, I can FINALLY watch BSS? Thank god. Gonna have to do that later tonight.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

atholbrose posted:

Okay, so I added both movies to my list, but then saw that Sightseers is by the same guy who directed Kill List -- which was a rare miss for this thread with me. I hated that movie's unearned, left-field ending. Should I even bother with Sightseers?

Probably not because Sightseers, like all Ben Wheatley movies, is totally rad and clearly you don't like rad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

atholbrose posted:

To answer seriously, yes, watch it. It's a very different movie and it rules. I liked Kill List but nearly as much as I loved Sightseers. I think Sightseers has my favorite ending of any movie in recent memory.

• Locked thread