Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just exactly what determines the rubber-banding for this event? The points you have on your main event, or your sub-event?

I managed to get from 100th place to 2nd place in the main Hunt bracket due to crazy rubberbanding on the Alaska bracket giving me 6k points, and now I'm getting barely any points from the Florida sub-event, even when starting at Rank 900 or so despite the top rankers in my Florida bracket having 6k points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So is starting a bracket late almost guaranteed a slacker bracket or is that pure speculation/superstition at this point.

I've done well joining with a couple hours left in the past but the weekend Thor tourney flipped the script for me. I had to work hard to break top 10 at the end because of some guys dominating my slacker bracket + my matchups were decked out Rags and spidermen which didn't help.

The other way to join an easy bracket is jumping in at non-peak hours. Middle of the night/early morning or when everyone is at work/class. I'm going to do the Dark Avengers event this way, gives you more time to climb up the progression rewards which you tend to miss out on when everyone joins at the last second and rapidly attacks each other for the final dash to the top.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Just exactly what determines the rubber-banding for this event? The points you have on your main event, or your sub-event?

I managed to get from 100th place to 2nd place in the main Hunt bracket due to crazy rubberbanding on the Alaska bracket giving me 6k points, and now I'm getting barely any points from the Florida sub-event, even when starting at Rank 900 or so despite the top rankers in my Florida bracket having 6k points.
I'm kind of curious, too. I'm now in the low 100s in the main event but went up into the top 100 in Florida (from below 900), and I don't even get any points anymore from the only repeatable Florida mission the game will let me do.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Ugh this Bad is Good tourney is a pain in the rear end. Not fun to play as these teams at all, seems to be such a slog.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

triplexpac posted:

Ugh this Bad is Good tourney is a pain in the rear end. Not fun to play as these teams at all, seems to be such a slog.

It would still be a slog, but I think it would be more fun if Rags weren't involved. He's so overpowered that when you're reduced to the other Dark Avengers, it's pretty much impossible to overcome. Bullseye/Daken is still a fun combo.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
*matches gems*

PHEROMONE RAGE
*clink clink*

PHEROMONE RAGE
*clink clink*

*gems fall*

ADAMANTIUM BONES
*clink*

ADAMANTIUM BONES
*clink*

Your turn!

...Yeah, this is quite the fun tournament. :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Phenotype posted:

Okay, I got my fourth purple Moonstone cover - do I use it? I have NO idea how she's supposed to be useful, or what build.

This is hardly speaking from experience but I just eyeballed her abilities myself.

Role: with the ability to shift special tiles and steal countdown tiles, she's got some stuff that can be useful fighting the various goons. Not sure if she's more desirable for it than "just nuke them" but she's saved my rear end a few times.

Red -- Take to 5. No reason not to. Damage is going to be all over the place, but as long as you don't automaticly use it whenever it's up it's a nice trick to have even alongside another red-nuker. Dark Avengers are mostly black/purple as well, so she's a handy red-user for this tournament (unless you have Ragnarok).

Black -- If not fighting goons there's very few countdown tiles so 3 points is as good as 5. If fighting goons take it to 5 for the stun. Either way at 17 black required it's not something you can always rely on. Do note that when she steals the countdown tile she makes it black, so be careful you don't swipe something awesome and watch it get shattered immediately.

Purple -- This is the odd one. If you could choose both tiles to swap it would definitely be one to take to 5. Since the special tile picked is random though it makes things a lot more chaotic, particularly if playing with Draken (since the second AP adds his attack tiles to the mix). For fighting goons I like it at 1-2 points since the painful abilities are purple or green. A third would be nice for greens as well but ideally you want to set it up so the warped tile gets shattered and there's usually going to be both purple and green on the board. For fighting players? :shrug: Bring another guy with a better purple ability.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

No Pants posted:

I'm kind of curious, too. I'm now in the low 100s in the main event but went up into the top 100 in Florida (from below 900), and I don't even get any points anymore from the only repeatable Florida mission the game will let me do.

It's the amount of points the leaders have and your relative rank within each individual "event" that determines the points you get in said event. I got a slack bracket for the main event and have been making sure I join the side events right when they become available then letting them sit until their almost up to grind them out. This method has been working very well for me and I was first in my main event bracket by a large margin for a while.

As for getting into a Slacker Bracket, I'd say that's pretty much luck at this point. I feel like a lot of times when I join up at the last minute there's always at least a couple of other people who are trying to rush to the top as well. I've been joining brackets at 6:00 AM EST (when I start work) on the day events end and have been getting middling results. I definitely feel you are increasing your risk of running into try-hards or whales if you join right away though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Deep Winter posted:

In theory, yes, but the more players that do this trick, the less useful it is. So eventually we might get to a point where the super whales join late and you gotta join early to get in with the newbies.
The super whales have no incentive to game the tournament brackets though since they're the ones with the ridiculously powerful teams that never get crabbed down.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

The super whales have no incentive to game the tournament brackets though since they're the ones with the ridiculously powerful teams that never get crabbed down.

Not necessarily. I've reached the point where every tournament the only matches I can get are maxed out Spider-Man and maxed out Ragnarok teamed up with whatever the required character for that tournament is. Those people get attacked too, just probably not by quite as many people.

I really wish I could bring myself to flop in some tournaments so I could bring that down some.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Still waiting on a slacker bracket for this DA tournament. Not looking forward to it, will probably just grab some of the easier prizes and be done. The only thing worse than fighting a team with Daken and Bullseye is fighting a team with Daken and Bullseye with Daken and Bullseye. It'd be pretty awesome if Loki could be in this. He should pretend to join them for a bit.

Anyway, all that doesn't matter right now, because its :black101: DINOSAUR TIME! :black101: I hope if there's ever an ending to the story line it's "open the door, get on the floor, Norman gets eaten by a dinosaur".

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So is starting a bracket late almost guaranteed a slacker bracket or is that pure speculation/superstition at this point.

I don't think joining late gets you in a slacker bracket so much as it gets you a bracket where nobody has had time to get very far ahead. It also gives you a lower score which makes you less of a target for others. Usually when I join late there are at least 10 other people (maybe more in the bigger brackets) whose points totals are climbing the whole time. Getting #1 hasn't really been made "easier", because you're still competing with people with better teams. The scores are just smaller.

So it may be more possible to get to the top because of the limited time, but you are definitely not getting the "I'm at #1 with 200 points more than the next guy because no one's trying" type of thing you'd associate with a real slacker bracket.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I just pulled a Red Ragnarok cover from a standard token on one of the repeatables. Immediately used my banked HP to bring it to level 5. See you plebes later. :smug:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Erebus posted:

I don't think joining late gets you in a slacker bracket so much as it gets you a bracket where nobody has had time to get very far ahead. It also gives you a lower score which makes you less of a target for others. Usually when I join late there are at least 10 other people (maybe more in the bigger brackets) whose points totals are climbing the whole time. Getting #1 hasn't really been made "easier", because you're still competing with people with better teams. The scores are just smaller.

So it may be more possible to get to the top because of the limited time, but you are definitely not getting the "I'm at #1 with 200 points more than the next guy because no one's trying" type of thing you'd associate with a real slacker bracket.

Starting late gets you 5-10 people who end up with top tier scores, but starting early will land you in the middle of a whole pack. You'll still need some effort to get whatever placement you're trying to get, but it's a hell of a lot easier than with 50-100 people all within 100 points of each other! With a top-tier team and boosts it really only takes 30-40 minutes to work your way up to the top score tier (overall, not within your bracket), so there's really no reason to start early unless you're doing boost-less ISO grinding and don't really care about the placement rewards.

You may not get a total slacker bracket, but starting late is usually way less intense than starting early.

Jibo posted:

It's the amount of points the leaders have and your relative rank within each individual "event" that determines the points you get in said event. I got a slack bracket for the main event and have been making sure I join the side events right when they become available then letting them sit until their almost up to grind them out. This method has been working very well for me and I was first in my main event bracket by a large margin for a while.

As for getting into a Slacker Bracket, I'd say that's pretty much luck at this point. I feel like a lot of times when I join up at the last minute there's always at least a couple of other people who are trying to rush to the top as well. I've been joining brackets at 6:00 AM EST (when I start work) on the day events end and have been getting middling results. I definitely feel you are increasing your risk of running into try-hards or whales if you join right away though.

See, that's what I thought, but I've been in events with folks thousands of points above me and still only received 10-20 points per mission. And had my repeatable mission go dry at rank 500! I originally thought that the repeatable missions reset over time, but it looks like its purely rubber-banding, and literally impossible to place highly without doing the IW missions.

Other times, though, I've been close to top ranked and received ~500 points per mission, so who knows?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 9, 2013

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just got 3 random pulls from event placing and a Facebook friend!

...a pair of Model 35's and a Venom that I've had maxxed out for weeks. Awesome.

Also, why the gently caress is Classic Hawkeye a reward in this tournament? Who the hell even uses him at this point?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

15000 points in The Hunt, got the Heroic Recruit Token. Invisible Woman, hooray! :toot: Now to never ever use her except to get into the missions where she's mandatory.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

McDragon posted:

15000 points in The Hunt, got the Heroic Recruit Token. Invisible Woman, hooray! :toot: Now to never ever use her except to get into the missions where she's mandatory.

I've been running a lvl 50 IM35, a lvl 28 IM40, and I vary between C Hawkeye and M Hawkeye and I'm sitting at 13000-something.

I feel like I'm way behind most in this game from discovering it late, but I'm abusing the hell out of some boosts.

I wish there was a counter to see how many times I've done the repeatable Alaska mission. I couldn't do anything above it. I finished the latest Alaska at #4 and was up to 2 a couple of times.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Got the 8000 point heroic token.... Grey Widow green :toot:

I got her at 2/3/4 ... now I just need the iso to level her up (and IM40, Doctor Doom, hawkeye modern, etc).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Also, why the gently caress is Classic Hawkeye a reward in this tournament? Who the hell even uses him at this point?

Hawkeye Classic? Oh, you mean 100 ISO.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Stickman posted:

You may not get a total slacker bracket, but starting late is usually way less intense than starting early.

It's definitely less of a hassle than starting early, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying it's not the same as getting a "true" slacker bracket. I think with this Dark Avengers event I'm going to try joining at some terrible time in the middle of the night and see where that puts me.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

New Leaf posted:

I just got 3 random pulls from event placing and a Facebook friend!

...a pair of Model 35's and a Venom that I've had maxxed out for weeks. Awesome.

I do. I run him with Bullseye and Wolverine or Magneto.

EDIT: To clarify, it's really just Bullseye and Hawkeye + somebody to soak up some damage. I mostly run Wolverine because he can healtank pretty well. Stacking criticals for Murderous Aim is surprisingly easy when you play on a lab map and a placeable (ensuring it doesn't pop) crit tile for 14 AP. My record so far for most crits on the board without any being triggered is 6.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 9, 2013

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is there a way to dissassociate my Facebook with the game and register a new (fake) one and join the group posted in the OP?

Nevermind it's in the OP as well and too much of a pain.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I do. I run him with Bullseye and Wolverine or Magneto.

But why? Hawkeye classic is awful at everything. His abilities are expensive and don't really have a high payoff. There are better ways to make critical tiles and better ways to smash boards.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
The one downside to slacker brackets is that you're a lot less likely to get the high, like 700+ point progression rewards, you have to weigh what is worth more to you.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Shwqa posted:

But why? Hawkeye classic is awful at everything. His abilities are expensive and don't really have a high payoff. There are better ways to make critical tiles and better ways to smash boards.

I edited my post a bit above. It might seem bad on paper, but it's only slightly horrible for PVP. It's my backup team for when my A team takes too much damage. Going for purples makes you tougher to kill (adamantium bones) while charging up your Hawkeye critical generator. Wolverine can tank for you and heal; combined with adamantium bones and healing factor, Wolverine is pretty much invincible except for saved up skill nukes. The only reason I don't use Yelena for maximum SA :psyduck: is because her crit generator uses black.

EDIT: I can't count the number of times I lost an otherwise easy pvp match because of support characters like Bullseye and Modern Storm.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Anyone got tips vs those Yelena fights or should I skip them and go straight to Oscorp? This new Dark Avengers event isn't looking too hot for my current lack of stuff - Moonstone is not very PVP oriented.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Any tips for getting that list of facebook friends to show up? I've been wanting to add my friend for a week but I can only get the list of people I've already sent stuff to.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Erebus posted:

It's definitely less of a hassle than starting early, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying it's not the same as getting a "true" slacker bracket. I think with this Dark Avengers event I'm going to try joining at some terrible time in the middle of the night and see where that puts me.

That's a good idea - maybe join like 12 hours off the event end time and try to get folks who won't be awake for the end of the event?

WetSpink posted:

The one downside to slacker brackets is that you're a lot less likely to get the high, like 700+ point progression rewards, you have to weigh what is worth more to you.

In PvP events, your opponents are drawn from everyone in the event, not just your bracket. You can climb as high as anyone else, whether your bracket is slacking or not. With the crazy rubber-banding, you're definitely correct about PvE events, it hasn't been too much of a problem recently. Even slacker brackets have gone over the top progression rewards in the last few PvE events.

omnibobb posted:

I wish there was a counter to see how many times I've done the repeatable Alaska mission. I couldn't do anything above it. I finished the latest Alaska at #4 and was up to 2 a couple of times.

Did your repeatable missions never stop giving points? What's your rank in the main event? I'm becoming convinced that the rubber-banding in the sub-events is based solely on your position in the main event. I'm #3 in the main event, and I'm sitting at 1600 points in Florida and getting no points from any of my repeatable missions, despite the top players in my Florida bracket having ~9000 points. Similarly, I'm at 22 points in Savage (to the top player's 5000), and I'm still only getting ~10 points per match. When I dropped to rank 100 in the main event, I was getting ~300 points per mission.

Kind of a weird system, since it means that ranking highly in the main event makes it literally impossible to rank highly in the sub-events, but I guess its a good way get newer players some free ISO. Until everyone else starts intentionally tanking their main event score.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

Anyone got tips vs those Yelena fights or should I skip them and go straight to Oscorp? This new Dark Avengers event isn't looking too hot for my current lack of stuff - Moonstone is not very PVP oriented.

Yelena herself is very weak. She tends to be teamed with powerful npcs who are really the problem. Modern Storm and Captain can really lock down npcs while you mop up.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Just opened my hero pack from finishing top 200 in Alaska and... legendary invisible woman!
Never going to get another level for her, was just hoping for a final Thor red.

Edit: I have him all threes right now, is his green power that bad in scaling, I use his red and yellow a lot and thing 5/5/3 is best, but if it going to take this long to get packs might go 5/4/4

take me you ANIMAL fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 9, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Just opened my hero pack from finishing top 200 in Alaska and... legendary invisible woman!
Never going to get another level for her, was just hoping for a final Thor red.

Edit: I have him all threes right now, is his green power that bad in scaling, I use his red and yellow a lot and thing 5/5/3 is best, but if it going to take this long to get packs might go 5/4/4

5/5/3 is best but there isn't a world of difference between that and 5/4/4. 11 yellow cost is the same amount of 3 tile matches as 12 yellow cost. Course thanks to spamming thor's red you are very likely to get 4 match yellows.

However I team my 5/5/3 thor with a 5/4/4 IM40. That way my AI will use thor's ability instead of IM40 recharge, which cost 12 yellow ap at level 4.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 9, 2013

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Also a quick question, I am just capping out one toon for now and keeping the others above dying. Is this a good strategy early on or should I build a rounded group? I obviously focus my matches for their powers and damage. Is there a reason to not level them to cap before raising the lesser characters?

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
How is Dr. Doom? I just pulled him from a recruit token and I was all excited about getting a 3-star but his abilities honestly don't look very good.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with the 'Who is this clown?' mission? the fights are mostly just a loving mashup of

PISTOL

PISTOL

PISTOL

ROCKET

MORALE BOOST

MORALE BOOST

And I literally can't take more than the grenaider down.

What makes it worse is that they automatically generate AP so I can't really lock them out of anything.
Also the game gives you a lovely hawkeye which means I either choose Storm or Black Widow because my Captain American and Wolverine are both level 6 and will most likely never get upgraded and the only good dude I have is a level 16 M35 Iron man.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

IAmUnaware posted:

How is Dr. Doom? I just pulled him from a recruit token and I was all excited about getting a 3-star but his abilities honestly don't look very good.

He has potential. His blue adds black to the board, and his black does a lot of damage when he's leveled. No character, 3 star or otherwise, is worth much with one cover. Hang onto him, you'll get more eventually.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

So how do I attach the game on my mobile to a fake facebook account?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Dizz posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with the 'Who is this clown?' mission? the fights are mostly just a loving mashup of

PISTOL

PISTOL

PISTOL

ROCKET

MORALE BOOST

MORALE BOOST

And I literally can't take more than the grenaider down.

What makes it worse is that they automatically generate AP so I can't really lock them out of anything.
Also the game gives you a lovely hawkeye which means I either choose Storm or Black Widow because my Captain American and Wolverine are both level 6 and will most likely never get upgraded and the only good dude I have is a level 16 M35 Iron man.

It takes some time, but you'll get there. Black Widow's level 5 stun is really good - hint use it on the commander guy. Iron Man will do the majority of the damage, but watch out for the rockets - Hawkeye can remove them for 9 red though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dizz posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to deal with the 'Who is this clown?' mission?

Well your levels are pretty low so that is the main problem you get there. I would do the next mission for a while and some pvp until your team is little stronger.

Also all 3 wolverine covers are a drop in one of the last missions on the prologue, so you will be able to upgrade him in time. After spending your hero points into about 20-25 covers, it would be a bad idea to spend 2000 on maxing his green covers.

And when the red iso mission comes around it is really easy to grab 5-13 covers of the Captain (america).

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 10, 2013

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
How the hell do I delete people from my roster. I dont want iron man or storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Hit the Roster button next to train, tap their cover, should be a sell button. But why do you want to get rid of those two, they're very good early-mid game characters?