Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Would be great if you could eugenics creatures. Break down their DNA and shove together whatever parts you want for your own custom design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

maketakunai posted:

It might be possible to dump all your stuff in a locker on a planet (not your ship, since that's per-character) and be able to keep it after the update, if it doesn't modify worldgen. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Doesn't each universe start out virgin when you make a new character?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

New Leaf posted:

So there's no point in starting today if they're about to wipe everything, right? Bummer.

It's still worth checking out t he first steps so you don't go in all confused and get a good idea of what you can do to speed things up.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Oh my god, Pokemon. This will be amazing. I am F5ing the Starbound page like crazy.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

E-Tank posted:

Doesn't each universe start out virgin when you make a new character?

no, all your offline chars are in the same universe and can see each others change and such if they go to the same planet

since the game stores deltas of your changes on top of the generated planets it is unclear what happens when they modify world gen though, although it seems they don't necessarily force a wipe when they change world gen (like they did in last patch when they changed the ores spawn rates)

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I want Starbound to adopt the concepts of googrid with all this planetary stuff.

Maybe that game is just No Man's Sky.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

babies havin rabies posted:

Nice, it's literally Pokémon

I've been crossing my fingers they would do the pets like Pokemon and bam, they do. I love this game. :swoon:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

I made an obligatory "explore planet while playing musical instrument" video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EX71OkS0nY

Link to the .abc file you used for that? I feel I could get some mileage out of that.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

The Deadly Hume posted:

God I hope there's a Kerbal planet as an easter egg.

Where your first 99 spaceships fall apart and explode and make you feel stupid, but the experience makes you really appreciate #100.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRgUQbIq0Bk

After the wipe i really badly need a saxophone....

Fat lute link for the .abc

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
How do you harvest the molten core?

Does dying do anything other than the obvious sending you back to the mothership?

Are there stats to level up or just better gear?

Is the best way to get gear(drops) to just run around near the core of the planet or is there another way that's better?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

PaybackJack posted:

Does dying do anything other than the obvious sending you back to the mothership?

Chews through your goddamn money like nobody's business.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PaybackJack posted:

huh?

Molten Core is an item that the first boss drops yo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Starbound twitter just linked this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk73l8MKFo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Is the best way to get gear(drops) to just run around near the core of the planet or is there another way that's better?

If by molten core you mean the item to make the forge, then you need to make a Distress Beacon and kill the boss it summons.

Gear is your stats.

Best way to get gear is to run around on planets of the highest threat level for your sector and loot chests/villages or buy from merchants if you have enough pixels.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Robzilla posted:

The Royal Penis is clean Your Highness.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PaybackJack posted:

Molten Core drops from the first boss, which is summoned by using the Distress Beacon. It's a really difficult fight and you should have iron armor, a shield from a high-level planet, and a decent ranged weapon before you attempt it

You lose 20% of your pixels when you die.

Stats are entirely gear-based.

The best weapons drop from mini-bosses, which are large, red-glowing monsters that spawn at a rate of one per planet. Right now, the only remotely reliable source of guns is from Avian pirate merchants, who you'll find aboard Avian airships that spawn on some planets. You can tell where they are from the ground by the presence of their anchor.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Bottom Liner posted:

The Starbound twitter just linked this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk73l8MKFo

Holy poo poo, this is the best thing.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bottom Liner posted:

:allears:
Alright, everyone nothing can top this.
Just go home.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I kinda hope I can get home before the wipe happens so I can make another video and not come anywhere close to topping that

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

:allears:
Alright, everyone nothing can top this.
Just go home.

I hope that he can store his poo poo and get it back so he can keep making these awesome videos.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PaybackJack posted:

Build the Distress Beacon and fight the boss.

PaybackJack posted:

You lose 20% of your pixels. I've found the best way to stop bleeding money is to keep a large stock of ore and refine into pixels or smelt into ingots as needed. Money's kind of useless though at the moment.

PaybackJack posted:

Just gear.

PaybackJack posted:

You have to craft your armor yourself. This requires mining or looting the ingots necessary. The difficulty gap between silver and gold/steel is the biggest as of yet, but will probably change. Higher valued ores are found deeper on high threat level planets, but looting is a good way if you're lucky. I was able to upgrade my pick to platinum based on loot I found.

Weapons are easier to get from looting. You should craft your initial tier weapons but to find better weapons the best way is to explore high threat level planets. Weapon drops or purchases have an armor penetration level that corresponds to the threat level of the planet they were acquired on. Armor penetration is basically weapon level, you want to have the highest level possible before other stats such as damage or fire rate matter.

Avian sky pirates are the best source for guns, but sometimes the quartermaster on the top deck gets killed by mobs. Villages are good sources of melee weapons. Avian temples usually have a good amount of gold and a lot of guards who drop weapons and sometimes shields.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 9, 2013

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So when's the character wipe? I really hope it happens since Butts decided it would be hilarious to poo poo all over my house without saying anything.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Bottom Liner posted:

If you pay attention closely they use several tricks over the course of the video. For instance, the last few chords in the video don't come from the band that is walking. If you listen closely to the stereo panning you can hear that the sound is coming from a point behind them...possibly a second band buried under the surface for the sole purpose of having those last few notes perfectly synchronized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk73l8MKFo&t=156s

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 9, 2013

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do planetary mini-bosses ever respawn?

I'm curious for Pokemon purposes.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Pakled posted:

Molten Core drops from the first boss, which is summoned by using the Distress Beacon. It's a really difficult fight and you should have iron armor, a shield from a high-level planet, and a decent ranged weapon before you attempt it

You lose 20% of your pixels when you die.

Stats are entirely gear-based.

I wish I had known this yesterday. At least I can use this knowledge after the wipe and not call down the space penguin of death without being ready for it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Avynte posted:

Do planetary mini-bosses ever respawn?

I'm curious for Pokemon purposes.

You can only capture baby monsters.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Arsonide posted:

If you pay attention closely they use several tricks over the course of the video. For instance, the last few chords in the video don't come from the band that is walking. If you listen closely to the stereo panning you can hear that the sound is coming from a point behind them...possibly a second band buried under the surface for the sole purpose of having those last few notes perfectly synchronized.

If you go fast enough you can outrun your own song.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Lucid Delusion posted:

I wish I had known this yesterday. At least I can use this knowledge after the wipe and not call down the space penguin of death without being ready for it.

There's a combat overhaul in this upcoming patch so things might COMPLETELY change. But basically what I did was craft iron weapon, go to TL 5 planet, kill NPC humanoids on the planet until they dropped a better weapon. Go to TL of that weapon, repeat. I wound up fighting the UFO with a 15 Armor Penetration longsword that did close to 300 damage per swing to the UFO.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

You can only capture baby monsters.

Ah, okay didn't realize that was the case. Thanks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FraudulentEconomics posted:

There's a combat overhaul in this upcoming patch so things might COMPLETELY change. But basically what I did was craft iron weapon, go to TL 5 planet, kill NPC humanoids on the planet until they dropped a better weapon. Go to TL of that weapon, repeat. I wound up fighting the UFO with a 15 Armor Penetration longsword that did close to 300 damage per swing to the UFO.

If you're impatient like me you can just look up the location of a TL10 sky pirate ship and get weapons from them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Stew Man Chew posted:

huh?

Molten Core is an item that the first boss drops yo.

I figured the Molten Core was from the core of the planet. Good to know. I was holding back fighting those penguins again until I had better stuff from the next level of forge.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

KoB posted:

If you go fast enough you can outrun your own song.

Well, technically you can do that in real life too. Realism! :v:

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

If you're impatient like me you can just look up the location of a TL10 sky pirate ship and get weapons from them.

I definitely need to do more exploring next time around. I only left the starting planet after I failed the mini boss fight and that was to find more silver to make another distress beacon.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I wish dig speed was relative to dig area. Like, if I'm shift-mining a single block at a time, it should be 4 times faster than mining a 2x2, or 9 times faster than mining a 3x3. Of course, I also want to be able to set arbitrary mining dimensions under this system - let me do 4x7s for underground living quarters, then change to 3x5s for digging comfortably walkable stairs into hell the mines.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Meis posted:

Link to the .abc file you used for that? I feel I could get some mileage out of that.

It's the Angry Aztec Boss song from Donkey Kong 64.

http://www.thefatlute.eu/rapid/view_song/a/7564

KoB
May 1, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, technically you can do that in real life too. Realism! :v:

Yeah but the speed of sound in starbound is pretty slow. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

XboxPants posted:

They also have some different food tolerances, though I'm not sure if that's implemented yet. I.E., only humans can properly handle chiles, only florans can eat oculemons, coralcreep for hylotl, etc.
Hylotl can handle chiles too, I got a recipe that used them when I made one.

I also fed myself mostly on oculemons, so if that is implemented it's not fully implemented.

And I personally am using the character wipes as an excuse to see what all the racial personalities are like. Different race every time.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Pakled posted:

The best weapons drop from mini-bosses, which are large, red-glowing monsters that spawn at a rate of one per planet.

I've definitely had 2-3 different mini bosses on the same planet. I guess it could have been a new one spawning further down the map after I killed the first one, but it looked completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zereth posted:

Hylotl can handle chiles too, I got a recipe that used them when I made one.

I also fed myself mostly on oculemons, so if that is implemented it's not fully implemented.

And I personally am using the character wipes as an excuse to see what all the racial personalities are like. Different race every time.

Florans have the Hotbone recipe as well, which is chili peppers and boneboos. It sets you on fire and gives you a speed boost for a few seconds. :3:

I was going to shamelessly steal someone else's ideas of making a Glitch each wipe and increasing it's version number every time I remade it, but I think I might have to give Apex a go next. I love their racial look and their descriptions when examining things are really cool, if depressing. I'd try Hyotyl but the sounds they make when they get hit are grating to me.

• Locked thread