Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Gone!

I managed to snag one, in the event that I like the (ugly purple) X I ordered for my wife last week. Moto sent out an email last week saying the storm in Texas is loving up their game and there's a delay on all products being sent out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

aaannndddd.... it's over.

e:f;b

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

Its inconsistant. The volume for Maps is loving terrible.

I used to have the same problem. I found that maps/navigation is part of the notification volume, not the media volume. Max that out and it should be more audible.

Sobriquet posted:

Hm...I take a pretty good amount of photos and even a few videos. I've had G+ make GIFs, panoramas, collages, and onion-skins, but never a movie so far. I think with certain phones there is a button that makes an album into an Auto-Awesome movie, but I guess there's no plan to expand that to older phones.

Google says that you need at least Android 4.3 for Auto Awesome videos. Not sure why that is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

I used to have the same problem. I found that maps/navigation is part of the notification volume, not the media volume. Max that out and it should be more audible.

Holy poo poo, I have been complaining about this forever. I never knew it used the notification volume. Will have to check that out. Thanks for posting this!

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Managed to get my order in right before the promotion started using hotsauce's code, the second the promotion starts I get an automated email saying my order's been cancelled. I hit up CS and they have no idea why it was cancelled, but in the system it was flagged as "security reasons". The CS rep is going to try to reinstate the order and let me know.

Anyone run into anything like this with the last batch of promotions? :iiam:

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
I'm a new stock android user with my nexus 5 and I'm wondering roughly how long to expect to wait for the 4.4.1 update to become available to me, in Canada (if that matters).

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

SmokeyXIII posted:

I'm a new stock android user with my nexus 5 and I'm wondering roughly how long to expect to wait for the 4.4.1 update to become available to me, in Canada (if that matters).

It's hard to say. Google does staged rollouts for updates, it doesn't really matter where you are, but it could take up to a week or two. If you unlocked your bootloader, you could always install the update manually. I'd just wait though.

And don't hammer the Check for update button. I think someone was saying that actually lowers your chances of getting it that day or something.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Looking for a job with no home/cell phone and UPS has lost my newly ordered Nexus 5 4 times thus far. Their support helpfully suggested I ask Google where it is. Seriously considering refusing delivery in favor of a Moto X's smaller form factor if I can get my hands on an unlocked one at 350 (I have no idea how people carry such large phones in the summer when you don't have jacket pockets).

False fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 9, 2013

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Geektox posted:

It's hard to say. Google does staged rollouts for updates, it doesn't really matter where you are, but it could take up to a week or two. If you unlocked your bootloader, you could always install the update manually. I'd just wait though.

And don't hammer the Check for update button. I think someone was saying that actually lowers your chances of getting it that day or something.

Yeah, basically.

There was a link a few pages back that explained the process. They push the update in waves, to make sure nothing goes horribly wrong. Each wave is a bigger random percentage that gets it, until everyone has it. You get one random roll per wave.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My 2013 Nexus 7 still hasn't gotten Kit Kat even.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I just learned about this this morning: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Very cool functionality, built in!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Anybody with a Moto X on KitKat: try rebooting and watching the boot animation.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/09/moto-x-fun-motorola-updates-boot-animation-to-holiday-theme-fixes-active-display-lag-with-update/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

This is very very cool and Makes me wish Id of gone moto x.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CloFan posted:

I just learned about this this morning: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

Except it never works. I have a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and both of them can never be located on that page.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Except it never works. I have a Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and both of them can never be located on that page.
I have the same devices and it works for me every time!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

False posted:

Looking for a job with no home/cell phone and UPS has lost my newly ordered Nexus 5 4 times thus far. Their support helpfully suggested I ask Google where it is. Seriously considering refusing delivery in favor of a Moto X's smaller form factor if I can get my hands on an unlocked one at 350 (I have no idea how people carry such large phones in the summer when you don't have jacket pockets).

Cargo jorts, it's in the thread title. Besides, you should have made a cardboard cutout first to make sure it fits.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I never get anything other than this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

Cargo jorts, it's in the thread title. Besides, you should have made a cardboard cutout first to make sure it fits.

Ahem. Utili-kilt for me, good sir.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Do you have location services all on?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Geektox posted:

Managed to get my order in right before the promotion started using hotsauce's code, the second the promotion starts I get an automated email saying my order's been cancelled.

Not surprised. Moto's e-commerce system is a nightmare. Hope it works out for you. In all transparency, I got the code from our favorite site, XDA. So it's technically thirdhand, so I'm not sure if that's why it's flagged.

Wouldn't see why as it was never used, but there's my disclaimer. I wanted to use it for my wife, but she is all about the iPhone. My sales pitch failed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

Do you have location services all on?

yes

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Make sure that android device manager is a device administrator under security settings.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Are you sure it isn't searching for one of your previous Nerxus Fahvs (haha)?

Edit: I noticed the "last used" date. I dunno, I checked today just cause and it worked. I don't remember setting anything up.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 9, 2013

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They did this for people opening them up on Christmas, right? How often do people have to reboot their phones?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

hotsauce posted:

Not surprised. Moto's e-commerce system is a nightmare. Hope it works out for you. In all transparency, I got the code from our favorite site, XDA. So it's technically thirdhand, so I'm not sure if that's why it's flagged.

Wouldn't see why as it was never used, but there's my disclaimer. I wanted to use it for my wife, but she is all about the iPhone. My sales pitch failed.

No worries, I snagged a code this morning just in case!

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Manos posted:

Make sure that android device manager is a device administrator under security settings.

Definitely check this. Even if you checked it before there was a Play Services update that silently turned it off.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sobriquet posted:

Definitely check this. Even if you checked it before there was a Play Services update that silently turned it off.

The wording in settings makes it sound like it would still find your device, just not lock or wipe it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Either way it's checked. I'm turning cycling it and rebooting.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

CloFan posted:

I wonder if i need to bother with Cerberus again now?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

SmokeyXIII posted:

You can sideload the update without being rooted or even unlocking the bootloader.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

The wording in settings makes it sound like it would still find your device, just not lock or wipe it.

I didn't set any special settings that I know of and mine can locate, ring, and password my device no problem. Didn't try wiping for obvious reasons.

E: should have said devices... Works for my stock Kindle Fire HD as well.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
http://imgur.com/XmkOUXh

So tacky. I love it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ahahaha that's wonderful.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
What was that auto-dimming app that replaces the stock brightness setting?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TenaciousTomato posted:

Lux.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&hl=en

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lux does that also.

that was it. thanks

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TenaciousTomato posted:

Lux. Everyone seems to love it, but when I used it, it wouldn't sit still. Constantly fluctuating like some kind of strobe light.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FogHelmut posted:

Lux. Everyone seems to love it, but when I used it, it wouldn't sit still. Constantly fluctuating like some kind of strobe light.

Turn off the auto mode then? It shouldn't fluctuate if you tell it not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Lux on the Play Store posted:

Note: The Nexus 5 plugin will be coming as soon as possible.
So I guess it doesn't work perfectly on the N5. Does anyone have it installed on the N5? Does it work at all?

• Locked thread